Forum Name: C-46 Commando
Forum Description: Discussion area for C-46 Commando
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31832
Printed Date: 28 Apr 2024 at 1:07pm

Topic: Taxi Steering
Posted By: gwhess
Subject: Taxi Steering
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 4:00am
I just installed the C-46 and am having difficulty taxiing.  The tailwheel does not steer, although the tailwheel lock is off.  I have a twist joystick and the plane does not turn when I twist the joystick.

Thank you,

Gary

Replies:
Posted By: thefrog
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:21pm
As far as I know from flying the aircraft and looking at the manual, you can't actually steer the tailwheel directly: it is free castoring. So you steer with toe brakes and differential throttle. Having said that, I'm not convinced that the tailwheel lock is very effective at unlocking the tailwheel! This is something that might be addressed in a future patch - you'd have to contact the developers to find out I suppose.

Posted By: garrittpwl
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:35pm
twist joystick and use differential brakes to turn

Posted By: gwhess
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 11:27pm
Ok, thanks.  Usually I only have to twist the joystick to get a taildragger to turn.  I'll try it with differential braking.

Gary

Posted By: Delta558
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 1:54am
Yes to all of the comments above! The tailwheel is not steerable. It IS lockable (via a lever at the rear right side of the centre console between the seats). If locked (lever up) you'll not really steer at all. If unlocked, a combination of rudder, differential throttle and differential brake should get you turning.

At a really basic level, if you want to turn right use left throttle and dab at the right brake (keyboard command if you don't have pedals). It's more effective to tap repeatedly than to keep the brake on - looking from the outside, you can see the tailwheel castoring and gradually moving to almost 90 degrees to the fuselage. Power alone will then maintain the turn, and opposite brake / power will need to be used similarly to straighten up.

Using that method, it is perfectly possible to turn comfortably within the width of a standard runway.
Cheers,
Paul.

Print Page | Close Window