This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Computer Spec - Moved

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 6:19pm
Yes, primarily.

The sim itself isn't "faster", but where it would slow down, it doesn't slow down anywhere near as much. e.g. it gets good performance looking out the forward 2D view in the Learjet, but when I switch to forward-left view, at 0.60 zoom, it might drop to say, 22-25 FPS. It doesn't do this now (that could be the 64-bit part though).

The actual view switching is now instant, as is the switch to/from the VC etc.. (this is due to the memory, helped by the OS being 64-bit and thus supporting it).

Switching from 2D to VC is now instant and without a drop in performance. Before, it would drop anywhere up to 20 FPS, but now there is no drop.

As a result, the sim is generally quicker and MUCH smoother.

If my frame rate was between 5 and 30 FPS before, now it's between 20 and 30 FPS. Hopefully that clears up exactly what impact it has. Note that a 64-bit OS does function differently to the 32-bit version, so this might have quite an effect on its own, too. I can't test that though as the 32-bit version doesn't support 4Gb RAM.

In the BIOS, if you have 4Gb of RAM installed, and you tell it it has a 32-bit OS installed, then you'll find it has taken away something like 1.5Gb ("Apportioned"). When the POST screen appears, it shows 2840Mb (or something like that, on my system anyway). When I tell it it has a 64-bit OS installed (like now), then it shows the full 4096Mb in the POST screen.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 6:26pm
I have raised my CPU via the AI suite to 107%

Anthony... 

Fire up AiSuite.
Click AiBooster
Click Advance
In the CPU frequency box select your desired front side bus. [Don't go mad, bit at a time]

I am running at a front side bus of 333.MHz hence my overclocked CPU clock speed of 3.3ghz

Incidentally my idle temperature is 36-40 degrees at 3.3 with the Freezer 7 Pro.

Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 6:59pm

Thank you Vulcan. Yes It maybe the 64 bit kicking in. I have mixed views on the extra memory so it would be nice to see if anyone replies with 4GB in a 32bit system.

Cheers Martin. Ill finish my session of poker and have a go. I went to the wrong thing. It was showing percentages when I looked. I know where you mean now. It seems to want to do a lot of restarts when you change something.

I take it it is the 266.90 I am raising.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 7:02pm
Lucas... Keep it simple, you can look in your BIOS under System health and it will tell you your CPU idle temperature. Let it idle over an extended period and note the temperature. This isn't under load of course but it will tell you if it's idling high.

To monitor under load you may have a motherboard manufacturers utility that will do that [you didn't tell us your MB manufacturer or CPU] or you could use Motherboard Monitor, it's a simple utility thats sits in the system tray and monitors temps.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 7:06pm
Anthony, you will get restarts, it's normal. Edge the FSB frequency up a tad, don't go mad and test it for a few days. look for about 2.9 CPU clock speed as your max.

I hope you see the effect of FSB frequency increase in terms of CPU clock speed. Unfortunately the multiplier is locked on all but very expensive CPU's so you cant increase that, hence the FSB increase.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 7:08pm
Quote The sim itself isn't "faster", but where it would slow down, it doesn't slow down anywhere near as much. e.g. it gets good performance looking out the forward 2D view in the Learjet, but when I switch to forward-left view, at 0.60 zoom, it might drop to say, 22-25 FPS. It doesn't do this now (that could be the 64-bit part though).
Ive not noticed mine doing that with XP and 2gb. Although I would have to check to verify that.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 7:13pm
Hi,

@Martin: I can assure you it is!!! Shocked

Quote with XP and 2gb.

If you got Vista 64-bit and another 2Gb of RAM you will!

@Milehigh:
Quote I have mixed views on the extra memory so it would be nice to see if anyone replies with 4GB in a 32bit system.

You can't have 4Gb in a 32-bit system. Because the system uses memory mapped I/O, the upper address lines that would be used in the upper 4Gb of the memory are inaccessible, which is why (at most) you will 3Gb reported. On my MoBo at least, it restricts it to 2.8Gb for some reason. I've yet to actually boot XP since putting my new memory in, but I'll let you know what it is reporting.

I don't recommend telling the BIOS it has a 64-bit OS installed, and then try and run a 32-bit OS on it - bad things might happen (data loss), and I personally wouldn't take the risk.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 7:29pm
Vulcan... I have just taken of from EGLL climbed to 2000, turned back to EGLL.

Throughout the flight my frame rate was locked at 40, didn't change at all whether I looked straight ahead or looked Left, even right over EGLL.

With XP and 2gb... if you had that with 2GB and XP I have no idea what was happening but I don't.
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 7:34pm
Cheers Vulcan. It is nice to know people care about other peoples machines.

BTW Martin. I have fitted the artic cool CPU fan and it works great. It is sitting at 46, 47degC. Even in the lowest gear @ 980rpm fan speed it is a lot quieter than the other. Cheers for the recommendation :)

Anthony
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 7:36pm
40FPS!!!! Ill be happy with 15 lol
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 7:50pm

Originally posted by Anthony Anthony wrote:

It is sitting at 46, 47degC. Even in the lowest gear @

If that’s at idle and not overclocked it’s still high. What is iot at stock speeds at idle?

Don't mess with that stupid Asus Gear rubbish, only up your performance manually with the FSB increase.

My idle temp is about 40 thoroughly warmed up and that’s overclocked don’t forget.

Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 7:56pm

Well it is with me surfing the net chatting on here playing poker (which the poker program is taxing on GPU and CPU. I will do it idle and let you know. OK I wont mess with the gear thing. You're the man :)

Anthony
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 8:09pm
Hi,

Don't forget you're running your processor at 3.3GHz, whereas mine is running at 2.67!!!! Wink

I've locked my frame rate to 30 FPS. The rest is as above.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 8:11pm

Hi Martin. Right I have upped the fsb to 276.00 and it is now at 2.48Ghz. I left it in idle for 3 minutes and I got 45deg C. The system is 39 deg C. Is that good.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by Pointy Pointy wrote:

Don't forget you're running your processor at 3.3GHz, whereas mine is running at 2.67!!!!
Should of overclocked it for free then Pointy instead of spending your dosh on ram.

Just kidding! Wink

P.S. I didn't have the problem not overclocked either.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Milehigh Milehigh wrote:

Hi Martin. Right I have upped the fsb to 276.00 and it is now at 2.48Ghz. I left it in idle for 3 minutes and I got 45deg C. The system is 39 deg C. Is that good.

You haven't upped anything, the default clock speed of the E6600 is 2.4ghz. In which case 45 is high.

leave it for at least 20 minutes to cool right down.

My C2D NOT overclocked is 35 degrees at idle.

Overclocked is 40
Milehigh View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milehigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 8:27pm

Errrrrrrrrr Geek Right I have set the FSB to 299  and where it used to say 2400mhz it now goes to 2700mhz. I put FSX on and it is still lingering about 6.5 to 7.5 fps. What am i doing wrong. Cry

Right Ill be back up in 20 minutes and ill leave it at idle all that time. If it is still high I will buy a fan for the front.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 9:25pm
2700mhz is the front side bus, giving you a cpu clock speed of 2.7Ghz

No idea where you're getting 299 from.

I think you need to take a step back and give this some thought before you do anything else. You seem to be just diving in without thought. A recipe for disaster.

If you look at the image half way down the page in the following link, you will see the cpu frequency on the right.

Obviously the frequency and other settings aren't the same as yours but it's just to show you what you should be changing.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 11:20pm
Hi,

299 is the FSB speed (200 x 4 = 800 MHz, so 299 x 4 = 1196 MHz FSB). CPU is a multiple of the FSB, so if the clock multiplier is say 7x, then 7x 299 = 2093 MHz CPU clock speed. Wink

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 11:43pm
FSX is still a 32 bit process though so is running under wow in a 64 bit environment and not getting any real advantage from that other than the potentially higher amount of available memory and possibly I/O (which may be accounting for the perceived 'betterness').

Saying that though I don't experience any of the slowdowns either at stock CPU speed of 3GHz outputting at mostly max settings to 3840x1024 + 1920x1200 resolutions under XP so the better running pointy is getting *may* just be because of the fresh install...WinkBig%20smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic