This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Afghan President Says Taliban Used Child Bomber
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAfghan President Says Taliban Used Child Bomber

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 5:30pm
It's much more complex than simply being a punishment for "free thinking", as you put it.

I don't think it is actually. The Quran states that god is most displeased with those that denounce the religion. God goes on to threaten the severest of punishments for those responsible.

The question remains, what kind of a being would severely punish disbelievers? A benevolent one, or a malevolent one?

And would you really wish to worship a god that is so malevolent that he/she threatens the direst of consequences for denouncing the faith? A god that wishes to inflict the severest of punishments on his creations, unless they comply 100% with his wishes?

Is that not slavery, a being who wishes utter control over his subjects.

Who would want a god like that?

Precisely why Buddhism is so superior.

Buddhists will teach you their philosophy, and if you agree, great, if you don't, that’s great too. If you become a Buddhist monk, and then one day denounce the religion, that's great too. You will not be met by the Buddha in the glorious temple in the sky and subjected to a horrendous punishment. 

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 6:02pm

Being forced to believe by a God is a paradox.

Well first, we aren’t talking about belief in a god we are talking about abandonment of a faith. You may still believe in god but denounce the religion.

I may have confused you; therefore, to word it in a way that better expresses my intention.

Surely a benevolent god wouldn't "force" his subjects to comply with the accepted practises of the religion, or he kicks their ass if they don’t? That would be a malevolent act. A truly loving god wouldn't punish anyone.

If I was a Muslim, and unhappy with certain aspects of the religion, but still believed in god, I would be fearful that I would be punished by god [according to the Quran] for criticising the faith. Therefore for fear of being punished by god, I would bite my lip and not criticise the religion or abandon the accepted practises.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 7:18pm
I don't really see how that's any different to be honest.

If you were a Muslim, and believed parts of that religion were wrong, and as a result abandoned Islam, then you still wouldn't be bothered that God claims in the Quran apostates will be punished. You could still believe in God, but the fact that you no longer believe the teachings of Islam would mean you no longer believe God will punish you for leaving Islam.

After all, if you left a religion believing it not to be the true word of God, you're not going to believe God will punish you for leaving a religion he did not want you to follow, are you?

Who would want a god like that?

It's about how things are, not how we would like things to be or what makes us more emotionally comfortable.

And to most people, it's not indicative of a malevolent God at all. After all, religion is all about obeying the word of God, and understanding it as well as we can. You can extend the same logic you used to any aspect of right or wrong. I bet there are plenty of acts man can carry out which would be punished by God (according to Islam, for example), but you don't see fault with, and so would believe God is malevolent for punishing said act. Muslims endeavour to follow God's word, and understand and apply the reasoning behind it as much as possible. There are things that go against the natural instinct of what is right for some people, and other things that do the same for others.

At the end of the day, Muslims believe no matter what happens a person's reward or punishment in the after life will be just. What happens here on Earth though, what punishments should be inflicted on offenders by mere human beings, in accordance with Islamic teachings, is another thing. It can be flawed, it isn't perfect (although we do strive to be so as much as possible), and is part of the test in life. Which is exactly why the issue of what punishments should be issued for apostates is so controversial.

Also, no one apart from God can truly understand what is going through our minds, what our true intentions are, and no one apart from Him can therefore know exactly what we deserve. So some people you and me may refer to as apostates, may not be apostates in God's eyes. And vice-versa.

Going back to another point I made earlier you may have misunderstood...

Originally posted by Me Me wrote:

That's what I referred to as "complete rubbish". The Quran doesn't state any specific punishment for apostasy. The punishment is derived from other sources. Smile

I didn't mean that the Quran forbits punishment for apostasy, I meant that it doesn't demand any specific punishment or whether punishment is necessary or not. It just states apostates will be punished in the after life.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:01pm
And to most people, it's not indicative of a malevolent God at all.

Thats baffling to be honest. I think you will find, that it most definitely is a rather frightening concept and most definitely indicative of a malevolent god, to most people.

The concept of a god, causing suffering to his subjects, in this life or in the afterlife is abhorrent.

If you were a Muslim, and believed parts of that religion were wrong, and as a result abandoned Islam, then you still wouldn't be bothered that God claims in the Quran apostates will be punished.

Not the point. The point is that if you didn't agree with the concepts you were told you must comply with, but believed they were indeed the wishes of your god, because it said so in the Quran, you would obbey them for fear of your rather cruel god punishing you in the afterlife. You would be complying with your gods wishes because you were forced to.

No kindly god would harm a human being.

Muslims believe no matter what happens a person's reward or punishment in the after life will be just.

So it's "just" that god causes suffering to those who simply disagree with him is it? Sounds like an awful dictator. 

I didn't mean that the Quran forbits punishment for apostasy, I meant that it doesn't demand any specific punishment or whether punishment is necessary or not. It just states apostates will be punished in the after life.

And the notion that any god would severely punish anyone in the afterlife, for any reason is appalling. God should be about enlightenment, teaching, spiritual progress. these are the concepts that a kind, loving god would favour, not causing suffering, to those that simply don't agree with him.

So, the god you believe in disfavours any former believer who no longer believes, and wishes to severely punish them in the afterlife.

Is it surprising therefore, that some individuals, believe they are justified in carrying out gods wishes in this life? May not be right in regard to the teachings of the Quran, but you can see why they might act that way. God hates them and wishes to punish them so that means we can too.

It's called setting a bad example.  I put it to you that a god that behaves this way sets a bad example to his followers.

Religion can be a very dangerous concept. A concept that can be interpreted how people wish it to be interpreted.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:27pm
Apparently, according to the Quran, the Earth is flat.

So how can you take any of it seriously and regard it as fact, something that should be believed and followed?

Apparently the Quran is full of scientific inaccuracies. Surely if it's the word of god, then god would know these things?

Islam’s central apologetic has always been the Qur’an. One of the most popular modern arguments for Qur’anic inspiration is its supposed scientific accuracy. This is a modern argument, however, and it is full of holes. For instance, Muhammad claimed (1) that stars are really missiles used by angels to shoot demons, (2) that human embryos go through a "blood clot" stage, (3) that people used to be 90 feet tall, (4) that the sun sets in a pool of murky water, and (5) that ants can talk. (For more on this topic, see "Talking Ants and Shrinking Humans.") Due to the abundant scientific inaccuracies in the Qur’an and the Hadith, the Muslim argument for scientific precision is unconvincing.

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 9:50pm
Thats baffling to be honest. I think you will find, that it most definitely is a rather frightening concept and most definitely indicative of a malevolent god, to most people.
The concept of a god, causing suffering to his subjects, in this life or in the afterlife is abhorrent.

So it's also frightening people will be punished in the after life for murder? And stealing?

Not the point. The point is that if you didn't agree with the concepts you were told you must comply with, but believed they were indeed the wishes of your god, because it said so in the Quran, you would obbey them for fear of your rather cruel god punishing you in the afterlife. You would be complying with your gods wishes because you were forced to.

That makes no sense at all to me. All I can do is re-iterate what I said. If you believe Islam is the true message, then you are going to follow Islam and believe what God says in the Quran about punishing those who leave Islam. If you don't believe in Islam, then in turn you don't believe Islam is the message God wants you to believe in. In which case you wouldn't give a toss that the Quran states Muslim apostates will be punished, because you won't believe it.

Because of the above, there's no contradiction with the idea that God mentions in the Quran about there being no compulsion in religion.

The scenario you describe is totally paradoxical, I just don't see how that works.

If on the other hand, you mean that there could be concepts you don't instinctively agree with, but would accept them anyway because abandoning Islam would be punished (in which case your post was poorly worded IMO, because that's not what it looks like it implies to me), then I'd say it's bizarre for you to assume it's only possible you'd obey someone because you're scared of them. Ever consider that Muslims may accept concepts they don't understand out of trust, faith, respect, love?

That would get into why people are religious and what leads them to believe to begin with, and considering my past experience on this forum I'd rather avoid that topic at all costs so I'm not going to expand on this.

So it's "just" that god causes suffering to those who simply disagree with him is it? Sounds like an awful dictator.

So you'd extend your logic to murderers then? Rapists? God's an awful dicator because he also punishes those who commit these heinous crimes? Just because they don't agree with him over the seriousness/wrongness of their acts?

I'm guessing you wouldn't. In which case, where would you draw the line? Everyone would put the line in a different place. Everyone feels different instincts as to what is right or wrong.

Quote And the notion that any god would severely punish anyone in the afterlife, for any reason is appalling.

I can see how all manner of criminals would love to subscribe to this idea.

No matter what anyone does, they get away "scot-free" in the after life. Confused

Quote God should be about enlightenment, teaching, spiritual progress.

God is.

Quote these are the concepts that a kind, loving god would favour, not causing suffering, to those that simply don't agree with him.

So because God will inflict punishment in the after life, it is impossible He is loving and merciful and kind?

So there's only ever one side to anything?

That's an extremely simplistic view.

You're focusing on an incredibly small aspect of God/Religion and yet you're forming these great, big, sweeping conclusions.

It's called setting a bad example. I put it to you that a god that behaves this way sets a bad example to his followers.

No, it's called teaching us what is right and wrong by telling us what will be rewarded and punished in the after life.

Is it surprising therefore, that some individuals, believe they are justified in carrying out gods wishes in this life? May not be right in regard to the teachings of the Quran, but you can see why they might act that way. God hates them and wishes to punish them so that means we can too.

Please give me an example of a scholar arriving at a punishment for apostasy with that kind of logic.

That is utterly bizarre... Big%20smile

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Apparently, according to the Quran, the Earth is flat.

So how can you take any of it seriously and regard it as fact, something that should be believed and followed?

Apparently the Quran is full of scientific inaccuracies. Surely if it's the word of god, then god would know these things?

Islam’s central apologetic has always been the Qur’an. One of the most popular modern arguments for Qur’anic inspiration is its supposed scientific accuracy. This is a modern argument, however, and it is full of holes. For instance, Muhammad claimed (1) that stars are really missiles used by angels to shoot demons, (2) that human embryos go through a "blood clot" stage, (3) that people used to be 90 feet tall, (4) that the sun sets in a pool of murky water, and (5) that ants can talk. (For more on this topic, see "Talking Ants and Shrinking Humans.") Due to the abundant scientific inaccuracies in the Qur’an and the Hadith, the Muslim argument for scientific precision is unconvincing.

I have to say, I am astonished and my respect for your arguments has completely vanished.

Firstly, you resort to such sites as islam-watch and answering-islam. I've pointed these sites out before repeatedly, as being nothing but Islamophobic sites seeking to distort Islam's image and using verses from the Quran out of context.

Have you read those links? They're a complete and utter joke. Seriously.

Quote Apparently, according to the Quran, the Earth is flat.

Errrr.... No it doesn't say that.

Again, did you read those excerpts? How are you taking it as evidence that the Earth is flat?

Apparently the Quran is full of scientific inaccuracies. Surely if it's the word of god, then god would know these things?

It isn't.

You keep using the word "apparently". Why are you never sure? Why don't you take the time to look yourself rather than using shady sites to make your arguments?

I am astonished still that you can even begin to take that article seriously. Wow...

Put it this way.

Have a look here:

Notice how different the setup is. How thorough the explanations are, and how they relate to each verse.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 10:24pm
In fact, going over some of the examples you linked...

Originally posted by Crap site Crap site wrote:

Sura Al-Kahf (18:86)

Until, when he reached the setting place of the sun, he found it setting in a spring of black muddy (or hot) water. And he found near it a people. We (Allâh) said (by inspiration): "O Dhul-Qarnain! Either you punish them, or treat them with kindness."

Ever heard of perspective? Obviously, it would have appeared as though the Sun was setting at a point on the horizon to which the water seemed to extend.

How that implies a flat Earth is beyond me.

Quote And the sun runs on its fixed course for a term (appointed). That is the Decree of the All-Mighty, the All-Knowing.

The Sun is on a "fixed" course (in that you could use mechanics to determine it, taking into account relativity of course - how else do you think scientists know where great big bodies like asteroids are likely to be in the future) in the galaxy.

Quote It is not for the sun to overtake the moon, nor does the night outstrip the day. They all float, each in an orbit.

Which we know to be true. The Moon orbits the Earth. And the Sun, along with the entire solar system, also has its own "orbit" around the galaxy.  

To be honest, a lot of this could be down to poor translation from the meaning of the original Arabic words.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:56am

So it's also frightening people will be punished in the after life for murder? And stealing?

Yes it is. The afterlife isn't supposed to be about that. The afterlife is supposed to be about a supreme, enlightened being, who is beyond the primitive notion of inflicting suffering.

And don't forget Odai, we aren't talking about murder or stealing. We are talking about a good, perhaps gentle person, who wouldn't harm a fly, simply rejecting a religion he doesn't believe in. A god that would inflict a punishment on an individual for that, is a god I and any gentle individual would find totally unacceptable.

When religious texts like the bible and the Quran, threten their subjects with awful consequences at the hands of god, unless they do as they are told... it's simply a means of control.  Wink 

That makes no sense at all to me. All I can do is re-iterate what I said.

Let me put it in a different way then. In a way that attempts to bypass your attempt to confuse with convoluted arguments…

You have a friend, that like you follows the Islamic faith. Your friend rejects the notions in the Quran and leaves the religion. You however, obviously believe all you read in the Quran.

So do you as his friend that believes, think it’s perfectly okay for god to punish your friend severely, in heaven, for simply rejecting something he no longer believes in?

Yes or no is all that’s required. No need for convoluted arguments.

Yes? Or No?

If you don't believe in Islam, then in turn you don't believe Islam is the message God wants you to believe in. In which case you wouldn't give a toss that the Quran states Muslim apostates will be punished, because you won't believe it.

Irrelevant.  The premise here is that god does exist and will punish those who reject the religion. The premise is that the individual who rejects the religion doesn’t believe in the religion… But he is in error, and based on the Quran being correct and the true word of god, god does punish him.

No need for those tactics, the question is simple. Yes or no?

So you'd extend your logic to murderers then? Rapists?

Again, out of context. We aren’t talking about rape and murder, we are talking about an individual who simply leaves the faith and is therefore punished by god.

No diversionary tactics please. Answer the question. Yes or no?

God should be about enlightenment, teaching, spiritual progress.

Odai> God is.

And inflicting pain and suffering for simply leaving a religion, according to the Quran. Which you seem perfectly okay with.

Please give me an example of a scholar arriving at a punishment for apostasy with that kind of logic.

I wasn't referring to scholars! The Quran clearly states how god will punish those that reject the religion.  It’s not much of a leap to see how non-scholars, might interpret that as god being mightily displeased by such individuals. And perhaps those individuals might be somewhat more inclined to treat such individuals harshly.

However, I believe there are some scholars who do actually advocate a death penalty for Apostasy, in a 100% Islamic state.  
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:59am
You keep using the word "apparently". Why are you never sure?

Because I'm not sure you nincompoop! Big%20smile 

Precisely why I asked you the question. You see, you're the Islam expert on the forum. It's not always a personal attack on you you know.

To be honest, a lot of this could be down to poor translation from the meaning of the original Arabic words.

Another question for you...

How much is there in the Quran that's "poorly translated from the original Arabic words"?

Doesn't poor translation negate any meaningful interpretation. Can you take it literally when...

The Quran has been passed down to us from men called "the Readers". They were famous reciters of the Quran in the early centuries of Islam.

The way these men recited the Qur'an was then formerly recorded in textual form by other men called the "Transmitters".

How on Earth can you take anything in the Quran literally, [including god punishing Apostasy] when it was written down after someone heard a recital. To expect an accurate rendition now, would be ridiculous.

Add to that, the fact that the written form has been translated umpteen times, and your on a looser.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:00am
Let me ask you a question...

Odai, do you believe everything you read in the Quran?

Yes or no is all that's required. No need for convoluted replies. Smile

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:26am
Odai,

Looking at what you say here:

Originally posted by Crap site

Sura Al-Kahf (18:86)

Until, when he reached the setting place of the sun, he found it setting in a spring of black muddy (or hot) water. And he found near it a people. We (Allâh) said (by inspiration): "O Dhul-Qarnain! Either you punish them, or treat them with kindness."

Ever heard of perspective? Obviously, it would have appeared as though the Sun was setting at a point on the horizon to which the water seemed to extend.

----------------------------------------------

How that implies a flat Earth is beyond me.

Well, it's saying that the sun sets at the edge of the Ocean into a pool of black mud to hide it, rather than disappearing behind the curvature of the Earth, and that somebody travelled to that place where it set and found people there. A pretty good indication that the world was considered flat instead of round.
You might say that the reasoning is perhaps less than rock-solid. However, compare it to some of the statements on the Miracles of the Quran website, this one supposedly proving that radar was a miracle from the Quran, and you should see that the text these scientific predictions are based on are far, far more tenuous.

We gave Dawud great favor from Us: 'O mountains and birds! echo with him in his praise!' And We made iron malleable for him: (Surah Saba', 10)

We gave Sulayman understanding of it. We gave each of them judgment and knowledge. We subjected the mountains to Dawud, glorifying, and the birds as well. This is something We are well able to do. (Surat al-Anbiya', 79)

So We subjected the wind to him to blow at his command, softly, wherever he directed. (Surah Sâd, 36)

How that implies the existence of radar is totally and completely beyond me!

The statements on that website are laughable.  

Quote Why don't you take the time to look yourself rather than using shady sites to make your arguments?

I am astonished still that you can even begin to take that article seriously. Wow...

I am equally astonished that you take that website seriously. Wow.

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 6:26pm

Yes it is. The afterlife isn't supposed to be about that. The afterlife is supposed to be about a supreme, enlightened being, who is beyond the primitive notion of inflicting suffering.

Right...

So that's what it's "supposed" to be about. Or in other words, because the notion of being able to do what ever you like here and not be punished for it is emotionally comforting for you.

I've repeated this idea many times before, and you always have trouble with it. Those who believe in God believe this life was meant as a test.

And don't forget Odai, we aren't talking about murder or stealing. We are talking about a good, perhaps gentle person, who wouldn't harm a fly, simply rejecting a religion he doesn't believe in. A god that would inflict a punishment on an individual for that, is a god I and any gentle individual would find totally unacceptable.

Not any gentle person, just you. You can't speak on the behalf of all "gentle" people, that's crazy.

Like I said, everyone has different instincts as to what is acceptable and what isn't. And I'm not going to go in to the details of morality on an internet forum, certain subtleties seem to escape you. Wink 

When religious texts like the bible and the Quran, threten their subjects with awful consequences at the hands of god, unless they do as they are told... it's simply a means of control. Wink

Again, the situation you keep bring up is entirely paradoxical. If you believe God wants you to do something, then you'd believe it is the right thing to do also.

So do you as his friend that believes, think it’s perfectly okay for god to punish your friend severely, in heaven, for simply rejecting something he no longer believes in?

Yes or no is all that’s required. No need for convoluted arguments.

Yes? Or No?

I couldn't care less. As a Muslim, I believe that if he truly did wrong he would be punished in the after life. It's not for me to identify whether he is truly an apostate. In the end, every Muslim would believe a person's reward/punishment in the after life is just. All that should concern me is to treat those around me in this life as God has instructed me to.

Irrelevant. The premise here is that god does exist and will punish those who reject the religion. The premise is that the individual who rejects the religion doesn’t believe in the religion… But he is in error, and based on the Quran being correct and the true word of god, god does punish him.

No need for those tactics, the question is simple. Yes or no?

Yes or no to what? Confused 

Either way, read what I said above.

I wasn't referring to scholars! The Quran clearly states how god will punish those that reject the religion. It’s not much of a leap to see how non-scholars, might interpret that as god being mightily displeased by such individuals. And perhaps those individuals might be somewhat more inclined to treat such individuals harshly.

Which is totally irrelevant then, because no "non-scholar" has the right to state what punishment is in accordance with Islam.
Because I'm not sure you nincompoop! Big%20smile
Precisely why I asked you the question. You see, you're the Islam expert on the forum. It's not always a personal attack on you you know.
I didn't say it was a personal attack. I was expressing my disappointment at why you'd use sites like that for making your arguments. Sites which are not simply against/disagree with Islam, but actively twist the message in Islam to suit their own agenda.
Another question for you...
How much is there in the Quran that's "poorly translated from the original Arabic words"?

Eh? That question doesn't make sense. The Quran is in Arabic...

Unless you mean individual sites using their own translations of the original Arabic, in which case much of the meaning can be lost. As certain Arabic words carry more weight and meaning before they are translated into English, for example.

A good example to use is the word God uses for the moon. In Arabic, it also gives the impression of a body reflecting light. In English, it just means the celestial body floating nearby. Which is why professional translations will often come with notes to account for this loss in meaning.

This is a good example:

I've got it, it's a great book. It gives a very good translation of every verse, with notes all over the place. Very thorough explanations on the implications for the original meaning after a translation, and the history of translations of the Quran and the resulting effects.

Quote The Quran has been passed down to us from men called "the Readers". They were famous reciters of the Quran in the early centuries of Islam.

Eh?

The Quran was originally revelead to the Prophet (pbuh), who recited it to people who would write the words down.

Those words are the same today as they were then, there's no difference.

Add to that, the fact that the written form has been translated umpteen times, and your on a looser.

So what if it's been translated? Confused

How does that affect the integrity of the original Quran? Which is in Arabic? The language still spoken by hundreds of millions of people?

You can question the integrity of translations into other languages. But the Arabic original is word for word the exact same as it was when it was revealed. Copies of the Quran printed today are the exact same as they have been throught the centuries.

Yes.

Well, it's saying that the sun sets at the edge of the Ocean into a pool of black mud to hide it, rather than disappearing behind the curvature of the Earth, and that somebody travelled to that place where it set and found people there. A pretty good indication that the world was considered flat instead of round. 

Sorry, but that's a  massive leap in logic IMO. I just don't see any scientific implication here.

Today, we always say the Sun "sets" in the West. But it doesn't, it disappears behind the curvature of the Earth, dips below the horizon, or however you'd like to put it, and you'd be facing West to face a "setting Sun".

Quote However, compare it to some of the statements on the Miracles of the Quran website

Some. Not all. Not most. The person who wrote it is an individual. No one's perfect you know. You need to read the explanations. Just reading an English translation of a single excerpt of the Quran isn't going to tell you much at all is it? With a lot of the examples on the site, it's not particularly striking at all on its own. You need to understand the meaning behind the original Arabic words, which has not made it through to the English translation.

Why do you think Arabic has been kept alive all these years, as the original language of the Quran?

How about...

Originally posted by site site wrote:

The number of times the words "man" and "woman" are repeated in the Qur'an, 23, is at the same time that of the chromosomes from the egg and sperm in the formation of the human embryo. The total number of human chromosomes is 46; 23 each from the mother and father.

And...

Quote The word "land" appears 13 times in the Qur'an and the word "sea" 32 times, giving a total of 45 references. If we divide that number by that of the number of references to the land we arrive at the figure 28.888888888889%. The number of total references to land and sea, 45, divided by the number of references to the sea in the Qur'an, 32, is 71.111111111111%. Extraordinarily, these figures represent the exact proportions of land and sea on the Earth today

Seems pretty hard for some forgerer one and a half thousand years ago to make the precise measurements required for that, to dupe people today.

Or...

Quote And it is We Who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We Who are steadily expanding it. (Qur'an, 51:47

Referring to the expansion of the universe.

Or this:

And this:

Quote "By heaven furnished with paths;"

Referring to the movement of celestial bodies in space.

Or the layers of the atmosphere:

And how there are seven "heavens", in the context of each distinct one having it's own function or "mandate".

Those are just some examples. There are a lot more, but all I'm doing is linking and quoting. Just read them on the original page to see what I mean.

Clearly, if you don't believe them on that site, you won't believe them re-written here - but it seems to me you haven't bothered beyond having a quick look at the excerpts.

I've allowed myself to get into another debate I don't have time for. Tongue

Like I said, it's all there, all you have to do is read through.

And Martin, I gave John a link earlier, you can use that if you want to ask more questions about Islam. You'll get better answers from them than you will from me.
papeg View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 6:55pm
Quote And it is We Who have constructed the heaven with might, and verily, it is We Who are steadily expanding it. (Qur'an, 51:47

Who is the "We" refering to in the above passage?
Greg
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:37pm
The "We" refers to God alone.

It's a language thing. In Arabic, you have two forms of "you". Singular and plural. When talking to a friend, you'd use the singular. When talking to somone who you should not talk to in a personal manner, like a job interviewer, you'd use a slightly modified form of the singular.

With the highest people though, you'd use the plural form. 

It's the same kind of thing in many European languages. In French for example, you wouldn't talk to someone older than you using singular "tu", you'd use plural "vous".  
papeg View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:45pm
Like when royalty refers to itself in the third person?
Greg
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:54pm
Quote Like when royalty refers to itself in the third person?  

I don't know, I've never heard it in English.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 8:55pm
I've repeated this idea many times before, and you always have trouble with it. Those who believe in God believe this life was meant as a test.

I don’t have trouble with it, it’s a simple concept. I just don’t believe it. It’s an invented concept, invented by human beings. Just as the Quran was “recited” by someone who “said” it was the word of god. I don’t believe him! you can if you like! Wink

Unfortunately though, you have “trouble” with the notion that I don’t believe invented notions to be fact without evidence.  Wink

Again, the situation you keep bring up is entirely paradoxical. If you believe God wants you to do something, then you'd believe it is the right thing to do also.

Utter nonsense! You can believe God wants you to do something, because it says so in some holly text. But that doesn’t mean you don’t have reservations about it. You can still struggle with the concept you are asked to adhere to.

So if I read in a holy text that I should kill you, and I believed that holy text to be the word of god, you think I would believe it was right to kill you? Of course I wouldn’t, I would believe it was the word of god, but be terribly disturbed by the request my god was making.

Come on Odai, you are smarter than that.

I couldn't care less. As a Muslim, I believe that if he truly did wrong he would be punished in the after life.

Isn’t it about time you answered the question properly???

The question was in regard to that individual, the individual that is to be punished in the afterlife, simply because he/she no longer favoured the religion he/she once did. This is the crux of the issue, the individual being punished by god for simply exercising his freedom of choice???????

And don’t say it’s paradoxical because it isn’t. You believe in the religion, you believe in the god, so for you, that individual would be punished.

So is it right to be punished for exercising your freedom of choice or not????

I was expressing my disappointment at why you'd use sites like that for making your arguments.

I wasn’t using the site to make my argument. I was showing you what the site contained and asking for your opinion. I also expressed my view, if the notions expressed where valid.

The Quran was originally revelead to the Prophet (pbuh), who recited it to people who would write the words down.

Those words are the same today as they were then, there's no difference.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Green/seven.htm

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:00pm

Odai >  Yes.

So someone once claimed he knew the word of god, without evidence of his claim, and you believe him.

Very Interesting! Confused

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 9:05pm
Quote http://www.answering-islam.org/Green/seven.htm
Yes, referring to that site to get your "facts". That works absolute wonders for your argument doesn't it? (end sarcasm)
Seriously, I suggest you use reputable sites for your information, as opposed to sites clearly out to distort Islam's image through obvious lies. Shouldn't be hard to find alternate sources if what you say is true, should it?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic