This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler Screenshots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A cool experiment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A cool experiment
    Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 12:22am
Today I tried something out that I think is working pretty darn cool.Tongue

I downloaded Paul Wheeler's awesome freeware Grenadines, St. Vincent and Barbados scenery for the Caribbean (http://www.fswaterconfigurator.com/forum/index.php?board=17.0) with the goal of setting up an Air Hauler base that would be for super short hops between the islands:

FS recognizes numerous small strips in the area but after seeing the incredible detail offered by the scenery, I wanted to be able to deliver cargo to the obscure places that had docks, marinas, or just a beach and some shacks. But how to do it?

I placed my plane at some of the spots I wanted to make as locations and noted the Lat/lon--then, I went into AFCAD and created some very simple seaplane bases. I have both FS9 and FSX on my computer and the program placed the files in FS9 so I had to grab them from there and move them into my FSX folder.

That done, I went into Air Hauler and imported my scenery. After that, I was able to open new bases at these locations, which, of course, generates jobs to and from there. So with very little work on my part (and no money out), I've got a sweet little area of operations to keep me busy for a while.Wink

Oh, one last thing. To keep my ops more centralized and within the area of the scenery, I went into Aircraft Details and lowered the range on the Beaver to 80 miles.

Note for anyone not familiar with Air Hauler: this has absolutely no effect on the plane in the sim--it only creates a set of jobs that are much shorter in Air Hauler for folks like me who don't have tons of time to spend in cruise.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 12:45am
Brian,

I missed something - is the problem with AH recognizing AFCAD airports in FSX solved?

John
John Allard
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 1:34am
John-

Yes, it was my error. I put the country as Grenadines instead of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. I guess details like that make all the difference for importing it.

I suppose I wouldn't have had so much difficulty if I had chosen an obvious place, like somewhere in the U.S.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 1:37am
l o l - I was going to ask you if you were checking the right country!

Some add-on aircraft packages (such as the German VFR airfields) have weird countries which are the package name rather than the "actual" country they are in!

If possible - use ICAO codes ;)

P.s. - anyone know why "l o l" doesn't work without the spaces over here?
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 2:02am

This board has a lot of words "blocked".  I had to do "b a s t a r d i z a t i o n" today.

John
John Allard
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 2:05am
Duncan--it appears that your signature pic is blocked too.Confused
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 2:09am
I'm sure it's because "D e v e l o p e r" is considered a dirty word here.  Tongue

John
John Allard
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Brian_ Brian_ wrote:

Duncan--it appears that your signature pic is blocked too.Confused

Quote I'm sure it's because "D e v e l o p e r" is considered a dirty word here

Nope, the image he is using just doesn't appear to function:

http://www.airhauler.net/PilotBanner/bannerusername=Slopey

Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

This board has a lot of words "blocked".  I had to do "b a s t a r d i z a t i o n" today.

John

Due to the nature of the forums, and the age of the users on it, we have to use a strict swear-word blocker.

Unfortunately the technology used isn't very advanced, so it picks up a 'word within a word'. For example S c r a p becomes srubbish, for obvious reasons Smile

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
pwheeler View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pwheeler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 9:52am
Brian,

This looks fantastic! Air Hauler sounds like a great idea.

I was thinking of producing an addon for my sceneries which would add a set of fictional seaplane bases.... although you seem to be there already. Big%20smile

Are you going to release your set of bases? If so let us know and I'll publicise them on our forums too. I certainly saves me a job so I can get on with volume 3! Wink If not then I will probably do a quick set of bases after I complete vol 3. Since they will be fictional though I'll just make it an addon rather than integrated with the scenery.

Cheers

Paul
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2009 at 1:52pm
Hi Paul,

I hadn't thought to release these as they're really quite simple--just a runway and start locations (i.e., no taxiways, etc.).

However, I've tried to give each location their proper names and I came across a great set of maps for the area to assist in that endeavor: http://www.paradise-islands.org/grenadines-map.htm

I intend to add further to the existing scenery so just let me know if you'd like what I've started.Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic