Print Page | Close Window

Simulator Project VIDEO ADDED

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Chat
Forum Name: Hardware
Forum Description: Discussion area for hardware problems, questions, recommendations and general advice
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=16118
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 7:30pm

Topic: Simulator Project VIDEO ADDED
Posted By: TomA320
Subject: Simulator Project VIDEO ADDED
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 12:19pm
Hi everyone, I'm going to be starting a Flight Simulator project soon, which will entail building a simulator cockpit and have the ability to fly without any need to touch the mouse or keyboard. 

I'm basing it on the KingAir, but it will only be a 1 seater sim. 

It's a big project and here is what it will include:

A main instrument panel which will use a 24" screen to show the instruments. 

A pedestal with a throttle, audio panel, trims etc. 

The shell to encase the instrument panels and a projector showing the visuals. 

The sim will also include an avionics panel which will include:
VHF/NAV
ADF
Transponder
AP

I shall be updating this post frequently with more news and pictures.  I'm still very much in the planning stage at the moment, but hoping to start around Feb.  Any ideas/requests would be very much appreciated. 

Tom

Replies:
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 4:52pm
Here are a few shots of the avionics which will be incorporated into the sim. 

I managed to get them at dealer price so saved a lot of money compared with the RRP. 

The transponder is still under production from Elite but I should have them in about 3 weeks. 

Posted By: Edward Longe
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 4:55pm
Best of luck Tom Thumbs%20Up

-------------

CAA= Cash Again,Again!

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 5:21pm
Thanks Edward.  

The first thing I'm going to be building is the MIP and glairshield.  I'm going to be paining the MIP the Boeing RAL 7011 color and hopefully get some nice black material for the glairshield. 

Posted By: GEOFFERS
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:41pm
you can come and make me a simulator cockpit for a C130K TomA320 when your done oh%20how%20I%20laughed TEE HEE oh%20how%20I%20laughed best luck wth yours Tom, looking forward to seeing it.

-------------
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

Posted By: ShrewsburyFC
Date Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:53pm
Cant wait to see the end result Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 9:37am
Thanks guys, might be a while yet.  I'm guessing it will take about 3-4 months to get it exactly how I would like, but perhaps even longer. 

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 10:52am
Can anybody recommend any switches etc for either the MIP or Pedestal? 

I am thinking of this from Saitek but I would only be buying it if I can get it cheap of ebay.
http://www.flightstore.co.uk/saitek-pro-flight-bip-panel.asp/simulation/avionicsims - http://www.flightstore.co.uk/saitek-pro-flight-bip-panel.asp/simulation/avionicsims

Posted By: Magic Man
Date Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 7:29pm

Sounds great Tom, keep us up to date and take pictures...

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 7:38pm
Will do, I'm hoping to make this topic a bit like a "blog" style post with all the pictures and updates posted here.  I'm still planning out all the dimensions and materials etc ATM, but stay tuned!Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 7:41am
UPDATE: 
 I've ordered the leads for the projector so hopefully they will arrive on Fri/Sat and I'll be able to take a few pics of the projector and monitor working together. Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 7:56am
UPDATE- The transponder modual is now in stock so I'm getting the avionics shipped out this week so I'll take some pics when they arrive. 

Date Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 8:43am
Sounds good Thumbs%20Up

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 1:55pm
Update:  I've now got my projector and screen working together, the screen showing the instruments and the projector showing the scenery it looks really good. 
I took a picture, but for some reason the scenery from the projector doesn't show on the camera. 
The avionics are due to arrive next week, Thursday or Friday so I'll get a few pics then. 

In the mean time I need a bit of help deciding where they should all go. 

I was thinking of having the Autopilot and HDG selector on the pedestal and the transponder, VFR radio and ADF on the MIP. This is the layout that the Alsim simulator at my flying club uses but would appreciate your thought. 

Thanks

Date Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 10:45pm
Sounds like its comeing along nicely Cool

Posted By: crmathie
Date Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 5:15pm
Sound good to me Tom dont forget to keep us updated with pics as well. Good luck with it.

Col.

-------------

http://www.crmcomputerservices.co.uk - http://www.crmcomputerservices.co.uk

Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:55pm
Thanks, the avionic arrived today, unfortunately they didn't pass the customs check and I was forced to pay 20% VAT (£123) before I could collect them.  I'm gutted because I've never had to pay any VAT on these items before. 

I'll get some pics. tomorrow.

Posted By: Heinz57
Date Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:25pm
Sounds like a good project Tom! Best of luck with it!

-------------
Jazz that's not a drawer its a trash compactor. And when Uncle Phil sees this it'll be a Jazz Compactor

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 9:09am
Thanks Heinz, here is a pic of the all together:

Posted By: Herky
Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 7:52pm
Hi Tom, nice project.

With reference to my Monitors thread, out of curiosity, I was just wondering how you plan to "view" your sim project, when its completed?

Obviously, I assume you will be going for maximum realism!

Regards,
Herky.

-------------
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

Date Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 9:12pm
Thanks, I am going to be using my projector to show the scenery and a 19" monitor for the instruments which will be built into the MIP.

Date Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 6:31pm

Update:

I'm going to be officially starting the build on the 12th of Feb, I'm starting with the MIP first which will include the following items: 
19" Screen for instruments, Elite yoke and 3 avionics (Transponder, ADF and VHF) Saitek switch panel and possibly also the Saitek BIL panel. 
I am also hoping to make a panel to fit over the screen to make the guages look more realistic, but more news on that later!

I am basing my simulator on the ALSIM 200MCC, but it will only be a single seater:

Stay posted for some pics and more updates.

Date Posted: 04 Feb 2011 at 11:05am
Plans are all drawn for the MIP and I'm going to be getting the materials tonight and start building over the weekend.  Expect a few pics tonight.Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 4:07pm
Update:

Started work on the MIP today, I've got the shape cut out and also the sections for the avionics and instruments. 

I've also managed to get Project Magenta working for the Sim so here are some pics:
Project Magenta glass display:

Instruments:

The avionics also work 100% with the PM software, so when I turn the heading bug or change frequencies, PM software recognizes this and makes the change to the displays:

Here are a couple of shots of the MIP:

Also, I've got a room in my house which I have for just this project.  I've considered painting the walls a darker colour, would this help the image on the projector to look better? 

Posted By: twright
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 5:52pm
Looks good! If only I had the room...!

You could paint the walls, however with a projector you'll want it dark - blinds and turning the lights off will do the job! Are you projecting onto a screen or onto the wall?

-------------
Kind regards,
Tom

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 6:08pm
Lookin good Tom.Thumbs%20Up

I was wondering if you could do a Schematic Diagram for how your components will be connected?

I was thinking I would like a set up like here:

http://www.simpit.christrup.net/ - http://www.simpit.christrup.net/

Big%20smile

Regards,

Herky

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

Looks good! If only I had the room...!

You could paint the walls, however with a projector you'll want it dark - blinds and turning the lights off will do the job! Are you projecting onto a screen or onto the wall?

Thanks Tom, I'll just turn off the lights and close the blinds, I didn't know if the dark walls would help or not, but it wouldn't make much difference. 

I'm hoping to build a wrap round screen which the projector would shine onto that, I think it might look a bit more realistic rather than just having a square image in front of the cockpit.  What do you think? 

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by Herky Herky wrote:

Lookin good Tom.Thumbs%20Up

I was wondering if you could do a Schematic Diagram for how your components will be connected?

I was thinking I would like a set up like here:

http://www.simpit.christrup.net/ - http://www.simpit.christrup.net/

Big%20smile
 Regards,

Herky

I could give it a shot, give me a few days...oh how I laughed

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 7:39pm
I don't know if you can still get a photographic paint to paint walls ect to project an image on it was the same paint as used on cinema's screens  

-------------

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 8:43pm

Here is a couple of pics of the MIP taken a few minuites ago:  I'm pretty pleased as I only started this morning and I got a really good deal on the wood: 1 sheet of MDF, wood support sticks, and 3 sheets of hardboard for only £5!

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 8:54pm
The projects coming on good Tom. You realy got all that wood for a fiver? Brilliant!

Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

hoping to build a wrap round screen which the projector would shine onto that, I think it might look a bit more realistic rather than just having a square image in front of the cockpit.  What do you think? 

Either way some sort of screen would be better for your projector. You would get a better and clearer picture than if it was projected onto the wall.

The techi is starting to creep back into me now, so the inebitable question - what projector are you using?

-------------
Jazz that's not a drawer its a trash compactor. And when Uncle Phil sees this it'll be a Jazz Compactor

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2011 at 9:16pm
The projects coming on good Tom. You realy got all that wood for a fiver? Brilliant!
Yes, it was off-cuts that they wanted rid off, 50p each but there was absolutely no damage to the wood so I was happy to take it rather than buy new sheets at full price.  I did have to buy the support sticks at the normal price though. Wink

Thanks for the advice on the projector, I'll be sure to get a screen on some sort, perhaps I could get once cheep on ebay.  Also, it's the Hitachi GAX which I'm using, I'm not sure how good a make it is, but the picture is certainly very good.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 10:30am
Wicked Thumbs%20Up, sounds and looks like its comeing along great!!!!! Cool

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 10:48am
Very nice Tom. What's the cost on Project Magenta these days...?

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Magic Man Magic Man wrote:

Very nice Tom. What's the cost on Project Magenta these days...?

Thanks, Project magenta is about £73 it's a great piece of software. 

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 1:23pm
I've just ordered some switches for the MIP, they look pretty cool:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220511975117 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220511975117

Does anybody know how to go about making controls from scratch and how to program them? I'm interested in giving it a shot.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 5:34pm
While the glue was setting on the MIP, I started work on the panel which the MIP will be attached to.  Got the wood today, 4, 6mm MDF boards 50p each -bargain! 

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 7:52pm
Is 6mm mdf going to be strong enough for what you want? It's a bit flimsy and will sag over any distance, only really suitable as a hardboard substitute/replacement. e.g. for a panel surface rather than anything structural.

Those safety guard 'switches' are only covers, you'll still need toggle switches. Can get them in this country as well but not that cheap.

The BU0836X board from Leo Bodnar is recognised as very good but the site seems down - not sure if he's still selling them. http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836X/

Posted By: Slopey
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 8:03pm
That MDF doesn't look particularly strong. You'll likely need to strap it or re-do it with something thicker.

As regards the projector - if you're going for curved you can use thin plywood onto a curved frame (or curved under tension), or just a sheet.

The problem you'll likely have with the projector however is throw distance. I don't think that one is short-throw, but I've not checked.

When I eventually get round to doing my 737NG sim, I plan on using short throw projectors to get a large size from a short throw distance unless you have a very long room.

I have an InFocus short throw HD projector mounted in the living room for the X-Box/films, and I can get a 180" diagonal from a throw distance of 1.3m which is excellent.

Check the calculator on ProjectorCentral for hints about where to position the projector and if that one will do the job.

You'll have to pay attention to projector mounting otherwise the panel will get in the way, there's only so much you can tilt them.

-------------
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 8:18pm
Yes, the 6mm is not Strong enough, but the 12mm (which I was planning for) was a lot more expensive compared to £2 for 4 sheets of the 6mm MDF.  I'm going to get some more wood straps from B&Q tomorrow and finish it off, I'm also adding another section down the middle for extra support. 

Those safety guard 'switches' are only covers, you'll still need toggle switches. Can get them in this country as well but not that cheap.
Yes, it's only the covers but I thought that it was a pretty good price for 6 and free P&P as well.  I could have got them from opencockpits but they were quite a bit more.

Thanks Slopey for the advice on the projector, I can get pretty much a full wall of visuals by having the projector about 4m back which is fine for the sim. 

I am hoping to place the projector on top of the shell of the cockpit and have it shining onto a curved screen so I don't think I'll need to tip it very much. 
Thanks

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 8:25pm
You'll need additional software to throw the projector image on a curved screen without it distorting unless the projector is able to compensate enough for this. e.g. http://nthusim.com/

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 8:27pm
Quote I can get pretty much a full wall of visuals by having the projector about 4m back which is fine for the sim.

I am hoping to place the projector on top of the shell of the cockpit

Just a couple of points - can you get full wall visuals when the cockpit panels are in the way??

And 4m back - if you're going to mount that on the top of a cockpit shell, that's a hell of a long cockpit shell!!!

Or I guess you'll mount it a couple of metres back and live with the smaller size?

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 8:47pm
Just a couple of points - can you get full wall visuals when the cockpit panels are in the way??
Yes, I've already tried it and it seems to be fine.

And 4m back - if you're going to mount that on the top of a cockpit shell, that's a hell of a long cockpit shell!!!
No, I'll have the cockpit shell sitting 4 meters back from the wall it is being shone onto. 

Thanks for the link Magic Man, I'll download that when I come to integrate the projector. 

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 9:19pm
Quote And 4m back - if you're going to mount that on the top of a cockpit shell, that's a hell of a long cockpit shell!!!
No, I'll have the cockpit shell sitting 4 meters back from the wall it is being shone onto.

You'll need to watch and not have the cockpit too far back or it'll look odd if the wall is some distance away.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Posted By: Aircraft Aviation
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 9:34pm
Hi Tom,

Have you heard of something called nThusiasm?

A couple of the builders are using it over at MyCockpit.org, and a new version has just been released.

It helps you fix projector warping, etc.

-------------
http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3698">

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 10:22pm
Do you mean http://nthusim.com/setups - NThusim ?

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2011 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by Aircraft Aviation Aircraft Aviation wrote:

Have you heard of something called nThusiasm?

Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

Do you mean http://nthusim.com/setups - NThusim ?

I must be invisible.. See post at top of this page... Wink

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 12:20am
Sorry Magic - missed you'd already posted it ;)

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 9:00am
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at it.  Heavy snow in Perth today so whether I can get to B&Q for more strapping is debatable.Thumbs%20Down

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 1:14pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220511975117 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220511975117

Does anybody know how to go about making controls from scratch and how to program them? I'm interested in giving it a shot.

You'll need an interface board/encoder which has multiple inputs (or a matrix of inputs on it), which will connect back to the machine via USB.

Then, depending on which one you go for, it'll either appear as a virtual controller device, or allow you to assign keystrokes/values to the switch inputs.

And you can map those within the sim or as custom controls using FSUIPC.

There are a few different models - I don't have any knowledge on them beyond the above.

You'll need to be able to solder most likely!

I was planning on using the interface boards from FlyEngravity as part of their desktop MIP series for all the various instrumentation, and then use an additional controller for any other inputs I'd want to model.

If you look around many of the sim pit builder websites/forums, you'll get a feel for what everyone is using. Be careful which one you go with and ensure if you're on x64 windows that there's a driver for it.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 4:25pm
nthusimShocked

Good lord! and here I am faffing about trying to decide on TH2GO versus SLI versus ATI on 22" monitorsEmbarrassed

Hey Tom, If you get a simulator like those on nthusim, you could charge admission fees and rent the sim out at £? per hourBig%20smile.   Let me know I'll bob round for a circuit or two ( I'm just down the road in Dundee )

Regards,
Herky

PS How about one of those Motion Platforms for your cockpit floorTongue

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Feb 2011 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by Herky Herky wrote:

nthusimShocked

Good lord! and here I am faffing about trying to decide on TH2GO versus SLI versus ATI on 22" monitorsEmbarrassed

Hey Tom, If you get a simulator like those on nthusim, you could charge admission fees and rent the sim out at £? per hourBig%20smile.   Let me know I'll bob round for a circuit or two ( I'm just down the road in Dundee )

Regards,
Herky

PS How about one of those Motion Platforms for your cockpit floorTongue

oh how I laughed  Your more than welcome to have a shot one it's finished, (might be a while though!)free of charge for forum members of course! oh how I laughed 

Do you fly in R/L? I'm doing my PPL at Dundee airport, have you had a shot on their Alsim simulator? 

I'd love one of those Motion Platforms!  I had a shot at one at the Duxford Airshow, a bit out my my budget though!Wink

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 1:13pm

Hopefully building the shell this weekend, it's going to cost quite a lot in wood thoughOuch

Date Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 2:25pm
Its coming on well Tom.

With suitable bracing 6mm MDF should be fine.

Hitachi are an alright brand, I've used many things from them before. Not bad at all!

-------------

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 6:23pm
Hi, I started on the cockpit shell today and have got quite far already, it still needs a lot more strapping to reinforce it, but it's coming on well. 

Here are a few pics:

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 12:05am

You'll need an interface board/encoder which has multiple inputs (or a matrix of inputs on it), which will connect back to the machine via USB.

Then, depending on which one you go for, it'll either appear as a virtual controller device, or allow you to assign keystrokes/values to the switch inputs.

And you can map those within the sim or as custom controls using FSUIPC.

There are a few different models - I don't have any knowledge on them beyond the above.

You'll need to be able to solder most likely!

I was planning on using the interface boards from FlyEngravity as part of their desktop MIP series for all the various instrumentation, and then use an additional controller for any other inputs I'd want to model.

If you look around many of the sim pit builder websites/forums, you'll get a feel for what everyone is using. Be careful which one you go with and ensure if you're on x64 windows that there's a driver for it.

The best interfacing system by far, far, far is the Openccokpits range of boards. They are not only the cheapest, but the scripting program is easy to use and their product range is just... Huge.Big%20smile

I have built many of my own cotnrols from scratch; from Servo-Driven realworld instruments to a Boeing 767 CDU Unit. All work with 99% of aircraft.

My entire 767 Overhead, approximately 2/5 complete, is made fom Opencockpits boards. My most recent achievement, getting 7-Segment displays to work with FSX, has also been done with an OC product. I have also gotten LCD display units to work, although these are much more complex and require advanced scripting and soldering skills before use.

Tom, if you want some advice on the building, scripting and/or interfacing boards, PM me and I cansend you a fair bit of information on what you want.

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 10:12am
Thanks for the reply AA, I've sent you a PM. 

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 8:28pm
Got some more strapping/support attached to the Sim frame now and it's starting to become a lot stronger.  I should hopefully have all the framing complete by Wednesday so stay posted for more pics.  Thumbs%20Up

Also, going back to the projector, for me to use a wrap round screen, how many projectors would I need.  Most sims seem to use 3, but that would get really expensive, would it be possible to get away with one?

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 9:11pm
A single projector will give a certain amount of coverage but you'll need a cyclindrical or spherical screen together with nthusim to pre-wrap the output. Twin projectors will give a wide coverage but then you'll need the pro version of nthusim - same with three projectors.

Depends on the area you want to cover and the type of projectors (throw distance)

My experience goes that far - I'm asking similar questions myself. Suggest you sign up on the nthusim board and post a question.

Date Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 9:32pm
Twin isn't ideal as the "join" would be in the center of the forward view, which could be irritating if there were any alignment issues.

One or three would be the best plan, but you'll need a fairly recent projector to get a decent resolution on it. Ideally you'll be looking for HD to get widescreen to wrap rather than 1280x1024, and short throw to make the throw distance less of an issue.

However, most short throws don't come in high HD resolutions, and ones that do are around £1k. Mine is an InFocus, cost around the 1k mark and does 720p with 150" diagonal from a 1.2m throw distance. I'm planning on using 3 if I ever build the full pit, with a newer model to get a higher res out of it.

I'm tempted to try a curved set up on a sheet just as a test in the near future, but I don't have the time to do it presently.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 7:43am
Thanks guys , I think I'll just use 1 projector, having 3 would get too expensive, with the need of Trpilehead2go etc.  I think I should still get quite a large field view from just the one, I hope it manages to stretch round to the side window I've made.

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 12:36pm

I think I should still get quite a large field view from just the one, I hope it manages to stretch round to the side window I've made.

Depends on where you can mount the projector and it's throw distance. Also, you'll still need nthusim is you want to project onto a curved screen, otherwise the image will be distorted.

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 2:53pm
Another advantage of short throw is the stupidly high projection angle, so you can get the projector display down the back of spaces you won't get a standard throw projector image. (i.e. in between your cockpit housing/screen).

As an example, I can stand very very close to the wall I use to project on, and the image doesn't project onto me unless I stand right in the middle and put my hand up, so you can get really close to the screen without getting in the way of the image.

Given the shell you've built already, where abouts are you going to mount the projector? The shell is quite tall/boxy at the front, if you mount a projector towards the back of the shell, unless it's really high up, the top of the shell will likely get in the way.

Would be an idea to point the shell at a wall approximating the screen position, and position the projector showing an image so you know what you can get away with - before you build a substantial amount of the shell structure.

Given that you want to wrap the image around the sides, you'll have to have the screen a long way from the shell (which will give you a noticeable gap, and take up loads of space), or use a short throw projector.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 2:56pm
This explains the above rather well - think of the bloke as the top of your cockpit

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 12:13am

Given that you want to wrap the image around the sides, you'll have to have the screen a long way from the shell (which will give you a noticeable gap, and take up loads of space), or use a short throw projector.

Or even rear project.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 7:43am
Thanks Magic and Slopey, I think that once the shell is complete I'll move it into the correct position than work out the best position for the projector.  That diagram you posted, Slopey was interesting, I always just assumed that the further back the bigger the image. 

Posted By: MartinW
Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 8:32am

Or even rear project.

Would that mean the image was reversed left to right. Or does rear projection include a method of reversing it back?

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 10:58am
rear project will work fin if you have the space there is a mathmatial equsion tor I have done it for slide shows you need a light meter and look up the data Cry[or am I to old]Cry

-------------

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Or even rear project.

Would that mean the image was reversed left to right. Or does rear projection include a method of reversing it back?

I would hope mirror image would be an option on most projectors, if not then you can get software that'll do the job at the driver level.

Date Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 1:23pm

Thanks Magic and Slopey, I think that once the shell is complete I'll move it into the correct position than work out the best position for the projector.  That diagram you posted, Slopey was interesting, I always just assumed that the further back the bigger the image. 

In general, yes - the further back, the bigger it gets, but it's the dimensions of the projection "cone" which are interesting in your scenario. Some projectors have a zoom control which lets you play with it.

Get the shell into position, put your sheet/projection surface/wall in place, and work out what size/dimensions you'll need to cover it.

Then go to projectorcentral.com, look for "Calculator Pro" on the left hand menu near the bottom, find your projector and enter the screen dimensions you require, and it'll tell you the throw distance you'll need.

From that, you'll be able to figure out if a) you have a suitable throw distance available, and b) if the cockpit structure will impede the image at that given throw distance.

If it does, you'll either need to go rear projection (but that'll require enough distance which might be limiting given the room dimensions), or go short throw (or go short throw/rear projection!). (The calculator will also suggest models to fit a throw distance/screen size which is very useful).

Note that there are "Ultra-short throw" projectors now available - you could pretty much put one of those suckers only inches away from the surface (i.e. at the front of the pit below the cockpit windows, and you'll still get a large projection size.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 4:25pm
I received the guard switches in the post today, they look really good, just need the switches to go inside them now!  Unfortunately need to wait until I have a bit more money before I can order from Opencockpits.  I'm planning to make 2 magneto switches and a trim wheel, it will probably cost about £90 for the materials at Opencockpits. Wacko

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 7:47pm
Haha, I've got loads of those switches at homeBig%20smile. I'm planning on using them for the CVR and emergency lighting controls on my 767 Overhead.

BTW: the £90 from Opencockpits isn't "Just" for the mag and trim wheel. If you think about it, those cards support many, many inputs each, so buying one card will support a mag  switch, trim wheel, lighting panel, gear lever, etcSmile.

-------------

Date Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 7:54pm
BTW: the £90 from Opencockpits isn't "Just" for the mag and trim wheel. If you think about it, those cards support many, many inputs each, so buying one card will support a mag  switch, trim wheel, lighting panel, gear lever, etcSmile.
Yes, that's true, for now I'm focusing only on the trims and mags, but no doubt I'll go full out and do the lot!oh how I laughed

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:23pm
Unfortunately couldn't buy the MDF today due to the weather.  It's been rain all day and the only way I could transport the wood would be onto of the car which is less than practical in the heavy rain.  Hopefully I should be able to get it tomorrow. 

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:35pm
An alternative to OpenCockpits fiddling, is just to go buy a controller with the appropriate switches, then take it apart and remodel it with your switches mounted on the panel.

i.e. - the Saitek Pro Flight Panel is going to give you the mags, Gear and 13 other switches for £60. Take it to bits and solder your new switches to the board.

Job done, with a nice USB mappable interface, with no switch input/matrix programming required.

Trim is a bit more difficult, but I'd rip apart a CH Pro yoke for that, or try and find a cheap yoke on ebay and use that. It's just a potentiometer, so again, run wires out to a pot mounted horizontally, and stick on a trim wheel, or make one out of MDF.

Next time you're in Tayside, it'd be worth asking the maintenance boys in the portacabin if they've got any cockpit junk they're going to skip - you might well get a trim wheel or some more bits out of them.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:40pm
Thanks Slopey, I've already got the Saitek Pro Flight panel, however it's only got 1 magneto switch so it's not ideal for realistic startups in dual engine aircraft, plus there is no trim wheel.  I could buy the Go-flight trim wheel, but I'm not a fan and the price of that would equate to the opencockpits materials. 

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:42pm
Next time you're in Tayside, it'd be worth asking the maintenance boys in the portacabin if they've got any cockpit junk they're going to skip - you might well get a trim wheel or some more bits out of them.
Brilliant idea Slopey, I'm there tomorrow (hopefully going solo, but wx not looking great) I'll try my luck!  oh how I laughed

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:49pm
The wx looks rubbish for tomorrow, but at least you'd only be going for a circuit, so you might manage . I'm waiting for the wx to clear up here then I need to go do some t&g's at Dundee or Fife to get current again.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 8:54pm
there's a Plan B for a trim setup + switches: http://www.flightsim.com/main/howto/trimdev.htm - http://www.flightsim.com/main/howto/trimdev.htm (ignore the abhorration he's built, the circuit diagram is the useful bit).

And you'll get a gameport to USB adapter for £8-12. I think I might investigate those for a few bits and bobs myself.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 9:02pm
Thanks, I'll take a look at that article, looks pretty interesting. 

Hope you get your t&g's at Dundee or Fife soon, I was offered a solo circuit at Fife about 3 weeks ago but turned it down as I hadn't been to Fife in a while so wasn't too familiar with the pattern, not to mention the shorter runway and I was with an instructor that I have never flown with before. 

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 10:25pm
TomA320 keep the photos comeing I will make a DVD slide show of progress

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 12:33am

there's a Plan B for a trim setup + switches: http://www.flightsim.com/main/howto/trimdev.htm - http://www.flightsim.com/main/howto/trimdev.htm (ignore the abhorration he's built, the circuit diagram is the useful bit).

And you'll get a gameport to USB adapter for £8-12. I think I might investigate those for a few bits and bobs myself.

