Print Page | Close Window

Avro Lancaster

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Chat
Forum Name: Just Chat - General Discussion
Forum Description: Forum for shootin' the breeze about subjects not relating to Flight Simulation or aviation
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=30870
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:03am

Topic: Avro Lancaster
Posted By: johnsmith
Subject: Avro Lancaster
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 9:23am
In view of the recent release of the Moquito, I was wondering whether it would be possible to develope a Avro Lancaster. The First Class Version is good but I feel that it is now becoming a little dated.
Thanks
John Smith

Replies:
Posted By: HiTec
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2017 at 8:40pm
A2A should make one.....

Posted By: Busterbvi
Date Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:06pm
Agree 100% on this, the Lancaster is without doubt as iconic as the Spitfire and the super talented JF in house dev team would make a superb job of it. Done to the standards that has been coming out of the in house team, it would be a great seller for JF.

-------------
Asus Z87. i7 4770k. 8 GB DDR3 @ 1866 mhz. GTX980ti SC. 120 GB SSD. 1TB Evo SSD. 750W PSU. W7/64. Dell 32'' 4K Monitor. 2 Lazy Boyz & Lap dancing facilities.

Date Posted: 10 Mar 2017 at 7:12am
Hello
I have been in touch with A"A when the only other flying Lancaster was in the UK from Canada, but the response was totally negative. I have also been in touch with Aeroplane Heaven and the reply was not in the foreseable future
Also Virtavia have a copy of the Lincoln, but my advice would be to stick with the First Class Version for now

Posted By: Markavro
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 5:13pm
Just Flight produced the Lancaster, but if you have Win10 and the Boxed version then you can no longer install it under Win10. 

-------------
All the Best

Posted By: Markavro
Date Posted: 08 Nov 2017 at 5:17pm
just Flight produced a Lancaster but it no longer installs boxed version under win10. So another piece of software that microsoft has made null and void.

-------------
All the Best

Posted By: Chock
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 11:17am
I would have thought it would be a no-brainer for Aeroplane Heaven and Just Flight to have a crack at the Lancaster for P3D V4, especially since they did such a brilliant job with the B17F, which is without doubt one of the best add-ons they've ever made. AH knocked it right out of the park with that one, it's awesome.

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 1:27pm
I have been in touch with both Aeroplane Heaven and A2A who did not seem that interested in the Lancaster which I think is a shame especially after the interest that was generated when "VERA" from Canada was in England. Also its the reason I have not upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7

Posted By: Rich
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2017 at 3:08pm
Now that we've got a Vulcan in the works, that only leaves the Lancaster and SR-71 on my bucket list of aircraft I'd love to create.
I'll be crossing my fingers we get to the Lanc some time with you guys!  

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Just-Flight/15266573498" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Paul K
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 10:21am
Coventry's Shackleton MR2 first, please. Wink

Posted By: Delta558
Date Posted: 25 Nov 2017 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Paul K Paul K wrote:

Coventry's Shackleton MR2 first, please. Wink

Oh, yes please . . . . 

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2017 at 4:09pm
At the risk of sounding rude which I dont mean to be, I would respectfully suggest that going forward, JF keep it all in house to maintain the most excellent standard set by the Canberra, Hawk, GR1 etc. A Lancaster done 100% by the JF in house team would be the answer to my prayers ! Also, I know there are many Spitfires out there but the only decent one is the A2A Mk 1/2b. How about the house team think outside the box and do a Mk16 with Merlin, in my humble opinion, the most beautiful Spitfire variant ever made.

-------------
Asus Z87. i7 4770k. 8 GB DDR3 @ 1866 mhz. GTX980ti SC. 120 GB SSD. 1TB Evo SSD. 750W PSU. W7/64. Dell 32'' 4K Monitor. 2 Lazy Boyz & Lap dancing facilities.

Posted By: Tutmeister
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2017 at 8:34pm
Just wanted to add my support for a lanc too!
Having both fsx versions of the lanc they are dated and never entirely worked properly either with missing controls and systems being mixed up. A study lanc would do so well with the ability to manage fuel systems, engine feathering and restarts etc.
It is a constant running joke on the a2a forums but it is unlikely they will ever do one. Go for it Just Flight, the in house team is among the best.
Fingers crossed. :)
Chris

Posted By: kevinfirth
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 1:58pm
I would buy any in-house JF spit or lanc in a heartbeat :) I'm sure the BoB flight would partner up with you vis a vis access to aircraft and data? K

Posted By: Uncle Bucc
Date Posted: 31 Dec 2017 at 8:13pm
If a Lancaster was produced and to the level, or higher, than the Canberra PR9 then I too would buy one. 

A sim study level aeroplane, including engine and fuel management systems etc., would definately lighten my wallet.  Big smile

Posted By: IanHenry
Date Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 11:33am
Yes, a good Lancaster would be very nice.
I've just finished reading "Bomber Flight Berlin" by Mike Rossiter, it's the story of one Lancaster crew's war and it gives a pretty horrific account of the number of people killed by the bomber offensive, both civilian and crew, for example one raid quotes 46 Lancasters lost. 

Regards,
Ian

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:10pm
Nice to see support for the Lancaster, its time this most iconic of aircraft was honoured by a British developer. You have a very talented team in place now to pull this off before someone else does so come on Just Flight and pay tribute to the aircraft that in my opinion, won us the war.

I dont care too much for complicating it with fuel management systems etc but I would like to see a functioning bomb aimers view and the ability to drop ordnance so we can recreate the sole purpose of what the real aircraft was designed and built to do.

Sir Winston Churchill. " The fighters are our salvation... but the bombers alone provide the means of victory"

Herman Goering. " No enemy plane will fly over Reich territory"

Here is S - Sugar, now preserved at the RAF Museum Hendon. I believe the only RAF aircraft to be awarded the Distinguished Flying Medal.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Jan 2018 at 9:15pm
Looks like it is progressing well!
https://fselite.net/previews/aeroplane-heaven-announce-avro-lancaster-heavy-bomber/" rel="nofollow - aeroplane heaven new lanc
It is also on their Facebook page.

Chris

Date Posted: 08 Jan 2018 at 3:04pm
Didnt see this coming ! Thanks for the heads up Tutmeister.

This is good news indeed, been patiently waiting for a good Lancaster for years. I hope it includes droppable ordnance and bomb aimers view through a SABS precision bomb-sight so we can fly it to do what it was originally designed and built to do. I feel radio, nav station and front gunner views are unnecessary and the engineer sits next to the pilot anyway. Mid upper gunner 360 view would be nice but tail end Charlie, not so much. Respectfully, its a waste of devs time and poly's cramming in useless gimmicky views that most of us never use. Front & rear gunner views there's nothing to see ! Please don't over complicate it, just focus on overall quality, functionality as a bomber, a spot on sound set and you have a winner. Not being rude here so please take my comments in the spirit in which they are meant. Looking forward to it. Spitfire looking good too !

-------------

Posted By: normanmacdonald
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 12:36pm
First Class Simulations do one which is excellent and it is of the last one to fly in the UK

Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:40pm
First class is a shocking mess of a model with incorrect systems, fuel selectors that are the wrong way round, loads of switches not working or doing the wrong thing, prop pitch and feathering that doesn’t work properly and incomplete models depending on the version selected. I can’t wait to have a prepar3d native version that has everything working on it.
Despite all that I enjoyed flying the fcs one a lot, probably because it has been the only half decent one that worked in fsx or p3d until now.
Chris

Posted By: Herky
Date Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Busterbvi Busterbvi wrote:

Didnt see this coming ! Thanks for the heads up Tutmeister.

<span style="color: rgb29, 33, 41; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; white-space: pre-wrap;">This is good news indeed, been patiently waiting for a good Lancaster for years. I hope it includes droppable ordnance and bomb aimers view through a SABS precision bomb-sight so we can fly it to do what it was originally designed and built to do. I feel radio, nav station and front gunner views are unnecessary and the engineer sits next to the pilot anyway. Mid upper gunner 360 view would be nice but tail end Charlie, not so much. Respectfully, its a waste of devs time and poly's cramming in useless gimmicky views that most of us never use. Front & rear gunner views there's nothing to see ! Please don't over complicate it, just focus on overall quality, functionality as a bomber, a spot on sound set and you have a winner. Not being rude here so please take my comments in the spirit in which they are meant. Looking forward to it. Spitfire looking good too !</span>

I agree with your statements.

From my experience with P3dv3, it's a P3dv4 version that's required. The sim may be prone to out of memory, especially over Orbx Germany, which is a VAS eater!

Whilst it would be nice to have a working "complex" read, complete simulation of a Lancaster, I think a TacPack enhanced version would be and should be included, as the icing on the cake!

TacPack works well in 64 bit. The VRS Superbug works well in 64 bit, so it's my hope the developers get the Lancaster project done properly.

Just out of curiosity and academic interest, I recently completed a modern re creation of the Dambusters raid. I used the route as flown by AJ-J, Dave Maltby's aircraft.

Because the F/A 18 E has all the modern GPS weapons available and functions in P3dv4, I employed that aircraft, albeit with modern weapons and some "modern" defences to balance out the mission. Obviously it's in day time, or, if filmed at night you wouldn't see anything on You Tube! However the night mission is rather special when you fly it in your favourite aircraft....Tornado anyone??

https://youtu.be/3azwETYk5jQ

https://youtu.be/3azwETYk5jQ

Sorry doesn't look like this forum does links, but post the link in your browser and it should play!

Best regards

David

-------------
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 3:45pm
David click the link icon above the message box, it is on the left hand end and then type in the text you want to appear as the link, then click ok and type in the web address. You end up with it like this.

https://youtu.be/3azwETYk5jQ" rel="nofollow - f18 dambusters raid

Chris

Date Posted: 14 Jan 2018 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Tutmeister Tutmeister wrote:

David click the link icon above the message box, it is on the left hand end and then type in the text you want to appear as the link, then click ok and type in the web address. You end up with it like this.

https://youtu.be/3azwETYk5jQ" rel="nofollow - f18 dambusters raid

Chris

Thanks Chris, I'd forgot about the link thingy!

Best regards
David

-------------

Posted By: Simon Caire
Date Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 12:12pm
Hi Fellow Lancaster lovers,

I have just joined in the Flight Simulator world and am enjoying learning to fly on MFS 9 and MFSX.  In particular, I am just getting started on the Just Flight Lancaster (favourite aircraft) on MFS 9.

Was hoping for some advice:  I can't seem to find the Bomb aimer position or front turret position in the Option C aircraft.  I cycle through the views and only get the cockpit, virtual cockpit, spot and tower views.  What am I doing wrong?

Also, can anyone suggest some locations to fly from to be able to get some good scenery for coastal low level flight, and a target or two for the upkeep and grand slam.

Thanks everyone from the newbie for your advice.

Simon

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Simon Caire Simon Caire wrote:

Hi Fellow Lancaster lovers,

I have just joined in the Flight Simulator world and am enjoying learning to fly on MFS 9 and MFSX.  In particular, I am just getting started on the Just Flight Lancaster (favourite aircraft) on MFS 9.

Was hoping for some advice:  I can't seem to find the Bomb aimer position or front turret position in the Option C aircraft.  I cycle through the views and only get the cockpit, virtual cockpit, spot and tower views.  What am I doing wrong?

Also, can anyone suggest some locations to fly from to be able to get some good scenery for coastal low level flight, and a target or two for the upkeep and grand slam.

Thanks everyone from the newbie for your advice.

Simon

Hello Simon.

Unfortunately I don't have fs9 anymore, so have no idea about the JF Lanc for fs9. What I do know is that if they release this for P3dv4 with TacPack, I would think all my birthdays had com at once. I would pay twice to get that!!

If you want to fly the exact route AJ-J (Dave Maltby's Lancaster flew on the dams raid) there is a link here for the site.

I used this exact route in my "Modern Recreation" video.

https://dambustersblog.com/2011/09/21/dams-raid-route-%e2%80%93-a-modern-re-creation/

Happy simming!
Regards
David

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:36pm
Thanks Dave for the info.  Yes I will have a look at your dams raid route.  I am very interested in that.  I have been doing a bit more research on the dams raid recently.

Any idea who might be able to help me re my FS9 issue and selecting the two other aircraft stations?

I am having fun aircraft simming.  Had thought about it for a ing time and finally bit the bullet late last year after I was at a work function in the Australian war memorial.  It was an evening meal, and we were in the RAAF Hall, which includes a Lancaster sitting proudly on display.  That got my interest up again, so I did it.  

Regards from down-under,
Simon

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 10:33am
Originally posted by Simon Caire Simon Caire wrote:

Thanks Dave for the info.  Yes I will have a look at your dams raid route.  I am very interested in that.  I have been doing a bit more research on the dams raid recently.

Any idea who might be able to help me re my FS9 issue and selecting the two other aircraft stations?

I am having fun aircraft simming.  Had thought about it for a ing time and finally bit the bullet late last year after I was at a work function in the Australian war memorial.  It was an evening meal, and we were in the RAAF Hall, which includes a Lancaster sitting proudly on display.  That got my interest up again, so I did it.  

Regards from down-under,
Simon

No worries!

It's a fine hobby, especially for retired types!

Sorry I can't help with fs9. You could send JF a support request ticket?

I have been simming since the Commodore 64 days and now find myself on the latest 64 bit P3dv4. I would recommend considering the upgrade, it's the unlimited VAS that's great for the future. Trouble is some developers are slow to upgrade Sims to 64 bit. Some try and mess up?

Regarding the route I used in my "modern recreation" post the link in your browser and it should take you to the Dutch pilot who researched it. He used the navigator logs of Vivian Nicholson's, the navigator in Dave Maltby's "J" Johnny. The route, when flown in P3dv4 with Orbx North Germany, becomes clear! Orbx have even got the Slag Heap at waypoint "G". This was the i.p. for the turn south towards the Mohne Dam. Nearly all the other visual waypoints used can be found. But you need Orbx in 64 bit to really see what's there!

Best regards
David

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 1:16pm
Thanks Dave,

I did send a tech support request to JF and they were not able to help.  The Lancaster add on is not supported (go figure) so they suggested the forum.  Just a tad frustrated I can't find the bomb aimers position and hence can't release ordnance.  I am not sure where to turn to next.  Any other ideas?

I have had a look at your blog and the J Johnny route.  It is amazing David.  You must have spent lot of time researching it and setting up the idea.  I managed to only get about 15 mins into the sim but will get back to it later.  You should be very proud of that.  

Regards,

Simon

Date Posted: 23 Jan 2018 at 2:12pm
Hi Simon.

The bomb aimer view must be a "view", which should be in your .cfg file. I have forgotten where that is in fs9 (its a long time ago!). But if you open the aircraft.cfg file in notepad, scroll down, there should be a couple of entries. If not then something's wrong?

My thought were to do the "Dambusters recreated" movie using the 617 Tornado. Since the JF 64 bit Tonka is hangared due to maintenance..!
   I decided to explore the VRS Superbug. Glad I did! What a simulation!

Of course I would have preferred a fully working Lanc. But the way things are with devs these days, I will be waiting a long time I think!

The only other WW2 Bomber with credentials for being a simulation, is the A2A B17. Again here we see reluctance on the part of A2A to "convert" it to 64 bit?

So after I discovered how deep a simulation the VRS Superbug is with Tacpack, I don't think I can go back to non armed warplanes in P3d?

The Tacpack SDK is available to all. Some guys have even put a Vulcan onto a Cessna. I am sure it wouldn't take much for a dev to put weapons onto a Tornado or Canberra or a new version of a Lancaster? If there is a will?

Unfortunately, we seem to be in a minority. We are a niche within a niche hobby and arnt seen as a commercial proposition!

Best regards
David

-------------

Posted By: petesmiffy
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:35pm
Some good "front office" pictures on Aeroplane Heaven's FaceBook page.

Date Posted: 27 Jan 2018 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by petesmiffy petesmiffy wrote:

Some good "front office" pictures on Aeroplane Heaven's FaceBook page.

It will no doubt be very welcome in P3dv4. No Oom's to worry about! But without Tacpack compatibility, its a military sim without vital functions!
All military sims in Prepared should have the Tacpack compatibility. It would enhance the simulation and no doubt increase sales!

Cheers.

-------------

Posted By: bladerunner900
Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:26am
Hi guys.

Thanks for the heads-up Chris. I look forward to this release. Probably the last chance of a decent Avro Lancaster in my lifetime, since A2A seem to have lost the plot regarding  warbirds. Just my opinion of course. LOL

Steve.

Date Posted: 13 Apr 2018 at 11:48am
Originally posted by bladerunner900 bladerunner900 wrote:

Hi guys.

Thanks for the heads-up Chris. I look forward to this release. Probably the last chance of a decent Avro Lancaster in my lifetime, since A2A seem to have lost the plot regarding  warbirds. Just my opinion of course. LOL

Steve.

I hope a Lanc will work with Tacpack. With a working bomb aimers position. That "halfpenny" bombsight they used in the Dambuster raid was just a couple of pegs on a Y shaped bracket...Shouldn't be hard to simulate that? However a bouncing bomb (Upkeep) will be a problem? The main focus, I surmise, should be on the engine simulation. Four Merlin's to work with.

A2A seem to be very slow to release 64 bit versions of their sims. A few have tried to stimulate interest in a Lancaster A2A, but seems like they aren't interested!

We need a dev who has a passion for the Lancaster, otherwise it will never be made, or worse still they will just make a museum version that just flies about at air shows and doesn't drop any bombs!

Best regards

David

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 12:34pm
You tube have a teaser trailer from Aeroplane Heaven. 
Hopefully they will have a decent camera view for the P8 compass.  Easy in the "Tiffy" but a bit awkward in the "Mossie" to get a decent bearing/reading. 

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Uncle Bucc Uncle Bucc wrote:

You tube have a teaser trailer from Aeroplane Heaven. 
Hopefully they will have a decent camera view for the P8 compass.  Easy in the "Tiffy" but a bit awkward in the "Mossie" to get a decent bearing/reading. 

Aeroplane Heaven have stated that they do not intend to do a Tacpack compatible version.

Unless they do their own bomb release mechanism, this will be another flying museum aircraft, nice to fly about but with no weapons. I realise Tacpack and FSX@War/ P3d@War isn't for everyone, but creating missions that have a result is much more engrossing!

Best regards
David

-------------

Date Posted: 14 Apr 2018 at 1:38pm

Its looking good but what a shame about Tacpack, I think a change of attitude is needed at Aeroplane Heaven. I'm also disappointed that the superb JF in house team did not do this. This most iconic plane deserves the very best standards of simulation modeling that the JF team consistently achieve.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 11:41am
The medal ribbons on the aircraft refer to awards to the aircrew.

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Busterbvi Busterbvi wrote:

Its looking good but what a shame about Tacpack, I think a change of attitude is needed at Aeroplane Heaven. I'm also disappointed that the superb JF in house team did not do this. This most iconic plane deserves the very best standards of simulation modeling that the JF team consistently achieve.

Aeroplane Heaven wont get a sale out of me unless its weapon capable. After you have constructed missions in Tacpack/Sim director and FSCAI for AAA and Flak, just flying about from a to b is somewhat dull!

I was looking forward to using my "Dambusters" mission in a Lanc but this looks like its not going to happen.

Hopefully the Vulcan will get a Tacpack addition...But I aint holding my breath!

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 1:07pm

Not sure how involved JF are in this Lancaster project but if they are the publisher perhaps they could intervene or persuade AH to think again. I see in the trailer that it does drop ordnance but I want to blow shit up which is what it was designed and built to do. The tech capability to do this has been around for years.

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 1:43pm

The medal ribbons on the aircraft refer to awards to the aircrew.

Only partially true. S-Sugar was decorated 3 times. See this from the RAF Museum history.

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/collections/74-A-12-Avro-Lancaster-R5868.pdf

"As ‘Sugar’s’ mission tally approached the 100 mark the press began to take an interest and ‘higher authority’ decided that the nude would have to go. In her place was inscribed Herman Goering’s vain boast ‘No enemy plane will fly over the Reich Territory’ applied by LAC Ted Willoughby, one of Sugars engine fitters in Feb 1944 assisted by F/Sgt Dan Smith. An arrow pointed to the growing number of bomb markings and the DSO ribbon ‘awarded’ after the first tour of 30 missions and a DSO after 60.Sugar was later awarded a bar to the DFC. These also reflected awards given to Sugars’ crew members."

As I understand it, this aircraft is the only one ever to be decorated by the RAF.

-------------

Posted By: DaveG
Date Posted: 15 Apr 2018 at 3:31pm
TacPacking the Lancaster would be relatively easy for simple freefall bombs (I've added it myself for the FCS model), but the fact is the ordinance carried by the Lancaster simply doesn't exist in TacPack, that would need to be added by VRS to the TacPack code. Without that you would end up dropping modern Mk-82 or similar weapons.

Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by DaveG DaveG wrote:

TacPacking the Lancaster would be relatively easy for simple freefall bombs (I've added it myself for the FCS model), but the fact is the ordinance carried by the Lancaster simply doesn't exist in TacPack, that would need to be added by VRS to the TacPack code. Without that you would end up dropping modern Mk-82 or similar weapons.

That's interesting! I knew you could put a gun on a Cessna with the Tacpack SDK. But there is little chance to put a TallBoy or an Upkeep in a Tacpack Lancaster. Unless you could amend the bomb weight somehow. But youd still see a Mk 83 drop!

I suppose the 12000 Lb load could be Mk 82/83, which are in Tacpack?

Perhaps?

Cheers.

-------------

Posted By: DaveG
Date Posted: 17 Apr 2018 at 6:18pm
Yes, you could replace the actual Mk83 model with a Tallboy for example, so it would look right, but the drop and explosion characteristics would still be those of the Mk83. Of course, then any other aircraft that used the Mk83 would be dropping Tallboy lookalikes! LOL
Using Mk82/83 as standard WWII 500lb or 1000lb bombs would be OK if you didn't look too closely as they dropped.

Date Posted: 18 Apr 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by DaveG DaveG wrote:

Yes, you could replace the actual Mk83 model with a Tallboy for example, so it would look right, but the drop and explosion characteristics would still be those of the Mk83. Of course, then any other aircraft that used the Mk83 would be dropping Tallboy lookalikes! LOL
Using Mk82/83 as standard WWII 500lb or 1000lb bombs would be OK if you didn't look too closely as they dropped.

OK, I think keeping the Mk 82's would be ok. I don't know if they dropped 12,000 Lb. worth of those, but the effect would be rather spectacular!

They dropped sticks of incendiaries (looked like modern small "practice" bombs) and a big "Cookie", which looked like a large barrel full of HE.

Like you say we are limited to what's in Tacpack but at least the Lanc could drop something!

So here's hoping that we can have a Lanc that works!

Cheers.

Regards
David

-------------

Posted By: Bumblemus
Date Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 4:52pm
Hi,

Is there any news from the lancaster?

It has been a long time...

Cheers,

Bumblemus

Date Posted: 20 Aug 2018 at 5:55pm
I believe it's nearing completion.

It was advertised recently, on a JF newsletter, showing some nice external shots. If it has Tacpack integration, I would have it on my wish list. If not, it's going to be missing the ability to do bombing missions using FSX@War, FSCAI etc. I realise Tacpack wouldn't replicate an Upkeep, but a few iron bombs would be nice?

It will be nice to fly one in the sim. I hope they modelled the engines at least?

Regards.
Davud

-------------

Date Posted: 30 Aug 2018 at 5:25pm
Looked into JF, saw that the Lancaster had just been released and without hesitation bought it.

Just read the guidance notes, twice, and about to re-read them again before setting up the aeroplane with FSUIPC.

It looks like you get quite a bit here with engine management systems, maybe not as complex as A2A's B-17, plus also the ability to manage limited flight control from the bomb aimers' position.

Thankfully there is a primitive "George" as you can also flit between the navigator and wireless operators stations.

Once in autopliot you can also get to act as the front gunner.

This does like like it will be a joy to fly, despite not being Tac-Packed. 

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 7:55am
Maybe you can help me here. When I engage the auto control the aircraft turns North. If I click on the auto control steering switch the aircraft turns onto some totally random heading.
What are you doing right, that I am doing wrong?

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 10:51am
I am afraid that I am unable to help you there as I suffered the same problem.  I then re-read the manual and will try and give it another go again tonight. 

I hope that I can find out where I am going wrong and I will post an update if any positive results happen.

I also need to "tweak" the aileron null zones in FSUIPC but that is a local issue for me.

I flew for about an hour just to get the feel and I need to be careful and watch my air-speed when deploying flaps plus also how quickly she can fall from the sky.  My first landing was one of the best I have ever managed in any of my virtual aircraft.

I also had a funny 'glitch' when trying to shut down number three engine because the airscrew (propellor) just kept on slowly turning after it had been shut-down. 

My next flight will also be in twilight, either dawn or dusk, just to try out the cockpit lighting as standard and as set out in the manual.

Also if you 'manage' the engines some pretty good fuel consumption can be obtained.  I saw on a TV programme about the Lancaster, Forces TV, that some flight engineers could get 1 nautical mile to each gallon of fuel that was carried.

All the best.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 11:26am
I found the default cockpit lighting makes the start up drill difficult. I expect the real pilots could do it all by touch, or torch.
Over I really like it. Just need to get the auto control heading sorted. I have submitted a ticket.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 3:18pm
I have discovered (in P3Dv4) that if you start up, take off and climb to whatever altitude you like and then  engage the Auto Control, pitch works like it says on the tin. Heading can be made to work too, do NOT touch the Auto Control Steering lever. The Auto Control strives to keep the aircraft heading towards the "0" on the Direction Indicator
Flying North with the Direction Indicator showing "0", turn the Indicator to "030" and the aircraft will turn to PORT until the Direction Indicator reads "0" again and you are now flying on a heading of 330Mag. Turn the Direction Indicator however many degrees you like and the aircraft will turn that number of degrees in the opposite direction, to bring the Direction Indicator back to "0". Do NOT press "D" because  that will screw it up.
Not ideal, but it works.
I have not tried it from the bomb aimer's position.

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 4:04pm
PS
If you carefully place your mouse cursor in the very centre of the Auto Control Turn Lever control, on what looks like the central bolt. Left clicking will produce a left turn and right clicking a right turn. Stopping the turn on the correct heading is tricky but it can be done with a quick blast of opposite click

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2018 at 8:07pm
@ petesmiffy many thanks for the help regarding the auto control. 

I tried another flight, by mistake for trying a twilight/night flight, and the same thing happened again the aeroplane went all over the place.  I shall try your remedy again tomorrow morning to see if I get better results.

Now I must remember some mental arithmetic when calculating my courses if that is the case.  LOL

I am using FSX:SE (Steam Edition) for those who may be experiencing similar issues.

Posted By: neilG
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 5:04pm
Does anyone else find that the FPS is a bit low?

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 6:59pm
Ok guys, just managed to pull a loop in full reality in an Avro Lancaster. I am not entirely sure about these flight dynamics???

Posted By: WarHorse47
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by neilG neilG wrote:

Ok guys, just managed to pull a loop in full reality in an Avro Lancaster. I am not entirely sure about these flight dynamics???
Was that with a full bomb load or empty?

--WH

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 7:08pm
I was empty but shouldn't be able to do that anyway should you?

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 7:48pm
Right, just pulled another loop with full bomb load and full realism: built up steam in a dive  - no rumble or shake through dive acceleration; smooth as silk,  - pulled up and over, pulled out and all smooth as....Now Ive never flown the real thing but I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to do that in reality. I think this is important, what do others think?

Posted By: WarHorse47
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 7:48pm
Barrel-roll, yes. Not sure about a loop. I would think the stresses would tear the aircraft apart, assuming you had damages activated in the sim. But then again, this is a simulation.

--WH

PS - Need to read chapter 12 of "Sigh for a Merlin" by test pilot Alex Henshaw to did a lot of testing of the Lanc.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 7:53pm
Thanks, I will read  that. But if the flight dynamics are wrong I hope it is fixed in a patch because this is otherwise a lovely model and surely correct flight dynamics are central to a good model. Please guys at AH, check it out and see if I'm right.

Date Posted: 01 Sep 2018 at 8:15pm
Interesting posts above.

I tried using the auto controls again and it makes the aircraft behave in the most peculiar manner and after trying petesmiffy's advice still have erratic behaviour.  Once you manage to hold a heading only slight deviations are possible anything fierce makes everything unstable again and it needs to be reset.

Slight 'tweaks' from the bomb aimers' position are okay providing they are subtle.

After my latest flight (2 hours) both starboard engines still continued turning after shut down!!!

I also find that with the auto control trying to set the P8 compass also sends the aircraft into wild manoeuvres and the compass/gyro in the 'big six' shows strange readings.

Other than that I shall try a flight with a bomb load and see what happens and also re-read the manual again regarding the fuel tanks and distribution.

Overall I like the Lancaster and once I get used to her will probably do a 'sortie' with flak effects enabled.

Posted By: simondix
Date Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 11:44am
With regards to a loop a think Alec Henshaw rolled or looped a Lancaster

-------------
Simon

Date Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 4:16pm
Can you give me a link to that please?, I'd be fascinated.

Posted By: simondix
Date Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:54pm
If you Wiki Alec Henshaw it states he barrel rolled one.

-------------
Simon

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 8:35am
Originally posted by neilG neilG wrote:

Looping an AVRO Lancaster has been done in reality deliberately on at least one occasion that I know of, by Eric Phillips. Eric flew a number of aircraft in WW2 but particularly loved the Lancaster, on which he was an instructor after he'd completed a tour of 30 missions on them with 100 Squadron. His tour was no easy one either, it included seven missions to Berlin amongst other places. 

Eric once landed a Lancaster on one engine after a student he was instructing managed to kill three of its engines. He also once deliberately feathered one engine on his Lancaster and then overtook a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress he'd spotted, just for a bit of fun. so he was really familiar with the things.

Of the Lancaster, he said: 'They have a great deal of power and can be thrown all over the sky, which is very necessary in operations when caught in the glare of a searchlight over enemy territory.'

But if that doesn't convince you, check this newspaper clipping out at the link below. It's about a Lancaster pulling a loop with a full bomb load on board...

https://imgur.com/SQCOl6n" rel="nofollow - https://imgur.com/SQCOl6n

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 9:18am
I would like to see that from a more reliable source than the Daily Mail.
There are so many variables in play when manoeuvring an aircraft that what is and what isn't possible are almost impossible to define.  Some extreme examples, such as the rolling of the prototype B707 and Janusz Żurakowski "cartwheeling" a Meteor were well planned beforehand and flown by highly expert pilots, while others were desperate measures under the stress of combat. Or, allegedly, in the case of an attempt to loop a Messerschmitt Me 323 Gigant, while under the influence of alcohol.

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 5:14pm

I would like to see that from a more reliable source than the Daily Mail.

That clipping isn't from the Daily Mail, it's from the Melbourne Argus, dated Jan 8th 1943. It is a story they've picked up off the wire from the Australian Associated Press news feed. That of course doesn't necessarily mean it is true, however, the fact that it was on AAP's source feed tends to lend it a bit more credence, but more than that...

I think the original source for the story might have been Clare Hollingworth (who died last year aged 105), and if that is the case then I would certainly lend it very much more credibility, as she was a very brave reporter who was also a very keen flier too. She was in fact the news correspondent who got what was almost certainly the scoop of the Twentieth Century, for it was she who broke the news of the start of WW2; she was the first to report the German invasion of Poland, her report first appearing in the Daily Telegraph.

She once said: 'I'll go anywhere so long as I have my pearl handled revolver and my other two essentials; a toothbrush and a typewriter.'

They don't make 'em like that anymore do they? What a wonderful and very brave lady.

But anyway, back on the topic of the Lancaster and it being able to loop. Regardless of the fact that Lancaster pilot Eric Phillips said he did it, and who are we to doubt him? Or that this newspaper report alleges it occurred too, I don't doubt that it is possible to loop a Lancaster, all you need to loop pretty much any aeroplane is enough entry speed and the ability for it to withstand a little positive G loading. 

We know the Lancaster was built tough, what with its notoriously hefty main wing spar and very strong girder section bomb bay which enabled it to lift such massive bomb loads, and we know that several Lancasters were dived and turned so hard during evasive manoeuvers that they actually shed their ailerons, yet still recovered safely. So really the only things I'd worry about in looping a Lancaster would be that the bomb shackles maintained their integrity under a larger G load if there were some on board, and that there would be enough altitude to perform the manoeuver.

Date Posted: 05 Sep 2018 at 6:17pm
I think you would be hard pushed to find anyone who would voluntarily loop a Lancaster with a bombload. The article, which quotes the Daily Mail, states that the aircraft was not in a controlled loop but was inverted by the blast of an AA shell, the pilot recovered by completing the loop, rather like a split-s.
Given some forward planning and some ability almost anything is possible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9pvG_ZSnCc" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9pvG_ZSnCc

Print Page | Close Window