This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

British Airways B777 Cabin Refits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: British Airways B777 Cabin Refits
    Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 1:40pm
Hi,

I was reading the other day about British Airways' plan of overhauling their Boeing 777-200 fleet, including refitting the cabins of 18 of their oldest ones (G-ZZZ* and G-VIIA-N, G-VIIS and G-RAES) with BA's new First, WT+ and WT cabins and installing the new Thales AVOD system found on the new 77Ws. The G-YMM* series will not be overhauled, and they are already fitted with the Rockwell Collins AVOD system as on the 767-300 and 747-400.

Apparently the only one to have been done so far is G-RAES. Does anyone have any inside knowledge of which ones are next? Having been on VIIA and VIIF last year, and due to be going on another of their 777-200s from LGW next month, fitted with the GMIS 12 channel loop IFE system they were feeling particularly old and dated!
Kind regards,
Tom
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 7:19pm
I've also just read that BA reported that they intend to displace VIIA, VIIB and VIIF (the 3 LGW-based 4 class 777s which operate the BGI route) to LHR and bring in three newer ones from there which are fitted with both New First and the Rockwell-Collins AVOD system. Anyone know anything about this?
Kind regards,
Tom
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 2:26am
AVID - Audio-Video on Demand.

What new toys are up front?

I thought G-VI** was a Virgin Atlantic registration?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 9:47am
Yep, all BAs 747-400, 767-300ER and most 777-200 are fitted with an AVOD system. However, there are still some 777s floating around which still have the old fashioned GMIS 12-channel tape loop system (and due to my anorak-ness I can tell you it's ZZZA-C, VIIA-N and VIIS). Most of the Gatwick based ones have this unfortunately.

No, their 777s carry the registrations G-VII* (roman numerals for 7), G-YMM* (numerals for 'year 2000') and G-ZZZ* (as it looks like '777').
Kind regards,
Tom
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 12:09pm
They need to refit the 767 fleet, the older ones have the nasty blue/brown Club seating - it's awful, especially at Club prices!
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 12:36pm
Agreed. I believe a lot of the 767s are going toward the back end of this year and are being replaced by 787s. The ones they're keeping are getting a 'refresh', which I think is just a retrimming of the existing seats in the new fabric. They won't be getting the Next-Gen Club World as in the 747/777 fleet.
Kind regards,
Tom
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:05pm
They can't really retrim them, the new first/club pods are totally different to the old pods. The old ones are manky anyway - even if you retrimmed them, the fascias/screens are all scratched.

I'll have the pleasure of another visit to the old-club style seats in a few weeks when I pop over to Canada most likely. Might go KLM just to avoid the BA seats!
AirHauler Developer
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 4:11pm
I'll have the pleasure of a World Traveller seat in a few weeks going to Barbados! I just hope we get one with Video on Demand. The 12 channel system really is lousy.
Kind regards,
Tom
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:26pm
WT is ok, never pay the difference to get WT+ (unless someone else is paying!), it's no better than a WT aisle seat, with the exception that you have seat power (usually Empower).
AirHauler Developer
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:31pm
I've never seen the point in World Traveller Plus. We had a free upgrade to it a few years ago (whoopdie do) and it wasn't any more comfortable than WT. On 777s it also means that the 3 of us can't sit together and have a window (Seat layout is 2-4-2 as opposed to 3-3-3 in WT)!
Kind regards,
Tom
Concorde216 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concorde216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 7:08pm
I travelled with BA on the 747 to Sao Paulo last week (returned on G-CIVR).  Travelled in World Traveller cabin.  It wasn't too bad either.  Seats were comfortable, the IFE had the new On Demand system and it had a lot more variety and choice.  The food was very good too. 

I agree about WT+, it is not worth spending the extra money, it is better to save up a bit more and get Club instead.  The seats in WT+ were not too comfortable and I cannot say that I noticed much difference in the amount of space offerred or in the level of service provided compared to being in World Traveller.
Concorde216
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right." - Sir Sydney Camm
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 11:07pm
Yes I've flown on a few of their 744s too! They're still pretty nice, but some of them are getting noticeably tatty! They are all fitted with AVOD (Audio Video On Demand), because they were all retrofitted with the Rockwell-Collins eTes IFE equipment back in the late 90s. This was originally an 18 channel system, but was upgradable to AVOD and is continually supported by Rockwell. This system is identifiable by the seatback displays, which are larger, are touchscreens and have an ON/OFF and Menu button on the lower edge. This system is also fitted to the later 777-200s, those delivered from around 99 onwards. It's also been retrofitted to all long haul 763s.

The older 772s, those delivered from 96-98, have the older GEC-Marconi 'GMIS' IFE system, fitted from new. This was inferior to the Rockwell TES system to begin with, as is only 12 channel based, but made worse as Marconi went bust in the late 90s and so support for the system was terminated. Therefore an upgrade to the system to AVOD like the Rockwell product will require a complete refit of the equipment in the aircraft rather than a relatively simple upgrade. This is why these 12 channel aircraft still plough on today! This system is identifiable by the noticeably smaller and squarer seatback screens, lack of touch controls and lack of buttons on the seatback unit.

More on topic, the first New First 777 arrived at Gatwick today. VIIU ferried from LHR to LGW, replacing VIIA which has now gone to Cardiff for its refit.

Kind regards,
Tom
airbuslover View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airbuslover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 9:28pm
What about the 3 class 777 from LGW? Do they have old or new seats?
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:53pm
All the 3 class 777s at Gatwick have the old seats, but they do have AVOD (Audio Video on Demand). I'm flying home from BGI today and according to FlightRadar the one currently on the way over is VIIF, which coincidentally was the one we flew out on last week, which has the old 12 channel system.
Kind regards,
Tom
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:40pm
Flew a BA 777 to Florida last month, standard seats. It had an impressive VOD system on there, plenty of movies, tv, audio. Full pause, resume, fast forward, rewind etc.

Came back on an AA 777. Wasn't such a good system, had removeable remotes with game controls for the few games available but the video was on a number of loops, i.e. not on demand, you had to wait  twenty minutes or so if you missed the start before another instance was set running. No pause.

First time on a 777 - those things seem to flex pretty wildly - the overheads  were visibly moving independently from the cabin ceiling!
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 1:22pm
You were lucky to get an AVOD one. That system is actually very good but is only on a handful of the 772s. Our flights to and from Barbados last week were operated by the same aircraft, and the IFE system was rubbish. Once the system is started about half an hour after takeoff, about 6 movies start playing at the same time and keep running until the longest one has finished. After that there's about a 20 minute break before they change the tapes and start playing another 6 movies. Once the longest of those is finished, on the way out they just rewound the second set and played them again, on the way back the system was switched off and only the radio stations and moving map were available for the last couple of hours. The films I wanted to watch were all on the first set so I could only watch one of those which was disappointing. No pause or rewind, it didn't even pause during a cabin announcement (the screens blanked but when it resumed it was a couple of minutes ahead!)

The service was ok, but the aircraft was really tatty. My armrest was falling apart and the cabin stank when we got on.

I noticed they do creak and rattle a lot! They're also very noisy during engine start and when the engines are at idle if you're down the back or immediately over the wings.
Kind regards,
Tom
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:34pm
Yep, we were all impressed with the BA jet, it was a 772 - I checked the morning before we flew - 3 3 3 layout in world class which suited the three of us in the middle. The AA 777 on the way back from JFK (return flight was a AA 757 from Orlando to JFK before the 777 home) was a 2 5 2 with us in the middle 5 but that meant someone to the right of Sharon so it wasn't the most comfortable ride.

...and we almost didn't take off since there was a large party of orthodox jews flying back and one of the women decided to try and resit single passengers around them to get her, the children and others in the party all together. The AA steward was on the point of losing it with her in the end and was not far away from getting the boss down I think since we were close to missing our take off slot because they wouldn't listen and take their seats. They never asked us to move -she must have seen the look on my face! Just as well because she wouldn't have liked the answer I had ready to give back...

...and as for the blokes in and out of the overheads with their hats, coats and little bags of some sort of brightly colored material, well, it got tedious and annoyingnvery quickly!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic