This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boeing Or Airbus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md11nlm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 6:28am
Originally posted by roachy roachy wrote:

I'd say the hardest job to get rid of the "cons" would be as a prison officer in a non-death-penalty state Wink

I favor this more as a deep analogy....

Had a Uncle that spent his life time as a career prision guard in a Federal Penitenary, their are three things I observed about him:

First, most folks, neighbors let alone me, did not know that he worked in a prison.

When his wife drove him to work (I had jusr turned into a strapping dumb teenager, along for the ride) his entire demeanor,  went into overdrive to dead pan serious, to the point I almost didn't recognize him. Seemed like a twilight zone moment.

And, he never talked about work, ever. 

Even when the Feds executed Timothy McVeigh at that penitenary.  

Despite the fact he already had retired,  From his old co-workers, he heard enough.

That prision had and still has a flawless record. Most Federal Penitenariies do.

State prisons is a different matter, generally underfunded, therefore more troublesome.

Regardless of which, I tip my hat to these brave men, they deserve it.

Peter,
American Airlines, the businessmen Airline circa 1980
KPIE & Tampa,FL RR station.
Favorites: St. Kitts, W.I. and Union Station Chicago, IL
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 10:33am
talk about taxes even i make it to earn about £120000p/yr ill be sending about 40% off to the government for tax. so in reality ill be earning £72000 after tax, then theres living expenses,
depending on where i live to the airport with fuel how it is in the UK i already spend about £50-£100 per week putting fuel in my car.
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 12:02pm
What do you make to be £120,000 a year?
Luke Roach
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 12:25pm

errr how do you mean?

roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 12:30pm
I meant "where was the £120,000 figure from"?
Luke Roach
md11nlm View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md11nlm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 1:15pm

Probably from robbing banks, an estimate I am certain. Odd, here in the states if one reports the income from such, they must reveal the source, and if they put robbing banks, the IRS cannot reveal it.  Now that was true last century, today with Homeland Security, I have no idea.

Peter,
American Airlines, the businessmen Airline circa 1980
KPIE & Tampa,FL RR station.
Favorites: St. Kitts, W.I. and Union Station Chicago, IL
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 4:44pm

from being a top captain, i read top captains in the UK and US earn upto $250,000, estimate about £120,000?

just a saying, but in the UK ive been told if you earn over £36,000per year the tax goes from about 20% to 40%,
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 4:47pm
The tax indeed does go up from 20% to 40% - that's why there aren't many jobs between the £35,000 - £40,000 mark: take home pay would actually be lower due to tax.
Back in the 60's and early 70's income tax for top earners - those in the music and film business in particular - was sometimes up to (and past) 90%, thus why acts such as the Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin were for a long time tax exiles in the UK and did little in the way of touring their home nation.
Luke Roach
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 7:03pm
dont get me onto led zeppelin, im still annoyed i didnt get to go to their gig last year
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by 767nutter 767nutter wrote:

are you sure it didnt say 2500-3000hours of PIC? im sure i read somewhere a british airline only takes pilots for long haul positions who have at least 5000hrs. think about it, 900 hours average flying time a year, a guy gets employed by a airline at say 23yrs of age by the time hes 30 he could be flying 747s! (or 767,777,A330,A340 i'll stop now!)

Quite sure. Virgin takes plenty of ex-mil types, and very few of them will have anywhere near 5000hrs by their "retirements" in their early to mid 30s, as very few in the services get anywhere near 900hrs per year - I suspect most fleet's aircrew average between 300-500hrs, maybe 600hrs at a push per year each.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2008 at 10:09pm
ok ill just have to find that ''missing'' airline then
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic