Forum Description: Discussion area for Traffic titles
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=24939
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 3:43pm

Topic: A Traffic does Taxi but never departs from Runway
Posted By: Mutz
Subject: A Traffic does Taxi but never departs from Runway
Date Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 1:51pm
Gents

finally I started to create my own flight plans.
Well, quit easy ACFT is taxing as expected, lines-up and that's it...
It never takes off.

Any Ideas?

(Scenery Landivisau from skydesigners, AI --> tried several aircraft, no change)

Thanks for any ideas.

Cheers Mutz

-------------
Mutz

...a Newbee

Replies:
Posted By: RayM
Date Posted: 07 Apr 2015 at 7:45am
If your new AI gets to the runway and lines up, then -

1. your schedule seems to working as it should, but

2. airfield scenery file must have a problem.

Have you tried -

3. disabling the new scenery file and using the FSX default, or

4. moving your scheduled AI to a different airfield?

-------------
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user

Posted By: freddy
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 3:31am
I agree with Ray. From what you describe, I think your AI is set correctly and working. The issue will most likely be with the actual airport (the AFCAD file).

For an AI plane to take off, it must be able to taxi from its parking spot, all the way to the hold short line, and then (once given clearance) taxi on to the runway and line up, before finally taking off. For it to do this, there are taxi and runway "links", all joined together in a continuous line, inside the airport file. These links go from each individual parking spot at the airport to the taxiway(s), from the taxiway(s) to the hold short line, from the hold short line on to the runway, and then all the way down the runway itself. If any link is missing, or is not joined up to form a continuous line, then the AI plane cannot get to where it needs to be and thus the AI plane's journey cannot be completed.

To be a little more specific, an AI plane takes off ONLY IF IT CAN GET ON TO THE RUNWAY at which point control of it gets handed over from ground control to the tower/ATC. It actually works very much the same way as it does with real world operation. This fact tells you that the actual missing link or broken link in your airport file is the one which goes from the hold short line and on to the runway. If a taxi link is missing or broken, the plane will never leave it's parking spot - it will simply not taxi at all (because it realises it cannot get to the runway hold short line). But if the link that goes from the hold short line and on to the runway is missing or broken, the AI plane will indeed taxi ... to the hold short line ... where it then waits to be "handed over" to the tower/ATC. But because it cannot get on to the runway, FSX doesn't hand control of it over to the tower/ATC, and, therefore the AI plane just sits there at the hold short line, waiting for instructions that it will never get (ie, it simply does nothing).

Therefore, based on this, and the fact you're saying your AI planes are taxiing and lining up but not taking off, it is a pretty fair bet that, for this airport, in the case of this particular end of the runway, the missing or broken link is the one that goes from the hold short line and on to the runway.

As Ray suggests, to test this, disable this scenery/airport and use FSX's default, or, try the AI at a different airfield.

Another simple test (for this airport) would be to manually change the WIND direction so that the AI planes use the OTHER END of the runway and see if they can take off from the other end. That would confirm the theory that your AI is set correctly, and it is the airport that has the fault (ie, a missing or broken link for the specific end of the runway that the AI planes do not or cannot take off from).

Date Posted: 08 Apr 2015 at 5:57pm
Ok Gents

Thanks a lot for your valuable hints.
However, I tried almost everything form changing acft to a new install of TrafficX etc. Also the Air Base I have made a fresh install.
I tried without activating the third party product, no joy as there is NO Parking position.

So I tried it in Dijon, the acft was there but did not move (original FSX Airport). --> is the time in TCC UTC or local?
I have also installed the whole stuff from ORBX (Vector, Global, Open LC Europe etc.), I do not know if these might have also an influence.
Is seems that I have to learn to deal with AFCAD Files to be able to reach my goal...
Is the AFX the right thing to do so?

Cheers Mutz

-------------
Mutz

...a Newbee

Posted By: freddy
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 2:18am
I have Traffic X and ORBX scenery (including Global). Using those, I am not having any problems with AI planes taxiing or taking off etc. So, no I don't think that's your issue here.

When it comes to dealing with AFCADs, there is a bit of a learning curve involved. As a newbie, it probably would be best if you don't try to go down that path just yet. But, that's up to you. I think you'll learn more and get an understanding about the AI planes and how they work if you start small and go back to basics.

Therefore, here is what I would suggest ... set up a single flight plan, for one plane, to go to and from two small default FSX airports. Once you get that to work, you'll know you're not doing anything wrong, which in turn will also help to work out some of the answers to your questions.

Here's how to go about this:

Find two small DEFAULT airports in FSX that are quite close to each other and that only have a few parking spots (no more than, say, five). Don't concern yourself with big jets. Work only with small planes such as the default Cessna, Beechcraft or Mooney. You know that the small planes will park at the small airport; whereas the big jets probably won't. So that's why you should work with just the small planes for now. Use Traffic X to set up a flight plan for your Cessna (or Beechcraft or Mooney) which goes from the first airport to the second airport and back again. Ideally, you should choose a plane type that does not already appear at this airport (this makes it easier for you to be sure that your flight plan is working as you won't get confused about whether the plane you're looking at is the one you set up, or if it is one that was already there before). In other words, if the airport already has Cessnas and Mooneys, then use the Beechcraft for your flight plan. It would be even better if the two airports that you have chosen DO NOT already have any AI planes set for them. After creating your flight plan in Traffic X, COMPILE. You MUST compile after adding new flight plans, or doing any edits, so that your changes will appear in the sim. After compiling, run the sim. Go to one of the airports. Change the sim time to the SAME TIME that you set for this plane in your flight plan. Look for your plane. If it is not there then change the sim time BACK one hour, and see if your plane is there. If it is still not there, then change the sim time FORWARD one hour, and check again. You may need to go back one or two or three hours, or forward one or two or three hours, checking each time to see if your plane is there. NOTE: THE COMPILE PROCESS ALSO INCLUDES A "RANDOMNESS" FACTOR, MEANING THAT EVEN THOUGH YOU'VE DONE EVERYTHING PERFECTLY CORRECTLY, AND COMPILED, AND CHECKED A RANGE OF DIFFERENT SIM TIMES, YOUR PLANE MAY STILL *NOT* APPEAR IN THE SIM AT ALL. The randomness factor is linked to the Traffic Percentage slider(s) in FSX's settings screens. To cater for this compiler randomness factor you can either RE-COMPILE and then re-run the sim to check for your plane again (you may need to re-compile a couple of times), OR (easier and better), just set the AI TRAFFIC SLIDER(S) in the sim to 100%. Setting the slider to 100% will absolutely guarantee you see the plane. But, keep in mind that later, when you set that slider back to the actual value you want, your plane may not show anymore. Just be aware of this "compiler randomness" thing.

OK, so, in summary ...

- Two small airports.
- Choose one of the small default planes.
- Make a flight plan for this plane from one airport to the other, and back again.
- Compile.
- Run FSX. Go to one of the airports. Check if your plane is there.
- If not, then set the sim time backwards a few times, one hour at a time, and check again. And then forwards a few times, one hour at a time, and check again.
- If still not, despite changing the time back and forward a few times, then either recompile and check again, or (easier), just set your traffic percentage slider to 100% which will guarantee that your plane appears.
- If yes, you see your plane, then read on ...

Now, once you see your plane at the airport, use the following trick to work out it's takeoff time. Set the sim clock AHEAD one hour. If your plane is still there at the airport, then set the clock AHEAD again one hour. Keep doing this until, eventually your plane ISN'T THERE at the airport anymore. When that happens, set the sim time BACK half-an-hour. Keep adjusting the sim time back and forward until you work out exactly what time the plane is there, and when it is NOT there. By doing this you can ZERO RIGHT IN on to the plane's exact take off time. Once you know that, you can then set the sim time back from that by five minutes ... watch, observe, and wait ... and you should soon see your plane taxi and take off.

If all of this works, then you know you are doing everything correctly.

This is a BACK TO BASICS method, using two small airports, a small plane, and a single flight plan. This will allow you to see if you are doing everything correctly and also to understand a little more about how Traffic X and the AI works.

I hope this is helpful.

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2015 at 9:17am
Freddy - you have put it in a nutshell!
I would just add the following.
Times in the Traffic X TCC scheduler are LOCAL.
It would make it easier to set up for 2 small airfields that use UTC+0 i.e. on Greenwich meridian, say in United Kingdom. This will help alleviate timing problems.
It also helps if you have SDK's installed so that you can use the "Explorer" to see which aircraft are doing what and where in FSX -however this might need some further explanation.
Good luck

-------------

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 4:32pm
Ok Gents

First of all thanks for your valuable answers and time! Not all Forums are like this Ouch
Ok I did exactly what you have said with EGSH and EGXH. A lot of planes, even moving but not the one I made a PLN, it was simply not there. (BTW I am not such a newbee, flying since at least 15 years Wink).

Ok what have I done. First a complete new installation of the TrafficX with the Pluspak and the Service Pack 1. Of course after a proper de-installation with a new start. Then I installed every Package and made each time a new start. So far so well.
Then I created my PLN, after having updated the Airports, updated the acft from CFG. etc. All what I can do before hand. Then I created traffic with the Traffic Generator where I had to eliminate some acft, as the program stuck on it (mostly complexe 3rd party acft, no problem understandable).

Then I made my PLN from A to B and back and added afterwards a flight with 30 Min of T/G.
this with an AI acft which worked before. Having done this and saved Smile I moved over to the compiler and compiled the PLN, rather the plans as all of them are compiled, as far as I understand.
Finally inside FSX "nada, null nichts, zero", my plane was not there (I checked with UTC and local time).
I read the manual and the tutorial, it is really not rocket science and it is very good made. Probably I am simply to stupid. 
Just one last question, what is the name of the file you need to give when you compile the PLNs ?
I gave normally TrafficX and overwrote it when I changed something.
I am unfortunately almost ready to give up....Confused

Cheers Mutz

-------------
Mutz

...a Newbee

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2015 at 4:42pm
BTW SDK is installed but I never touched it...

-------------
Mutz

...a Newbee

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 10:21am
Another suggestion to try and make this simpler.

Go to \TrafficX\presets\data\schedules\flight plans.
COPY an existing file (say TX_VFR_KIR.tcc) and PASTE back to same folder.
RENAME the new file to ZAS.tcc (a file of this name should not exist but is a valid name for a flight schedule file).
In Traffic X TCC Flight Plans, open ZAS.tcc and delete any plans that appear.
Create flight plans for 3 aircraft flying between EGSH and EGXH that do not do their first take off until 10:00 hours GMT. Just create an outgoing and a return flight for each of the 3 plans. Flights should be VFR with a 0 (zero) flight number. Enter different registrations for each plane, say G-AAAA, G-BBBB and G-CCCC but, enter 3 'spaces' after each registration - enter the letters then press Space Bar 3 times. (At this stage do not worry why I am asking you to do this).
Save these files when you have done.
Go to 'Traffic Movements'. Right click in the schedules list and pick 'Select none'. Scroll down and select ZAS.tcc. Click on Compile. Enter a name into the Save window - ZAS.bgl - and click on Save. The compile should take a few seconds.
In Windows Explorer, go to \FSX\scenery\world\scenery and check that you now have a file ZAS.bgl. If so, you are ready to go to FSX. If not, something is going wrong.
In FSX, go to EGSH at about 08:00 hours and you should see (hopefully) at least one of the new aircraft, which should have the registrations that you entered. (You could adjust your VFR settings under 'Display' to 100% just to be sure.)
Please advise if this is clear and understandable and, of course, if it works.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 12:40pm
Ok Ray
Your the man Big smile
It was understandable and....it worked.
I scheduled the acft at 12:00, 12:15 and 12:30
At 12:00 all 3 acft were there and they departed almost on time Clap

But what have I done wrong ?
How is my procedure for my next PLNs?

Maybe you want me to mail direct, up to you.

However thanks a lot having me guided already to this point.

Cheers Mutz

-------------
Mutz

...a Newbee

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2015 at 6:02pm
To add or modify existing schedules (as found in the Traffic X TCC Flight Plans section) you just click on the schedule that you want to modify (say TX_VFR_GBR), edit it as you have just done, SAVE it and go to Traffic Movements where you will compile what you have done.
I personally COMPILE all of the schedules into one rather large BGL file by selecting all of the schedules and saving to a file TRAFFICX.bgl. Others may do differently but I suggest you stick with this idea for now.
So when you did the compile, did you see the 'black box' appear and disappear fairly quickly? This is what should have happened. If you follow my above suggestion re compiling, the black box will appear and stay for quite a while but wait for it to disappear again.
When you have created the new TRAFFICX.bgl file, remember to delete all earlier versions of your compiles or you may finish up with multiple instances of the same aircraft at your airfields.
Once you have seen what happens when you compile it will seem all too easy when you come to do it again.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 8:53pm
Ok Ray

It worked according your description with the new TCC file.

But when start to do as you describe in your latest answer...nada, null, nichts, zero Ouch, btw this is the way I it done all the time.
Yes I have the DOS window coming up at the end of the compilation and the message "finished".

Another question, the type of the chosen acft, does it matter? I mean works it only with special AI acft or should I be able to use all in the Hanger?

However, I gave up for the moment, as I have not anymore the AI acft on the ramp.
Might an upgrade to Traffic 360 help? (I guess your not an employee of Just Flight Wink)

Really I do not know what's wrong, or I might be to stupid.
All other add on's (and there are many on my PC) work really good.

Cheers Mutz

-------------
Mutz

...a Newbee

Date Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 9:40am
Mutz,
so can I assume that you are now able to edit the Flight Schedules by going in to the "Flight Plans" section?
Also that, by using the "Traffic Movements" section, you can re-compile these schedules to a new BGL which results in you 'seeing' the new/modified traffic in FSX?

Are you aware that, if you have installed any other aircraft (other than the default FSX and Traffic X AI), you can add these to the Traffic X database and use them in your schedules? You do this in the "Fleet Database" section and use the "Update Aircraft from CFG's" button. Traffic X will scan your \FSX\Simobjects folder and add any new aircraft that it finds to the database. When you scroll down the "Aircraft Types", you should see any aircraft that have been added (they will appear at the bottom of the list). These aircraft can now be utilised in the "Traffic Movements" section.

I have no connection with Just Flight so I am happy to suggest that, if you do consider moving to Traffic 360, you will have to go through a whole new learning procedure as, although the basic structure of 360 is similar to Traffic X and there are updated and new aircraft, there are some differences in the way things have to be done that you may not want to attempt if you are having difficulties with Traffic X. Traffic X with all of its peculiarities will do the job for which it was intended, i.e. populate your 'FSX world' with AI, even if you cannot get your head round how it all works. Given time and perseverance I am sure that you will get there.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window