Forum Name: Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
Forum Description: Discussion area for Traffic titles
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=19569
Printed Date: 16 Apr 2024 at 7:13pm

Topic: Weekly schedule?
Posted By: EdwardK
Subject: Weekly schedule?
Date Posted: 17 Jul 2012 at 11:49am
I recently purchased Traffic X and installed it along with the service pack.  At this point I have no problems with creating daily schedules, but for some reason I am unable to to create a weekly schedule that works.  The plane is never present.  I have tried different starting times, but nothing is working and yes I have remembered to compile the traffic file.  There must be a step that is being missed or some process that is not being done correctly, but at this time I have not figured it out yet.

Edward K.

Replies:
Posted By: freddy
Date Posted: 18 Jul 2012 at 9:52am
If you can successfully create daily schedules, and see the plane(s) etc, then that confirms that Traffic X is installed and working correctly.  Therefore, the weekly schedule should work too, as it is made and compiled in the same way by the software.

However, there are some things which one needs to be aware of when doing weekly schedules ... seeing the word "Wednesday" next to an aircraft does not necessarily mean that the aircraft will appear at the airport, on WEDNESDAY.  Remember that we are talking about GMT times here.  And, in some parts of the world "Wednesday" on your Traffic X screen may actually be TUESDAY (or THURSDAY) in the simulator.  Now factor in the time difference for GMT and it becomes apparent that Wednesday 10:00am in Traffic X may actually be Tuesday 5:00pm in the sim.

Being aware of this, one should remember to look at least one day ahead (or behind) for their plane, and should also check the full 24 hours for their plane.

And, here's the hot tip: Set your traffic percentage in Flight Simulator to 100% when checking for your aircraft (more on the reason for this later).

After compiling, when looking for my plane in the sim, I set the traffic percentage in the sim to 100% and then I begin the check with the actual time I set the plane for.  From there, I go back one hour, and then back one hour again, and then again an hour ... and so on and so forth ... continuing to go back, each hour, until midnight.  From midnight, I go back to the PREVIOUS day (so from Wednesday as per the example here, to Tuesday,) and keep going back hour by hour, over and over, until midnight again.  If the plane STILL doesn't how up, on both the Wednesday 24 hours and Tuesday 24 hours, then I go AHEAD to the NEXT day (so, that would be "Thursday" using the example here) and do the whole hour by hour thing all over again checking the whole Thursday 24 hours.  Thus, covering 24 hours, for each of the three days, the Tuesday, the Wednesday (the day set in Traffic X), and the Thursday.

If my plane SHOWS UP, I take a mental note of that day and time, and now set my traffic percentage in Flight Simulator back to what my usual setting is.  With that setting, I then check for my plane again at that day and time to ensure it is still there.  If it isn't, then it is necessary to COMPILE AGAIN.  There is a certain randomness in the compile process that sets the "traffic percentage" number at which the aircraft will appear.  Setting your traffic percentage in FSX to 100% when checking for your plane will guarantee that you see it.  But if the compiler has set the "traffic percentage" number for your plane to, say, 75% and you usually set your simulator to 60%, then you will not see your plane at your usual setting (this is because with your 60% setting the sim will show planes that have a value set for them which is between 0% and 60%, so a plane set for 75% will not be displayed).  Compiling again, banking on the compiler randomness being kinder this time, you hope that your plane gets assigned a traffic percentage number that will allow you to see it at your whatever your usual chosen traffic percentage is for the sim (in the example I am giving here, you would hope that it will assign it 60% or less).

If, after all of this, the plane still does not show up on the actual day, or one day ahead, or one day past ... even with the traffic slider in the sim set to 100% ... then something has gone wrong.  If that happens, I usually delete the plane from the flight plans, and start over.

Good luck.

P.S  Also consider that the airport where you are placing your aircraft must have parking spots large enough to handle the type of aircraft. For example, a small GA airport would not have parking spots large enough for 747 aircraft.  To confirm this, if your aircraft is not showing up but you're happy you've done everything correctly, change the aircraft to a Cessna and compile again.  Look for the Cessna using the methods described above.  If the Cessna appears, then it confirms your work is fine, and that the real aircraft that you're trying to place is possibly too large for this airport (ie, the airport does not have parking spots large enough for it).

Posted By: EdwardK
Date Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 9:52pm
Freddy,

Thanks for your response.  I have learned quite a bit on how Traffic X operates.  When it comes to the time being used, I would think the time in the schedule would apply to the current airport.  For example, I schedule a commercial flight to leave KSAN at 0600 to fly to the east coast.  This is 6:00AM PST.  The time difference I believe is about 4 hours.  This means when the plane is scheduled to fly back, the time that is in the flight plan would be applied to the east coast times so that should mean that if there is a 2100 departure time than that should reflect the east coast time.

Back to the weekly.  The one and only time I have been able to get a weekly schedule to show up was to custom compile the airline to its own file.

Edward K.

Posted By: freddy
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2012 at 4:03am
Originally posted by EdwardK EdwardK wrote:

Thanks for your response.  I have learned quite a bit on how Traffic X operates.  When it comes to the time being used, I would think the time in the schedule would apply to the current airport.  For example, I schedule a commercial flight to leave KSAN at 0600 to fly to the east coast.  This is 6:00AM PST.  The time difference I believe is about 4 hours.  This means when the plane is scheduled to fly back, the time that is in the flight plan would be applied to the east coast times so that should mean that if there is a 2100 departure time than that should reflect the east coast time.

Hmmm, that is a good question ... and one that I am not sure of the actual correct answer.  Although, that said, it does make logical sense that FSX would do it as you describe.

Suffice to say, regardless of the airport and regardless of LOCAL TIME, using the "search the full 24 hours one day ahead, search the full 24 hours on the actual day, and search the full 24 hours one day after" method should certainly find the plane ... with, as I mentioned, the traffic slider percentage in the sim set to 100% to allow for the random traffic percentage assigned to the aircraft by the compiler.

Originally posted by EdwardK EdwardK wrote:

Back to the weekly.  The one and only time I have been able to get a weekly schedule to show up was to custom compile the airline to its own file.

Interesting.  Weekly schedules have always worked for me, as a single compile ... no requirement for me to have to custom compile the airline to its own file.   But, even so, I generally don't use weekly schedules ... preferring to just set aircraft to DAILY instead.  It might not be as realistic, but I don't really notice.  I use weekly only when it is not possible for an aircraft to complete the journey in a single day (ie, due to distance, some international flights require a day to fly from one continent to another continent, and thus need to do the return leg on a different day - hence requiring a WEEKLY schedule).

Print Page | Close Window