Print Page | Close Window

System Bottlenecks - HELP!!!

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Chat
Forum Name: Hardware
Forum Description: Discussion area for hardware problems, questions, recommendations and general advice
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1619
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 2:50pm

Topic: System Bottlenecks - HELP!!!
Posted By: Iain
Subject: System Bottlenecks - HELP!!!
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:56am

Hi again, I’ve been very disappointed with my current rig, and despite a few upgrades in graphics card, and soon a new processor and motherboard I’m beginning to think I have a bottleneck somewhere!

The current build is as follows:

Motherboard - Asus P5KE-WiFi

Processor - Intel Quad Core Q6600 – 2.4Ghz (no over clocking)

RAM -  DDR2 4GB of PC6400 800MHZ

Graphics - NVidia BFG 9800GX2 1GB

Hard Disk - Raid 0 WestonDigital 1Tb array

OS – Windows Vista 32Bit

I have the ability to swap the graphics card back to the original 8800GTs I have, which I had NO problems with, in fact I’m thinking it’s a better card!  I also have both the 64 and 32 bit versions of windows XP and Vista, thanks to my companies volume licensing, so any suggestions as to the best OS would also be greatly appreciated!

I load up flight sim X, and despite loads of tweaking of the settings for scenery, autogen, traffic and the like, I seem to only be able to manage a rather poor 15-20 fps when on the ground, once airborne I can get above 20 but its rare!

I’ve read that FSX is more dependant on the CPU than the GPU, so I have on order a new Quad Core Extreme QX9650 with an Asus Striker II extreme motherboard and 4Gb of DDR3 10666 RAM, but what I don’t want is the same sluggish play that I have.

Does anyone know or have these problems?  Can anyone point out the bottleneck or fault?  I’m reluctant to spend any more money on add ons if the game isn’t playing right?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Replies:
Posted By: MartinW
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 6:56pm

Flight sim tends to be CPU dependant, so your new CPU should pay dividends. FSX does support multi-core though so I'm surprised your frame rates are so low.

My immediate reaction is that you have whacked your sliders far too high.

Or you haven’t installed the FSX service packs.

Posted By: Iain
Date Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 9:19am
Hi Martin, thanks for the feedback.
My new processor arrives yesterday at 9.30am so I had to wait all day to escape the office and get home to install it!  But WOW, i'm so impressed!

I've been having problems with the graphics card and dual screen, and was unimpressed with my 5.6vista score on the RAM, however the new processor and the old graphics card are now all running a 5.9score on vista and i can happily run my dual screens with a locked frame rate of 25fps....

Just need to work out why i'm getting a BSOD with a page faut error now!!!  Why is nothing ever easy on PC's!!!

Print Page | Close Window