This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler Screenshots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Landing warnings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Landing warnings
    Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 9:34am

Lately I made two nice landings.

With the first one I just came down to quickly and touched down on the threshold, AH considers this a landing next to the runway, as this was forest area I got damage to the plane for landing in the forest, make sure you land on the runway properly!

The second one was a better landing but the freeware scenery is inferior, it doesn’t specify a landing strip at all, I had some minor damage to my plan due to landing on grassland.

Big brother AH is watching your landings Smile

Dree

Hans Olo View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Olo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 12:34pm
Actually both of these cases are quite annoying...
qdrummer21 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qdrummer21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 2:03pm

I had a similar problem the first time I flew into SABA.  It turns out after installing my FlyTampa scenery I forgot to actually add the layer into the scenery.cfg to get it to show up in flight sim.  When I got to SABA it was instead using a freeware Caribbean scenery set that I had installed which had the actual runway stuck in the ground halfway between the surface and the water.  Since there was a flat grassy surface where the airport was supposed to be I figured I'd land on the grass next to the ramp.  I got the same forest landing message and had my plane damaged by 70%.  Seeing as I was flying in career mode this really messed things up so I restarted the company.

As for landing on the chevrons I haven’t done that yet.  These areas are safety overrun areas and are created with softer construction materials.  Because this allows the runway to be more easily damaged they are only used for landing/take off/taxi in the case of emergencies.  Because of this softer material damage to the tires and landing gear often result in their use, but the important part is the plan and passengers are left OK.  They are also used as jet blast areas as a ground covering at airports where the ground material would normally get blown away from the jet wash causing erosion around the edge of the runway.

dree View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 2:21pm

I think it's really not annoying, just wanted to warn and share some strange and funny experiences Smile

I also have SABA from FlyTampa (Maarten) and now I see it has two airport codes SABA and ZABA, it works correct though, in real life the runway is closed and you can only land there with permission of Curacao ATC, that’s a long way from there but that’s the main Island of the Dutch antilles.

Dree
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 6:11pm
The first landing looked a little short

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
dree View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 6:15pm
It was Tongue

Dree
Hans Olo View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Olo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by dree dree wrote:

I think it's really not annoying, just wanted to warn and share some strange and funny experiences Smile

Well it would annoy me as especially the second of these landings would not actually damage the aircraft in real life. My two cents as well...

Really appreciate you sharing this finding with us though -  will pay more attention to the scenery I am using.

Hans
qdrummer21 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qdrummer21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 7:24pm

I also have SABA from FlyTampa (Maarten) and now I see it has two airport codes SABA and ZABA, it works correct though...

Yeah I corrected my install error and it works great now!!
dree View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2009 at 7:25pm
It's not annoying to me becouse I found out that it is not a real landing strip in FS. They should have made a grass strip there, yeah ok it annoyed me I give in but towards the scenery makers, and then only a little bit becouse it's freeware Smile

Dree
Hans Olo View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Olo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 6:38am
The thing is that the reason why some omit defining a grassstrip flatten in FS is to maintain the natural slope gradient of the pitch. I dunno if that was the case with you but it is a valid reason in the sake of realism. With a good mesh and very good photoscenery - sometimes even Tileproxy is able to achieve that you would not need defined airports at all. I admit these are quite rare scenarios and outside of the current scope of FS so AH should really not bother with them. As I said above one needs to pay attention to the sceneries he uses thats all.

Hans
dree View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 7:19am
I heared Lukla from Aerosoft has a sloped runway, how did they do that?

Dree

Hans Olo View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Olo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 11:51am

I heared Lukla from Aerosoft has a sloped runway, how did they do that?

Dree

Most likely they created a sloped flatten (achieveble also in FSX-KML) and applied very high resolution photoscenery texture on it. I do not have the scenery so this might not be entirely true for Lukla FSX however that is how you would set about creating a sloped runway.
wavn View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wavn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 12:30pm
Lukla: most difficult airfield to land? Smile

It was your plane on the last photo on the left Dree, wasn't it?

Willem
dree View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 12:42pm

The white one? I don’t recognize it, is that a plane?

Our question was if it's a runway in FS because in my second picture they made a nice runway a little sloped but it was not officially a runway in FS becouse they are always flat.

Dree

wavn View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wavn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 12:54pm
Aerosoft made Lukla at the original place; this at a place where there was no runway before (the original default Lukla is wrong placed): so you have Lukla default (a boring no-mans area) and this new Lukla.
In fs you can choose to which Lukla you want: so I assume you can say that it's now also a runway in fs?

Willem

P.S: when you do your best with a crash / high negative landing, you can go through the runway and see the original ground below (did not do this myself of course Wink)
Hans Olo View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Olo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by wavn wavn wrote:

P.S: when you do your best with a crash / high negative landing, you can go through the runway and see the original ground below (did not do this myself of course Wink)

He??? Is that on Lukla?

Dree: most probably there is an airport created in FS as well however the runway properties are not defined in accord with the photoscenery runway. This way I assume that a landing in the Lukla FSX scenery would be treated by AH as a bad one. Can someone who has the scenery along with AH check this assumption?

Hans
ddavid View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ddavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 3:53pm
Anyone tried CO03 (Aspen)? Maybe not as difficult as Lukla....

1. Getting over the hill on long final:

2. Short final:

3. Over the threshold:

4. Rolling with brakes engaged:

Just about made it with the Dornier Do 228 from Premier Aircraft Design (http://www.premaircraft.com/)

Go on - have a go!

Cheers - Dai.
dree View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2009 at 8:01pm

Willem,

Would you be so kind to go to a map in AH and investigate, are both original FS Lukla and Aerosoft Lukla on the map? What sais the info box if you click on the Airosoft one about runways?

You also can zoom into FSX map view to look if it has a runway, it’s a pink line with the runway numbers on both sides and it’s in the info there also of course.

Thanks, Dree

wavn View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wavn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009 at 10:36am
I will have a look today Dree Smile

Edited: Pitifull, but only the default Lukla (VNLK) can be found; the Aerosoft Lukla is not present.
Maybe we can ask Duncan (developer of AH), if he can do something at it? 

Willem
wavn View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wavn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2009 at 5:59pm
Edited: Pitifull, but only the default Lukla (VNLK) can be found; the Aerosoft Lukla is not present in AH.
Maybe we can ask Duncan (developer of AH), if he can do something at it? 

Willem
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic