This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler Screenshots
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hairy Landing at PAJN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ava_ati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hairy Landing at PAJN
    Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 5:21pm
Damn those controllers for giving me a VFR approach on runway 26 at Juneau Intl. in these conditions.

papeg View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 5:29pm
Juneau is a difficult landing, especially in adverse weather.  How did the landing go?
Greg
spidierox View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spidierox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 8:19am
Actually, they gave you a visual approach not a VFR approach

If you can carry it, we can transport it.
ava_ati View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ava_ati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 2:57pm
I got it down but the wind was all over the place, when I do a visual I like to fly up the river which puts you somewhat to the left of the runway as you can see. The lineup wasn't the hard part the hard part was the very odd winds that made my aircraft say I was doing 160 knotts one moment and then 90 knotts about 100 feet short of the RWY... What also was weird is as soon as I landed and started taxiing my air hauler came accross and told me my altimeter was broken. Strange flight all together!
Jmorgan93 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmorgan93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:07pm
How did you get that paint job on your learjet? Looks like an interesting approach, I'll probably never have to fly there as my base is in the UK though :P
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2010 at 9:46pm
Hello,
Seing this made me think of some flying I did the other day. I was experimenting around and putting together an RNAV approach for Juneau that would work for my Citation X:

I used some existing waypoints and then added a couple of others so that the plane makes a dogleg over Auke Bay;

Since the existing approaches require so much in terms of visibility, I thought it'd be cool to make one in the spirit of Alaska Airlines' RNP approaches.

Coming in the other day, I had the chance to test it out in inclement conditions.

Here's the view approaching Mendenhall Peninsula. The path takes you pretty much straight in without the usual dogleg at the last minute;

wavn View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wavn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 9:05am
I can feel the cold coming from the the picture ava_ati Smile
You guys love flying in cold / bad weather I see . 

Nice pic's Brian!
Also here I can feel the cold coming from the last one Smile ;
Which Citation X add-on is it?

Willem
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 4:26pm
Hi Willem. It's the Eaglesoft version (2.0 which supports SIDs and STARS)Smile
wavn View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wavn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Brian_ Brian_ wrote:

Hi Willem. It's the Eaglesoft version (2.0 which supports SIDs and STARS)Smile

Thought so Brian, but I think to remember that you once was not 100% in favour of Eaglesoft?
You like this one?
Brian_ View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2010 at 7:14pm
Well...while I give their products high marks, their customer service was and still is, some of the worst in the industry. Only the fact that they make the best Citation X on the market would persuade me to purchase from them.

In this particular case, the upgraded version is much more functional than the originally released plane. You can plug in a flightplan, with SIDs, STARs, and approaches and the plane's FMS is extremely accurate. The plane still has some minor bugs, but all in all, it's a very nice add-on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic