Print Page | Close Window

Where has everyone gone?

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Chat
Forum Name: Real World Aviation
Forum Description: For the discussion of real Aircraft, General Aviation and Flying
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=22403
Printed Date: 23 Apr 2024 at 6:05pm

Topic: Where has everyone gone?
Posted By: chrisy
Subject: Where has everyone gone?
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 11:03am
I used to enjoy this forum a few years ago as it was very busy with interesting posts on aviation topics.  It now seems very quiet with few posts.  Is it just the real keen posters have moved on into the real world of aviation and forgotten the forum?  I know many were hoping to get jobs in commercial aviation and it would be nice to think they are now flying the world or controlling air traffic.

Why are there so few new posters to replace them?  Is it that interest in flight sim has waned so that there are fewer members accessing the site?

Chris

Replies:
Posted By: hifly
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 11:56am
It does seem quiet here compared to a year or so ago. It's maybe that the regular posters have exhausted topics such as global warming and other issues or have run out of war stories.

As someone pointed out here recently that people are using other forms of social media and being summer here in northern latitudes we don't spend time in front of a PC.

Perhaps I should ponder on a subject that would put a cat amongst the pigeons.

Mmmm...

-------------
Must Fly!

Posted By: MarkH
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 12:20pm
Do it Geoff  Evil SmileWink

Posted By: Jim
Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 5:15pm
Everyones gone to the moon.

Date Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 7:02pm
Well what else is there to do on a wet & windy Sunday afternoon than buy a new plane and learn, or rather try to learn how to fly it while the smell of the Sunday roast and the thought of a glass or two of wine has erased any idea of posting anything other than saying this.

Life is Good.   

-------------
Must Fly!

Posted By: johnep
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 7:30am
The young more interested in mobiles and tablets. PCs are becoming extinct and with them so is Flight Simulation.
Sorry, but a hard fact, A US forum often has no posts at all for days. The only hope is a cloud based FS
johnep

Posted By: MartinW
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 9:10am
There was a time when the forum was a hotbed of activity. Science technology, our pet cats, even politics and religion were debated. The forum was jam packed with posts.

Seems no one can be bothered to post anything interesting to debate. Gave it some effort myself, tried to post interesting stuff to debate, but no, very little response. Nobody else could be arsed, so I gave up.

I blame the aliens. I think they have been subverting us with their mind altering rays. Or perhaps the cybernetic life form, infamous for his controversial topics, known as Vulcan B2 [Pointy] has been called in for a full service.

Date Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by johnep johnep wrote:

The young more interested in mobiles and tablets. PCs are becoming extinct and with them so is Flight Simulation.
Sorry, but a hard fact, A US forum often has no posts at all for days. The only hope is a cloud based FS
johnep

Maybe that the market is biased to older folk. I always check the birthdays at the bottom of the forum and the demographic seems that middle to upper age groups are the majority. However there are a few younguns about and the market for add ons appears quite healthy. (Perhaps Just Flight would back that up).

I fear that a lot of kids are hooked on ever increasingly violent games, the consequences of that remains to be seen.

To be honest I have defected over to Mutley's Hanger, a non commercial forum, where the topics are more varied than here lately but out of loyalty to JF I check in here daily.

I do miss the MartinW versus Vulcan B2 mud fights and other contributors here but as I say I think we've used our best stories.

Now if JF would have a Suggestions for our next project thread, that might get the ball rolling.

Anyway. Who's going to Cosford in October?

-------------
Must Fly!

Posted By: Rich
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 1:51pm
It's all about social media these days. I spend more time on our Facebook page as we have 300,000+ fans and threads often have hundreds and hundreds of replies. Forums are getting a little long in the tooth unfortunately. That said, I check in here at least once a day and will continue to do so. 

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Just-Flight/15266573498" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: SkyFly
Date Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 4:50pm
I still check too but have been leaning towards R/C aircraft these days, wouldn't mind a section for that if other people are involved!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 5:51am
My son just bought one of these quadricopters with camera and return to base GPS. Viewing the transmission on his tablet he says really feels as though he is flying around his area. The Click prog on BBC shows how far we have gone.
johnep

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 9:31am
Quote I fear that a lot of kids are hooked on ever increasingly violent games, the consequences of that remains to be seen.

I wouldn't agree with that. Games are no more violent than they were in the past. Remember Soldier of Fortune from years ago? Arms being blown off, heads exploding. If anything FPS games are less violent, or at least, not as gratuitous. Play BF4, and there's very little gruesomeness.

Personally, I don't think there's any way a violent PC game will turn a rational human being into a violent monster. I've played violent PC games since computers were first available, and I'm not a violent nutter. Same applies to both of my kids, both non violent.

If you happen to have a predisposition for violence, then yes, a violent game may act as a catalyst, but then so could a violent movie, or anything else with violent content.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 9:34am
Quote I do miss the MartinW versus Vulcan B2 mud fights and other contributors here but as I say I think we've used our best stories.

I still chat to Pointy on Avsim, both in the forum and via Avsim PM. Not usually about climate change, or any of our other stuff, just about flight sim usually.

Quote Anyway. Who's going to Cosford in October?

Might do. But it will probably coincide with moving house, so will have to see. I'm lucky, in that both of my grown up kids love air shows.

Posted By: mutley
Date Posted: 12 Aug 2014 at 7:20pm
Cosford in October is a flight sim show Uncle Martin and I know you will not go as Mutley's have a stand there and will you have to show your puny body to the public!

-------------
http://forum.mutleyshangar.com" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 13 Aug 2014 at 1:27pm
Puny no, fat yes at the moment.

Posted By: Herky
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 12:57pm
Would love to get to an Air Show this year. Those two Lancs are a treat not to miss!

As to the OP.

Yes I think we are mostly older guys who look in on the forums.

As a Facebook(ache)/Twitter Luddite, I have no use for such social media. So I am still a Forum visitor.

As for the Flight Sim genre. We are in a minority nowadays.

The flight Simming I do is mostly with MCE and scripting procedure flows and checklists that conform as closely to reality as possible. So tend to look on Avsim more nowadays.

Seems to me the Flight Simmers fall into just a few categories:-

1. The Wannabees. These are mostly young guys and gals who want to become pilots and aspire towards the "dream" job. Which we all know is increasingly more difficult without ample dosh to undertake the training courses. Witness those TV shows with young pilots flying in the jungles of the world to rack up hours. The RAF has been shrunk by political maldecisions and is a shadow of its former self. The Fleet Air arm doesn't have any. Well we have Carrier on the slipway but no aircraft to fly from it since the political types sold all the Harriers! So the Flight Simulator is a good way to start the dream!

2. The Havebeens. Mostly, the older guys who have been pilots, either commercial or otherwise, or perhaps guys who have let their PPL lapse. These guys have a Flight Sim on their PC and occasionally fly for old times sake. I recently had a couple of ex 727/707 pilots who complemented my You Tube offerings! Nice to know someone watched and enjoyed the work!

3. The Flyers. These guys have current PPLs or Commercial Tickets and are sufficiently motivated to have PC's set up with the necessary software/hardware to keep their skills honed. With recent innovations in the aircraft simulation field its not difficult to see how a 737 sim can be a boon to guys wanting to keep current on type. I might also add that the wannabees find that the advanced sims offer good sim training, for that dream interview where they are offered simulation exercises! A friend of mine who flies the Embraer and was a 737 First Officer, has a 737 simulation set up in his attic. Just to keep as current as he can on his old aircraft.

4. The Couldhavebeens. Guys who embarked on other careers and could have/should have followed an avaition career. Now its too late, the atheroma has begun to build on those arteries and they can no longer apply for a dream job. Or the ex wife has taken everything and just left the bare bones, so the PC is all that's left.

Still nice to have an up to date PC with a selection of your favourite aircraft and take a trip every now and then. As someone once said the only thing that limits you in a Flight Sim is your imagination!

Best Regards
David

-------------
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

Posted By: dodgy-alan
Date Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 7:02pm
I'm still here, but not as often. I spend most of my time in Mutleys Hangar these days.

-------------
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 10:51pm
David, I agree with what you say regarding the demographic here, I know which category I fit into.

Al, I'll see you over at Mutley's. Get the beers in.

-------------
Must Fly!

Date Posted: 26 Aug 2014 at 9:35am
Quote As a Facebook(ache)/Twitter Luddite, I have no use for such social media. So I am still a Forum visitor.

I'm a science fan as you know. Twitter is great for me, following Nature, New Scientist, NASA, CERN, the LHC, and scientists like Brian Cox, Lawrence Kraus, results in links to lots of useful stuff. Not to mention all of the other individuals I follow that tweet the latest science news.

Even simply following news outlets like the BBC can be useful. You may find Twitter more useful than you thought.

Quote As for the Flight Sim genre. We are in a minority nowadays.

We were always a minority, but I don't think any more so than in the past. Avsim is still jam packed with topics.

Quote Seems to me the Flight Simmers fall into just a few categories:-

I don't fall into any of your categories. Just like aircraft, like PC's, like games, like simulation. Would never want a pilots licence.

Posted By: Matt N
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 7:37pm
Just Flight is still top the list on my favorites bar. Just need to wipe the dust off. Big smile

EDIT: Just seen my signature. LOL Martin - You still into that stuff?

-------------
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.

Posted By: chrisy
Date Posted: 27 Aug 2014 at 8:59pm
At least you've all emerged from the woodwork.  Nice to know there are still people out there.

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Matt N Matt N wrote:

Just Flight is still top the list on my favorites bar. Just need to wipe the dust off. Big smile

EDIT: Just seen my signature. LOL Martin - You still into that stuff?

Well, not so much knickers anymore.

I now have a very big, in fact massive, Seasonic 1050 watt PSU. As you would expect, the velvet bag that came with it is equally huge... so I use it for my spare 42G cup bras.

Date Posted: 04 Sep 2014 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by chrisy chrisy wrote:

At least you've all emerged from the woodwork.  Nice to know there are still people out there.

I was beginning to think it was like The Walking Dead, and that the "walkers" had got them all.

New series coming soon!

Ages to wait for Game of Thrones though. GRRR!!!!!

Posted By: 737Chris
Date Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 9:04pm
I can confirm that I am still alive.  My interest in aviation remains but unfortunately my interest in all things simulation waned somewhat.  I think I joined in 2009?  Some years back anyhow, and yes I remember it being more lively, but I guess I have my share of the responsibility for that because I'm seldom about on the forum these days.

Good to see some familiar names on this thread, though!

-Chris

-------------
Generic forum signature

Posted By: ShrewsburyFC
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 12:47pm
Im still here also! I mainly post over on Mutleys Hanger forum now though, that place is full of interesting posts & people!

As for Flight Simulations death I would agree with you it is becoming side lined. I think the main problem is that you can not simply plug in & play now a days because the program (FSX) is becoming so old!!!! FSX for example, im pretty sure the majority of users who use it have had to tweak something on the FSX config, or installations for example, REX 2.0 with overdrive and essentials is an extremely complex installation procedure and a lot of people don't have the time / patience to do it.

I am hoping that when dovetail games produce the next generation of Flight Sim that they will start fresh, I think using Steam as the host platform would be an excellent move as a lot of young people use that and would hopefully invite new people into the simulation genre.

PS Im now a Private Pilot.

Cheers,

Sam

-------------

Posted By: Christopher Low
Date Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 8:20pm
I am rather surprised that there are no posts about the recent Cosford 2014 Flightsim Show on this forum. If we want to encourage more people to join the flightsim community, then we need to advertise! Cosford 2014 was my first ever flightsim show, and I loved it. I spoke to a handful of the Just Flight guys, and met several other members of the Mutley's Hangar forum. I will definitely be purchasing a ticket for the 2015 Show as soon as they are available! Thumbs Up

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Christopher Low Christopher Low wrote:

I am rather surprised that there are no posts about the recent Cosford 2014 Flightsim Show on this forum. If we want to encourage more people to join the flightsim community, then we need to advertise! Cosford 2014 was my first ever flightsim show, and I loved it. I spoke to a handful of the Just Flight guys, and met several other members of the Mutley's Hangar forum. I will definitely be purchasing a ticket for the 2015 Show as soon as they are available! Thumbs Up

Hi Sam and Chris, yes I was hoping to see some coverage of the show here especially as I couldn't get there this year. By all accounts it was bigger and better than 2013 and hopefully the exhibitors found it worth their while. Here's looking forward to 2015.

Chris, Sam, see you over on Mutley's.

-------------
Must Fly!

Posted By: wain
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 7:48am
Had a good day at Cosford, had an email from JF saying how good it was, thanks for coming and go look at these pics. Seemed busy there, spent too much money and had a good look around the museum....

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 7:53am
It was good to see a few of you there, albeit all too briefly due to rushing around all day sorting this and that.
Next year we'll have to sort a proper forum get together at the show so we can all put faces to names. I'll bring the coffee and biscuits.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 5:16pm
chocolate ones though.......

Posted By: Deltahotel
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Rich Rich wrote:

It was good to see a few of you there, albeit all too briefly due to rushing around all day sorting this and that.
Next year we'll have to sort a proper forum get together at the show so we can all put faces to names. I'll bring the coffee and biscuits.

Well I think that's a good idea Rich.

Did I see a pic of some kind of presentation/talk going on - how did I miss that?

... and how dare you not be there hifly??

DH

-------------
Dave H

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 10:19pm
There were two presentations, Dave. The first one (at 11:30 AM) was about X-Plane, and the second (at 2:30 PM, which I attended) was the Quality Wings guys talking about the upcoming 787, and also their design philosophy. Both of these were in the auditorium in the main museum building (the one with the V Bomber trio, and two separate levels).

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 10:37am
Ok thanks Chris. I must have been blind to have missed that.
It is/was a good show - great opportunity to talk to some of the experts.
And just to encourage the exhibitors - even if you don't sell something at the show, there must be many
later spin-offs ... I was certainly able to decide what will be my replacement PC build.

Now .... do I stay with FSX or go P3d - or wait and see when I get the new PC ???

-------------
Dave H

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 1:55pm
Deltahotel said-Now .... do I stay with FSX or go P3d - or wait and see when I get the new PC ???

why choose, keep fsx and get P3D, keep fsx while P3D is still developing, it is limited by the available addons, as good as P3D looks it still requires some addons that just are not available yet....

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 7:23pm
Dave,

I had to ask someone where the presentations were being held, because I didn't have a clue at first. By the way, were any of you guys in the foyer between the two sets of automatic doors before the show officially opened? I was speaking to two guys in there, and I would love to be able to make contact with them again. We had a very interesting conversation!

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Christopher Low Christopher Low wrote:

Dave,

By the way, were any of you guys in the foyer between the two sets of automatic doors before the show officially opened?

Not me Chris - still caught down south in torrential rain at that time.
See you next year though ...

-------------
Dave H

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 4:41pm
not me either, I was still coming up the motorway in the rain too.....

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 5:19pm
Maybe give the Facebook page a try - https://www.facebook.com/FlightSim2014?ref=bookmarks 

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2014 at 6:46pm
Are there any more photos of the show, Rich? I notice that the one on the Facebook page that I click on to access the show website is not part of the list. Even better.....I am in it!

Posted By: TomA320
Date Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:14pm
Still here as well...not really on flight simulator as much now, I'm now a flight instructor so I get to fly almost everyday in a real aircraft which is great.  I still go on flight sim occasionally though and still often check on the JF forum but as everyone else has said, it's so quite on here now! 

Date Posted: 25 Oct 2014 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

Still here as well...not really on flight simulator as much now, I'm now a flight instructor so I get to fly almost everyday in a real aircraft which is great.  I still go on flight sim occasionally though and still often check on the JF forum but as everyone else has said, it's so quite on here now! 

Interesting Tom, an instructor at the tender age of 19, WOW and probably belated congratulations! Well please give us some details.

What and where are you flying? I'm sure there are many here who would like to hear some real world flying experiences from you, post some pics. Is this part of a career plan to move on to bigger things?

Whatever, I wish you all the best, just keep us informed of your adventures.

And fly safe.

-------------
Must Fly!

Posted By: Jim
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 10:11am
What a great future you have.as the saying goes."The skys the limit".
Jim.

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 6:49pm
Thanks guys, 

Yes, instructing is great, I'm currently at Tayside Aviation and flying the Grobs and Warriors. Not only is it really enjoyable and you can clock up lots of P1 hours in your log book very quickly, but the thing I never really though about was how rewarding it would be.  I had a student who had very little previous flying experience and I sent him solo a few weeks back.  A great feeling watching from the control tower and thinking that you trained the person behind the controls to be able to fly that aircraft.  We are now onto Nav so next stage will be sending him on his first solo nav then doing the landaways for the QXC.  

The other thing is that instructing keeps your skills fresh: a few weekends ago I flew 5 and a bit hours and some of that was in the circuit getting a student ready for solo, another bit was PFLs and finally some stalling so you can find yourself going through many exercises in a single day if you have a few different students.  

Tayside have a pilot placement program with Loganair so once instructors have worked around 18 months they will join Loganair as a FO.  At the moment I'm more than happy working as an FI as they are so many interesting parts of your job that you wouldn't experience as an airline pilot.  

Tom 

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 6:56pm
Hi Tom,
Glad to hear things are going well.
What Grob to you fly?

-------------

Date Posted: 26 Oct 2014 at 7:16pm
Thanks Rich, 

It's the Grob 115 aircraft, very nice, light and responsive -  feels a lot different from flying a Warrior! 

Posted By: ConcordeGuy
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 4:16am
Jesus, been a while. Last time I posted was about Tom's article in the Daily Fail.

I haven't been simming much since I was about 14-15. I've tried to get back into it again, though. I bought the PMDG 737 NGX with some Saitek controls a while back, but even now I don't fly that much anymore.

I've forgotten a lot since. I'm currently training for my PPL at the moment, but the cost is just too much. Work is killing me (I start my rota shift in two hours) and I'm finding it hard to spend time with FSX!

-------------
Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600

Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 1:53pm
Well Robbie, another one flying for real. Can I ask was it flight simming that got you into the real stuff or has that always been your dream? And what after the PPL, a career in aviation? Whichever, I wish you luck in getting your licence.

Yep it is quiet here, I think all the big topics have been argued over and war stories told. JF's Rich says more folk are on the in-your-Facebook site here but there's no real dialogue there. I still check in every day but have defected over to Mutley's Hanger and am bothering the good folk there.

All the Best and happy landings.    

-------------
Must Fly!

Posted By: ConcordeGuy
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 3:06pm
Ahh Mutley's Hangar. I remember donating a fiver a few years back when he first started the site...he was well happy :)

I wanted to be a pilot in the RAF. When that didn't work out, the flying just stayed on the back burner for a while. That was until I went on holiday to Lanzarote (third time ;D) and seeing the planes take off and land right near our villa sparked the interest up again.

I wouldn't mind an ATPL, however I just don't have the money so it's not possible :(

-------------
Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600

Posted By: Stringbean
Date Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 11:04am

Thought i’d pop in to say hello.

Yes,..it has gone very quite on the JF forum. I noticed this a very long time ago actually. I wonder if it’s just that as time passes, people move on. They get older, have different commitments and take on responsibilities that they never had before. I’m guessing that not many new people join up after them because things have changed a lot since FSX came out in terms of social media, technology and entertainment.

I myself haven’t posted here for probably getting on near three years give or take a few months. but that’s mainly because I eventually decided to get rid of the noisy PC with it’s fans whirring away that I built in order to play FSX. 

FSX always did require some sort of maintenance with a tweak here and a tweak there. I kind of just had enough really. When I think of all the time and money I dedicated on FSX over the years. Radar Contact 4, Traffic X, Real weather program addons, adding extra RAM, updating graphics cards and messing about with settings and config files, it eventually did my head in. Even though I got it to run pretty good in the end, I decided I’d call it a day. Six years of FSX was enough, it was tired, getting old and the Aces team at Microsoft even chucked the towel in. 

Social media began to really take off and Facebook is where most of the conversations these days take place. Forums are (arguably), becoming old and tired too I think. 

Technology is constantly changing. Fast forward in time and along came these wonderful little devices called Tablets. They get faster and faster with each new release and fantastic screen resolutionThere is so much more choice nowadays in which to entertain yourself. I now get my quick fix of flight simming on my iPad by playing with Infinite Flight which to my mind is the next best thing on a mobile device. Aerofly 2 is due out soon and I know that even the good folks here at Just Flight have produced a couple of aircraft for the current original Aerofly app.

Ok, flight simulator on a mobile device will never give you that truly immersive experience you get with a large desktop screen, and a yoke/joystick, especially for those people who want to be real pilots, and I admit, I sometimes miss that. But in all honestly, apps like Infinite Flight for mobile devices are surprisingly very good and challenging and the graphics are amazing and all for the price of a budget DVD.

I think this is the appeal and attraction of much of gaming today, convenient, small devices at the touch of a button anytime, anywhere. 

Date Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 10:41pm
I think you are right with regards to people and having a lack of time. Busy lives etc.

I built a PC mainly for FSX last year, it is running nicely and all my addons play nicely together so over the past few months I have found I now do more flying than tweaking, it seems quite stable and has the weather, traffic and textures I wont, so no need to tweak.

I have a tablet and even though some 'games' are fine I wont use it to replace Flightsim and if I want mainstream gaming thats why I have a PS4. What I believe will happen is as it is now, to get FSX/XPLANE/P3D things you shop online or at shows.

Flightsim for me is a way of escaping reality with some challenges and a whole heap of fun, I think it all depends what you as an individual want from the experiance........

Posted By: twright
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 11:08am
My FSX PC is now plugged into my living room TV used only as a Plex Server!

I had the heartache of a HDD failure earlier in the year and lost the lot Cry  I've reinstalled FSX and some of my old favourites but it's nowhere near as heavy as it was. Besides that I've also moved in with my girlfriend in our own flat, where we're limited for space so can only really sim while she's out!  Have resumed r/l lessons though after a long hiatus, just waiting for some nice weather!

-------------
Kind regards,
Tom

Posted By: Martyn
Date Posted: 11 Dec 2014 at 4:08pm
Good to see some old names here Thumbs Up

As Richard has pointed out we tend to 'engage with customers' more on Facebook now, although as someone pointed out earlier its not really a replacement for a forum discussion. Both myself and Richard are now busy programming on projects like Canberra, Tristar Pro and the upcoming Tornado, so its increasingly difficult to find the time to post here.

In terms of R/W flying, I got my PPL back in 2011 and hope to invest in an IMC and night rating soon. I actually bumped into our very own Jack (Aircraft Aviation) at my local airfield a little while ago. I was jumping out of one of the club C152s as he was getting out of the Piper Arrow that he is flying nowadays. Its a small world!

Martyn

-------------
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd

Posted By: dodgy-alan
Date Posted: 13 Dec 2014 at 6:40pm
I'm still here but spend most of my time on Mutleys Hangar these days. A lot of the old names seem to have vanished. Posts rarely got comments and it was pretty dead at times. However I've plenty of material available so will add some stuff.Smile

-------------
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 8:36am
Pcs are becoming obsolete. Replaced by X Boxes, Tablets and smart phones.Only hope for flight sim is a cloud based format.
johnep

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2014 at 8:57pm
X-Boxes, tablets and smartphones do not interest me. In fact, the only use I can think of for a mobile phone is in an emergency (which is a biggie, I grant you). I have never owned a mobile phone, or a tablet, or a games console, and long may it stay that way!

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

My FSX PC is now plugged into my living room TV used only as a Plex Server!

I had the heartache of a HDD failure earlier in the year and lost the lot Cry  I've reinstalled FSX and some of my old favourites but it's nowhere near as heavy as it was. Besides that I've also moved in with my girlfriend in our own flat, where we're limited for space so can only really sim while she's out!  Have resumed r/l lessons though after a long hiatus, just waiting for some nice weather!

Naughty, naughty. You should have made an Acronis image and reinstalled the lot with a simple click.

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by johnep johnep wrote:

Pcs are becoming obsolete. Replaced by X Boxes, Tablets and smart phones.Only hope for flight sim is a cloud based format.
johnep

I don't think they are becoming obsolete to be honest, it's just that they aren't upgraded to newer tech as often as phones, tablets etc. Hence sales lower.

I did hear that Intel had excellent sales of CPU's recently though.

I tell you what may revive my interest in FSX... an X55 Rhino that is sitting under my Christmas tree.

It'll be great for Elite: Dangerous as well... due out tomorrow!

http://www.elitedangerous.com/

Posted By: Magic Man
Date Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

I tell you what may revive my interest in FSX... an X55 Rhino that is sitting under my Christmas tree.

It'll be great for Elite: Dangerous as well... due out tomorrow!

http://www.elitedangerous.com/

Yo old timer...! I shall see you in the darkness of space. Been in the beta for a few weeks myself...

Nice choice on the stick.

Happy Christmas to all..! :)

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 11:06pm
Ha, if it isn't me old pal Magic person...

Don't worry Magic, Iv'e been practising in the free Eagle I got with the Mercenary edition. If you see me scooping fuel around a sun, don't be fooled, it's just a ploy to draw you in.

Where's my free manual and digital art that was supposed to be with the mercenary? What are they up to?

P.S. What's Santa bringing Magic for Xmas?

Posted By: dogtrack
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 3:19pm
No mobile phone Christopher! Thought I was bad, have one but never turn it on....Just carry it for emegencies.

-------------
Arnie

...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

i7 4770K : GTX 770 : 8GB Ram : FSX Gold : P3D : X-Plane : W7 64 :

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Ha, if it isn't me old pal Magic person...

Don't worry Magic, Iv'e been practising in the free Eagle I got with the Mercenary edition. If you see me scooping fuel around a sun, don't be fooled, it's just a ploy to draw you in.

Where's my free manual and digital art that was supposed to be with the mercenary? What are they up to?

P.S. What's Santa bringing Magic for Xmas?

Yep, waiting for the extras too. Upgraded to the boxed version so got that to come as well.
Otherwise waiting for Dragon Age Inquisition from the jolly chap in red and some dvd's.

Have a good one matey...

Date Posted: 22 Dec 2014 at 9:20am
The pilot manual is now on the website Magic. It's just very basic, just what you already know, Digital art is still having the final touches done.

Re the X55... looking forward to it. One or two issues that have to be considered though....

The shaft needs lube. I'm not kidding. It needs Vaseline applied and then the plastic ring moved up and down a few times. I think I'd go for Krytec though, better for plastic.

You can get ghost key presses with USB 2.0, despite the fact it's supposed to be designed for USB 2.0. The answer is to use a powered hub, or plug it into USB 3.0. USB 3.0 provides more milliamps.

Date Posted: 23 Dec 2014 at 12:49am
yep, I've got the basic manual and the player created one. Enjoy the X55.

Print Page | Close Window