This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Happy New Year to those still using Traffic X

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Soaranden Soaranden wrote:

I'm perfectly willing the move to something new, but only when its features, functions and benefits are worth making the change.

Yes, Traffic X was/is far from perfect but it was a good basis for doing the job it was sold to perform. If you took the time to work it out, you could/can create acceptable levels of AI.
Model and livery updates would have been an easy way to keep it up to scratch. Even, as Freddy has suggested before, a way to allow users to share their liveries, and even schedules, would have given TX a much longer life span.
Even after these years of using TX, I still haven't got round to checking/editing all of the schedules and now, after deciding to look into my T360 files, I am transferring some extra aircraft back from T360 to TX. This means a load more work to do on the existing schedules.

What fun!   

[EDIT]
I presume that, if I purchased Traffic Global, it would technically be possible to migrate the new aircraft back to TX - there's a horrible but interesting thought.    
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2019 at 3:23am
Originally posted by Pathfinder1` Pathfinder1` wrote:

It seems you three are the only ones still using Traffic X.

I'd guess there may still be some people out there still using it, just that they don't visit this forum.  We may never know.

Originally posted by Soaranden Soaranden wrote:

I'm still using Windows 7, too--although there are more than three of us doing so. Since I am dual booting Windows 7 ... yada yada

I could not agree more with everything you've said here.  Sentence for sentence, word for word.  Well written.

Originally posted by RayM RayM wrote:

Yes, Traffic X was/is far from perfect but it was a good basis for doing the job it was sold to perform ... yada yada

I concur.  It is nothing more than a glorified text file editor and folder manipulator.  But it does those tasks well enough, and it allows me to put AI planes in my skies.  I am happy.

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 7:03am

Well, it has been a busy day. Thanks very much to RayM for his offer of the C-17 model from Traffic 360. I now have the C-17 model imported in to Traffic X and flying in my sim.

Here's some screenshots of the C-17 in RAAF livery (Royal Australian Air Force), which, incidentally, I had to repaint.

Things to note in the screenshots ...

1) I have done some config file editing and moved the fuselage strobe light from the top of the fuselage to the underside of the fuselage (that's where it is in real life). The moved strobe is not noticeable in these screenshots as I just couldn't get my timing right to capture the flash when I took the shots.

2) In addition to moving that strobe on the fuselage, I also added a strobe light to the top of the vertical stabilizer (tail fin). Again, there's one there in real life. I did manage to capture that newly placed strobe in the third screenshot.

3) Finally, I edited the night texture to showcase the refuel/formation strips. In the day, these are visible as reflective yellow strips on the side of the aircraft, the vertical stabiliser, and the winglets ... but at night, with the flick of a switch in the cockpit, they become bright green glowing strips. In combat situations these would be turned off and only used dring formation flying and for mid-air refuelling. It was quite a challenge for me to get that green glow "just right" in the texture ... but, in the end, I think I nailed it. (Sadly, I don't think these small screenshots show it off very well, but I think you'll all get the idea.) The edited night texture works for all of the liveries that Just Flight provided for the C-17, and not just my Australian repaint. If you want to see just how bright these strips are in real life, then take a look at this YouTube link: C-17 Night Takeoff.

A massive thankyou to RayM for providing me with the Traffic 360 model. The C-17 is quite prominent here in Australia and I've never been happy that it was missing from my (Traffic X) sim skies. That issue has now been resolved.

Thankyou Ray!

Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2019 at 12:04pm
Nicely done, freddy.

I've been using the UKMIL C-17 as AI. I hadn't seen it for a while, particularly with the night lighting, so I took a new look at it in FSX. For comparison, here's how the UKMIL model of a Royal Australian Air Fore C-17 looks. It's similar, but I'm sure yours runs more efficiently.

Very nice job, freddy!

Dan

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2019 at 1:50am

That UKMIL model looks damn good. Those refuelling/formation strips on it do stand out very well. (I'm just not sure about how "squashed" the words "Royal Australian Air Force" are on the fore fuselage of your model there ... that doesn't look correct to me when compared with real-world images.)

As for efficiency, that would depend on the number of polygons and whether mipmaps are used. After I do a repaint, I use an old program called DXTBmp to create and save the texture files. It includes an option to create and include Mipmaps whenever the work is saved. Therefore, my repaint does indeed have Mipmaps. I know nothing of UKMIL's textures, what format they are saved in, and whether they include Mipmaps ... so I cannot comment on those.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic