Print Page | Close Window

Hawker Hunter Flying Problem

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Flight Products
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Description: For discussion relating to Just Flight and other products or simulators
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=32267
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:17pm

Topic: Hawker Hunter Flying Problem
Posted By: daveyG
Subject: Hawker Hunter Flying Problem
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 8:58am
Pretty new to Flight Sim, about 3 months into the experience, and I have my first add on aircraft. Why choose the Billy Bunter, well I worked on them for a couple of years and flew in the T birds a bit so it was nostalgia in some ways and it is, after all, an iconic machine. I am however experiencing some problems with flying the aircraft that have me puzzled. I have read the notes with the download and I have read the RAF Jever Pilot's Notes and I can't seem to locate a reference to my flying issue.

Take off is fine, although it doesn't behave like the Pilot's Notes says it should and it takes quite a pull to unstick even at 160kts, and climbing out at full power and 0.85M works fine. It is when I back off on the power and try to level off that my problems seem to start. I am completely unable to trim the aircraft for level flight. The aircraft will continue to climb at max rate on the VSI, with reducing speed, whatever I do with the throttle. If I use the elevator trim the tiniest amount then the nose goes down and pretty soon the VSI is at max rate down. If I just nudge back on the stick (and then hands off) I return to a climb, again with the needle hard against the stop on the VSI. Even if I do manage to achieve a period of level flight, it doesn't last long before this pitch oscillation starts again. The Pilot's notes indicate that the normal situation is that, for level flight the elevator trim should normally be in the range of half to one degree nose down but if I select half a division on the trim gauge the aircraft requires constant back pressure on the stick to stop it diving quite dramatically.

I do keep getting a 'Flying Tip' that the 'fuel is dangerously low in the selected tank and automatic refuel is available by pressing Ctrl + x'. I don't know if this means that the software is detecting an almost empty front tank initiating a nose up moment but if I press Ctrl x the nose will slowly go down until we're in a dive and transonic again. The fuel system transfer is selected to Auto, the transfer indicators show fuel transfer open from the wings to the front tank and the fuel gauges both show full. The fuel transfer switches do not function so I am unable to play around with different transfer scenarios. The fuel pumps are both on.

I have flown the aircraft for periods of up to 45 minutes without being able to sort either of these problems and I would appreciate any advice on where to go with them.

Thanks

dave

Replies:
Posted By: Uncle Bucc
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 10:18am
Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have the Hunter in my hangar so I can't answer that particular question.

However, in regards to the "annoying" flying tips I would suggest going into the settings section and uncheck the 'Flying Tips' box.  Either in the airplane (sic) section or under the custom settings tabs.

This should solve that issue.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 11:06am
Thanks Uncle Bucc (Lossie, Honington or Navy?). I actually turned the Flying Tips on to see if it might pinpoint the problem for me, they'll be gone again once I'm sorted and I know that fuel transfer is not the issue.

Posted By: Delta558
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 11:32am
Hi Dave,

Sounds like you have a fairly hefty problem there as that is most definitely NOT how it is intended to fly!

I've just re-installed the Hunter and taken it for a quick circuit at Valley - You should be able to feel the nose strut extension by heavy use of the stick from just below 100kts, then as the elevator gradually builds effect you can lift the nose and balance it until either the aircraft flies off by itself or a little pull gets the mains off (dependant on no flap / flap).

Given that you are (a) relatively new to the sim and (b) not getting the fine control which this aircraft was designed for and then are getting extremes of pitch when airborne, I'm wondering how you have your controls set up - could you check that you have all your control axes set to max sensitivity and a very small null zone (you can't have no null zone because of the way sim controllers are built with a very definite 'centre point', but near to nothing is achievable). Also, in general sim settings, make sure all your realism sliders are at max realism.

Have a go with that, see how you get on. If that still doesn't fix it give me a yell either here or via pm and we'll get you sorted somehow.

Cheers,
Paul.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 2:17pm
Thank you Paul Seems like you put the finger right on the problem and I just completed a successful flight from Valley, via Ronaldsway, back to Valley and actually landed the aircraft for the first time. Immediately post lift off the climb was not nearly so dramatic and required aft pressure on the stick to maintain the climb rate and 0.85M, whereas previously it was gentle aft pressure. After climbing to 25000ft I throttled back to 6500rpm and although there was some pitch oscillation we were varying +2 to -2 not full scale deflections and eventually settling down to straight and level at around 300kts with 6000rpm. I reckon that all that is needed now is for me to hone my flying skills heads up.

Whilst I have your attention could you advise me on how to change the liveries and stores loads please. I'd like to fly the 111Sqn a/c as I served on Tremblers, albeit with the mighty frightening not the Billy. Also, why is it that when I load up the Hunter, on the runway, the engines are winding down? I thought it might be because the HP cock was closed so I cracked the throttle before I loaded up but it still does that. When the flight is over and I've taxi'd back to the dispersal is it possible to shut the engine down? I can't seem to get the throttle back through the gate to close the HP Cock.

Thanks again mate,

dave

Posted By: Delta558
Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 4:47pm
Okay, you're going to be stretching my memory here as it's been a while since I spent a decent amount of time in the HunterLOL

Stores load I believe to be via a loadout menu (shift 3?)
Liveries - make sure whichever sim version you are using that 'show all variations' or whatever the phrase is is ticked in the aircraft selection box.

The engine winding down, I'm not sure. It may be to do with whatever your default flight setup is, but Ctrl E will start it all up straight away anyway.

It should be fairly steady in pitch when trimmed - our Swiss AF Hunter pilot gave me quite a battering over that area of the fde! It would be worth you also reading through the following thread:
http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31751&KW=weather&title=hunter-instability-question
If you are using default weather, either turn off turbulence effect on aircraft or adjust the scale in the P3D / FSX .cfg file.

Cheers,
Paul.

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 7:42pm
Thanks again Paul, I've got a good base to work from now, just need to get the hours in. The change in settings, away from the default, has improved the manageability of the Mooney as well which I had found a bit of a handful on finals.

I had already read the thread that you kindly pointed me at, but I am still very much a 'fair weather' aviator, my weather is as benign as I can get it

Print Page | Close Window