This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler Screenshots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If you can't buy one, make one....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you can't buy one, make one....
    Posted: 05 Apr 2009 at 10:47pm
I wanted a Basler BT-67 for Air Hauler (that's the modernised stretched DC-3 with PT6A turboprop engines in case you don't know it). Couldn't find one to download, so I'm making one myself by modifying the default FS DC-3. Still need to change the engines and add a few bits, but the 40 inch fuselage stretch is done and I've modified the wing shape...

High-speed cargotasticsville here we come.... There aren't many FS add-ons that would prompt me to indulge in this sort of malarkey, but it's indicative of how good Air Hauler is that it can manage to do so. 

Al
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 12:44am
How cool! I wish I had the skill to make mods like that.Tongue
Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 2:03am
You probably do have the skill to do it, there's no magic involved, all you have to do is try it. Smile

Al
aviatorisu View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviatorisu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 2:30am
Doesn't it have a larger, more squared off tail too??

Z
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 3:39am
What tool are you using to manipulate the original model file?
Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 7:29am
These are all the changes to the DC-3 that Basler do:

I'm using the original DC-3 FS model file, which is in the FSX scenery development kit service pack. The modeling software is GMax, which is the free 3D program you also get in the FS scenery development kit. If you want to try it out, there's a tutorial in GMax which shows you how to make a P-38 Lightning, it's pretty basic, but enough to get you up to speed on making more complex stuff.

Al
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 9:16am
Great.  I wish I could do that!
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 8:40pm
Nice idea Chock! good luck for your work, after finish you make this model for public download?Wink

cheers,
Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 8:48pm
I'll probably stick it on Avsim assuming that it's not busting the MS EULA to do so. Need to check that.

Al
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herege Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2009 at 9:33pm
In the case that you bust the MS EULA(I think not because are there many mod's from original MS model's.) BUT,  make a private link, only for private AH users, to download as private download, for our private company, if you can't stick there. .

Thanks
hobofat View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hobofat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 11:18pm
Some folks modified the DC-3 included in the SDK to create a cargo model, ski-equipped model, etc. and have it up for download, with some legal disclaimers, so you could probably do documentation similar to what they did.  This has been up for quite some time and Microsoft never asked them to take it down (they contacted ACES directly), so I imagine what you're doing is OK.

http://www.flightsim.co.nz/AIRCRAFT.htm
Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2009 at 11:26pm
Kind of figure it must be okay to screw around with it since it is in the SDK for that purpose, and as long as I put the caveat that it's only for people with MSFS, who of course can get it for themselves if they wanted to.

Al
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic