Forum Name: Electra
Forum Description: Discussion area for Electra Model 10A
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=27301
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:10pm

Topic: Lockheed Electra bugs found
Posted By: Tobus
Subject: Lockheed Electra bugs found
Date Posted: 11 Sep 2015 at 10:22pm
My finds on this beautifull vintage aircraft. Some minor bugs i'd say.

- prop levers seem reversed, or labeling as such is (low rpm on dash when pitched full fine).
- taxi and landing lights go on using nav lights switch. taxi and landing lights switches inop.
- internal sounds could be better. wind rush seems way too loud compared to engines when on cruise speed
- radiostack unreadable from distance in VC
- weird shimmering of props when turning (annoying in the left hand corner window)
- flap and gear soundset seems to come straight from other Aeroplaneheaven aircraft (dc6, dc3)

other than that, she is modelled really nice and flies predictable too. Details of rivets, material, engines and exhausts are superb. I'm sure these kinks will be ironed out...

Replies:
Posted By: Adamski_NZ
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 5:06am
I'm never really sure whether to post bugs here or in the Support area.

Though I love this aircraft, I've found lots of bugs:

1) FSX: Elevator trim appears linked to the aileron axis. Checked all my axis assignments - no problem there. Works fine in P3Dv2.

2) FSX/P3D: Sound appears to come and go when switching views.

3) FSX/P3D: ILS needles inoperative. Is it even implemented? Manual suggests it is.

4) FSX/P3D: The VOR/ADF needles in both the main gauge and radar gauge are barking mad. They spin randomly (particularly on approach) and never really point to the actual NAV beacons. Something seriously messed up with the code here, IMHO.

5) FSX/P3D: Landing lights blink/strobe. Maybe that's correct <?>.

6) P3D: Lights need to be toggled back and forth a few times via the VC before they work properly.

Other than the trim/aileron axis mix-up, I don't think any of these are show-stoppers - and they certainly don't spoil the overall enjoyment of the aircraft. Let's hope we get a patch soon!

Adam.

EDIT: Can't log a support ticket as the system appears to be broken.

Also - there needs to be an Electra-specific area here in the forum ;)

-------------
http://www.nzfsim.org/" rel="nofollow">
www.nzfsim.org

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 9:15am
Adamski, having done some further flying I can underline your findings too.

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 10:44am
Originally posted by Tobus Tobus wrote:

Adamski, having done some further flying I can underline your findings too.

Thanks for that. I'm often scared of posting comments about bugs in case it's either just my system or because I'm doing something dumb!

Adam.

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Posted By: Cellinsky
Date Posted: 12 Sep 2015 at 12:00pm
Tobus, Adamski, I second what you have found. Navigation Needle is confusing. I only used Nav 1 so far, but was way off course in the end. Maybe a feature to simulate unreliable equipment back in those days?

Flightmodel seems to be accurate. Lots of power. Crosswind Landings are a real challenge. I have yet to  master it. One-wheel-landings only so far...Embarrassed Steering on the ground is very easy. I thought planes of that decade used mainly breakes for steering and had  no steerable tailwheels. Anyone knows for this plane? 

Overall its a fantastic plane and highly recommended. Very immersive and I love it. A true work of art. Well done AH.

Marcel

Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 3:40am
I get the impression that the code for the needles is confusing ADF and VOR.

A couple more to add to the list:

Spelling on the instrument panel "LITE" should be "LIGHT". Even though "LITE" is undoubtedly USA-English, you'll find if you research Electra panels that UK/English "LIGHT" was used.

Talking of lights, the avionics lighting rheostat only works for the small DME indicator. All other instruments remain pretty dim at night.

Adam.

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Posted By: Ala13_Kokakolo
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 7:19pm
Yes. I confirm all the before mentioned bugs. Also the automatic pilot knows only turns to one side when using the mouse wheel.

Not a bug, but some sounds to switches and windows, and the possibility of tone down the volume of the engines, will be welcome.

-------------
Ala13_Kokakolo

Posted By: piperpiper
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2015 at 9:15pm
This aircraft is very well modelled and rendered. It's an iconic plane that shouldn't lack in P3D or FSX, thank you for the implamentetion!
But I think that there are a lot of little and big (some bigger) bugs:
Please tell me if I am wrong.
The ADF and the VOR needles are a bit odd, I think that they actually point to the correct direction, but are reversed.
The RPM are too low, they does not rise above the 25-6 RPM at maximum power
The Carburator Head Temperature is steady at 300 
The Carb Air Temperature is steady just above the 0
The pilot Light switch does not work
The panel light dimmer works only for the DME
Sounds are a bit low outside.

Kudos for the beautiful plane, but it's a shame don't make it perfect!

Bye

Posted By: donnybalonny
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 8:34am
First of all, thanks for making your bug reports public. I think it halps us decide wheater to buy or not.

I was/am very interested in this addon, but the amount of bugs being reported here and at the SOH, makes me wonder if I should wait or maybe skip this one. 

I just cant get it into my head why this addon was put on sale with all the bugs. The day after, a huge amount of bugs were reported. Is AH/Justflight not doing any beta testing? It gives Aeroplane Heaven/Justflight a poor image.

The plane looks very nice and thats good, but the funcionality is very important and for many of us, flying a bird like this one is a lot about navigating old-school, so the instruments should be working the way they are supposed to do. 

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 9:16am
@donny

Don't let these reports put you off. It's still a great add-on - and at a reasonable price.

As I'm the most frequent poster in this topic, I feel a bit "responsible". I've been a JF customer for a *long* time and have found them to be quite responsive to bug reports. However - I normally manage to be able to log these issues via their ticket system. For some reason, there's a problem with this at the moment so a lot of it has gone public.

I'm not saying there's any need to cover things up, but sometimes show-stoppers get reported and sorted immediately - and don't end up going public at all.

I've beta tested a few sim products over the years (but never for JF) so I understand how sometimes even the blindingly obvious bugs get through. Sometimes, it's a very late change that fixes one thing and breaks things that were working fine up until then (who knows?).

I do agree, though, old-style instruments really have to work on aircraft like this. Dear old Amelia wouldn't have got far - and I dread to think where Ingrid Bergman would have ended up!

Adam.

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2015 at 10:33pm
I'm so sorry that my post could be in any way a reason to avoid this piece of art!
This Electra is really a beauty, well modelled, well textured, the flight dynamics are well done. It is the best electra 10E for p3d in my opinion and I am very happy having bought it! I am sure that we have forced them to release it a little before having completed the test, so we can help them to fix those little bugs we found. At this price, so well done in almost every parts, is a gift for us, enthusiastic fan of vintage planes simulation. Please accept my suggestion only for the purpose to make it ever better.

Posted By: ebgee
Date Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 1:07am
I'll echo everybody else's findings with one addition...  I also believe that the numbers on the magnetic compass are reversed.  Because of the way the magnetic compass works, the numbers should decrease to the right, and increase to the left... opposite of what might be expected.  

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 9:15am
Adamski_NZ and Piperpiper.
Dont feel sorry or responsable for anything. On the contrary, I am very glad that you wrote what you did.
Not only does it help me and others take a decission but it also helps develloper and publisher when it comes to make a service pack or patch.
Hopefully, it also makes them realize that they should do a better beta testing.

I will buy this one. Maybe later this week, but most probably when the worst of bugs have adressed. I will then accept a slightly higher price.

Date Posted: 15 Sep 2015 at 12:51pm
While the bugs are numerous, none of them are showstoppers. I'd go for the reduced price. I doubt JF/AH will wait very long in bringing out a patch. Most of these should have been known when it got released, right?

Posted By: Midnight Music
Date Posted: 16 Sep 2015 at 1:42am
I've seen all the above bugs as well and I know they'll get fixed. It's a terrific package and very addictive. Another little bug, clicking the map view sometimes crashes the sim. It's not AHs fault, it's been an old bug with the map views since FS9.

Lee

Posted By: Martyn
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 9:48am
Thanks for all of the feedback Thumbs Up

The developer is currently working on a service pack to address any issues that have been identified. 

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Posted By: medwyn
Date Posted: 18 Sep 2015 at 8:27pm
Excellent add-on, love to fly it!
I have a couple of additions for the list, none of them vital (and I may be wrong anyway):
- The turn coordinator does not move vertically along the pitch (does it have to?) but shows the banking correctly
- slowing down with this bird without flaps and gear down is nearly impossible :) It soars miles long without loosing speed in a mild descent of 500 fpm like it has no weight or drag to face. (Again, maybe that's how it should)
- lowering flaps makes no aerodynamic effect (does not increase the pitch), only speed difference.

Thank you for this great aircraft!
Peter

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 4:19pm
Hi

Has anyone tried to use the autopilot on the Electra?

I have the problem that both the heading and the pitch will only go one direction. With the heading thats annoying, because I have to go a full compas scale in order to change heading. 
With the pitch, its a serious problem because you can only go down and never up ar back again.

Is this a bug or me being stupid?

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 4:26pm
I have that problem too. I also think the RMB/LMB and scrollwheel functions aren't entirely consistent throughout.

Let's hope the patch fixes all that!

Adam.

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Date Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 7:45pm
I must admit that I´m impressed with this addon.
I´m impressed with the amount of bugs that it has.  Why was it released like this? Is it so that AH/JF dont care about their image? 

I know now that I shouldnt have bought it until its been fixed

Date Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 12:15pm
The solution for the Autopilot is to right click. the heading and pitch.

Posted By: JNS
Date Posted: 25 Sep 2015 at 11:11pm
Hi.  Any news on when a patch will be coming for the Electra?

Thanks,
Jef

Posted By: Merlin59
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2015 at 10:45pm
Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the VOR needles are a little wonky. I thought I was losing it. Fix this and you've got a very nice vintage airplane here. Some other small issues but not many. Any ideas as to when a patch might be coming? :-)

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2015 at 5:47pm
I can confirm that the ADF needles point backwards. The NAV needles seem to be more or less working. This may not be a bug but how on earth do you use the compass on the top nav gauge for anything useful? I may not be doing something right but it always points in the same direction. As I said it may be me as I'm learning VOR navigation. It just seems very different here. Also the cyl. head temps hit 300 and just stay there no matter what. I hope that isn't normal! Love the aircraft and the bugs while many aren't killers. But I like to fly by the book and this makes it very hard.Surely some of these fixes shouldn't be that hard to patch. They're not that serious.

Posted By: prokopiv
Date Posted: 04 Oct 2015 at 10:46pm
Does anyone know how to get the nav hold button on the autopilot to work?

Posted By: ebgee
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 7:14pm
Updated today... and most issues are fixed.  The magnetic compass, however, still operates backward.  It shows the proper heading, the dial just spins opposite what a real magnetic compass would.  I can live with it... it just feels weird to me.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 8:03pm
Thank you to the developers! It's way better then before, unfortunatly the most important fix lacks: ther props don't rise at maximum power, they at 25/2600 rpm, it's too low.
After that Pilot window does not open entirely like the copilot does.
The Carb Air Temperature is steady just above the 0.
The pilot Light switch does not work.
The panel light dimmer works only for the DME...
Maybe for a future update?

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 8:17pm
Where are you all getting the update from? I don't see anything here on the JF website.

Lee

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 8:19pm
You need to redownload the file from Just Flight's site. Just like you did when purchased.

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 8:45pm
Thanks! Odd that JF didn't send me an e-mail notification...oh well.

Lee

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 9:20pm
Actually they send it to me!

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2015 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Midnight Music Midnight Music wrote:

Thanks! Odd that JF didn't send me an e-mail notification...oh well.

Lee

Your welcome. I haven't gotten it yet. Busy with real life and all. They sent me an email on how to get it. My guess is you would finally get one as well. Happy flying. I wish it would fix the carb heat management but this is a definite start. Hope it doesn't monkey with the flight dynamics as I already liked it.

Posted By: medwyn
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 12:05am
Thank you for the patch and on top of the nav fixes the extra view of the right seat is great! :)
A few thoughts on the update:
- the new turn and bank indicator is very relaxed, the needle moves only a tiny bit in both directions no matter how hard I bank the wings :)
- the attitude indicator still does not show the pitch: it stays just below the horizontal line regardless of the aircraft attitude. But banks properly.

Thank you again, this is my fav add-on of all times!

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 1:19am
Thanks, JF, for the update! I got the notification email from them and duly re-downloaded/re-installed.

The good news is that the NAV/ADF needles thing is much improved. The bad news is that it in P3D, the top gauge still spins around quite often for no reason.

Does the localiser/glideslope deviation dial at bottom right do anything for anyone?

Adam.

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Posted By: thefrog
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2015 at 11:26pm
I can't get the ILS to work. Everything else seems to be ok. (P3D v2.5)

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 2:20am
I can't figure it . Everything seems much improved but the ADF needle is still backwards. I flew from PFYU to PAFA , set the ADF and it pointed away from PAFA the whole trip. It was very accurate, just backwards. As I said go figure. Everything else though is much better. CHT no longer hits 300c and just stays there. You can actually manage it now.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 3:26am
Originally posted by Merlin59 Merlin59 wrote:

I can't figure it . Everything seems much improved but the ADF needle is still backwards.

Confirmed here.

Also, some other niggles: up/down mouse scroll wheel operation is inconsistent throughout. Works fine on the HSI knob, but in many places the wheel only decrements - regardless of which way you scroll it.

@medwyn - have you spotted the "sensitivity" dial below the turn & bank indicator? Maybe yours defaulted to some weird setting. My indicator seems to work fine (in P3D).

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Posted By: mnowinski
Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:34pm
First, it's difficult when posts concerning FSX and P3D are made to the same topic thread.

I'm using FSX and still have the same issues:

1. ADF needle pointed 180 deg opposite.  It should point directly to the NDB.
2. The needles in what appears to be an ILS Glideslope/Glidepath gauge never move, even with freq. set correctly and aircraft on the Glideptah and on the Glideslope.  This was tested using another aircraft that worked correctly.
3. The panel lighting still goes way too dark in the shadow when aircraft heading is changed.  While the shadow option is a nice piece of eye candy, if it doesn't work well, it should be removed.

Sorry for the negative reply

-------------
Mike

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2015 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by Adamski_NZ Adamski_NZ wrote:

Originally posted by Merlin59 Merlin59 wrote:

I can't figure it . Everything seems much improved but the ADF needle is still backwards.

Confirmed here.

Also, some other niggles: up/down mouse scroll wheel operation is inconsistent throughout. Works fine on the HSI knob, but in many places the wheel only decrements - regardless of which way you scroll it.

@medwyn - have you spotted the "sensitivity" dial below the turn & bank indicator? Maybe yours defaulted to some weird setting. My indicator seems to work fine (in P3D).

It's also there in FSX, but I see nothing change when I click on it or use the mouse wheel on it.

-------------
Mike

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 9:50pm
I got the update and it fixes a lot. There are still a few things, my landing lights don't turn off. Anyone else notice this?

Lee

Date Posted: 15 Oct 2015 at 11:04pm
The lights are completely bonkers in P3D. I know there are problems with lights in P3Dv2.5, but most of my other add-ons/lights seem to work fine - even if they're not P3D-specific models.

1) Taxi lights switch: either the switch position or the tooltip is incorrect.
2) Can't turn off strobes independently.
3) Can't turn off landing lights independently.
4) Taxi lights and/or landing lights have a strobe effect unless lights are cycled using the "L" key.

I haven't re-installed it into my FSX as there seem to be so many bugs still.

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Posted By: Badger
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 10:10pm
Hi all

I hesitate to mention this as I don't know if it's an Electra thing, or simply one of FSX's .... features. :)

I'm flying a multi session flight from Greenland to Canada and every time I reload my latest save, my fuel cock levers have been moved off the "main" position where I left them. 

Badger

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 2:11pm
Hi, any news for us?

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 3:47pm
The developer should be providing us with an updated build on Friday, so hopefully we'll be in a position to release the update sometime next week.

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 3:57pm
I am wating on this and a update for the Fokker 27. Will we be emailed when it's available? Sorry for asking about about both planes here but since it's tbe same question didn't think you'd mind.:-)

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 5:30pm
Thank you Martyn! And thanks to the developer

Posted By: andresico
Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

The developer should be providing us with an updated build on Friday, so hopefully we'll be in a position to release the update sometime next week.

THis was 3 weeks ago. Any news?

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 11:07am
I was wondering that too. I've just installed P3Dv3 and was holding off with the Electra until the update came out.

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Date Posted: 28 Nov 2015 at 3:17pm
More news about the update would be nice. Love this plane, hope it hasn't been forgotten! :-)

Posted By: andresico
Date Posted: 29 Nov 2015 at 9:55am
I havent used the plane since  I bought it and that was week 1.
I installed it, deleted it, installed 1.01 which wasnt much better, deleted it and now I hope that soon it will be ready to be used.
If I use unfinished AC addons, I get tired of them before they are fixed. Ouch
I would very much like to like this AC, but Justflight/Aeroplane Heaven makes that a difficult thing.

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 11:13am
Originally posted by andresico andresico wrote:

Originally posted by Martyn Martyn wrote:

THis was 3 weeks ago. Any news?

Apologies for the delay. The last few fixes arrived yesterday and the installer has been created. We are just waiting on the updated manual to arrive from the designers and then we will be releasing it.

Quote I am wating on this and a update for the Fokker 27. Will we be emailed when it's available? Sorry for asking about about both planes here but since it's tbe same question didn't think you'd mind.:-) 

Yes, you will be contacted by email about the Fokker 27 and Electra updates when they are released.

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 12:55pm
Yay! Thanks for the update, Martyn!

Adam.

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Date Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 4:17pm
Apologies for the delay. The Electra service pack 2 is now available -  http://www.justflight.com/support/electra-model-10a/a1807fc" rel="nofollow - http://www.justflight.com/support/electra-model-10a/a1807fc

• ILS indicator fixed
  • Optional increased VC lighting intensity added (see notes below)
  • Aircraft.cfg descriptions added
  • Taxi lights fixed
  • NAV and RMI gauge logic adjusted
  • ​NAV and RMI gauge rotation animation fixed
  • Altimeter barometric pressure animation fixed
  • ADF needle direction fixed
  • ADF radio updated to allow decimal KHZ to be changed
  • Turn indicator fixed
  • Whiskey compass east/west markings fixed
  • PDF manual updated

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Posted By: paradoxagi
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 2:12pm
I found that the RPM gauge does not respond directly to my throttle input, instead the pressure gauge on it's left does. The rpm is stuck at about 2300 and if I give more trhottle it does not increase. It seems to me as if the gauges are flipped. Is this as intended? Or is it a bug?

I am new to flight sims and really don't know.

Posted By: ThomasAH
Date Posted: 02 Jul 2016 at 9:57pm
Not sure about the Electra, but this could be correct.

Date Posted: 03 Jul 2016 at 4:51am
Originally posted by paradoxagi paradoxagi wrote:

I found that the RPM gauge does not respond directly to my throttle input, instead the pressure gauge on it's left does. The rpm is stuck at about 2300 and if I give more trhottle it does not increase. It seems to me as if the gauges are flipped. Is this as intended? Or is it a bug?

I am new to flight sims and really don't know.

It's correct. The gauge on the left monitors engine [manifold] pressure, whilst the one on the right shows the actual prop/revs speed - which is determined by the pitch setting of the propellers. You'll soon get to know all ths (we all started somewhere!!!).

If you have a fancy joystick, you can map a seperate axis for propeller pitch (as well as maybe mixture).

Adam.

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Posted By: paradoxagi
Date Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 1:32pm
Thank you for the infos... I'm getting into the stuff slowly... Now I have to get this propeller pitch done. And indeed, my joystick's got an unused axis, so I can assign pitch to it. :-)

One more question regarding the electra. In the dark the left artificial horizon does not show the horizon. Is this because the instrument is working visually in this plane? And without light, there is no horizon? Or did I miss something?

Date Posted: 04 Jul 2016 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by paradoxagi paradoxagi wrote:

In the dark the left artificial horizon does not show the horizon. Is this because the instrument is working visually in this plane? And without light, there is no horizon? Or did I miss something?

Looks like a bug to me!!! The R.H. gauge displays properly.

The horizon line is there ... just ... but it's dark grey - and almost invisible. Also - it doesn't correspond with/align to the other two instruments: it's offset vertically a little.

Adam.

-------------
www.nzfsim.org

Posted By: Ramjett53
Date Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 9:38pm
I recently...as in a few days ago...purchased this wonderful aircraft to use in FSX. For the life of me I cannot get any display in the DME gauge in front of the copilot and I do not see one a gauge in front of the pilot. I have turned the gauge on and it makes no difference if I select N1 or N2, neither choice displays a distance. I have verified and confirmed that I was on the correct frequency of a VOR with DME and the NAV needle pointing directly at the VOR (as well as the aircraft flying directly to it.

The one I chose was the Boise VOR, BOI, and the needle started tracking the VOR about 150 miles out to the best I could estimate, yet no matter how much closer I got the DME gauge never lit up. Yes, it was on and yes, I had the right NAV system selected.

I saw in this thread one tiny reference to using the instrument light dimmer dial and it would appear, but either I am using the wrong switch or that doesn't work for me.

Also, as an aside. Is there any way that any one knows of to "add" the Bubble Sextant to the panel as a "popup"? I really became interested in this aircraft after reading some history about Amelia Earhart's flight in 1937 and would like to duplicate her route. That will be near impossible without a sextant, which is available at AVSIM and does work in both FS2004 and FSX.

Randy

-------------
Randy Tyndall

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2016 at 10:03pm
Haven't flown this plane in awhile. Far as I remember though the dome gear works. Are you sure that BOI is dme equipped? I am probably telling you something you know but not all VOR's are dme equipped. If I get time and the chance I'll check the plane and the VOR and tell you if mine works.

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 12:24am
I just checked FSX Accel version and the Boise VOR, BOI, is listed as a VOR?DME.

I just checked my Electra and the DME works fine with BOI feq tuned to either Nav1 or Nav2,  Did you check to make sure the DME radio was turned on, and tuned to N1 or N2?

I'm not sure what the range of the DME transmitter on the ground is.  It might not extend out as far as the VOR signal.  Something to check.

-------------
Mike

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2016 at 4:13am
Thanks for the reply Mike,

Boise VOR range is 195nm, but I could not find anywhere that said what the DME range was. Doesn't matter, I tracked it all the way to Boise and even at 10 miles I had the signal, the needle was pointing, but nothing in the DME window, just a black screen. Made double sure both NAV Radios were tuned to 113.30 and tried both.

Yep, I had the DME gauge turned on and tried N1, N2, and even Hold, cycling back and forth.

Have a friend who bought the aircraft the day before I did. He said his does display a distance, but only sporadically. In his case not sure which VOR he is using and line of sight may be an issue in his case...sounds like it. In my case, the Snake River Plain is relatively flat where I was flying and I could pick up both the VOR and DME signal in the default Cessna 172 at 100 miles easy at only 7000' MSL. In the L10A I was at 10,500 feet and when I flipped the DME Ident switch at the top of the radio stack I got the morse for the DME, but still no display in the DME Window.

Puzzling.

Randy

-------------
Randy Tyndall

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:23am
Still haven't got the DME to work no matter what I try. Had another oddity happen today flying from Tucson to New Orleans.

Somewhere west of Austin, TX the engines both died. I hadn't been paying attention and both engines were getting fuel from the left wing tank. This confused me because shortly after takeoff I had switched both the left and right fuel selector to AUX and both switched were still in that position, yet the right main was at 98% and the AUX (Center) tank was at 98% and the Left main tank was...obviously...dry.

I could not get the engines to relight no matter what tank and xfeed configuration I selected so I dead sticked...she glides very well without power by the way...into a farmer's field and then tried repeatedly to restart the engines. Nothing I did would get them to light.

I reloaded the aircraft and tried different fuel switch configurations and it worked as expected. AUX selected drew from the center tank, left main/right main drew from left and right wing tanks, and left main/right xfeed drew from the left only.

I do know this. Shortly after takeoff when I made the fuel tank switch to AUX I did the left one with a right click from LEFT MAIN to AUX. When I did the right side I also right clicked and turned the fuel selector off. The engine started to die and I immediately left clicked twice...very quickly...to the AUX position. Is it possible somehow the addon thought I left clicked three times to XFEED, the only configuration I could discover drew only from the left wing? I know for a fact the selector was on AUX though.

Randy

Edit: I have solved, I think, the fuel selector issue. For years I have followed the "Load the default Cessna" rule when using payware and then switch to the payware. When I did that it ran fine on LEFT MAIN/RIGHT MAIN drawing fuel from the respective tank to engine consumption, but as soon as I switched to AUX it began feeding both engines from only the LEFT MAIN. No amount of selector changes would stop that configuration. However, if I loaded the L10A directly at the beginning of my session the tanks made the appropriate selections and I could move back and forth between different configurations including XFEED.

-------------
Randy Tyndall

Print Page | Close Window