This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler Screenshots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fun with Inkscape

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobofat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fun with Inkscape
    Posted: 08 May 2009 at 8:10am
I'm probably a little different than most, but I have as much fun creating my companies as I do hauling the cargo around.  One tool that I've discovered for creating logos (as well as doing that nasty curvy lines on repaints) is Inkscape, a free vector-graphics program similar to Adobe Illustrator.  The advantage of vector over raster (your normal paint program) is that vectors can scale without any loss of fidelity, which makes working with curved lines, text, anything of that sort easier.  Just google Inkscape, there's lots of info out about it.

Anyway, I just started up my third company.  Pacific Northern Air Cargo is based in Sitka, Alaska.  I've loosely based the company on Pacific Northern Airlines, which was later absorbed into Western.  In any case, Pacific Northern flew mainly the Lockheed Constellation.  So this cargo company will be using all vintage propliners.  We opened up with a single DC-3, but plans are to include an amphibian DeHavilland Beaver for those small, short trips...and once well established, a Super Constellation (L-1049H).

Here's a series of logos that will be appearing on the different planes (I've displayed first the original Pacific Northern Airlines logo):

Otter:

Orca:

Bird:

Bear:

Salmon:

I'll post more of the first livery when it's complete, I want it to be just right!
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 11:57am
Very nice hobofat, thanks for the tipSmile
Mud View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 12:41pm
I DL'd Inkscape, might sink my teeth into it later.
Cool looking logo's Thumbs%20Up
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2009 at 1:06am
I love your first one--looks very authentic vintage! I'll look forward to seeing your planes with a dedicated livery on them. Wink

When I was a little kid, growing up in Juneau, they were just phasing out the PBY Catalinas that were used as the main passenger carrier between communities in Southeast Alaska. It was a cool era! Tongue
vegasjon View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vegasjon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2009 at 1:52am
Those look awesome! Great logos!
Jon Richardson
Air Hogs Cargo

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic