This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Frames Per Second

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 9:10am
Defrag won't improve FPS, true, but it should improve disc access.

A complete reinstall is the best option here after the suggested basic maintenance. Including a defrag!

And don't forget Service pack 1 for FSX

P.S. You haven't messed with the FSX CFG have you? If so another good reason for a reinstall.

Use the latest driver for your GPU as well, rather than the one that came with the card. After uninstalling the old driver from Add/remove programs.

There is a good chance if you haven't uninstalled the old driver before you installed the new one for your card that issues have arisen. uninstalling the old driver properly is essential.
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 4:27pm
Hey Guys

Martin. I have figered why defrag wont work. It is because I am to INPATIENT!!!!! It took hours and hours. It was stuck on 50% for an hour itself and then when it got to 56% about 45 minutes so in the end it does work. Sorry for that. XP doesn't take one tenth as long as Vista!!! Thats why I thought it never worked. Im an idiot ..

While I defragged my vista HDD I did my XP one after it to. I am going to load everything up on XP first before uninstalling from Vista. Last time I uninstalled FS - century of flight their was a problem with the disk and I ended up buying a new copy. I have also scaned disks on both operating systems. XP took a short time but I had to have the Vista drive on over night. I couldn't believe it.
I dont run any anti virus other than Vistas own. I had problems with Norton and McAfee. I thoguht they were both rubbish.

Thanks Ross for your input. As I said. I am going to reinstalled FSX then play it. Then the update then the add-ons Ill let you know what FPS I am getting on every one. On the same route same plane same settings once I have done it.

Vulcan, vulcan! You keep shooting these myths down. .. They heighten my spirted when something else is mentioned that could make all the difference. .. Ill try anything if it sounds it will work.
Also Vulcan what is AV? I don't know what that is. And Martin I will get an adware program :)

I am using the updated driver downloaded for my P5B, GPU and FSX Also I have messed with the settings on the FSX page when it first loads up. You know, the graphics / traffic / scenary settings etc. Unsure what you mean when you say FSX CFG?????

Yes I have uninstalled the old drivers first :).

Cheers

Anthony
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2008 at 8:35pm
Hey all. Right it is 20:17 at night and this is were I am up to.

I have carried out a disk clean up a defrag and have reinstalled FSX on my XP drive.

Once FSX had installed I took a Cessna 172 out of KLAS, Las Vegas, and flew down the none existent strip .. This is the settings that was unchanged apart from the realism and general tabs.

Graphics - Low
Aircraft - Medium High
Scenery - Low
Weather - Medium Low
Traffic - Low

I set the same scenario for every flight which was a cold front at 12 noon and the the FPS set at unlimited.
During this set up I was getting no scenary (bit like FS 5 years ago .)

Verdict: 80 + fps to a max of 150 Woohoo

I decided this is no good as I felt like I was playing on a spectrum plus so I upped the settings to these:

Global Texture Resolution - High
Aircraft - High
Scenery - High
Weather - High
(Cloud Draw Distance 100miles)
Traffic - Ultra High

During this set up and the same scenario I was getting in the virual cockpit 20 - 23FPS.
This is amazing. I was happy with the settings and I got a smooth ride.

My next step was to add SP1 with the same set up. This time I got 20 - 22 FPS. Still acceptable in my book

After that I added SP2. I flew down the strip in Vegas and received 15 - 25 FPS in the cockpit.

So there you have it. My next steps now is to add LvL D 767 (which is why I play FSX). I will let you know after this step.

Then after I have added My traffic X, Acceleration, and FS Global (when I get it).

I hope someone else can take note from this and learn as it is really time consuming to just jump into things and hope they work.

Once I have finshed with my XP set up I shall repeat the the above on Vista. Lets see how well that competes against XP.

Thanks all

Anthony
Timbo727 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbo727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 6:38pm
Just stumbled accross this website below for the first time and cant believe I havent noticed it before, or seen it mentioned elsewhere.

http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/feature/corner12.htm   this review of FS-GS also makes reference to FSAutostart by Ken Salter (read the narrative on AVSIM) which is freeware and the 2nd most downloaded utility on AVSIM for FS2004.

Read the entire site, and the reviews on AVSIM and Flightsim.com (above) - very interesting, but you have to follow meticulously what you learn if you decide to engage in the process with the guy responsible.  Read the forums too as there are some very interesting discussions on there.

My friend who works for Tesco on the IT side has said this to me previously.  Whilst FPS is the way we measure what is projected in front of us, it all comes down to what else the PC is doing when we want its full attention to be on our Sim.  It doesnt matter how much power (CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM etc.) we have in our PC as the amount of stuff we have running (usually unitensionally) on there will always cause stutters no matter what.  In addition, the hardware may not be running perfectly tuned to one another and this is something that is looked at too I believe.

FS-GS website calls the process "System Unification".  Some of the testimonials and the forum mention that there wasnt a massive increase in frames per second, BUT that the Sim was so much smoother all round because of the changes made.  Obviously they have decent systems like we all have now, but they squeezed so much more out of it's untapped potential without overclocking, or so it seems anyway.

Has anyone read about this before?  Do correct what i have posted above if need be, interested to read what other people think.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 8:19pm
There is a new version out called 'PC Alacrity'.

One of the guys at Aces seems to think it's worthwhile, not tested it myself.

The ases guy seems to think it works.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 9:21pm
If your system is already cut-back and you're not running any junk in the background, none of these optimization apps will have any effect.

I don't know what to think of the Aces devs.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
ross1562 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ross1562 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 12:04am
Anthony,
      Glad you are getting some decent FPS now. A little hard work and patience goes a long way.

One more bit of advice, load each add-on seperately and run them. This will give you an indication of which ones eat up FPS the most.

Also: Two of the most FPS hungry things you can set in settings are Light Bloom ON and Anti-aliaising ON.

Do a disc defrag every couple of days. It wont take as long then!

Happy flying,
Ross1562(Air Observer)

FSX SP1 SP2.
DellE520, 8600GT, nHancer, 3GB Ram, Intell Duo Core

Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 7:45am

Cheers Ross. I have noticed that MY Traffic X has been the must hungry. I have recently recieved FS Global 2008 and that is a fine add on. No noticable degrades there. My next one to put on is LvL D 767. Ill let you know how that is when I can get the dam key to work.

Starting to get annoyed with downloaded products. They seem a lot of messing about and might be better just to wait to recieve the boxed version in future.
Timbo727 View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timbo727 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 9:05am
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

One of the guys at Aces seems to think it's worthwhile, not tested it myself.

The ases guy seems to think it works.

thanks for that, have downloaded it from Ken Salters website and am reading about it.   Its  not running yet but the threads on AVSIM  http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=121&topic_id=437916&mesg_id=437916&page=  speak highly of it.

Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 11:28am
Cheers Tim. After I have reinstalled FSX, FS GLOBAL, LvL D 767, My Traffic X  and defragged it I am getting an amazing 20 - 35 FPS with most of the Scenary sliders set almost to the right and autogen on dense, traffic on full I am extremely pleased. I run my resolution at 1280 x 1024 x 32 and the CPU not overclocked. I am really happy. So happy I am going to buy flight environment just to boost the realism a bit more. 

There must be have been something really really corrupting my system to do that. I mean before I was only getting 5 - 10FPS now look at the amazing increase.

If Vulcan and Martin W are reading I would like to say a massive thanks to both of them. Martin must be really annoyed with me by now .

Cheers all

Anthony 
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 11:29am
P.S
Ill let you know how Vista performs as this is on XP at the mo.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

I've posted in the PC Alacrity thread over at AVSIMSmile

I think you can probably guess my responses...Big%20smile

Stopping running .exe's is fine, using it to stop services is snake oil since the OS is perfectly capable of managing them for you...

Again, like the issue of 3rd party apps that supposedly are able to uninstall graphics drivers better than the manufacturer,  if game developers thought they could get better performance by stopping unused services do you not think they wouldn't, certainly MS themselves. They could quite easily have built a loader app into FSX that recommended which services to stop and automated the process etc. before loading. Why don't they? Because they know that is what the OS does anyway, it's part of it's built in memory management.

The ones who have had a little success (and some only noticed any change when the flight was first started, performance then edged back to what they were getting previously anyway, I wonder why) are those that had multiple .exes autostarting for quicklaunch things, keyboard setup apps and numerous other things some programs like to dump on you. I.e. the guys who don't really know what's going on in the background anyway. The ones who already had minimal processes running saw no difference.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 8:33pm

Yes I thought it was you magic.

I'd still like someone to do a 'proper' test before and after to settle this once and for all. I favour your opinion on this magic but I am prepared to reserve judgement until we see the definitive evidence.

As for defragging every couple of days... a complete waste of time. I defrag once every 3-4 weeks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic