Forum Name: Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
Forum Description: Discussion area for Traffic titles
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=28353
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 11:00pm

Topic: Traffic 2005 What's Wrong
Posted By: 1up2down
Subject: Traffic 2005 What's Wrong
Date Posted: 18 Oct 2015 at 1:16am
I downloaded and installed Just Flight Traffic 2005 and was looking forward to seeing more aircraft on my Hearthrow airport. However no matter which flight simulator I tried installing it into, FS9 or FSX I did not see any difference other than in FSX which showed 3 additional things had been added to aircraft selection. A control tower, follow me vehicle and Spotty, all of which when selected are placed at the end of the runway waiting to take off.

So can anyone tell me what's wrong and how to use this add-on.

I am still using XP at the moment but recently upgraded to a better motherboard, memory and faster processor. So I was wondering if this could be a compatibility issue and if I should go back to using my old motherboard.

Replies:
Posted By: freddy
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 6:20am

You should refer to the manual for more information. The manual is a PDF file which should be installed on your computer. There will likely be a shortcut to it in your START menu, or you can find it in the Just Flight folder.

-----------------------------------

When selecting the Control Tower, Spotty, or the Follow Me car, you need to click on them and then also choose a GATE or RAMP parking spot. If you do not do that, then the Flight Simulator will default to placing them at the end of the active runway. This is the same behaviour as when you choose to fly the Cessna or any of the other default planes ... if you just select them and press OK, then they will load up at the end of the active runway. But, if you choose them and ALSO select which GATE or RAMP that you want them on, then they will appear at that Gate or Ramp spot.

The idea then, for the Control Tower and Spotty, is for you to use the SLEW mode function of the Flight Simulator and "slew" (move) them to the location on the airfield where you want them to be. Enable slew mode, press the appropriate arrow keys to move them where you want them, then turn slew mode off. Once you have moved them to where you want them, use them to look around the airfield by using the options and keys as described in the user manual.

For the Follow Me car, you can use Ctrl-E to turn on the engine and then you can "drive" the car around the airport. Good fun!

As for planes ... these do not appear in the list of available aircraft that you can fly. The planes are AI planes which automatically taxi, take off, fly, land, and park at your airports ... you don't control them, the simulator does that for you. They populate the world and add to the realism. You should see everything from small planes, to business planes, to the big jets, all parked at your airports, moving, taxiing, flying, landing and, well, just doing their thing.

As mentioned above, all of this information can be found in the manual which should be installed on your computer and found either by a shortcut in your START menu, or in the Just Flight folder.

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 10:24am
Thanks for replying. I was beginning to think that the forum was becoming as dead as the interest in flight simulators.

It did not take me long to discover how to drive the follow me car around the airport. As for the control tower and spotty, I cannot see how they could possibly add to the realism of the flight simulator. The reason I installed traffic was to try and produce more realistic activity at busy airports like Heathrow. The problem I have is that I see no additional aircraft, just the usual couple of planes approaching for a take off. Touring the airport itself I see no additional aircraft either.

Heathrow is one of the busiest airports in the UK with planes coming and going every few minutes. I did not expect to sit there for hours and see virtually no activity at all. My guess is that the hundreds of aircraft, and plane filled airports mentioned in the description must be limited to other countries.

I am not at all surprised that the interest in flight simulators appears to have died over the years. So boring to be practically the only plane around other than those little red names of aircraft flying around. Not something you would see in reality.

Posted By: woggissair
Date Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 4:33pm
Sounds like your settings could need adjusting.check the aircraft density settings in the traffic tab of the fsx settings page, 2005 traffic. manual recomends 60% I have mine at 20% and I get plenty of a/c. as Freddy says it's all in the manual, hope you sort your problem it's a great programme I'm using Traffic X I can't get on with 360.

-------------
Eric

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 11:34pm
I have tried several settings but at just below 50%. I count count only 5 aircraft at Heathrow airport all parked up, hardly anything taking off and landing. Thinking it may be better in the USA I selected Hartsfield-Jackson airport, one of their busiest airports but it was the same there.

Posted By: RayM
Date Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:49am
Sounds like this could be another example of an old FS9-type traffic BGL file lurking in the background?

-------------
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:48am
Yes, I agree with RayM. It does sound like you might have an older style .BGL still lurking around that could be causing a lack of traffic. Either that or maybe your FSX.cfg file has not been updated correctly by the installer.

With Traffic 2005, Europe is PACKED FULL of AI planes ... so many planes that whenever I flew in Europe when I was using Traffic 2005 (I'm using Traffic X these days) I always needed to turn the AI Traffic slider down in FSX otherwise my sim struggled to cope and my FPS suffered. Heathrow was certainly jam packed with aircraft. The gates should be full of parked planes. The taxiways should have constant movement. The runways should be extremely busy. USA as well. You should be seeing planes everywhere.

Here are links to two Just Flight FAQs: http://www.justflight.com/support/traffic-2005-boxed-only" rel="nofollow - Just Flight Traffic 2005 FAQ and http://www.justflight.com/support/traffic-x" rel="nofollow - Just Flight Traffic X FAQ .

Hopefully you'll find some information in these to get you going.

I know we are talking about Traffic 2005 here, and not Traffic X, but the Traffic X FAQ has some details about what to look for in FSX when you do not see any AI traffic. Specifically the topics entitled http://www.justflight.com/support/traffic-x/5f33feb" rel="nofollow - I am not seeing any AI after installing Traffic X and http://www.justflight.com/support/traffic-x/0832ad2" rel="nofollow - I don't see any AI traffic at all after installing Traffic X . Note that the Traffic X FAQ talks about FSX, not FS9, so be aware of that (especially be aware the downloadable tools in that FAQ are for FSX, not FS9). But, I'm hoping the information and topics in the Traffic X FAQ might give you some things to consider, check and investigate ... even if you're looking in FS9.

By the way, make sure your Traffic 2005 has been updated with the Service Pack 2 (SP2) patch. You'll find details about that in the http://www.justflight.com/support/traffic-2005-boxed-only" rel="nofollow - Just Flight Traffic 2005 FAQ . If you're not sure whether you already have SP2 installed, or not, then just download and install it over the top anyway. It won't hurt or break anything if you do.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 2:26pm
I originally brought Ultimate Traffic 2007 but after installing it found I could not even start it, instead I was getting error message saying, Run-time error '339': Component 'mscomctl.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid. So I returned that and brought Traffic 2005.

I have come to the conclusion that all of the problems I am experiencing with flight simulators may being caused by my upgrading my computer with a new motherboard and processor. After upgrading I noticed that I could no longer do a clean install of Windows XP and were getting scenery error messages from both simulators, area.038 not found on FS9 and area.115 on FSX.

As I was not having any of these problems before upgrading my computer, I have decided to rebuild a computer using the old motherboard and processor just to use for flight simulators. Hopefully this will solve the problem with Traffic 2005 as well.

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 3:06pm
I think the problem may have been solved. I was only adjusting traffic in the opening screen of settings, and just found out that what I really needed to do was go to Customize, select Traffic and adjust the settings there. After increasing the settings from 5% to 20% I notice a great improvement in the number of aircraft. Mind you, I have no idea yet if this has anything to do with Traffic 2007, it could just as easily been something I could have done before installing Traffic 2007. Either way I am just glad not to be the only aircraft around any more.

Posted By: RayM
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 4:24pm
Sounds like you may have solved your problems - well done.

-------------
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user

Date Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 12:33am

Posted By: woggissair
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 10:34am

There you go, I keep mine around 20%, go too high you get traffic hold ups taxying and take off. enjoy the programme. Tongue

-------------
Eric

Print Page | Close Window