Print Page | Close Window

X-Plane 11 Warrior II Suggestions

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Flight Products
Forum Name: PA-28R Arrow/Turbo Arrow III/IV and Warrior II
Forum Description: Discussion area for the PA-28 aircraft (PA-28 Arrow III, Turbo Arrow III/IV and Warrior II)
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=32083
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 9:09am

Topic: X-Plane 11 Warrior II Suggestions
Posted By: ChrisG
Subject: X-Plane 11 Warrior II Suggestions
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2018 at 6:14pm
Dear Just Flight Team

Firstly thank you for creating a  very detailed graphical representation of the PA28 161 and letting Thranda design convert this to the X-Plane platform. The virtual cockpit is extremely well modelled in 4k textures.

There are a number of issues which unfortunately detract from the realism (within the realms of a desk top simulator) and I'm wondering if any or all these could be addressed in a future patch release.

1) Many users are reporting the behaviour in the landing phase and ultimately in the flare where speed decays past 60 knots and the aircraft just drops from the sky. Now I understand there is a limitation from Laminar Research. However I do have products from VFlyteAir (The excellent Grumman Tiger) where this does not happen and you can really feel for a good landing right down to the stall speed. Other products such as the Reality Expansion pack also overcomes this issue. 
I was wondering if your could possibly re-look at the aircrafts physics in this phase of flight in order to get maximum realism in the this critical phase at the round out and hold off before touch down. Smooth landings presently are impossible to achieve.

2) Carb heat is not linked to the carburettor heat controls in X-Plane. It almost feels this is not a carburettor fed engine as you manually apply Carb Heat in the virtual cockpit there is no related drop in RPM to indicate warm air is flowing into the carburettor. I understand from the X-plane forum this control is presently linked to the Alternate Air, which backs my theory on a non-carburettor engine.

3) I know there are limitations within the X-Plane physics but going back to the VFlyteAir Grumman Tiger, the start of the engine is much more realistic. So for example in colder temperatures the engine takes that much longer to start up. Presently at the flick of the ignition start key the engine fires instantly. This is never the case in reality unless the engine is particularly hot. So was wondering if some form of start logic could be placed into the coding just to add some realism.
Linked with this, could the primer function have  direct correlation to starting. Could you code it so that the engine could flood on start with too much prime for example ?

4) Just very minor things I've noticed, if you assign a button to the avionics master switch in X-Plane and use that to power on/off the avionics the related switch in the virtual cockpit does not move.

Apart from Item 1 in the list the aircraft is nice to fly and I hope that some of the suggestions could be implemented by your team. I look forward to any future patch being released.

Best Regards
Chris

-------------
X-Plane 11 User

Replies:
Posted By: Tutmeister
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 6:19am
I'll second those! They would be great improvements.
Chris

Posted By: Martyn
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 2:55pm
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the detailed post. I've passed these suggestions/reports to the developers.

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 30 Jan 2018 at 3:28pm
Hi Martyn

Thank you for passing on my suggestions to the developers - I really hope they can find a way to solve the landing issues. The rest would be fantastic if implemented.
I noticed they designed and implemented the excellent weight and balance from within the menu system, so I know they are listening to the flight sim community.

I know for a lot of people the Warrior in real life is their first basic trainer in obtaining a private pilots licence. I was just hoping the development team could make this model an outstanding one so it could be used as a serious training device.

Best regards and hoping the Warrior goes from good to excellent.
Chris

-------------
X-Plane 11 User

Posted By: danklaue
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2018 at 11:14pm
We spent a fair amount of time researching the issue, assuming that the ball was in our court. Turns out, all the planes in X-Plane have a similar problem, as the poster of this thread has already noted:

1) Many users are reporting the behaviour in the landing phase and ultimately in the flare where speed decays past 60 knots and the aircraft just drops from the sky. Now I understand there is a limitation from Laminar Research. However I do have products from VFlyteAir (The excellent Grumman Tiger) where this does not happen and you can really feel for a good landing right down to the stall speed. Other products such as the Reality Expansion pack also overcomes this issue. 
I was wondering if your could possibly re-look at the aircrafts physics in this phase of flight in order to get maximum realism in the this critical phase at the round out and hold off before touch down. Smooth landings presently are impossible to achieve.

As I've already explained in some other threads, I don't know which version of X-Plane the Grumman Tiger or other 3rd party planes have been saved in... if the planes are older, their flight dynamics may have been "locked in" by a feature that Laminar promised to implement, in order to keep older planes from breaking with every new tweak to the physics engine. If the Arrow was saved in the latest version of PlaneMaker (which it was), then that would mean, we opt in to the new physics automatically, and can't really do much about it. 

These opt-in features are at this point not documented, so we have no idea what all changes when one saves a plane in the latest version of the sim... so it COULD be the case, that simply saving the Grumman Tiger as a v11.11 pane would ALSO break its landing behaviour... but maybe not. Maybe the layout of the wings in relation to the stabilizer remains less affected in the Grumman's layout than in that of the Warrior, despite their similarities.  

It's a very difficult issue to track down, and we've spent a considerable amount of time trying to quantify matters for Laminar, so that they could take decisive action on it.  They have acknowledged that it might need some looking into, but it won't happen before v11.30 of X-Plane. 

There are no plans on our end to try to compensate for an issue that is pretty clearly in Laminar's court (despite the fact that some panes may be less affected by it).

-------------
Bringing the highest quality planes from FSX/FSW/P3D to X-plane

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 12:56pm
Thank you for the information and very much looking forward to your future update to the Warrior II. 
Best regards
Chris

-------------
X-Plane 11 User

Print Page | Close Window