Forum Name: C-46 Commando
Forum Description: Discussion area for C-46 Commando
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31775
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 4:10pm

Topic: C-46. No power
Posted By: fcmusician
Subject: C-46. No power
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 3:43pm
Got the latest update and the plane  seems under powered. Made some take off's at sea level and it seems to teeter on stalling and flying at each take off. no heavy load.  Normal takeoff. Once level it fly's fine. Love the plane.

Replies:
Posted By: ahuimanu
Date Posted: 09 Oct 2017 at 11:35pm
I'd echo this as well.  Can't get up to altitude.  The engine is not producing much heat.

Posted By: FlappySlats
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 12:40am
I've noticed this issue since the update as well, using default cargo and 70% fuel I can barely climb at takeoff power, using by the book climb power resulted in nose up barely above stall level flight, and straight and level at 3,500 feet I stalled using by the book cruise settings.

Included a capture of trying to climb:
http://i.imgur.com/c3cALxp.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://i.imgur.com/c3cALxp.jpg

FWIW I've flown classic props from A2A, Jan's DC3 and Cal Classics so I have the general idea of how they are flown.

Posted By: Martyn
Date Posted: 10 Oct 2017 at 9:04am
This issue is being investigated by the support team and developers. We'll have more news soon.

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Posted By: rodtod11
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 2:18pm
Add me to that list.  Best I can fly is tree top level barely above stall speed. It just wont fly.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 2:21pm
Is it possible to get the original version instead of the updated one?

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 3:10pm
For what its worth to you, I found the version 101 instaler on my PC. Loaded it, adn was able to fly. It has its own issues as you know,but it got off the ground. Version 103 just wont fly.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2017 at 12:09am
Thinking the same thing. 

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2017 at 2:51pm
I tried again to take this one up. I checked fule load. I noticed it had "External Tanks" and they were full! I placed those at 0, then reduced the other tanks to 50% adn it flew! I'm going to keep trying.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 2:11am
Originally posted by rodtod11 rodtod11 wrote:

I tried again to take this one up. I checked fule load. I noticed it had "External Tanks" and they were full! I placed those at 0, then reduced the other tanks to 50% adn it flew! I'm going to keep trying.

HA! nice find.Big smile

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 5:37am
And...spoke too soon. Yes, it takes off much better, but at 1000 it just wont climb anymore. Use the superchargers and the engine blows.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 3:08pm
One more thing, I have been trying the Pan Am version. It just wont fly. I moved to Buffalo and it does, not well, but it does. The difference is one uses the passenger model file, the other uses the cargo model file.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2017 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by rodtod11 rodtod11 wrote:

One more thing, I have been trying the Pan Am version. It just wont fly. I moved to Buffalo and it does, not well, but it does. The difference is one uses the passenger model file, the other uses the cargo model file.
hmmmm good info. I was flying around the pattern at the time. Still needs some more "juice" for sure though.

Posted By: robwin
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 6:50pm
I have not  flown the C46 since before the update. Just tried it, and sadly you can add me to the list. The aircraft is unusable. I cannot get the Buffalo version above 2500 ft.

Posted By: WarHorse47
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 8:47pm
I have to disagree with you guys.

After reading all the posts after the SP, I decided to take up Buffalo Airways for a flight.

I took off without a problem using flaps and super chargers. After gaining enough altitude, I slowly turned South towards my destination and continued to increase my altitude.

After reaching 4000 ft., I turned on the A/P and set my heading. I later increased my altitude to 5500. No problem with speed, altitude or power. After reaching my selected altitude I turned off the super chargers. Still no problem.

I did feel that the MP was higher than expected to achieve normal flight. While on A/P it gave me an opportunity to check a few things out. I couldn't find the pitot heat switch, and noted the reverse labels for the beacon and interior lights. Also, the HSI (in the modern cockpit) didn't function as expected so I had to rely on my compass for direction.

Overall, I had no flight issues with the C-46 and assume that JF is working on the other issues.

--WH

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 10:05pm
 The previous version had the c46 flying great. With this latest update I have no power. Never had to mess with super chargers.

Posted By: WarHorse47
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2017 at 10:27pm
My comments and observations are with the latest update.

Using the super chargers makes it a little more realistic IMHO.

I don't think it's properly explained in the manual. The default is with the blowers off. The next setting is LOW, and the upper setting is HIGH. I'm not sure how this works in the sim, but it appears to correlate with the water injection command. Anyways, with a full load it helps on takeoff and climbing.

--WH

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 2:50am
Superchargers on for take off? I tried that and blew the engines. I had smoke from both, lost a lot of power and slowly decended even with full throttle. What am I doing wrong???

Posted By: Hulmelad
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

This issue is being investigated by the support team and developers. We'll have more news soon.

Thanks
Martyn

Hi Martyn,

any update on this? I also have problems with speed-altitude-stall after the service pack, it's a shame to see such a classic stuck in the hangar Cry

Thank you in advance for any help Wink

Date Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 4:30pm
Our in-house FDE expert is currently looking into this. I'll let you know as soon as we have more info.

Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Posted By: Hulmelad
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2017 at 2:29pm
Thanks for the prompt reply Wink as a short term fix at my end I have rolled back to the original release so I can get some virtual air under the wings, looking forward to a fix.

Hulmelad

Posted By: ahuimanu
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2017 at 1:47pm
status?

Posted By: JayF11
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2017 at 5:51am
In addition to the lack of power In the service pack the tail wheel lock is also broken. The tail wheel stays locked even with lever set to "tail wheel lock off". It worked fine in the older version.

Posted By: Hangar200
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2017 at 11:23pm
I think SP1 is an issue of two steps forward and (at least) one step back.

Before SP1 the C-46 acted much like other powerful prop planes (including JF's DC-3) I have flown in FSX. 

With SP1 , I cannot seem to get more than barely a 500 fpm climb at full throttle - I can't get more than 100 KIAS on the ground, no matter how long the runway is.  Once in the air I might get 110 KIAS in level flight and again with the manifold at 55 in and max RPM.  

FYI - I tried several flights under various weather conditions - Normal conditions at sea level, Hot and High, freezing cold - all produced the same (non) results.  This is so different than the original (pre SP1) performance, I really think some error has crept back in.

That said, a nice touch is that when I try to engage the superchargers at low altitude to get more power, I quickly fry my engines…the smoke effects and power down are quite spectacular! Smile

On the SP1 page you list "
  • Radio issues - fixed"
True enough.  Before SP1 the Mil version radios were technically not tunable…actually they were if you had a Yoke/Throttle with enough buttons to assign NAV1 Use Whole Inc, NAV1 Use Whole Dec, , etc in FSUCIP.

The new radios are fine except, the last decimal is in an LED format…Light Emitting Diodes first appeared "as practical electronic components in 1962" (Wikipedia) - or almost 20 years after the Mil C-46 variants were flying about.   

Then there is the pilot's HSI in the civ/commercial variants.  Unless, HSI stands for Horizontal Situation Immovable, something is wrong.  It doesn't move.  Stuck about 340º.

I like this aircraft.  I think it has the potential for being one of the best JF has produced.  Just the roar of those twin Wasps is exciting - but until SP2, I'll e listening to them on the ground.Unhappy

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 8:41am
Hi chaps,

We will be releasing an updated FDE very soon, just carrying out some final testing.

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Posted By: Lewicide
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:24am
Great
I have been just hanging to buy this AC

As soon as the flight model is sorted

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 12:27pm
Great News Martyn!!! Very happy

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Posted By: finksther
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2017 at 10:11pm
That's good news. i hate to have that bird grounded.

Posted By: garrittpwl
Date Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 3:30am
*edit* Thanks to a poster above for reminding me to dig through my downloads folder. Found this... Woohoo! Wonder if I can put the new panel into the old airframe to get the removeable yoke and fixed radios.... outta SP1.... hmmmmm.

I joined this forum just to read this topic. I bought the Commando nearly the day it came out and have been flying the poo out of her on FSE. I took about a 3 week break and come back and can't keep the thing from stalling. Glad I'm not the only one flying like this....

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 2:47pm
I tried that with vers 102 and 103…but I was trying the 102 panels with the103 aircraft seeing if the HSI would magically fix itself…no joy and I still had the under power situation. Thus ended my foray into FSX aircraft meddling.   

That said, if running FSUIPC, and you have enough open buttons on your flight controllers, you can assign frequency changes to the 102 Mil radios.
I’m on my iPad now so don’t have the exact commands but it is something like: NAV1 Use Whole Inc, NAV1 Use Whole Dec, NAV1 Use Deci Inc, NAV1 Use Deci Dec…something like that.

The key is using the commands with “Use” since there is only an active, “in use” freq.

That takes 4 buttons, which is a lot. But a little rearranging on a CH Throttle Quad or the rudder and ailerons trim buttons on Saitek’s yoke, will do the trick.

Then use the ATC screen to change the com freq (I usually state, “hey copilot, change that freq for me please” for added realism    )

That is what I am doing until the fix comes in.

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 7:27pm
I'm just gonna fly 101 until then :/

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 2:28pm
Alas, I started with 102.

Actually, other than the sound cutting out when you hit Mesh, and the mil Radio thing, I didn't notice any problems with 102.

Personally, I thought the radio fix in 103 was a bit of overkill - the single COM and NAV were good for me.  I like "period models" to be true to their era.  So no Mode3 transponder interface in a WWII bird?  No problem for me.   They can always include the radio itself without the control interface, for those folks who want to fly IFR/VFR Flight following and let them "enter" the code in with the ATC menu…which I do sometimes anyway.  

I'll have to see what 104 (or whatever they call it) looks like - If I don't like it I may stick with 102 and my radio work around.

The fact that we are having this discussion should be good news for JF - if the plane wasn't so good in other resects, I would have already deleted it from my hard drive.  Smile

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 10:30am
Hi all,

We're still finalising the FDE update but you can download a work-in-progress version here if you'd like to get back in the air ASAP -  http://cdn.justflight.com/support/c46/C46_FDE.zip" rel="nofollow - http://cdn.justflight.com/support/c46/C46_FDE.zip

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Posted By: finksther
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 9:13pm
I'll give it a try

Posted By: KasperH
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2017 at 10:09pm
As an early buyer and poster of issues I want to say I am very pleased with the attention the product receives in order to fix the remaining issues.
I am back flying the original version with my own changes to the .cfg file after trying SP1, but I am sure to check out this new FDE.
Thanks for the updates.

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 1:31pm
Great news - Will gives it a go this weekend.

One more thing…Not sure if this a issue or a feature…

Flying a cold Alaska mission (ver 102) in the Alaska Red Tail military - I was playing with Carb Heat and turned it off when I shouldn't have.  The aircraft's carbs froze and got the power loss as I should, for dong such a foolish thing.

Sure enough the Carb temp gauges were at 0ºC

OK so Carb Heat to ON…nothing…the gauges mya have moved a bit or it may have been my (hopeful) imagination.

So emergency landing at a dirt strip…a bit of an overrun but stay out of the trees.

Did a complete restart - Carb Heat on and the gauges at maybe 5ºC…or a bit more.

Decided to RTB rather than continue the mission…especially since I got a bit lost looking for a place to set down.

My point…and I do have one…shouldn't trying the Carb Heat back on in flight reheat the Carbs enough to get power back on the aircraft?…eventually.  Or is the a feature…i.e. "Turn Carb on if OAT is 0ºC or less"  otherwise, the heaters cannot melt the ice accumulation."  Or stere a more specific procedure lie doing a restart or throttle to idle to get the ice melted.

Just the fact tat we are discussing such nuances shows what a great plane this is.

Cheers. :)

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Posted By: Canalguna
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 8:08pm
Thanks Martyn. Now it definitely flies, but please note that it won't turn unless alot of rudder is used (airborne). I was keeping about 30-40º bank with really minimum heading change.

Ignacio

Posted By: spooky
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:51pm
same here.

also on old version captains and first officer speed gauges differ.

Thanks for updates.

Richard.

Posted By: buckman
Date Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 10:36pm
Dito

Posted By: pnsthomas
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:08am
Same here, it won't turn.
On modern panel HSI, DME still not work, hope will be fixed on the upcoming update.

Posted By: thefrog
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:22pm
The HSI doesn't work like an HSI as far as I can make out. This is being corrected in a future patch I am told

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:19pm
Just flew the military cargo version with the air and cfg file Martyn provided.  Well Done on the flight model.

Yes, JF C-46 is a beast to fly, but I'm thinking that may be like the actual aircraft.  Of note I did not have any trouble making turns as was reported by others.

Basic stick and rudder techniques see to work just fine.  Start a roll into a turn, take a look at the Slip & Turn indicator "Step on the ball" with rudder to center the ball, and it turns just fine.  Does it take a lot of rudder?  Well yes…its a big plane with a lot of torque and momentum…and no hydraulics to help you move that big rudder.  Still I was no where near the rudder pedal stops.  Having to actually use the proper gauges to make a coordinated turn was fun for a change.  

Regarding the mil version autopilot - the elevator on the climb/descend - hold alt gauge, Up - Dn knob is labeled backwards - a simple cockpit texture fix? 

I assume that stuff like the radios with the LED will be fixed.  IMHO, the original (ver 102) one Comm, one NAV and one ADF were perfect for the military versions.  Modern Mode 3 Civilian IFF transponders did not come into being until the 1960's so incorporating it into a 1940's-1950's era aircraft model is unrealistic.  

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 9:59pm
I too feel like it doesnt turn when banking but will turn on a dime with rudder. This was in v101 with the updated files that Martyn posted here.... 

Check out my obvious bank out of the window, then take a look at that turn indicator lol

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 10:46pm
The ball is all the way left. Are you stepping on the left rudder? (You should be).

If you are giving it left rudder in that screen shot, then something is wrong.

(I guess I should have asked if you have rudder pedals first)
EDIT: 
OK, now I see what everybody is talking about.  This interim air file is a bit "wonky" when it comes to the rudder - yes, rudder input is required for coordinated turns bit this seems to be a too touchy.  After some practice you can manage to make low AOB coordinated turns so all is not lost.

Also, it is obvious that, at least on the mil versions, the autopilot is not "talking to the rudder"

AP on, Rudder control engaged, Elevator control engaged (and fairly level…did I mention that the UP and DN directions on the elevator/attitude adjustment knob are backwards) - then some wind or whatnot knocks you about a bit and the AP tries to correct - it banks but no rudder - the farther off course, the more you bank.  Same if you change heading wit theAP on and Rudder switch engaged - the plane will bank towards the correct direction, but you need to "step on the ball" until the aircraft reaches the new heading and the wings level out.

BTW, using a button command for Gear Up and another for Gear Down does not change the red gear lever in the cockpit.

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 2:03am
So…the JF C-46 just got a 90 and PC Pilot Classic Award in the latest PC Pilot.  What version did they test…it sure as heck wasn't 102 or 103!

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Posted By: Delta558
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 2:18am
As Martyn commented, the files in that link are WIP just to get you climbing without fear of stalling. To give you an idea of how things currently stand in regards to turning, the vid below is a fully-laden aircraft turning both left and right, initially with no rudder input at all (you can see that it does still turn) and then with a fairly balanced turn flying by the ball.

https://youtu.be/GiJclZqL584

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 3:08am
I couldn't get the video to load - regardless, understand a WIP.  Good to hear the tuning issue has been taken care of.

I think you would agree the SP1 ver 103 many of us downloaded is not a flyable model.  Yet, as near as I can tell (I just checked a few minutes ago) ver 103 is the version currently being sold.

…and PC Aviator just gave this aircraft a very favorable review which will likely prompt many folks to purchase this product…receiving ver 103…which is essentially un-flyable.  

From a business point of view, that may be inviting grave discontentment in the JF and Aeroplane Heaven brands, as I suspect many customers will not find their way to this Forum/Thread to see that a solution is being worked.  Just a thought.

For myself, I understand that this is an unfortunate situation, the likes of which I have never seen before, and that you all are dong your best to quickly remedy the situation.

In the mean time I'll have fun flying ver 102. :)

Cheers and Good Luck!

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Posted By: Paul K
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Delta558 Delta558 wrote:

As Martyn commented, the files in that link are WIP just to get you climbing without fear of stalling. To give you an idea of how things currently stand in regards to turning, the vid below is a fully-laden aircraft turning both left and right, initially with no rudder input at all (you can see that it does still turn) and then with a fairly balanced turn flying by the ball.

https://youtu.be/GiJclZqL584

Just watched the video, and the turning looks fine. Airspeed looks healthy too, though I can't see the engine instruments, so I don't know whether they are being thrashed in order to go that fast. Anyway, things look good. Great work so far, gentlemen - I'm optimistic that we'll get the C-46 we want. Smile

Posted By: Delta558
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:02pm
Just over half throttle, Paul Wink

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Delta558 Delta558 wrote:

Just over half throttle, Paul Wink

In that case, perfect ! Big smile

Posted By: Chock
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Hangar200 Hangar200 wrote:

So…the JF C-46 just got a 90 and PC Pilot Classic Award in the latest PC Pilot.  What version did they test…it sure as heck wasn't 102 or 103!

Yup, this thing's been available for almost three months now, and has gone from being flyable, albeit with some glitches, to a completely unflyable mess. And when I say unflyable, I mean that literally, it got up to a maximum speed of about 54 knots after having rolled down the entire length of the two mile long runway at EGCC, and it wouldn't even lift the tail up at that speed, let alone get into the air. I know the real C-46 had some problems, but actually being able to take off was not among those problems. Exploding into flames once airborne yes, but it could at least fly, whereas frankly, if this simulated one blew up on the runway, it would be a blessing, because at least I wouldn't be wasting my time trying to get it airborne. I've never actually asked Just Flight for a refund on anything, and I've been buying stuff off them for years, but I'm actually considering doing so with this thing if they don't sort it out soon.

The idea that a product such as that is deserving of any kind of award, let alone being referred to as a 'Classic' is laughable and does nothing for the credibility of PC Pilot and it certainly does nothing for the credibility of Just Flight. 

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:06pm
For the guys saying that Martyn's update cfg files turn. lmfao. Turn your autopilot on and try the slightest heading change. It will bank the plane HARD but have minimal turning. 

For the guys that want the updated cockpit of 103 but flyable WITH banked turning and updated weight loading points, I'll share my modified version of the CFG. 

I've modified the 101 cfg file with bits from Martyn's 103 cfg to make this thing enjoyable for me.

Download and install the 103 plane and update it with this CFG if you want. idc either way. 

-snip- in lew of know it alls on this forum I've removed the link. PM me if you want to actually enjoy a plane you paid for.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by garrittpwl garrittpwl wrote:

FTurn your autopilot on and try the slightest heading change. It will bank the plane HARD but have minimal turning. 

Yep - because the rudder is not hooked into the AP as it should be.  And the more off course, the more the plane will bank.  

Still on 102 until they get this mess fixed…and may stay there is the radio change they made to the mil versions stays.

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Chock Chock wrote:

The idea that a product such as that is deserving of any kind of award, let alone being referred to as a 'Classic' is laughable and does nothing for the credibility of PC Pilot and it certainly does nothing for the credibility of Just Flight. 

They obviously reviewed an earlier version which IMHO is a pretty good airplane (I like 102)…not sure of the Classic Award…maybe it is something that they do for vintage aircraft.

Regardless, I've read the review and it is OK - he obviously missed the mil version Radio bug but other than that…OK

The issue is that ver 103 is the version on the market (as of about 5 seconds ago).  So somebody who just read the review and decided to get the C-46 based on it, is in for a rather rude and disappointing surprise.  That cannot be good for business - for JF or PC Pilot.

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2017 at 8:23am
As explained above by both myself and Paul, an FDE update is coming soon. I'll post again here when it is available.

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 13 Nov 2017 at 4:42pm
UPDATE: We are currently addressing one final issue and then the updated FDE will be available.

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 3:40pm
Is not a real update, nothing has change. It won't turn unless alot of rudder is used . Still unflyable

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by pnsthomas pnsthomas wrote:

Is not a real update, nothing has change. It won't turn unless alot of rudder is used . Still unflyable

I've installed the FDE update, and it turns normally without any rudder input at all. Something wrong with your set-up,  possibly ?

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:48pm
Dito Tried it and back to 101! Thank god for 101, this version fly's great IMOP.
Cheers
Buckman

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 4:50pm
I noted with interest the 11 Nov 17 JF newsletter highlighting the C-46…an aircraft that, as was mentioned above, unflyable.

In the U.S that likely constitutes false advertising (The Federal Trade Commission has an http://" rel="nofollow - on line consumer compliant form . JF is based in the UK where the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 may apply.

The above info completely factual, I am well within forum decorum guidelines and I am merely providing information, not advocating any course of action.

I see no reason to remove this post but know full well that may happen. :)

Cheers!

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 5:02pm
strange same here no difference

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:04pm
If you are seeing no difference then please wait until the proper installer is available, as the differences should be very noticeable in terms of performance e.g. climb and turn, as noted by Paul K above.

I will update this thread when that is available.

Thanks
Martyn 

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 8:20pm

I noted with interest the 11 Nov 17 JF newsletter highlighting the C-46…an aircraft that, as was mentioned above, unflyable.

In the U.S that likely constitutes false advertising (The Federal Trade Commission has an http://" rel="nofollow - on line consumer compliant form . JF is based in the UK where the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 may apply.

The above info completely factual, I am well within forum decorum guidelines and I am merely providing information, not advocating any course of action.

I see no reason to remove this post but know full well that may happen. :)

Cheers!

Hi William,

We are in breach of neither, the aircraft is not unflyable, an updated FDE will be available via a proper installer shortly and you can download v101 from your Just Flight account. That said you or anyone else are of course entitled to contact either organisation if you wish, and I'm sure that other forum users appreciate the info. As you can see from the thousands of other forum threads, we are very happy to engage in constructive discussions about both the positive and negative aspects of our many products so long as everyone abides by forum rules and, I hope, have a continued reputation for working with our customers to resolve issues where they arise, albeit sometimes within the constraints of third-party developer involvement.

I've instructed our customer service team to issue you with a refund for the product to avoid any further frustration and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. You are welcome to continue using the product. If anyone else would like a refund or exchange then either send me a PM or alternatively contact the support team via the website and they'll be happy to help.

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2017 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Paul K Paul K wrote:

I've installed the FDE update, and it turns normally without any rudder input at all. Something wrong with your set-up,  possibly ?
j

Hi paul,

Just curious which version 101 or103 and which aircraft thanks.

Richard.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 4:20am
Originally posted by spooky spooky wrote:

j

Hi paul,

Richard.

I too tried the most recent one with the 103 and proved no avail :(. Best functioning one I've got so far with 103 plane is a mixture of the 101 and 103 cfg's.

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 10:33am
Apologies - a link was provided to an outdated version of the FDE.

Please use this link if you'd like to get back into the air before the full update (including Flight1 integration) is made available -  http://cdn.justflight.com/support/c46/C46@151117.zip" rel="nofollow - http://cdn.justflight.com/support/c46/C46@151117.zip

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:10am
Martyn, 
No refund required nor desired.  I'm perfectly happy flying v 102 and feel that I have more than gotten my money's worth.

If V101 is the current download version then my bad - that said, every time have checked my download link it has downloaded v103 - just say'n.

Please understand that my concern, and as you mentioned, some frustration, is not with the developers (although I cannot understand why they changed the mil version's radios so drastically) but rather I was seeing advertising that seemed oblivious of the current state of the C-46 flight model.  The perspective from outside your company, it appeared that the marketing was unaware of the current, serious development issues.

I don't know how big JF is (although I lived in Huntingdon, CAMBS for 3 years…I must have passed by a few times) but having retired from a relatively large organization (the US Navy), I know that sometimes the one hand knows not what the other is doing.  That was my sole thought.

I stand corrected.

If the download version is close to the one reviewed by PC Pilot, then of course JF is well justified to use the PC Pilot award in advertising.

As I said in one of my first posts, this C-46 has the potential of being one of the best models JF has released.  I still think that is so.  

R/ Hangar 200  

P.S. If it is too late to cancel the refund you mentioned, and you have no objections, I will donate it to AVSIM.

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by spooky spooky wrote:

j

Hi paul,

Richard.

Hi Richard,

I have 103 installed, with mod 101117. I was sent this mod to test, and so if there was an error in the links posted here in the forum by Martyn, then it didn't affect me.

I see the latest link refers to mod 151117,  so my mod ( 101117 ) is either now outdated, or comes with additional features not connected to the FDE. Anyway, I've had very good results with it - the aircraft takes off as expected, using an appropriate length of runway to do so, climbs nicely, and cruises with the throttles and props wound back.

Can't say how accurate the performance is compared to the real aircraft, but it certainly feels right for an aircraft of that size and vintage, and overall is now eminently usable. Smile

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:29pm
Further to the above, for clarification -  the other problems, such as the HSI / NAV 1/ NAV2 problems in the modern VC are still there. The mod I have purely addresses the FDE. 

Regards
Paul K

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 7:43pm
Thanks Paul trying new file now.

Richard

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:00pm
Version 103 / 151117 C-46 Buffalo with new cockpit panel works great, I did a 2 hour flight test no load and handled like a winner. Next will load 10000lbs cargo via AH2 and, and aah well we will see.
Good job Martyn
Cheers
Buckman

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 8:11pm
Umm…ver 103 with mod 151117…hopefully a ver 104 or SP2 will be the final release - too many numbers - brain hurts.

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2017 at 11:05pm
So the aircraft has no problem in power ( getting 10000lbs off the ground ) and banking turns the aircraft is much better, however me thinks she needs a little more work.
No problem here, I have hauled tons of cargo via AH2 on version 101 and will continue, with that said
back to 101Big smile
Buckman

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:31am

Umm…ver 103 with mod 151117…hopefully a ver 104 or SP2 will be the final release - too many numbers - brain hurts.

As mentioned above, a full update will be made available so version numbers and mods can be safely ignored.

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 8:34am
Originally posted by buckman buckman wrote:

So the aircraft has no problem in power ( getting 10000lbs off the ground ) and banking turns the aircraft is much better, however me thinks she needs a little more work.
No problem here, I have hauled tons of cargo via AH2 on version 101 and will continue, with that said
back to 101Big smile
Buckman

If you have any feedback on the latest FDE then please make sure to send that to our support team so we can investigate.

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 12:55pm

As mentioned above, a full update will be made available so version numbers and mods can be safely ignored.
Thanks
Martyn

Copy…I'll wait until then.

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 16 Nov 2017 at 4:10pm
How do I find out which version number I've got?

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:01am
Originally posted by thefrog thefrog wrote:

How do I find out which version number I've got?

Have a look at your download, and it will tell you. Mine is named 'Install_C46_103.exe' so it is version 103.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 11:07am
Mine just says "Install_C46_TP.exe" for some reason. I got it from PC Aviator Aus.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 11:22am
Originally posted by thefrog thefrog wrote:

Mine just says "Install_C46_TP.exe" for some reason. I got it from PC Aviator Aus.

Ah, well you'll have to get back to them and see when they'll have the latest version available.

Speaking of which...the latest version is now 104, a completely new download with the revised FDE and various other fixes, as announced by Martyn here:

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31859&title=c46-commando-sp2" rel="nofollow - http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31859&title=c46-commando-sp2

I'm just trying it out the modern VC version now, and so far it's looking good. HSI works, as do NAVs 1 and 2 -  it captures a VOR radial with aplomb. A.P. altitude hold works too. You dont seem to need the RPM control much, but that's fine, no probs there. I'm zipping along at about 173 mph, at 4000ft, and all is well.

First impressions are favourable ! Smile

Posted By: rosariomanzo
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 1:07pm
Same here. I did a quick flight and the aircraft "feels" heavy to maneuver as I may imagine, great behaviour, nice sounds and graphics and great fps. Enjoying it!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 2:03pm
Glad you are enjoying the new version Thumbs Up

You should also be able to see a version number if you open the aircraft.cfg file (at the very top).

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2017 at 2:27pm
Many problems have been solved with  SP2. I think that there is a small problem will low RPM ( i fly the modern panel plane ), even with full prop levers especially during climb and descent and need more throttle than normal. During cruise you can keep the right settings. Plane is flyable and very close to be perfect.

Posted By: Chock
Date Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 3:31am
The patched version flies well for the most part, however, given the C-46 was pretty infamous for having an undersized rudder (not surprising actually; compare its rudder size ratio to the static fin size to that ratio on the DC-3), which made it difficult in a crosswind amongst other things, I decided to tweak the aircraft config file to make the rudder one third as effective as it is in the patch by default. Actually I did the same thing on the Aeroplane Heaven/Just Flight B17F too, since that is an another aircraft fairly notorious for having rubbish rudder authority (I lessened the effectiveness of the 17's ailerons too, since they were cack on the Fortress as well). 

I'd recommend doing that rudder tweak to other users; you'll find it makes the C-46 handle a bit more like one would expect the real thing to. Pretty easy to do, just open up the aircraft config file and change the rudder value from 1.00, down to 0.30.

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 11:02am
Sorry to hi-jack this topic. I can't find on the manual if there's a way to hide the control column. Any help please?

-------------

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by rosariomanzo rosariomanzo wrote:

Sorry to hi-jack this topic. I can't find on the manual if there's a way to hide the control column. Any help please?

Click on that item to the pilot's left, where the yellow arrow is pointing Wink

Date Posted: 19 Nov 2017 at 7:31pm
Martyn
I got my copy from PC Aviator Aus and the download file was named: Install_C46_TP.zip. At the top of the aircraft.cfg file it says: //SP @ 260917 which doesn't seem to be a version number.

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 4:31am

I've instructed our customer service team to issue you with a refund for the product to avoid any further frustration and we apologise for any inconvenience caused

I know I said don't bother, but now that I see SP2/V104…if the offer is still open, I'd like to take you up on it.  The only place this C-46 model will be flying is off my hard-drive…in fact, it just did.

Ver 102 may have had its issues, but the old military versions were at least an attempt to model a WWII era aircraft  I will concede that the VOR system was not invented until the 1950's so a VOR didn't belong in a 1940's cockpit…but some of the mil models were post WWII…and at least it looked like it belonged to that era.

Fact:  The LED was not invented until the 1960s, or about 20 yeas after the C-46 was introduced.  The SP2/Ver 104 "radio fix" for the mil C-46–WWII and right after–has LED radio displays that look like they are from the late 1970s.  I'm not a "rivet counter" when it comes to FSX aircraft.  I understand that the word "simulation" is there for a reason, but this is beyond the pale. Thumbs Down

It's not a Just Flight issue since the  JF DC-3, DC-8 10-40 series, DH-104 Devon/Dove and HS 748 all have better "period" radios…as did the this C-46 until ver 103.   

I guarantee the brave aviators taking their C-46's over "the Hump" in WWII were not looking at LEDs…just say'n. 

-------------
R/ Hangar 200

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 8:48am

Click on that item to the pilot's left, where the yellow arrow is pointing Wink

Thank you very much Paul! Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Nov 2017 at 11:30am

I've instructed our customer service team to issue you with a refund for the product to avoid any further frustration and we apologise for any inconvenience caused

I know I said don't bother, but now that I see SP2/V104…if the offer is still open, I'd like to take you up on it.

Please contact the support team and they'll be happy to arrange a refund/exchange -  http://www.justflight.com/support-contact" rel="nofollow - http://www.justflight.com/support-contact

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 7:56am
Much as I am enjoying the C-46 since SP2 and the new FDE, I have to agree with Hangar200 - the radios in the WW2 cockpit are a bit of a faux pas, aren't they ? Is there any chance of Aeroplane Heaven addressing this ?

Posted By: Lewicide
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 9:55am
G'day

Just bought it from pc aviator, when do you think the new fde version
will be available to distributors ?

Cheers

Posted By: Voice of Reason
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Lewicide Lewicide wrote:

G'day

Just bought it from pc aviator, when do you think the new fde version
will be available to distributors ?

Cheers

Should be sent to them today then it'll be down to them getting it added. But we have done our bit.

Hope this helps.

Print Page | Close Window