This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snowdonia/Peak District flying

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmr100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snowdonia/Peak District flying
    Posted: 25 Jan 2009 at 10:01am
Hi all

As I'm sure you know, the MOD own some space in various national parks, e.g. Brecon Beacons, for military training.

We're going to Snowdonia next month on a geography trip, we were told that there are sometimes military aircraft flying about. I was wondering, does anyone have any idea what these air bases could be, and also if there are any in the peak district? I hope this is in the right forum by the way... I'm intending to fly from some of them on FSX!

Dom
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2009 at 10:32am
Most of the traffic Snowdonia way will of course be from Valley, just across the water from Holyhead, however, low level traffic could be coming from anywhere in the UK (remember there aren't many bases left anymore!). Have a look here:

http://lowfly.net/9.html
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 10:45pm
some of the best views are around machynileth and the taly-clyn valley, also some of the mountain walks can be surprising. we were up one of them under low cloud when with a lot of noise a Harrier dropped out of the clouds alongside us ! he was around 50 yds away ! the pilot waved at us the shot back into the clouds ,Awesome !!
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic