Print Page | Close Window

Boxed versions don't install on Windows 10

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Flight Products
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Description: For discussion relating to Just Flight and other products or simulators
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=30516
Printed Date: 19 Mar 2024 at 5:28am

Topic: Boxed versions don't install on Windows 10
Posted By: Phyllo
Subject: Boxed versions don't install on Windows 10
Date Posted: 24 Jan 2016 at 11:44pm
Hi,

I'm new to fsx and installed it on Win 10 and it works nicely, so no need to discuss if it's a good idea to do that or not.

Since I wanted to add more options to the game, I bought some boxed add-ons including the A340 500/600 and the Schweizer 300CBi. I was happy when they arrived and tried to install them but the setup stopped after entering some kind of blue screen (no, not the bsod). I tried several times with and without admin privileges and got always the same result. So I searched through your support and found an entry that said something about a problem with your copy protection not working under Windows 10 any more. I don't find that entry again now but I'm sure you will.

Then I messaged you about a week ago and so far, I didn't get any reply at all. To me, that is very poor customer support. Your boxed versions are sold at many places and I didn't see a warning message stating "don't buy if you run Win 10" on any of them. So please come up with a solution and let people who bought your products use them even under Windows 10, other paid add-ons - e.g. by aerosoft - work like a charm also on this version of Windows.

Hoping for an answer in public if I can't get one in private.

Jo

Replies:
Posted By: Simon73
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 3:59pm
We have the following in our faq section:

%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.justflight.com/support/installer-help/c8a7570

Did you happen to receive an acknowledgement email shortly after submitting the ticket?

Perhaps if you can forward it to orders@justflight.com we can then check the tickets for you and re-send our reply if necessary.

-------------
Just Flight / Just Trains Customer Service Staff

Posted By: Phyllo
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Simon73 Simon73 wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I've seen that and it is explicitly NOT a solution. A solution would mean something works as it should. One way of achieving that might be to offer those who got a boxed version and then find out they can't use it to get a free download of the same product. I doubt many people check your faq to see if your software can be installed before buying it since they simply take that as a given, at least I did but now I don't buy any of your software any more before I know how this will be handled.
IMHO this only shows that using copy protection is a bad idea in the first place since things like this can happen then and it leads to frustrated customers. Plus, it only punishes those who buy software legally while those who find a way to outsmart the copy protection can play freely without being affected by such things. I doubt there will ever be a copy protection that will not be outsmarted by those who really try so it's pretty useless to include it.

Did you happen to receive an acknowledgement email shortly after submitting the ticket?

Perhaps if you can forward it to orders@justflight.com we can then check the tickets for you and re-send our reply if necessary.

No, I did not and since I entered my questions through your web site and not by e-mail, I don't have a copy of it any more. I'll e-mail a link to this discussion to orders and then someone can get back to me through e-mail.

Posted By: Voice of Reason
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2016 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by Phyllo Phyllo wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

I've seen that and it is explicitly NOT a solution. A solution would mean something works as it should. One way of achieving that might be to offer those who got a boxed version and then find out they can't use it to get a free download of the same product. I doubt many people check your faq to see if your software can be installed before buying it since they simply take that as a given, at least I did but now I don't buy any of your software any more before I know how this will be handled.
IMHO this only shows that using copy protection is a bad idea in the first place since things like this can happen then and it leads to frustrated customers. Plus, it only punishes those who buy software legally while those who find a way to outsmart the copy protection can play freely without being affected by such things. I doubt there will ever be a copy protection that will not be outsmarted by those who really try so it's pretty useless to include it.

No, I did not and since I entered my questions through your web site and not by e-mail, I don't have a copy of it any more. I'll e-mail a link to this discussion to orders and then someone can get back to me through e-mail.

Couple of things

We'll make sure we can do all we can to help you in this situation, it seems there's an issue with outgoing emails from support but as soon as we receive your email we#ll be in touch to help and if it's a download of that product you require to get the products to work we'll be able to help.

The boxed products have been in the shops for many years now. Windows 10 was only released in July of last year so we have no way of knowing what trouble and what issues that will cause for our products. Each new release of an Operating System is a challenge for us and brings a ton of extra work but where we can we try our best to get products working, offer solutions and as much assistance as we can for customers.

I do hope we can help resolve these issues for you and of course going forward it's totally your prerogative whether or not you buy any further products from us again. 

Have a good evening.

Posted By: JLawrence
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 7:09pm
I have to agree wholeheartedly with Phyllo.  If Just Flight will not install to Windows 10 because of a silly code for copyright protection, and you can't come up with a solution, it's just poor form.

Posted By: Rich
Date Posted: 26 Nov 2017 at 8:02pm
We did try to get Microsoft to re-write some sections of their Windows 10 code. Unfortunately they weren't receptive. 
The unfortunate fact is that we developed something for the current version of Windows, and then the platform was changed post-release of our product. It's very hard to either anticipate or fix those sorts of issues. 
All we can say is that if you are affected, speak to our customer service people and see what we can do. 

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Just-Flight/15266573498" rel="nofollow">

Print Page | Close Window