Forum Description: In-development area
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=30692
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:31pm

Topic: ILS Glide Path
Posted By: Expire
Subject: ILS Glide Path
Date Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:30am
Hi

Does anybody have experience of using the ILS?

Using Brize Norton as my airfield I am testing the ILS system and find that the Track seems to give reasonable results, but the Glide Slope seems to be non functioning:

I get the green VLOC indicator on the HSI and (with some difficulty) can stabilize the aircraft at about 110 knots with flaps and U/C and can fly more or less horizontally into the G/S. 

Having done all of that she seems to ignore the glide slope instrumentation and either drop below or rise above the "needles".  I can correct this to a certain extent with the throttles but that seems to defeat the object of the instrument.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Best regards

Mike 

Replies:
Posted By: Jason210
Date Posted: 19 May 2016 at 11:51pm
I can't do it either. I was using 23R at EGCC.

From what I can gather, establishing a stable approach speed was very important on the Canberra before engaging the GLIDE mode. The numbers are vital. For example, I was approaching on low tanks with the flaps down & the trim fully nose down, and the aircraft would only stop pitching up when the speed dropped to around 110 kts, with throttle at around 70% as stated in the manual. This is consistent with the chart on page 29 of the operating data manual. Then I engaged GLIDE but it overshot the glideslope. I used slew mode to move the aircraft back several times to re-attempt it but it wouldn't capture.

Like you I could easily correct it with the throttles, but as you say, that defeats the purpose of having a GLIDE mode. One might as well fly it in manually.

Are you using it with FSX or P3D?

Date Posted: 20 May 2016 at 3:32pm
Hi Jason

I am using FSX Steam. I agree with all of your points - I have been guilty of flying too fast on the approach and I have learnt to disconnect the elevators from the autopilot before lowering the flaps (the Dive / Climb switch is not responsive enough to prevent a rollercoaster ride when the elevators are connected).

I have mentioned the difficulty in locking onto the glide slope in a Technical Query that I raised on another matter. But because it was a secondary point I do not know whether Just Flight will follow it up at all.

Now that I know that I am not the only person struggling I might mention it again to Simon at Just Flight.

Otherwise I am very impressed with the 'plane and have a lot of fun with it.

All the best

Mike

Date Posted: 20 May 2016 at 3:58pm
Hi Mike

I was wondering if it might be a P3Dv3 problem, but it would seem not as you are using FSX-SE. I'm not giving up yet - I'm going to try out a few other things, and if I can't get it to work I shall also log a technical query.

I agree it is an excellent add-on - definitely ranking with the best available.

All best to you also!

Jason

Date Posted: 21 May 2016 at 1:07pm
Hi Mike

Further testing has revealed to me that GLIDE hold, when activated, does in fact operate the elevator trim. When engaged, I could see the elevator position indicators fluctuating. However it does not appear to accept input from the glide-slope receiver. I've tried numerous ways to capture the glide-slope, such as flying level into it, or matching my descent with it, and it doesn't happen. It either sails above it or below it.

It does capture. I was trying to do it on the VOR2 without realising, using with the SL30 receiver. When I set it up with the GTN 650 receiver it sets VOR 1 on the HSI and GLIDE capture works for me, on the auto-pilot. It does say in the manual as well... Embarrassed

/Jason

Date Posted: 22 May 2016 at 5:04pm
That is good news indeed!  I will try this myself as soon as I can.

Mike

-------------
Best regards

Mike Reardon

Print Page | Close Window