Forum Description: Discussion area for F27 Friendship
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=27293
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 12:17pm

Topic: RPM settings
Posted By: theophile
Subject: RPM settings
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 12:36am
Hello,

Manual says take-off and climb 15000 RPM,cruise 14200 RPM.Yet both these values
are in the redline area of the RPM gauge.Is this correct?

Replies:
Posted By: Merlin59
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 5:39pm
I think that seems to be a combination of both engine rpm's added together. Silly but that's what it seems like to me. I'm sure somebody knows more about it than me though. Seems if both engines were at 15000 rpm's they would take off and leave the plane! Or blow up and neither is good! I've noticed that reasonable cruise settings would be both engines adding up to this number instead, If that makes sense.

Posted By: kevinh
Date Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 7:32pm
The Dart engine has a maximum continuous RPM of 15,000. So the manual is correct, it's the markings on the gauge that are wrong. Photos I've seen online of this style of F.27 RPM indicator don't show any red arc on the RPM indicator. They have a red line radial at 15,000 RPM. The green arc in the JF sim looks about right though.

Kevin

Posted By: The Vapor Trail
Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 11:11pm
I've been reading a f27 100 manual from the 1970's.

It specifies climbing and cruising at 13,800RPM with a cruise speed just under 180knots at 20,000ft. Do not exceed 200knots (if you do, use the fuel trimmers to adjust your speed, not the RPM).

FL200 is the preferred cruise level - above this places stress on the pressurisation systems while keeping the interior of the aircraft pressured to 8000ft (and definitely don't go above FL250 apparently). If headwinds are encountered, go to a lower flight level, down as far as the minimum cruise level of FL140.

Although the aircraft is capable of more, these figures have been arrived at as part of an airline practice to place minimum stress on the airframe and engines and keep repair costs low.

I have explained this information in more detail at : https://stormtossedclouds.wordpress.com/2017/08/23/fokker-f27-performance-engine-management-flying-tips-chart-for-fsx/

Print Page | Close Window