Forum Name: Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
Forum Description: Discussion area for Traffic titles
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=23820
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 12:53pm

Topic: Military AI Traffic
Posted By: tmansteve
Subject: Military AI Traffic
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 8:22pm
I have installed Traffic X Pluspak military 1. I have TrafficX but decided not to install it as i just wanted the military AI.

I found loads at one airbase (I can't remember the name) and looked at others only to find some at ST Mawgan but nothing at Coldrose etc.  Do i need to update the airbases or would i see more if i installed TrafficX?

Or do i have to make new AI Flight Plans for the AI?

Cheers

Steve

Replies:
Posted By: freddy
Date Posted: 07 Feb 2015 at 10:04pm
It seems that this question comes up often in these forums. With Traffic X, not every single airport in the world is populated with planes. The same applies for the Military PlusPak; not every military airbase is populated. I don't have the Military PlusPak mayself, but a common theme reading the forums seems to be that some of the largest military airports, and many which you would certainly expect to have planes, seemingly do not.

In short, installing Traffic X won't resolve this (other than to perhaps put CIVILIAN planes at some of those military airports). And, yes, to populate the airports you will need to make new AI flight plans for the AI.

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 11:15pm
Many thanks for your reply Freddy.  It only takes one answer to put you on the right path.

Now to learn something new

Cheers

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 8:39am

(Careful. Learning how to add/edit flight plans, and populate airports etc, can be very fun and quite addictive. Trust me, I know!)

Posted By: RayM
Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 11:25am
Freddy and Steve,

put me down as an addict.

Ray

-------------
A long time FSXA and Traffic X user

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 11:33am
Im getting a headache trying to sort out the most ideal software to do the job.  Haven't flown for a while so need to crack this asap.  Any pointers to the most ideal workable software for this?

I have tried AIFP ver2 & 3 but the manual is not very helpful. Watched some vidds on youtube but failed on the last hurdle.  Ive been thinking of doing a total re install of all my FSX stuff.  Could be a problem there.  Before i do, i would like to get the hang of this.

It's so interesting, and when it all comes right it could be fab.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 1:40am
Originally posted by tmansteve tmansteve wrote:

Im getting a headache trying to sort out the most ideal software to do the job. Any pointers to the most ideal workable software for this?

Well, considering this is the Traffic X forum. AND, considering in your opening post you mentioned that you had Traffic X ... I'd suggest, wait for it ... "Traffic X".

Traffic X does have some minor niggles, but, for adding/editing flight plans and populating airports, it works easily, effectively and well. It has the added advantage that you can IMPORT planes in to it (say you've downloaded some military AI planes that Traffic X or the Military PlusPack do not already have), and a neat repaint tool for adding new liveries or touching up existing ones. Admittedly it is a little out of date now (so may have some old liveries and/or defunct airlines), but, again, for what you want to do, it will get you there. (Besides, it provides the tools for you to remove or edit those old liveries and defunct airlines anyway.) Throw in the fact that you a are asking your question in the Traffic X forums, where you are likely to get some answers, and I'd simply say go with Traffic X.

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 9:53am
Originally posted by tmansteve tmansteve wrote:

Im getting a headache trying to sort out the most ideal software to do the job.  Haven't flown for a while so need to crack this asap.  Any pointers to the most ideal workable software for this?

I have tried AIFP ver2 & 3 but the manual is not very helpful. Watched some vidds on youtube but failed on the last hurdle.  Ive been thinking of doing a total re install of all my FSX stuff.  Could be a problem there.  Before i do, i would like to get the hang of this.

It's so interesting, and when it all comes right it could be fab.

Follow Freddy's advice and stick with TrafficX, it can give you everything you want - even though it has some deficiencies. You can populate your FSX world with all sorts of aircraft carrying out scheduled flights, VFR flights, touch-and-goes, etc.
It is easy to add all of your addon aircraft and airports.
Over the last month I have spent loads of hours sorting out a load of silly errors built in the supplied software but that is because I have become a stickler for eliminating things like Airbus A319's based in Canada doing 6000nm flights from Japan to South Africa! But you don't need to worry about this sort of thing if what you want is plenty of aircraft appearing on your airfields/airports.
If TrafficX won't quite do what I require, I use AIFPC to create the required flight plans - takes a while to get used to but also does the job of creating schedules.
Good luck.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 Feb 2015 at 4:49pm
I have tried to stay clear of Traffic X as it created all sorts of problems.  All i wanted was to add more military AI, and if there was a quick fix that would be great.  If I have too much trouble, I might have to revert back to Traffic X. I have been using WOAI for my Jets and didn't want to add more addons than I allready have.

OK guys. many thanks.  If I think of anything else, I'll be posting. Big smile

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 5:11am

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2015 at 6:13pm
Tried my Traffic X disk but it seems to have a problem. I had to buy a new SATA DVD drive and think it is throwing a wobbly with the disk.  Not going to buy another so might stick with what ive got.  Would like to know more about WOAI and getting their flight plans to work alongside the default aviation and my military AI from Just Flight shop.

Date Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 11:10pm
Something which comes to mind from me is this ...

I think WOAI uses the old style .BGL format. And, if that is indeed the case, then here's a point from the http://www.justflight.com/support/traffic-x" rel="nofollow - Traffic X FAQ :

======================================
I am not seeing any A.I. after installing Traffic X

The most likely cause for this is if you have previously installed another A.I. traffic program that uses an old style .BGL (the file that acts as a database for A.I. traffic movements) as FSX is only capable of supporting one of these files in the old format and it will disable any other traffic. Please try searching your FSX directory for anything that may have been left behind by a previous A.I. program.

======================================

Whilst you might not be specifically planning to run WOAI alongside Traffic X, the point about old style .BGL with new style .BGL is still something to keep in mind. I believe there are tools and utilities available for converting old style .BGL files in to the new format. I've never used or needed them so I am no help there. Google might be your friend with regard to that.

For any other information or tips on getting WOAI planes to work alongside the default aviation, an http://forum.justflight.com/search_form.asp?FID=9" rel="nofollow - ADVANCED search , in these forums, for posts from ANY DATE, using, say, WOAI as your search term, should yield some results about getting WOAI to work with Traffic X; which, in turn, might have information about tools and utilities, etc etc etc. For example, here's one post I found dated 20th June 2012 from Chuck Morse, in a thread entitled " http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19437&PID=155967&title=hoe-to-compile-woai#155967" rel="nofollow - How to compile WOAI ".

I do recall there were discussions on the WOAI subject matter here in these forums back in the day; not just that one post from Chuck ... so I'd suggest doing the search(es), going through the results, and finding the relevant information. Of course, also don't forget other forums will likely have information too (for example, http://www.avsim.com/" rel="nofollow - avsim.com and http://www.flightsim.com/" rel="nofollow - flightsim.com ).

Perhaps I'll be proved wrong, but, unfortunately, the Traffic X forums are all a bit quiet these days, so I'm not sure you'll get too many (if any) direct responses to your question here in this thread/post. That's why I'm suggesting the forum search here as well as a search of other forums. WOAI was (is?) very popular and the information should be out there. It's just a matter of finding it ...

Date Posted: 15 Mar 2015 at 12:29pm
Given this possible situation of an 'old-style' BGL file being in the AI system, I would try to use AIFPC to decompile and recompile to the later style.
Cannot guarantee success but may be worth trying.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window