Print Page | Close Window

Summer 2009 | | Where have you been / going ?

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Chat
Forum Name: Just Chat - General Discussion
Forum Description: Forum for shootin' the breeze about subjects not relating to Flight Simulation or aviation
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9388
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 5:48am

Topic: Summer 2009 | | Where have you been / going ?
Posted By: 737Chris
Subject: Summer 2009 | | Where have you been / going ?
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 11:54am
Hey guys,

Well unfortunately for the first time in a long time, I havnt been able to go abroad.  Alot of money has been spent on the house instead.

Have you gone anywhere nice this summer ?

What did you travel on ?

Did anything particulary interesting / funny / scary happen ?

Smile

-Chris

-------------
Generic forum signature

Replies:
Posted By: TomA320
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 12:11pm
Well usally we take it turn about, one year abroad and one at home.  This year we went camping in Gairloch and Oban.  It was very nice, but on the last day when we woke up there were swarms of misqitoes, it was awfull, I quickly went to sit in the car while my mum and dad packed up the tent, then lots of misquitoes got into the car and it was awfull, it too ages to get rid of then.  Horible things, I didn't get many bites but my mum and dad are coverd even with a net on.

Give me Nice/Monaco anyday! 

Posted By: CptColossi
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 12:17pm
2008 - Summer - Mon 27th July (1 Week) Zakynthos, Greece - First Choice Airways
2009 - Summer - Mon 27th July (1 Week) Zakynthos, Greece - ThomsonFly (FC livery)

Went the same apartments twice in two years, and I would gladly make it 3 in 3!
Tongue
If anyone has been to Zakynthos, you'll know the proximity of the runway to the main road, its like its own little Princess Juliana over there, when the wind is right! ;)

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 12:29pm
Zakynthos is a really nice place, I went there a few years ago, and always remember the good cheese toasties at the bar.

Posted By: 737Chris
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

Zakynthos is a really nice place, I went there a few years ago, and always remember the good cheese toasties at the bar.

I went there a few years ago,  i had those cheese toasties ! hahaha nice nice

-------------
Generic forum signature

Posted By: Matt N
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 12:37pm
Cry Didn't go anywhere this summer. Much to my Mum's disapproval, we (me and my Dad) got a new car instead.

Have to make it a Winter holiday, December time, rather than a Summer holiday..

Matt.

-------------
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.

Posted By: CptColossi
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Matt N Matt N wrote:

Cry Didn't go anywhere this summer. Much to my Mum's disapproval, we (me and my Dad) got a new car instead.

Have to make it a Winter holiday, December time, rather than a Summer holiday..

Matt.

I bet she was impressed! Haha

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 12:57pm
What type of car did you get?

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 1:04pm
I bet she was impressed! Haha

She went mad when we told her. So now there's a new kitchen being fitted in October, she's quite content now..

What type of car did you get?

It's a Clio Sport, manual. Being delivered end of September.

Matt.

-------------

Posted By: ConcordeGuy
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2009 at 10:11pm
I went to Lanzarote for the second time - absolutely brilliant place! Some places like the beach fronts were too commercial (I.E Too British)

-------------
Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600

Posted By: CyprusAirwaysA330
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 1:53pm
I went to Venice, the US and Canada, and Bulgaria.  Venice is a fantastic place - plenty of small winding streets with little shops, - though expensive.

-------------
http://www.speedtest.net">

Posted By: johnsmithfsx
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 5:25pm
I went to the Black Hills to see Mt. Rushmore and the working on Crazy Horse. It was great! I got the chance to take the very helicopter tour in the video shown below (only I was in a Robinson R44). What an experience! Also, it was the first time I'd been airborne in over five years. I miss the sky...

What a great helicopter!

-------------

Posted By: icudan
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 7:28pm
Not going anywhere this summer except work. Thumbs%20Down And maybe a night in the cells since the football season has started, ahh good times. Cool

Went to Ireland with my mate in January though, just got leglessly drunk everyday, sprained my wrist on the last night aswell. .

-------------
Regards,
Dan

Posted By: FSaddict
Date Posted: 14 Aug 2009 at 8:50pm
Tenerife (Where i am now)
Thomson/FirstChoice
Wayout A321
Wayin ???

I'm enjoying it so far though

Posted By: Edward Longe
Date Posted: 16 Aug 2009 at 6:36am
Mallorca on a Monarch A321
Bonaire Fokker 70/ MD11

-------------

CAA= Cash Again,Again!

Posted By: AirbusLad
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2009 at 1:46am
Just come back (well landed at 3am on the 16th at gatwick) from Spain, Landed at Alicante but stayed near Benidorm, The whole of the 16 Days was hot hot hot and better still stayed at my Girlfriend's Family villa Big%20smile.

Plane going out and coming back was G-TTOB 1 of Easy's new A320's (Ex British Airways)which is still very much in its half livery. Noisey engines, Landing Gear  going up and coming down sounded like it needed replacing it was that bumpy and noisey, ALTHO on a good note the old British Airways seats was lovely and soft unlike EZY's 319 Seats.

Holiday's coming up - Spain again in october and another holiday at Christmas which is still in the planning where to go .

-------------
MacBook Pro | 15inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display | Quad core Intel i7 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 | 512GB Solid State Drive

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
iPhone 4S
iPhone 3GS

Posted By: Minty
Date Posted: 17 Aug 2009 at 7:46pm
Unfortunatly due to ongoing health problems - my wife for the past 6 years has been unable to fly - the pressure could kill her so we have been told not to fly and its not something we would chance.

So we took the caravan for a week in Norfolk - lovely place near Cromer, and then pulled back to the Peak District for another week, stayed on a farm about 12 miles from Ashbourne, again a lovely place.

Some good walking area around Dovedale, went to Chatsworth House, a place really worth visiting. You would need a whole day to see the house and gardens.

My wife decided that she would tow the van all the way to Cromer, and also from the Peak District to home, (I did the bit in the middle).

Its quite interesting to see other motorists faces when we pull up at services, and my wife gets out of the driving seat, there is a lot of double takes, especially as its not a little caravan. Its a twin axle Abbey Spectrum 540 (weighs nearly 2 tons and is 28 feet in length) that we pull with a Landrover Discovery.

And we have just got back from a Weekend in Cardiff as my wife was playing in the Wales Millennium Theatre. Whilst there we saw the sound of Music and met Connie Fisher.

Thinking of going back to the Peak District in October half term and the Cotswolds in February.

Posted By: MartinW
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2009 at 10:03am

Just don't drive near the Top Gear boys Minty. Big%20smile

To be honest, it's a very, very long time since I went on holiday. Can't drive too far due to my back and then there's financial difficulties of course.

However, feel the urge coming on, so do it in lots of short driving sessions and plenty of breaks, and who knows.

Best holiday I've had was nothing fancy, just a stay in a wooden lodge, elevated into the trees. It was in Devon. The wildlife that visited us up in the trees was fantastic.

Trouble was, my wife noticed that the window looked a bit weird, as we sat on the balcony, admiring the scenery and identifying various species. So DIY expert that I am, I leapt into action and attempted an impressive fix. Gave it a shove, and the whole pane slid out into my arms, heavy it was as well. Managed to maneuver it back into place eventually, and then it was back to entertaining our selves feeding the squirrels.

Posted By: 767nutter
Date Posted: 18 Aug 2009 at 3:00pm
Was thinking of going away in a couple of weeks but unable to get time off work.
Did go to Kenya though in Feb ( honeymoon actually ) Flew with Monarch on a A330-200

It's a Clio Sport, manual. Being delivered end of September.

I'm assuming its the 2litre 172 or 182 version?

Date Posted: 18 Aug 2009 at 3:27pm
Its the 1.6 128 GT, I'll drop a link if I find one.

Matt.

-------------

Posted By: Minty
Date Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 6:20pm
Martin - there are now several sites that offer - small and cheap wooden accomodation.

Called Pods  - in this current format - they are as big as a very large family tent, but they may be something you could try - as they are cheaper than some parks at £37 per night and sleeps 4 - all you need is your sleeping bag.

Have a look at this link http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campingpods - http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/campingpods

This is a link from the camping & Caravan club - but there are other places that you can get them

We both suffer with a bad back now and again - me with Sciattica and the wife general wear and tear from her playing days, but we find the harder surface to be beneficial - although to be fair we do use a flock covered inflatable mattress. - Although we caravan we also still use a tent - as there are some places we like to go to that will not allow vans on site.

Good Luck - and yes we are always on the look out for a film crew with Mr Clarkson in tow - not nessessarily to give him a piece of our mind - but to ask him could he tow as well as my missus ?????

Posted By: GBL
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 1:11pm
Just booked Tenerife 02-16 Dec but made a hash of the flights. I thought i would be clever and get the 0700 easyJet flight out of Gatwick and return on Aer Lingus from Tenerife as the easyJet would get in 6hrs before the Aer Lingus out of Gatwick. So i booked the out bound easyJet flight and then tried the Aer Lingus return flight,  but it was in euros, so i continued thinking its still not to bad a price, but then after getting through Pax names etc i had to add the baggage on ( Unlike easyJet where you add it on first and see the price, Aer Lingus give you the choice at the paying stage) so it would end up more expensive than the return easyJet price OuchOuch, so i aborted it and booked easyJet from Tenerife which was in Euros and as it was another booking i ended up paying 2 lots of Debit card fees and i have 2 separate booking forms, plus i've got to fill everyones details out twice OuchOuch. I'm so stupid sometimes, what looks cheap is not always so cheap OuchOuch. I'm going with my 2 daughters.

-------------
Aircraft Engines are the sound of Freedom.

ART

Posted By: Edward Longe
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2009 at 1:27pm
When I was travelling to Bonaire, I arrived at Amsterdam and ran to catch the flight! Got there with a few minuites to spare and I waited for the que to die down. When I got to boarding I was told they had given away my seat and transferd me onto another seat. So they got everyone on board and the captain came over the intercom saying that they had discoverded a suspected oil leak. About an hour had passed and he came over the intercom again saying it was not an oil leak but a hydrolic leak. He said they were going to bring another MD11 from the other side of the airport and if the problem wasn't fixed we'd have to get onto that one. So out the window I spotted the other MD11 taxi to the gate next to us. So we all disembarked and waited in a holding area. It took another hour for them to board passengers with young chilldren (as I was traveling alone I tagged along with these). Although 3hrs late my uncle had no way of knowing about the delay and we were ment to arrive at 2am local. I got through immergration at 6:45! 

-------------

CAA= Cash Again,Again!

Print Page | Close Window