Print Page | Close Window

New/existing User Welcome

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Trains
Forum Name: JT General Discussion
Forum Description: General discussion of Just Trains range of Rail/Train Simulator products
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1610
Printed Date: 28 Mar 2024 at 6:08pm

Topic: New/existing User Welcome
Posted By: reider
Subject: New/existing User Welcome
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 6:54pm
Please use this thread to introduce yourself to the Rail Sim forum.  Just a simple hello is sufficient, if you wish to tell us roughly where in the world you are then maybe we can create some sort of coverage map.  See how far we can extend.

I`m Steve, a train simmer for quite some time but only recently returned due to the better software coming out.  I live on the West coast of the UK in between Manchester/Liverpool at Warrington, Cheshire.

My hopes and aspirations for the Rail Sim scene are to see a route covering the West coast from Liverpool down to Sheffield.  On to York to join up with the present Newcastle/York route.  With additional sections down to Doncaster/S****horpe/Cleethorpes as that used to be my home area some 20 years ago and I still have family there now.  Here in Warrington we have 5 railway stations and one of them is a route to London so this would also be good to see.  Ultimately I guess I`d like to run a different start/finish route anywhere in the UK each time I start, only depending on where I wish to go.  Much like some of us do in FSX.

For the buffs, here are the Warrington Stations:

Liverpool<<W<<Sankey-Warrington Central-Padgate (my local station)-Birchwood>>>E>>Manchester

Blackpool<<N<<Bank Quay (another mainline station)>>S>>London

Reider

Replies:
Posted By: mutley
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 9:22pm
Hi Reider,
I am not  really into Rail Sim myself, that is SimUK's thing but I will sticky this post to make it more visible for replies.

Cheers

-------------
http://forum.mutleyshangar.com" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 9:28pm
Nice one Mutley, it all helps

Reider

Posted By: d9
Date Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 10:10pm
VFR flight simming is my main computer hobby, but I've been interested in railways since I was a child - and we still had steam then.  One of my local lines is the Great Western Main Line between Paddington and Oxford - I'm only ten miles from Maidenhead and Slough.  I want to see Birmingham New Street on the map...
As I said earlier, I haven't got Rail Simulator yet, a situation I hope to remedy at the end of the month.

Rob.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:01am
Originally posted by d9 d9 wrote:

VFR flight simming is my main computer hobby, but I've been interested in railways since I was a child - and we still had steam then.  One of my local lines is the Great Western Main Line between Paddington and Oxford - I'm only ten miles from Maidenhead and Slough.  I want to see Birmingham New Street on the map...
As I said earlier, I haven't got Rail Simulator yet, a situation I hope to remedy at the end of the month.

Rob.

Welcome to the Rail Sim part of the forum Rob.  When you do succumb to the treasures of Rail Sim I`m sure you`ll be as surprised as I was at how far the whole thing has advanced.  We have most of the useful add ons and stuff here, with help available.

Reider-Steve

Posted By: makatini
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 11:13am

Hi all,

I live in South Africa but spent 15 years in the UK (my second home!)  I have many wonderful memories of the UK train network.

I come from a "Steam Family" both my father and brother worked on SA Railways all their working life.  This led to countless opportunities to ride in the cab (experiences to treasure!).

I was the odd one in the family - choosing a career in Radio and TV which led to my current profession - a voice artist.  But I still have railways in my blood - hence  the love for train sims!   I am involved in another sim, creating the odd bit of content for it (90 items to date with almost 200,000 downloads)  Nice.  But it was time for a change and that is why I am so hooked on RS at the moment.

I sincerely hope that this sim and this forum will go from strength to strength.   I see a lot of people are "thinking of buying it" - why wait?  Jump in and get it and become part of this community - so far, I have had only pleasant experiences!  The more of us join, the better...

And once I discovered the pleasures of "Scenario Creation" (which will hopefully lead to content creation) the game opened up even more for me.  It is GREAT FUN!

It is fantastic to ride the routes I used to travel on in the UK (I even get a lump in the throat at times!).  The more UK routes that appear, the happier I will be!Big%20smile

Finally, a BIG word of thanks to Reider and SimUK who have helped me tremendously over the last few days - in fact they were instrumental in bringing the game to life for me.  So, you see, it is worth joining!

Well done, guys!

Mak

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 8:05pm
Welcome to the forum Mak.  My Uncle was born in the UK and has lived in SA for Years, in Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town.   A few more interested parties like yourself and Rob, and this part of the forum should start moving.  Pooling information is always the best way.

Hopefully a few others will see nobody bites and its easy to at least say hello.  After that its a matter of choice, but the ice has already been broken by then.  No over the top techie terms or having a go because people say the wrong thing. Thats what makes this forum all the more enjoyable to take part in.  Have fun and enjoy,

Reider

AKA Steve

Posted By: ICE
Date Posted: 17 Dec 2008 at 9:56am
Hi Everyone,

Only just found this wielcome topic (It's not as if it's at the top of the page! :))

I spend a lot of time photographing Trains, Aircraft and Wildlife - mostly birds!
When i'm not doing that i'm usually simming, mostly flight (Procedure airlines Boeings in particular!) and occasionally Rail - Trainz 2006, MSTS and Rail Sim!

Although from North Linc's I live with my girlfriend in  Somerset

Regards,

Hayden

Posted By: Darandio
Date Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 2:35pm
Hello everyone, some of you may already know me, some may not. At the moment, I am working on modernising the original "Newcastle to York" route and more information  can be found from the links in my signature. I look forward to contributing where possible!

Also, it won't fit in my signature along with the blog address so here is my Youtube channel as well:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/Darandio - http://www.youtube.com/user/Darandio

-------------
www.dpsimulation.org.uk

Posted By: Orpheus
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 7:37pm
Hi.  I'm new to this forum, although not new to sims or Just Trains.

For me,  the PC Train Sim is the convenient alternative to the Model Railway, something I've wanted for 50+ years, but never got around to, for various reasons.  

I've acquired Rail Simulator, MSTS, Trainz (2004, Classics & 2009), of which I've found TRS2004 to be the best.  That's because I find it the easiest for creating my own layouts, although it's not the most accurate in operation or appearance, and Auran seem to be tripping over their own feet in the rush to produce frequent new versions, all so far half-baked.  Maybe the takeover by N3VRF41L will straighten things out. 

Rail Simulator, on the other hand, looks quite good and operates well enough (and it's a lot more expensive), but I've never been able to get my brain round the World Editor.   I've tried many times, but I end up with no more than bits of track all over the show and an empty bottle of head-ache pills.  If RS had the easy-to-use style of Trainz in it's World Editor, or if Trainz had the quality of RS in it's appearance, life would be wonderful.

I abandoned MSTS quite early on, as being even more unmanageable as RS in it's layout creation option.

As far as I know, however, there aren't any other worthwhile products on the market, so I hope Trainz and RS can keep going until one of them produces the sim that is easy to build in and looks and sounds good.  I'd buy it.

Posted By: gliderace
Date Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 1:43am
Hi, everyone,
My name is Mike and I am new to the forum but not to Rail Sim and Just Trains. I live near the US- Canadian border in a town called Fort Erie. I enjoy photography, reading, music of all kinds and of course playing trains and planes on my Sims!!! I am hoping to eventually purchase Raqilworks, but am not sure if my current video card will handle it. It works fine for Rail Sim and FSX.

-------------
Gliderace

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 9:29am
Hi Mike,

Even though I live in Africa, I have heard of Fort Erie - strange things happen there!  .

Seriously, welcome to the forum.  I also have not bought Railworks yet purely because of the recession.   Food is more important at this stage!  However, I still use Railsim and like setting up scenarios.  Busy one's!  Fortunately my PC handles it well as I upgraded everything about a year ago.  

Memory seems to be all important.  I started of using 2GB cards but increased that to 4GB Corsair memory.  There is not much the PC can't handle.  I invested in an 8800 video card (asus) and the combination of the two seems to work really well.

It's a shame that they did not release a demo - then we could all see if it will work on our PC's.

"Raqilworks"?   Never heard of that one mate!  .

Enjoy the forum...

Mak

Date Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 1:29pm
Hey, Mak, thanks for the comeback! Raqilworks? It's a new product made by the application of a fat finger on the wrong part of the keyboard!
I agree a demo would be great. I am working with 1.5 gigs Kingston memory and the performance is such I dont feel the need to rush out and buy more. My card is an ATI Radseon HD2400.
Cheers mate!

-------------
Gliderace

Date Posted: 17 Aug 2009 at 5:02pm
Welcome to all, have fun and enjoy.  I have my FSX and RS/RW, now Trainz2009 forum here.  all I need is another forum for my Ship Sim too, Ship Sim2008 Collectors Edition.   Wouldn`t it be nice to see them all combined at some point?   Fly somewhere, get on the train, cruise..... if you wish Smile Smile

Steve

Posted By: cookie
Date Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 11:29am
Hi everybody. This is cookie. Have been a rail simmer since the birth of msts. I have moved on to railworks now and I think it's good value for your money compared to what I paid for msts years ago. Still go back to it with all my addons. I wish railwork was as easy as msts for making up consists. I'm 71 and suffer sometimes from essential tremor in my hands but Ikeep on simming. chuff, chuff. cookie

Posted By: adri952
Date Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 2:59am
Hi ppl  this adri952 I'm from Australia.
Like most people I'm originally from the UK and was fortunate to be one of the last passengers on the last steam train operating between Paddington and Dartmouth albeit at a very young age!!
I used to have MSTS but got fed up with that and reverted back to the various lives of FSfrom 98 to FSX it's truly amazing how far it's all come from polygons to the great graphics that are in use now.
I am using Rail Simulator but am faced with the problem of getting add ons.
any way that's enough ranting hope to hear from you all
Regards
Adrian : ) 

-------------
adrian

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 7:50am

Welcome to Cookie and Adrian!  And Cookie... - I am sooo impressed!   Never too old to have fun!  I am heading towards the big "60" next year and it is a date I have been dreading but reading your post gives me faith...  The weird thing is...I have the mind of a 25 year-old in the body of a 59 year-old.   All that experience - shame that the wimmen don't appreciate that!Evil%20Smile

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 11:54am
Hi Again
I am a believer in a tee shirt that i saw while in Vegas this year.
Quote I am not fifty I'm eighteen but with 32 years experience !!Wink
Seeing your remark about having the mind of a 25 year old in the body of  a 59 year old I'm reminded by the master ( Spike Milligan) I have the body of  a 18 year old,  yes it's in my fridge .
Have fun wherever you are
Adrian Cool

-------------
adrian

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 4:06pm
Hi Adrian

Can you believe that I worked with Spike in the 70's when I was working at a recording studio!?   It was one of the best experiences I have ever had...   A Great Memory stored away in my fridge.  Forever.
Cheers mate!

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 6:14pm
Hello Adrian;

Welcome to the forum! You can no longer buy add ons from the official sit for Railsim, however there are a lot of third party sites where they are still sold.   Most add ons for Railworks are backward compatible. I would recomend Newcastle to York Modern which is brand new and runs on both platforms. I have not yet graduated to Railworks but am thinking about it. Have fun on the forum. I am 62 in the body of a 25 year  old!
Cheers for now,
Michael.

-------------
Gliderace

Date Posted: 22 Nov 2009 at 12:56am
G'Day Mike,
Yeah I know that there are some third party sites out there it's a matter of finding them and also the fact that I'm a cheapskate and don't really like paying for credit card fees twice.
Once when you use the card and the second is when they convert it from $ AUD to whatever currency.
I suppose it'll have to wait for when I go back next or get my brother to get it for me as he lives in the general area of Just Flight HQ and mail it to me .
I know about the York- Newcastle Modern .
Cool 
Regards
Adrian

-------------
adrian

Posted By: avroanson
Date Posted: 16 Feb 2010 at 7:24pm
Hello all,
             I am new on this forum.I have been running the various sims as they came on to the market and enjoyed most.Obviously it is getting better with all the upgrades in speed and performance of computers. I have just got Railworks and so far so good.I just down loaded Rail Simulator demo and was surprised how simular it is to Railworks,is it the same people? I am now 74 and go back to the days when we collected train numbers,GWR was
my local rail.We used to wander around Old Oak Common sheds climbing up on the engines
those beautiful Kings & Castles.I once was invited on to the footplate of a little tank engine
4500 at West Ealing Station and we travelled up to Ealing Broadway,what a thrill! The main line down to the West Country ran through Ealing and we stood on a  footbridge collecting
numbers all sorts of engines passed through and visited the shunting area.Another first
was seeing the first engine numbered 10000 was that diesel or some sort of gas turbine,cannot remember. Enough of me,somehow rail gets into you doesn`t it?
 All the best,Alan

-------------
grumpy old man

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2010 at 8:57am
Why "grumpy old man"?  You don't sound like that at all!  .
I know what you mean by "somehow rail gets into you.."  once you have smelt the superheated steam, you are never the same again.  Steam only died over here in the late 70's (South Africa) and both my dad and brother worked on the rail - I was lucky enough to go with them in the cab on many wonderful occasions.   I am the only one in the family who did not pursue that career.  In fact, years later, I emigrated to England and lived in Ealing for a while.  I have never been so cold in my life!  I lasted 15 years and then came back home and have since been on a few Steam Excursions with my wife and young son.  He enjoyed it thoroughly as I expected he would.  Sadly, these excursions have also died out and only very expensive trips on Rovos Rail remains.  Only for the rich... 
Anyway, Alan, welcome to the group!