Or get a cheap usb gamepad.You'll have connections for a number of analogue axis together with a number of digital buttons.

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 8:55am
Originally posted by GEOFFERS GEOFFERS wrote:

TomA320 keep the photos comeing I will make a DVD slide show of progress

Thanks for the offer, that would be great, expect a few more pics up tonight. 

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 9:46am
on VISTA its best thay are over 100 kb but they can be as low as 40-50KB small[good if 5-6MB] oh how I laughed

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 5:12pm
Hey Tom..take a look at this:-

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=41358 - http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=41358

AND this was for just the Black Shark........Wink

Cheers,
Herky

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 7:45pm
Yes the above video uses the Openccokpits Cards and SIOC language.

-------------

Posted By: dodgy-alan
Date Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 6:07pm
If you want switches of various types the best place to start would be your local breakers yard. They may not be aircraft ones but they will be cheap and you'll have hundreds to choose from. Get a fairly new write off and you'll have modern looking switchgear for peanuts!Wink

-------------
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 7:33pm
Thanks for the advice Alan, I'll look into it. 

Here are a few more pics of the cockpit shell.  It's really strong now and I managed to get the first bit of MDF up today.  Got the MDF at Wicks, 1207mm length, 607 breadth and 3mm thick for £5.09 which was a good price compared to B&Q.   

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2011 at 9:36pm
Are you going to be mounting the projector on the first 1/2 of the roof of the cockpit? i.e. where it's slanted? If not, I doubt you'll get it to project where you want. That cross member at the top front is going to get right in the way.

You'll also need to put some serious dwangs in to mount the projector on, they're usually a good few kgs.

You should really play with projector positions and the calculator before you get too far with the build otherwise you'll have the box to sit in but won't be able to adequately project the image size you want.

Have you managed to test it yet?

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 9:19am
Hi, Slopey, yes I have managed to test it both on the top of the simulator and on the sloped down side and it seems to work fine, projecting a pretty large image. 

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 10:59am
Wow!!, the project looks like its comeing along great!!! Cool

-------------

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 4:48pm
I've not got another sheet of MDF on the other side and have started framing the door as well.  More pictures to follow soon....Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: 20 Feb 2011 at 6:17pm
Hi Tom,

I'm sorry its been a while since I've replied on this thread.

I must say though its looking great! You're making a great job of the structure, keep up the good work!

Heinz

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 6:18pm
must say though its looking great! You're making a great job of the structure, keep up the good work!
Thanks Thumbs%20Up, unfortunately I've been really busy this week so not had any time to do the sim, but hopefully over the course of the weekend, you'll see a big improvement!

Date Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 1:45pm
I've managed to get the roof on now, and hopefully getting the back secured this afternoon.  I've now moved the sim into it's final position so more pictures to follow tonight. 

Meanwhile, here is a list of all the equipment that will be used:

Elite Yoke
E pedals
E King Air Throttle
X5 E avionics
XGA Hitachi projector
Saitek switch panel
Custom controls from opencockpits
Buttkicker
Dualhead2go with Project magenta software run over two screens. 
FSX + Add-ons

Can anybody recommend any other hardware? 
Thanks

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 6:16pm
Started to make really good progress and now got the door panels on as well, this has really strengthened the Sim so it hardly moves at all.  Here's a few pics:

So far I've only spent about £20 on the wood and screws which is pretty good.  Next stage will be to panel the inside and fill in the triangular shapes on each of the sides.  

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 7:05pm
Are the side window positions not a) really high up and b) a bit small? Are you putting a floating floor on it or will the seat be at floor level?

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 7:25pm
Those are not the windows!  oh how I laughed  As I said above, the next stage is to fill those in and cut out the proper window. 

Date Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 9:02pm
Ahhhh!

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2011 at 8:46pm
Have now got the roof fully on, tomorrow I'm hoping to get the front panels attached.  I think the shell should be pretty much finished for Sunday, but it will take weeks of painting and installing all the avionics etc before it will be up and running. 

Print Page | Close Window