This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

another airline has ceased

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grth_bbtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: another airline has ceased
    Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 8:38am

This year certainly seems a bad year for the airlines a OASIS HONG KONG have just announced they will be ceasing operations as of today. due to losses of upto 100 million dollars they really have no chance of going no year.

a shame as its an airline i see regulaly at gatwick and they also done a few airshows.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 9:22am
Unfortunately the Hong Kong route is one rife with competition. Oasis also have a real lack of marketing in the UK, which is a shame. How does an airline expect bookings when potential customers have no idea they exist? Ask ten members of the public if they have heard of Oasis, I bet at least 75% will say no
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 3:34pm
The only reason I know of them was their initial low fares publicity. Sadly I fear their business model may have been doomed on the basis that those not buying low-fare tickets would just go Cathay or BA etc!
GBL View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 5:00pm
Sad yes. I'm wondering if any UK airlines will fold? ( Silverjet , Air Southwest ).
Aircraft Engines are the sound of Freedom.

ART
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 5:01pm
Weren't EOS and Silverjet having problems? Or was it just EOS?
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

Weren't EOS and Silverjet having problems? Or was it just EOS?

EOS is booming! A dubai route is being started due to demand soon but as for silverjet even tho i dont work for them i know are on their way out and are unlikley to last the summer.

Flightboy
G-DBCI View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G-DBCI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 9:14pm
i reckon that Aer lingus and Alitiala wont make this year
BAV Virtual Pilot

CyprusAirwaysA330 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CyprusAirwaysA330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 9:59pm
Quote i reckon that Aer lingus and Alitiala wont make this year

Aer Lingus - not too sure about that.

Alitalia - They can survive if there is the AF/KLM takeover, but that may not happen due to the elections coming up, and the Conservatives, widely tiped to win, have promised that they will keep Alitalia an Italian company, and will look for Italian investors.  
Timbo727 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbo727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2008 at 10:22pm
The first and last time I heard of Oasis Hong Kong was at RIAT Fairford last summer, when they did a fly past and then landing with commentary from the pilot who did waffle a bit in an effort to sell it.

Whenever I have gone Hong Kong it has been Cathay Pacific or Virgin, its a no brainer.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic