Forum Description: Discussion area for One-Eleven 300/400/500
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31016
Printed Date: 18 Apr 2024 at 6:21pm

Topic: Autopilot not working for me
Posted By: joefremont
Subject: Autopilot not working for me
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 4:51am
Hi JF,
I just got your 1-11 and started my first flight but it did not go well, mainly cause I could not get the autopilot working.  Mainly cause under autopilot I could not get it to turn.  I set the heading, master dial was in heading mode but it still went straight.  What am I doing wrong?

Replies:
Posted By: AlexDahl
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 3:03pm
Hi! i had the same problem, but it turned out i had not set this dial correctly:

hope this helps

Posted By: BobKay
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 3:34pm
How does one set that dial, though?  I can't figure out how to get it off the "off" position.

Posted By: AlexDahl
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 4:25pm
Left/right mouse click

Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 3:44am
I tried it and it sort of worked, I put it into HDG mode and then after takeoff put the autopilot into heading mode and it responded.  But then I wanted wanted to navigate and I flipped the NAV/GPS switch into GPS mode and turned the autopilot to NAV/LOC mode and nothing, put the little switch into N/L mode and the aircraft turned to due north, not the somewhat southwest direction toward the airport the GPS was tracking.  Then eventually I started playing with the switch to see if I could figure it out but once I turned it to OFF, it would not leave that position until I turned the autopilot off, and since its so small and I had to zoom way in to set it I was then in a very dangerous position as we drifted wildly off course.  JF please fix this so it behaves in a more normal manner, maybe an option to deactivate that little switch and just use the main autopilot mode switch.

Posted By: TimSim
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2016 at 7:21am
I have the same issue. In order to change the autopilot mode it is necessary to change the flight director mode at the attitude indicator. The problem is, once the autopilot is on it overrules the flight director so you cannot change the switch. The only way to get around this is to switch off the autopilot, change the flight director mode, and turn the autopilot back on. Once you do this, the VSI resets to zero so if you are in altitude hold the plane levels off! I have also found that once the VSI is set you cannot change it to increase or reduce the climb without, again, switching the autopilot off and back on again. I need to do some more testing but this doesn't feel right?

I would submit a support ticket but the plane is not in the drop down list yet.

Posted By: manderson
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:19am
Very reassuring that others are having this same problem; it has been driving me crazy for several days!
I then reverted to David Maltby's ported FS2002 classic and everything worked fine, the autopilot is much easier to read and responds very well to VS inputs. The very early VC is clearer and even includes an altitude selector with warning beep as I am certain the 111 had. As somebody already pointed out the 111-500 used the very different Smiths electronics grafted from the Trident, not just adding an autoland button to the earlier models electronics so has no similarity to 200-400's and even required a separate type rating. I am beginning to wonder why I paid out this money when I already had a superb freeware at hand. I will not bother to obtain the HS748.

Posted By: Martyn
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 9:25am
Please submit a support ticket via the One-Eleven support page so that the developer can look into this -  http://www.justflight.com/support/one-eleven" rel="nofollow - http://www.justflight.com/support/one-eleven

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Posted By: mante.rm
Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 10:33am
I have the same problem with autopilot does not follow the GPS in the tutorial there is no reference to how to use the GPS    I am disappointed by this product hopefully soon you can get a tutorial

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by mante.rm mante.rm wrote:

I have the same problem with autopilot does not follow the GPS in the tutorial there is no reference to how to use the GPS    I am disappointed by this product hopefully soon you can get a tutorial

I wrote the tutorial flight for this product and flew it several times using the software, so it should definitely work. Please submit a support ticket if it's not working for you.

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 1:48pm
the tutorial in the manual is insufficient and does not specify how to use GPS but only VOR and NDB

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 3:08pm
The aircraft is designed to be navigated using VORs and NDBs rather than a modern GPS and that is why the tutorial focuses on those navigation methods. 

The quickest method for coupling the autopilot to the GPS is to move the NAV/GPS switch (located above the altimeter) to the GPS position, engage the autopilot and then press Ctrl + N to engage navigation hold mode. If you have contacted the support team then they should be able to provide you with more assistance if required.

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

The aircraft is designed to be navigated using VORs and NDBs rather than a modern GPS and that is why the tutorial focuses on those navigation methods. 

The quickest method for coupling the autopilot to the GPS is to move the NAV/GPS switch (located above the altimeter) to the GPS position, engage the autopilot and then press Ctrl + N to engage navigation hold mode. If you have contacted the support team then they should be able to provide you with more assistance if required.
With all due respect, the model has a GPS/Nav switch on the main panel.  If its installed it should work.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:19pm
I too want to fly the 1-11 the old school way, not using the GPS, but the autopilot logic simply does not make sense. Since you mentined the tutorial Martyn, let me give you an example. On page 49 of the tutorial, you wrote re tuning into the Detling VOR "As the HSI deviation needle approaches the centre position, rotate the autopilot function knob to the LOC/VOR position and rotate the flight director mode knob on the attitude indicator to the V/L position". What actually happens is that after setting the autopilot function knob to the LOC?VOR position, the flight director knob cannot be moved, unless you disengage the autopilot. At this point we are climbing towards 10,000 feet on VSI and disengaging the autopilot resets the VSI to Zero. So now I have to dial in the VSI rate of climb while manually trying to stay on course in order to smoothly intercept the Detling radial! If I then want to engage heading hold as I approach the VOR I then have to carry out the whole procedure again.
I will of course submit a support ticket but reading other posts leads me to conclude that I am not alone in experiencing this anomaly. Glad you had a nice uneventful tutorial flight though Martyn ;)

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:27pm
What is writtenis unacceptable giustification then wonder why you put the GPS position This time i JF to disappointer

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 7:58pm
From all that is being written it is clear there is a problem here and I am certain our friends at Just Flight will quickly resolve without being swamped by too many support tickets. GPS navigation is not the only problem, it will not track VOR's or ILS.
I also need to clarify my earlier comments on the 500 cockpit. It seems the Trident style cockpit was only used on BEA's 510ED model and that later ones did indeed use a conventional 111 version.

Date Posted: 03 Oct 2016 at 9:42pm
Just an update. Starting on the runway with the engines running I did manage to switch from heading to Nav mode on the autopilot and change the flight director setting without having to disengage and re-engage the autopilot. Still unable to change VSI without disengaging altitude hold first. Furthermore when I got close to Schipol the same problem re-occured ie not being able to change the FD from heading mode to NAV mode after changing the autopilot setting. Also not sure if the ILS tracking is quite right but will have to shoot a few more approaches to check.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 7:06am
Originally posted by mante.rm mante.rm wrote:

What is writtenis unacceptable giustification then wonder why you put the GPS position This time i JF to disappointer

My reply was not an unacceptable justification but an explanation of my choices in writing the tutorial. I'm sorry that you disagree with the choices that I made. If you'd like to use the GPS, simply follow my instructions above.

This isn't a support forum so I'll leave you in the capable hands of our support team who will get back to you all ASAP.

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:09am
I hope my posts are taken as intended, i.e. constructive criticism and not as a negative rant! I actually like the plane and am sure that once the autopilot issues are resolved it will become a regular hack in my virtual fleet. I understand that the purpose of this forum is to compare notes and share tips, experiences etc with other users. I will submit a ticket and eagerly await the patch.

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 8:25am
Thanks Tim. We do appreciate feedback and any issues will definitely be resolved by the developers. We try to offer as much assistance as possible here but these things are more effectively handled via the support team who can devote more time/resources to investigating. The developers are already looking into these reports and any more feedback regarding the autopilot will help with that.

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 04 Oct 2016 at 9:20am
Ok   Martyn the function Ctrl+N works maybe it is good to put in some instructions of the manual thank you

Date Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 1:05am
I just tested this again with the 1.01 release and all the described issues are still issues.  Submitting a ticket on the support form.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 3:00am
Yes I also have quickly tried 1.01. My first impressions are that Heading and VOR tracking seem a little better but it still does not even recognize an ILS and the flight director knob just will not switch to GS even using Ctrl A.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 6:29am
To be fair, I believe the recent patch was to fix the VC views and not the autopilot . I am told a patch is forthcoming to fix the autopilot issues.

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 4:13pm
We are currently working on an update for the autopilot and flight director.

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 8:40pm
Thanks for the clarification. Actually I could not find any information on what was included in the first patch but am comfortable that Just Flight will eventually be able to resolve.

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 12:06pm
Has there been any progress on the autopilot/FD update?

Posted By: Paul Golding
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2016 at 3:06pm
Yes. The AP/FD in the 748 is very similar and suffered from the same issues so has effectively been a testbed during beta testing for the replacement in the 1-11. The good news being that it's working well so I don't suppose it'll be too long before the 1-11 get it's new AP.

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2016 at 11:35am
That's good to hear.  My one-eleven has been sitting in the hangar since that first aborted tutorial flight.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 11:10am
Same here. I polish the dust off it occasionally but its a hanger queen for now!

Posted By: donnybalonny
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2016 at 8:15pm
Are we waiting for Godot ?

I havent bought it yet but I´m waiting. I decided to wait (I have my reasons) and see and I´m glad I did so.
IMHO, one of the most important things in a sim like the 1-11 is the autopilot. Flying VOR/NDB with a Sperry autopilot in a jet is really fun and its what makes a sim like this different. So if the autopilot doesnt work the way it should and after having read this thread it seems to me like its very far from doing so, its a no buy for me which is sad and i dont get why its being released in such a poor shape.

Posted By: Jetboy
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by donnybalonny donnybalonny wrote:

Are we waiting for Godot ?

I havent bought it yet but I´m waiting. I decided to wait (I have my reasons) and see and I´m glad I did so.
IMHO, one of the most important things in a sim like the 1-11 is the autopilot. Flying VOR/NDB with a Sperry autopilot in a jet is really fun and its what makes a sim like this different. So if the autopilot doesnt work the way it should and after having read this thread it seems to me like its very far from doing so, its a no buy for me which is sad and i dont get why its being released in such a poor shape.

I agree 100% with you! 

Good and realistic representations of the Sperry A/P have been available in other payware and even freeware planes for a while. There's no excuse for this plane being released with such a major flaw. In the meantime I suggest everybody who's having issues with the autopilot, to use David Maltby's 1-11 Autopilot. It's working perfectly. 

-------------

Saludos / Best Regards
Pablo Gonzalez
ATPL - LJ-35 / FK-10 / A320 /A330 Type Rated

Posted By: donnybalonny
Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 7:09am
Originally posted by Jetboy Jetboy wrote:

In the meantime I suggest everybody who's having issues with the autopilot, to use David Maltby's 1-11 Autopilot. It's working perfectly. 

How do you make the autopilot from another aircraft work in the JF BAE 1-11?

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2016 at 10:03am
We have recoded the autopilot and flight director and are currently looking at other issues that have been identified. If the other issues will take a while to address then we'll look to release the new autopilot as an interim update.

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Posted By: flugkapitan911
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2016 at 5:59pm
Martyn,

Thank you for the updated info.

Cheers,
Scott

-------------
"Now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Posted By: Eddyectoplasm
Date Posted: 07 Jan 2017 at 11:39pm
You should have read the rude, unpleasant, reply that I received from Just Flight Support having politely enquired about the autopilot issue!! Having spent a small fortune with them too. As you point out, this AP is mainly a JF creation and not authentic. The later models of the 1-11 were pretty recent aircraft, relatively speaking, and fitted with appropriate avionics.

Posted By: Voice of Reason
Date Posted: 08 Jan 2017 at 8:45pm
As Martyn mentions above there will be a new autopilot issued soon either separately or as part of a bigger update.

Regarding the reply from our support team that you mention, that doesn't sound like our support team to me, they're not known for being unpleasant and rude in fact quite the opposite, I'd like to take a look at the email if I may.  Could you send me the transcript by email to scott@justflight.com please?

Thank you

Posted By: drmagnumwolf
Date Posted: 09 Jan 2017 at 1:12am
Originally posted by Voice of Reason Voice of Reason wrote:

As Martyn mentions above there will be a new autopilot issued soon either separately or as part of a bigger update.

Regarding the reply from our support team that you mention, that doesn't sound like our support team to me, they're not known for being unpleasant and rude in fact quite the opposite, I'd like to take a look at the email if I may.  Could you send me the transcript by email to scott@justflight.com please?

Thank you

I found it weird too.Confused One of the reasons(one of many, in fact) I keep returning and buying stuff from Just Flight is due to the excellent costumer service. 

Posted By: Gazguzzler
Date Posted: 11 Jan 2017 at 5:05pm
Dear All,

If either the Master Autopilot Switch (#61) or the Autopilot Function Knob (#62) are set to anything but the 'off' position then I cannot set the mode switch on the Flight Director either (it just wont turn). 
Setting the FD mode switch to Hdg BEFORE turning on switch/dial #61 & #62 allows the a/p to work normally, for me at least..... Smile

Regards
Gary

-------------
Gary

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:08pm
I see my last comment in the forum was in early October, at which time it was acknowledged there was a problem. It is now nearly four months on and I do not see a correction yet. This is a long time to wait despite the product being still offered; presumably with the same deficiencies.

Posted By: Mooboog
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by manderson manderson wrote:

I see my last comment in the forum was in early October, at which time it was acknowledged there was a problem. It is now nearly four months on and I do not see a correction yet. This is a long time to wait despite the product being still offered; presumably with the same deficiencies.

It's concerning when bugs like this make it in to the original release. I would've thought something like this would be noticed during beta testing of the product.

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by manderson manderson wrote:

No correction as yet you're right but we have tried to update you in this forum. I can guarantee it's not forgotten and the update will be forthcoming. 

Our apologies for the delay.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 11:47am
It is indeed concerning when bugs like this make it into the final release, but it does happen and will continue to happen from time to time.  What's of vastly more concern is the fact that four months after the release date, there has been no fix for it while work continues on other products.

I can assure you that the longer it takes for this fix to actually be released, the longer it will be after release of JF's next product before I consider buying it.

Date Posted: 17 Jan 2017 at 5:03pm
With regret I have to say I feel the same way. There will always be bugs but effectively the autopilot bug in my opinion makes the aircraft unusable in normal operations. Thus 4 months after purchase I am unable to use a product I paid for. Good luck with the fix I am sure it is not easy but this is the very last time I will buy a Just Flight product on release day.

Posted By: captain132
Date Posted: 30 Jan 2017 at 10:52pm
It's pathetic customer service.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 5:05pm
Its now been over five months since I initially posted my problem with the autopilot, and still no fix for it.  Any word on how much longer we must wait?

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 7:08pm
I have been patiently waiting for fixes for the DC8 series, Bac 1-11 and the HS748. JF is great about making promises, but horrible on delivering them. 

Personally I will not buy another JF offering until the aforementioned are addressed. 

If all the users of this forum would take the same stance, perhaps JF would step up their game.

Just my .02.

Scott

-------------
"Now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 7:10pm
Forum was stuck - ended up with a double post.

-------------

Posted By: Paul Golding
Date Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 8:38pm
A couple of things Scott. All of those products are published by, not developed by, Just Flight. So things like service packs involve work by external developers and because of that, could take longer.

On the plus side, I can say that beta testing of the DC-8 and 748 sp's is being done at the moment and once complete (in the case of the 748) will enable the 1-11 to be finished too. And yes, the 748 autopilot has been changed and works like it should and therefore so too will the 1-11.

Date Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:03pm
Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I am aware that those products mentioned were not developed by JF, that is why I said offered instead of produced. However, it still stands that JF released products that had some obvious major flaws.

It is indeed good news that DC-8 and 748 beta testing is progressing.

Regards,
Scott

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 9:19am
Originally posted by flugkapitan911 flugkapitan911 wrote:

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, I am aware that those products mentioned were not developed by JF, that is why I said offered instead of produced. However, it still stands that JF released products that had some obvious major flaws.

It is indeed good news that DC-8 and 748 beta testing is progressing.

Regards,
Scott

As mentioned by Paul we're now mush further down the road with getting these SP's ready, tested and released to the public.  They have been slightly out of our control for a few reasons but as publishers of the products we accept responsibility for them, no excuses.

None are forgotten and we aim to be able to supply all as quickly as we can.  No guarantees about timescales of course but they are actively being worked on now, of that we can assure you.

Thanks for your patience and once again apologies for keeping you all waiting.

Posted By: PaulC
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2017 at 1:55am
Hello All,

There is a way around it (I shouldn't be having to find this out and tell you all as I paid for a finished product but hey ho).
Click the autopilot on then select the Alt Hold switch on.

What you need to have done is assign a VSI bug key/button and then the Increase Selection and Decrease Selection in the control menu. Once you have the AP engaged, select VSI bug then use the increase/decrease control to alter the rate of climb/descent. No need to keep clicking the ALT HOLD on and off which I agree- is stupid.

Come on Just Flight- sort yourselves out.

Paul

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by PaulC PaulC wrote:

Hello All,

There is a way around it (I shouldn't be having to find this out and tell you all as I paid for a finished product but hey ho).
Click the autopilot on then select the Alt Hold switch on.

What you need to have done is assign a VSI bug key/button and then the Increase Selection and Decrease Selection in the control menu. Once you have the AP engaged, select VSI bug then use the increase/decrease control to alter the rate of climb/descent. No need to keep clicking the ALT HOLD on and off which I agree- is stupid.

Come on Just Flight- sort yourselves out.

Paul

This is a work around for the climbing and descending side of things, but VOR/ILS coupling is still non-existent. I just tried another flight and had to quit halfway through because of systems not working making me frustrated.

We've now gone six months since release, and the aircraft is still fundamentally un-flyable. I didn't buy this aircraft as a beta, I purchased a finished product. How much longer should we be expected to wait?

Date Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 2:45pm
Accidentally posted twice.

Posted By: Debowing
Date Posted: 04 Jun 2017 at 5:18am
I too, had trouble engaging the autopilot, but I discovered that there is a small dial just right and below of the attitude indicator, which should be rotated to the desired mode.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2017 at 6:40am
I purchased the BAC 1-11 on 03 JUN 2017. I was wondering if the autopilot update has been incorporated into the downloaded installer version 7.1.100.1248.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 6:55am
Originally posted by Debowing Debowing wrote:

I purchased the BAC 1-11 on 03 JUN 2017. I was wondering if the autopilot update has been incorporated into the downloaded installer version 7.1.100.1248.

There still isn't an update to the autopilot yet.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 7:47am
I predict we will be 'celebrating' the First Anniversary of this aircraft's release without a fix. Utterly shambolic.

Date Posted: 08 Jun 2017 at 10:38am
it seems it has been forgotten by AH. It seems that AH are busy on new revenue generating not-yet-released projects(C-46, VC-10, etc.) now, the BAC 111 has been put on the back burner.

Still, update or not, its quite flyable.

Posted By: Jakobarnholtz
Date Posted: 12 Jun 2017 at 1:10pm
I bought this product just after release. I has been waiting patiently for a looooong time now. This is not god enough. Gives the impression, that you rather spit out new airplanes, instead of fixing what was not finished in the first place, and that is, of course not true, or what?  Some kind of statemen is the least you give us. 

Jakob Arnholtz

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:07pm
Our target is to have the 1-11 service pack ready for release by late June, and along with the DC-8 Series 50 to 70 service pack, it is our top priority with AH.

Thanks
Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Posted By: drmagnumwolf
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

Our target is to have the 1-11 service pack ready for release by late June, and along with the DC-8 Series 50 to 70 service pack, it is our top priority with AH.

Thanks
Martyn

Do you know if it will be compatible with P3D V4? 

EDIT: Nevermind, found my answer here Smile
http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31537&PID=208723&title=prepar3d-v4-compatibility-updates#208723

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 4:19pm
Hi Martyn,

Thank you for the update.

Cheers,
Scott

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 7:29am
Downloaded the update and looking forward to trying it out...

Print Page | Close Window