Forum Name: DH.104 Dove & Devon
Forum Description: Discussion area for DH.104 Dove & Devon
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=30578
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 8:19am

Topic: DH 104 Dove
Posted By: aj.meijer
Subject: DH 104 Dove
Date Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 2:38pm
Can somemone help me with the power and pitch setting levers during take-off, cruise flight and descent please?

thanks in advance

Alex

Replies:
Posted By: Voice of Reason
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 12:33pm
Alex, did you manage to get any help or sort this out yet?

Remember you can always submit a support ticket for any technical assistance that's needed.

http://justflight.com/support

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 1:20pm
No replies until now.

I am interested in the prop rpm, throttle and manifold settings of the DH 104 Dove.

The manual gives only rpm (no manifold and throttle settings) settings for descent and landing. No settings are given for climb and cruise

Will a support ticket to the technical assistance be usefull?   

greetings

Alex

Posted By: snave
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 3:27pm
Check the PDF file `DH104 Documentation`. It contains a sample flight under the section
`Flying the DH.104 Dove`. You will find power settings there.

They are not complicated, this bird was not overpowered!

100% for take off
95% for climb
85& cruise

ALWAYS check the documentation before posting - it nearly always provides an instant answer, one which you could have had days ago.

Posted By: kevinh
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by snave snave wrote:

Check the PDF file `DH104 Documentation`. It contains a sample flight under the section
`Flying the DH.104 Dove`. You will find power settings there.

They are not complicated, this bird was not overpowered!

100% for take off
95% for climb
85& cruise

ALWAYS check the documentation before posting - it nearly always provides an instant answer, one which you could have had days ago.

When you tell someone to read the manual it's always best to check if it has the complete answer. Percent power is useless if you are setting power with the engine instruments, as you should be.  I presume they mean %throttle lever, but that means running the engine at full RPM the whole flight. Not really realistic and you would be in the amber RPM range the whole time.

The manual should tell you what RPM and manifold/boost pressure to set for each condition. In climb I reduce RPM to the top of green range and reduce boost pressure "a bit". In cruise it's easier, RPM is as it was for climb and power as required to maintain cruise speed.

Edit

After a bit or searching for DH104 type certificate data I found the following:

Max takeoff power....42 inHg @2800 RPM (5 minutes limit)
Max continuous.........40 inHg @2600 RPM

Max continuous could be used for climb power

The checklist in the JF data says to set 2700 RPM for approach and landing

These figures match up with the Dove engine gauges as 2800 RPM is the end of the RPM green band and 42 inHg is the end of the manifold pressure green band.

For flightdecks with boost pressure gauges, 42 inHg is +6 lb and 40 inHg is +5 lb

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 7:19pm
Sir,

I did check the PDF file. I have it printed in front of me. I read page page 72, 73 and 74 regarding the power settings ;-) I did the tuturial flight more than 10 times.
What I wanted to know whether the settings I have found on the internet are correct.

Take off: Full power. - Manifold pressure +7.3
Flaps up - Climb 100 kias. - Manifold pressure +3.8
Climb:  130kias - Manifold pressure +4.0 - RPM 2600.
Cruise: 150 kias - Manifold pressure +4.5 - RPM 2300
Descent: 135 kias - manifold pressure - 5.5 - RPM 2000
Approach: 100 kias - Manifold pressure -3.0 - RPM 2000
Approach: flaps 20 - 90 kias Manifold pressure -1.0
Final: 80 kias - Manifold pressure -2.0
Landing speed: 75 Kias.

Can't find that in the documentation.

regards

Alex

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 8:06pm
Alex,

Your figures are close to what I found, and as good as any to use. My figures came from the FAA website, and US certified limits may well be slightly different.

It's quite possible max climb power is +4, not +5 as for max continuous. For takeoff max power at 2800 RPM would seem the best bet.

Kevin

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 9:26pm
Pathetic, review documentation fully and stop your whining. Checking the supplied documentation reveals:

DH104_ref.htm

Speeds & Speed Limitations

MPH

KTS

Rotate Speed ( 8,000 lb)

VR

T/O Safety Speed ( 8,000 lb)

V2

Stall Speed Clean ( 8,000 lb)

VS

Stall Speed App Config ( 8,000 lb)

VSO

Never Exceed Speed

VNE

Max Cruising Speed

VNO

Normal Climb Speed (8,000 lb)

VY

Turbulence Speed

145-155

126-135

Landing Gear Operating

VLO

Landing Gear Locked Down

VLE

Flaps Extended

20o

VFE

60o

Approach Speed (8,000 lb) 60 flap

VAPP

Approach Speed (8,000 lb) 20 flap

VAPP

Engine Limitations

Gypsy Queen 70-2

Condition

Max RPM

Max

Manifold Press/Boost

Duration

Take-Off

45.0/+7.5

5 mins

Max Continuous

42.0/+6

-

Max Weak Mixture

34.0/+2

-

Max Overspeed

45.0/+7.5

20 secs

Normal Flying

RPM

MAP/Boost

IAS (MPH/KTS)

Notes

Climb

36.0/+3

150/130

Approx 600 fpm

Cruise

Max

Max

34.0/+2

Max

184/160

Normal max

8000 ft

Descent

Min

28.0/-1

156/135

Approx 500 fpm

It's the difference between handing the man a fish, and teaching him to fish.

Clearly, many here lack the rod, reel, line AND bait...                                          Thumbs Down

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 11:51pm

Pathetic, review documentation fully and stop your whining. Checking the supplied documentation reveals:

Hmmm, so why didn't you point Alex at DH104_ref.htm earlier? After all, if you had already seen it you surely would have pointed him towards it as it answers his question completely. But your answer was for him to set % power as per the tutorial in the PDF manual. And you were sarcastic to Alex for not finding this (unhelpful) data for himself. Now you are making insulting remarks to me for not finding data that you clearly hadn't found earlier either.

I rarely use the FSX kneepad, and most of the addons I have have that kind of data in the manuals. So I never have a reason to open the ref file. Maybe I should. So I'm grateful to you for pointing this out. However, at the same time I'm utterly disgusted by your insulting attitude in this thread.

It's the difference between handing the man a fish, and teaching him to fish.

Clearly, many here lack the rod, reel, line AND bait...                                          Thumbs Down

Whereas you lack the ability to be civil to others in what is usually a very friendly forum.

Some people come to this forum for help and others come here to help them. You seem to be in a third category, to be as rude and dismissive as possible.

Posted By: Mike Cameron
Date Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 12:28am
Hi Kevin,

I have seen this joker (I am being polite), act this way on other forums, I think it is his nature.  If this person would have pointed this out in a polite way to begin with this topic could have been closed and done with.  Unfortunately, this person is not alone.   Most people in the simulator universe are very polite but some would rather be mean spirited than politely answer the question or suggest where to look.  I too sometimes forget to look for these reference html files because some developers do not include them with their aircraft. 

Mike

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2016 at 8:48am
The logic is clear. I show where the information is to be found, but deliberately don't provide a direct answer. 

The thinking is simple - teaching a man to fish is ALWAYS preferable to gifting a man a fish. I believe this is at the heart of many religious teachings?

Having failed to find the answer to the direct question, the poster is then inspired to look for it themselves, rather than rely on others to hold their hand and deliver it to them as if we are at their permanent beck-and-call. 

Over time, this inspires them to help others rather than just be a burden on their fellow simmers. Or at least makes them look before they post stupid questions in forums. And there most definitely ARE such things as `stupid questions in forums`... in this case not Alex's first which received a perfectly civil reply.

My question to YOU Mike, is if you are being so punctilious and unctuously proselytising why YOU did not just provide the answer to the poster... because you forgot to look..? Surely you practice what you preach before condemning others? 

Same goes to those who also failed to provide the reference file: Do not presume to preach to me while abjectly failing to provide the answer. No-one else has actually helped the poster achieve his objectives here but me. Not one.

So then, the methodology has served its purpose by educating the many at once. 
Not merely the one, destined to be repeated many times.

The only curious fact here is why the Just Flight representative didn't just provide the file as answer. No support ticket required. Perhaps they need to learn the product they support?

Posted By: pomak249
Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 2:15pm
Whats the matter with you people? This is a computer generated a/c its not real! Its on your desktop/laptop for gods sake! Chill out and enjoy!

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 3:08pm
You are responding to a dormant post that is over a week old. 

It's not us that needs to chill out.

And if you had anything to offer, that would have been the time. Wasted opportunity for you, and time for us.

The only surprising thing this entire time is that nobody - nobody at all - has pointed out that the kneeboard does not display the DH104_ref .htm  - it's incorrectly named in the aircraft .cfg to display in the sim. Disappointingly predictable - and I quite deliberately didn't provide a solution to enable someone - anyone - else to pop in and `save the day`.

Proof that teaching people to think for themselves is a better methodology than irrelevant pleasantry...

Change the file name to DH104_ref_2.htm and the issue is completely resolved.

Please don't waste any more of our time thanking me.

Print Page | Close Window