Forum Name: DH.104 Dove & Devon
Forum Description: Discussion area for DH.104 Dove & Devon
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=32479
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:14am

Topic: Where to Fly?
Posted By: Mithras
Subject: Where to Fly?
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 12:04pm
This is a lovely machine with a beautiful cockpit and amazing sounds. I love the plane, but I'm just not sure where to fly 'realistic' flights. Any suggestions. My sim and traffic is all set up for 2008-2012 - so no missions from the 50s or 60s. 

Does anybody fly this bird regularly, if so ... where?

Replies:
Posted By: Rich
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 12:48pm
Hi,
I believe you can still charter a Dove flight from Biggin Hill to Le Touquet for a spot of lunch and then fly back again. I suggest recreating that as a good starting point (sandwich upon landing optional).

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Just-Flight/15266573498" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 2:49pm
That's neat! You can fly from Headcorn, too, which takes you up with a spitfire for photo opportunities. I was thinking at work ... perhaps an epic flight? Maybe flying the South African paint from Capetown to London, via the Sahara and Gibraltar for a visit or airshow, or even to join a museum collection. On that same theme... its a long flight, but maybe fly the NZ paint from Christchurch to Singapore, Akrotiri, Malta, Gibralter and then to London on a similar mission. They would be epic flights, but I've rarely enjoyed flying a twin aircraft as smooth and immersive as the Dove.

Posted By: hifly
Date Posted: 20 Sep 2018 at 8:55pm
IIRC there were commercial flights from Blackpool to the Isle of Man.

-------------
Must Fly!

Posted By: AlyMac
Date Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 11:10am
When I started flying back in 1973 I needed two cushions, one to sit on, the other behind me to fly G-AWES - an old C-150H.

At about the same time there was a Dove lying abandoned for many months. From memory she was in maroon and white livery - damned if I can remember the registration though. She had been used for flying shellfish from Stornaway, Benbecula, Barra and Tiree to France ! 

Loganair operated a Heron - I think a Dove as well if my memory is correct. I have the Loganair book in storage and Im sure there are some pictures within.

I used to fly for Loganair and the routes are the very best without exception. Demanding wx and the most beautiful scenery in the World :-) These were the routes I flew in the DHC-6, and they hadnt been changed since Loganair started in the 1970's flying builders, bricklayers, Plasterers and newspapers !

Dont forget that the air ambulance service was also in operation. The most unusual we had was flying a seal (the furry kind rather than the special forces type) which had been hit by a propeller in Barra harbour. It was flown to Glasgow on a chilly November night and returned a few days later !

Enjoy

Glasgow - Tiree - Barra - Tiree - Glasgow
Glasgow - Machrihannish - Glasgow
Glasgow - Carrickfinn - Glasgow (our only international flight in the Tw'otter)
Stornaway - Benbecula, Barra. Tiree - Stronaway (morning and afternoon School run ! YES I am serious) - this was the most memorable of flights in my log book. Short sectors and awe inspiring scenery
Edinburgh - Wick - Sumburgh - Wick - Edinburgh
Edinburgh - Lerwick- Unst - Lerwick Edinburgh

-------------
...Put out my hand, and touched the face of God

Date Posted: 06 Oct 2018 at 8:57pm
Great stuff, thanks! I've flown a lot of those routes (in the sim) with the BN Islander, it would be nice to do them in the Dove. 

Posted By: AlyMac
Date Posted: 07 Oct 2018 at 7:38am
.......sorry chum, that was a senior moment about Loganair aircraft type and times. It was BEA - British European Airways who operated the service with the Heron and Dove in the 1950's.

Corrosion was a major factor for BEA stopping a service to Barra. Salt ingest from tidal operations took their toll on the Heron/Dove wing structures. BEA dropped the other routes as unprofitable during the "Jet Age" 'sixties and of course the Heron and Dove were retired from service - with nothing to replace them. 

Willie Logan started in 1962 with the PA-23. He also operated a Beech 18 out of Edinburgh in the 1970's - how i loved to walk around G-ASUG at Edinburgh ! She lives at East Fortune now.

-------------
...Put out my hand, and touched the face of God

Print Page | Close Window