This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic 360
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T360 Behaviour of C-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T360 Behaviour of C-17
    Posted: 23 Jan 2019 at 10:36pm
I would welcome information from any Traffic 360 users who have created schedules using the C-17 aircraft.

Can you tell me if the C-17 aircraft make the correct approaches and landings that you would expect. My usage of this aircraft frequently results in the aircraft getting onto the runway approach and starting to loose height but it does not loose height sufficiently. It arrives over the threshold at about 800ft and eventually has to do a go-around.

It would really be useful if any T360 users could post their experiences with the C-17.
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:41am

In the interest of possibly helping others, both Ray and I were sending PMs to each other about this subject. Here is the result (and fix) ...

Thanks to Ray sending me the C-17 model, I imported the C-17 in to Traffic X (I don't own Traffic 360) and I set schedules for it.  Like Ray, I too discovered that the C-17 had difficulty landing.  There were plenty of go-arounds at a range of different airports.  So it was apparent that the aircraft's .air file had some issues.

I had read somewhere on another forum that a fix for issues such as this was to either download an .air file editor and make changes to the .air file itself, or, to simply substitute the .air file of another AI aircraft which best matches the aircraft you're trying to fix (for example, the Russian IL-26 aircraft is similar to the C-17 by way of wingspan, weight, length, number of engines, etc ... so try replacing Traffic 360's C-17 .air file with Traffic X's IL-76 .air file [make a backup first, of course]).  I had no interest in trying to make .air file edits (that stuff is beyond my expertise), so experimenting with and substituting different .air files was the chosen option.

After much experimentation, it turned out that it was not Traffic X's IL-76 .air file which corrected Traffic 360's C-17 landing characteristics ... it was Traffic X's B744 (Boeing 747) .air file.  Using the B744 .air file, the C-17 performs nice landings and there's no more go-arounds.  (I will guess that the B744 .air file in Traffic X is the same as the B744 .air file in Traffic 360 because the Traffic 360 B744 model appears to be the same as the one in Traffic X.  So if you are a Traffic 360 user looking for a C17 landing solution, you should be good to go with the Traffic 360 B744 .air file.)

It should be noted that other C-17 AI models were downloaded off the Internet and the .air files from those were tried too.  You would think this would work as those .air files should have the correct values in them for the C-17 aircraft.  Apparently it is not as simple as that because the downloaded C-17 .air files all resulted in the Traffic 360 C-17 either descending too rapidly (dive and subsequent crash), or flying erratically. Downloading .air files from like aircraft may work for other AI planes, but, in this case, it was not the answer.  The B744 .air file gave the best result.

I hope this information helps others …

Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic