Print Page | Close Window

AH Lancaster Cold Start - 1,2 (port) won't start

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Flight Products
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Description: For discussion relating to Just Flight and other products or simulators
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=32497
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:18pm

Topic: AH Lancaster Cold Start - 1,2 (port) won't start
Posted By: Adamski_NZ
Subject: AH Lancaster Cold Start - 1,2 (port) won't start
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 11:58am
Call me a masochist, call me a sucker .. but don't call me Shirley! Tongue

I'm a sucker for starting up from cold - especially if you're talking about 4 beautiful Merlins.

I've followed the manual - and looked at the promo video (though it doesn't show a complete startup) - and there's no way I can start the two port engines (2,1) after successfully starting 3,4.

It's as if the fuel cocks aren't working - though they're both set to "open". I've tried various combinations of fuel pumps and oil dilution, with or without ground power etc. - but have to resort to the dreaded CTRL-E method. Guy Gibson would turn in his grave!!!

Any ideas, gents?

Adam.

-------------
http://www.nzfsim.org/" rel="nofollow">
www.nzfsim.org

Replies:
Posted By: petesmiffy
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 2:52pm
I haven't come across this problem, it works fine for me. The fact that some engines start and some don't would seem to rule out anything in your settings.
If you don't use the "cold and dark" setting switch and manually ensure that everthing is switched off, can you then make a successful start? I have AH's Stinson and I cannot start it if I use the C&D set up switch, but, starting from a C&D default flight, I find that I can start up okay.
My other suggestion is reinstall the aircraft.

Good luck

Posted By: WarHorse47
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 2:58pm
Assuming you used the "cold & dark" switch, it sounds like the port fuel cocks (wheels) were not opened correctly. Doing a center click on the wheels can be tricky. There are no tool tips to let you know if they are open or not. If you get the lights above the fuel pump switches to turn off, then you know you got fuel going to the respective engines.

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 3:11pm
Thanks for the replies, @pete and @war ... I'll try those tips tomorrow.

I'm wondering what happens if you don't have a mouse with a middle click? I do have one, but it's mapped to my Chaseplane activate pan key. I'm intrigued as to why the starboard fuel (wheel) cock seem to work regardless of whether I lock it, but the port one doesn't.

I'd have thought a regular left mouse click on the centre of the wheel would have been a better ploy <?>. As you say, though - if there's no visual indication of that central collar being in or out, then a tooltip would help enormously. However - many people run their sims with tooltips disabled (not me, I must add!).

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Date Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 3:47pm
My current mouse is because of the Lancaster. I could center-click the port fuel cock, but had problems with the starboard one. My last mouse had a center wheel, but it lacked enough friction so whenever I went to use the wheel it did all kinds of weird stuff.

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 3:52am
Well folks - it looks like I found the culprit! I have my middle mouse button mapped to a couple of functions in Chaseplane.

When I disable those, the fuel wheel cocks lock behave as intended. Yay!!!!

For some reason, setting the "Cold Start" option doesn't seem to close/lock the two starboard cocks - hence the confusion later when 3,4 start OK but not 2,1.

Even so - a tooltip or some other visual indicator of the state of these locks would be nice!

Adam.

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 11:33am
Excellent. Now we don't have to call you Shirley anymore.   

--WH

Print Page | Close Window