Print Page | Close Window

Windows 10 - Free to all...

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Chat
Forum Name: Just Chat - General Discussion
Forum Description: Forum for shootin' the breeze about subjects not relating to Flight Simulation or aviation
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=23905
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:30am

Topic: Windows 10 - Free to all...
Posted By: MartinW
Subject: Windows 10 - Free to all...
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 12:37pm
Even free for those using pirated versions!!!

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/tech-news/windows-10-upgrade-will-be-free-for-all-including-software-pirates-11363969435081

Quote Microsoft will upgrade all PCs running Windows 7 and 8 to the latest version of its operating system – even if the users are running pirated copies.

The software giant announced in January that it would be offering free upgrades to those running Windows 7 and Windows 8. But now the company is even planning on giving it away to those using it illegally in a bid to get users to invest in its related application, cloud storage and video conferencing products.

Speaking at the Windows Hardware Engineering Community summit in China, executive vice president of Windows Terry Myerson revealed that the next version of Windows would launch this summer and announced the upgrade plans.

"We are upgrading all qualified PCs, genuine and non-genuine, to Windows 10,” he told Reuters.

A spokesperson confirmed the news to technology website The Verge: "Anyone with a qualified device can upgrade to Windows 10, including those with pirated copies of Windows."

At the moment there’s no word about what ‘qualified’ means.

This is an unusual move from Microsoft - Windows XP was the first version of the OS to include a device activation key in 2001.

Part of the reason for the amnesty is to get more people using Windows legally, with the idea being that they will buy legal copies of future versions.

Microsoft also wants to make money from other services such as Office 365, Sky Drive and Skype.

Replies:
Posted By: wain
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 2:58pm
I had an email the other day from Microsoft telling me I had 2 devices that were elegible for an upgrade, this is true my Home built PC and a 7' HP tab, so I am guessing its something that is registered on win 8 8.1
Wayne

Date Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 3:13pm
It does say W7 eligible too Wain.

Not sure if that would apply to my W7. If it does, the only way I'd do it was via some kind of a duel boot arrangement. Given that W8 isn't too hot with FSX, that's the only way I'd do it.

Posted By: mike H
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

It does say W7 eligible too Wain.

Not sure if that would apply to my W7. If it does, the only way I'd do it was via some kind of a duel boot arrangement. Given that W8 isn't too hot with FSX, that's the only way I'd do it.

I am with you Martin on this one, I am still happy using W7.

Cheers Mike

-------------
In my eyes to Fly is more than Just Loving it.

It is a Passion we can all now Share within Flight Sim.

When in Doubt, Always go Around.

Regards mike H

Posted By: MarkH
Date Posted: 20 Mar 2015 at 7:00pm
Windows 7 is the best version of Windows Microsoft ever developed, I'm very happy with it.  My plan is to play with Windows 10 in a VM, hopefully that will work fine.

This upgrade path makes good sense for Microsoft.  They want everybody on the same page so the company can move forward releasing new products.  When their chief rival, Apple, gives away its office software and its OS X for free, this move from Microsoft was probably inevitable. 

A win win all round Smile

M.  

Posted By: allardjd
Date Posted: 21 Mar 2015 at 9:02pm
If a large corporation is giving something away or selling it well below the market expectation, pretend you're a fish and think "bait".  There's a hook in it, somewhere.

For Win10, MS wants you to buy (literally) into their cloud computing, paying a fee to use cloud-based apps and storage.  I'm sure Win10 will make using their cloud very attractive and easy, and may even make the old way of using a PC more difficult.  It will all be with the intention of driving us into their "subscriber" account books for a monthly, usage-based fee.

Recent examples of similar things are MS Flight and DG's FSX SE, where the initial rollout was incredibly cheap, but their intent was to hook you on future DLC.  

That's not to say it might not be a beneficial way to go, but go with your eyes open.  If the idea of fee-based cloud computing sounds like a good idea to you and you are not worried about privacy, security and down-the-road overall cost, then this may in fact be just what you want. In the final analysis, we may not have much choice.

-------------
John Allard

Date Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 2:24pm
The article I linked to...

Quote Part of the reason for the amnesty is to get more people using Windows legally, with the idea being that they will buy legal copies of future versions.

Microsoft also wants to make money from other services such as Office 365, Sky Drive and Skype.

Posted By: MarkH
Date Posted: 22 Mar 2015 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

If a large corporation is giving something away or selling it well below the market expectation, pretend you're a fish and think "bait".  There's a hook in it, somewhere.

A "Great Microsoft Conspiracy?" Confused

Or rather the once great Microsoft after years of miss management finally, under guidance from their new CEO, is adapting and aligning it's self more to the future of home computing.  An attempt to catch up with what the rest of the industry, Google and Apple have been doing for ages.

Better late than never I suppose.  BTW the Microsoft HoloLens.  I want one Tongue

M.

Posted By: CaptCosslett
Date Posted: 23 May 2015 at 7:03pm
Now why would I want windows 10? I can't get FSX to run on my windows 8.1 computer, so have to use my old computer that uses Vista

Date Posted: 25 May 2015 at 9:54am
Have to agree with you James.

Many of us do have multiple devices though. There's a laptop hanging around our house, a PC I use for the internet, my daughters Microsoft Surface... so I wouldn't be surprised if my son or daughter give it a bash on one of those devices. Simming PC... no thanks!

Date Posted: 26 May 2015 at 4:51pm
I wont be upgrading until I have to, however your statement regarding 8.1 is not correct, you may not be able to get it to work but I have been using it since I built this PC 18 months ago, I run FSXSE, P3D and have even tried but not used very often DCS. I have had no issues with it or any of my addons not working because of 8.1  my opinion is if you have win7 and it works then there is no need to change, if you buy a PC and you find  it has 8.1 it will work without any kind of magic, just my thoughts..
Wayne

Posted By: snave
Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 4:35pm
W10 is neither a nefarious attempt at blackmail, nor a wholly altruistic gesture. Clearly the intent behind the free offer is to get everyone on a level playing field, avoiding the need to support disparate OS's through and beyond their lifespan, costing umpteen squillions in parallel support and development for bug and security fixes. 

The secondary aim will be to sell `bolt on`modules that won't be free. A cross-platform common OS has interesting permutations and may be just what is needed to keep Apple at bay.

The third aim will be to pee on wains chips by making sure he `has to` upgrade... frankly, unless you know how to control Windows updates on your PC, your computer is already `infected` with the prep work for Windows 10 - MS have been burying it in the `non-optional` updates for several months now! Exclamation

Damn, we're back to conspiracy theories...Nuke

Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 6:03pm
so Simon are you saying that whilst we have systems whether it be win 7 or win8 that currently run our sims as we would like that somehow these will stop functioning?

I have never had an issue with upgrading to whatever they push out, most have always functioned but the changeover is usually over a long period of time, win7 and win8 will be supported for quite a while yet but when it comes to building my next PC I may have no choice but to buy win10 as that may be all that is available.

I agree with your 'bolt ons' we use office for our 'office' functions and that now is an annual licence or a monthly subscription, sadly everything seems to be going this way, mobile phones, tv channels etc have been like that for a while.

I dont mind the change as long as my sims (flight) and other games and saitek panels work, which I am sure they will even if they need a patch, similar to FSXSE and different versions of P3D. Unlike most I have win8.1 and it works fine for me...
Wayne

Posted By: snave
Date Posted: 27 May 2015 at 9:40pm
Not stop functioning, but you will be nagged to upgrade.
http://www.computerworld.com/article/2906810/microsoft-seeds-windows-7-81-pcs-with-windows-10-upgrade-nag-notices.html

Posted By: Alasdair M
Date Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 9:31am
As some say "there is no such thing as a free meal".

Print Page | Close Window