Posted By: deanbean10
Date Posted: 15 May 2010 at 12:38am
Hi
Im Dean :)
Im from Birmingham :D
Im a full time proper spotter :D
and play RW :) I would like to see Gloucester- Birmingham Line  :)
Im also 18 Years old :D
Im just about to graduate from college :P
I would some day want to work with current(XC)

Posted By: icbear
Date Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 10:03am
Hi Guys, I am new to the RailSimulator, although have been doing several other rail sims. Can anyone help me as to a question re operating the trains. Do I need a joy-stick or such?

I am a huge fan of TraiNZ as well as the 2D sims from Bahn 380. I also use the Rail3D free download as it is quite attentive to detail re routing.

Date Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 2:23pm
Hi,
You need nothing but your keyboard, all commands are keyboard based and there are three levels of driving skills, beginner, intermediate and advanced, each level taking you to a greater degree of realism and difficulty. There really is not a lot to it, the biggest thing is to set up your options properly at start up. Some versions of rail sim require you to set the language as English before you can make other adjustments. It is all fairly self explanatory.
Happy driving!
Best regards,
Michael

-------------
Gliderace

Posted By: CORH
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 9:20pm
Hi, Im butting in here, but I have just bought Rail Sim which looks great. I cannot find any useful guides on how to use so presume the download file has to do. Also can I assume that I need the updates Mk1 & 2 and an ything else useful. Any help appreciated. 

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 1:02am
Hello, how are you? Small world, my sister lives just accross the river in Hythe!
Anyway, you do not NEED mk1 and mk2, but they are a great improvement. You must install mk1 before you install mk2. This is very important as mk2 needs mk1 in order to work. Glad you like railsim, good luck and happy driving.
Michael.

-------------
Gliderace

Posted By: CORH
Date Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 8:41am
Hi Michael. Thanks for that. I Will download mk1 & 2 as suggested. It is indeed a small world. I used to work in Hythe.
Graham

Posted By: nimbus55
Date Posted: 15 Mar 2011 at 3:58pm
Hi all, I'm in Hertfordshire UK, I've been a rail enthusiast for many years and I thought how can I expand on this! I'm a newbie to Rail sims, just got RS(2007) for Vista and Voyager add-on. Did not realise that I would have to download the update to RW1&2 until after I had ripped out most of my hair!!!  Would have been helpful if this had been added to System requirements on the rear sleeve!  Anyway I've sussed it out now and I must say it's an excellent program and I'm well happy with the playing experience.  I have noticed however that the Voyagers seem to take for ever to come to a halt at stations, and I keep overrunning them, suppose that will come with practice.  Any way, it's nice to be here, and hello to everyone.
Bruce.

-------------
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, he who does not ask is a fool for life

Posted By: SimUK
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:30am
Hi Bruce,

Upgrade Mk1 and Mk2 were released after the product had been released, so that's why they aren't detailed on the back of the box (otherwise they would have been included on the disc!). They fix and upgrade various issues, and for the Rail Simulator products that required them we have included the fixes on our add-on discs.

You'll soon get used to the braking distances, trains take a lot longer than something like a car - all part of the skill of driving a train, it's much more complex than "a to b" that a lot of people think :)

Good luck!

Simon
Just Flight & Just Trains

Posted By: nimbus55
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 11:18am
Hi Simon and thank you, when I referred to including the information on the sleeve I meant on the sleeve of Voyager!
Nice to be with you all! Smile

-------------
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, he who does not ask is a fool for life

Posted By: Sarc
Date Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 6:23pm
Hi all,

Just a quick hello to introduce myself. My name is Paul, (also known as 'Sarc').

I've been visiting these forums for many moons and really enjoy reading the various topics and posts. Although I actually joined the forum quite a while ago, I've never managed to find the time to post anything myself, until now, mainly due to work commitments and the fact that I've been working fully on a new route for 'Train Simulator 2012'.

Hope it's okay for a forum newbie to immediately post some screenshots ... (which are at:  http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18706 - http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18706 ). They are of my completed route, 'Bishop Auckland to Darlington', which will soon be available from 'Just Trains'.

Cheers, and many thanks for such an excellent forum.

Sarc ... (aka Paul or Paulus)

website: http://www.dieseldo.scattybat.co.uk/rs/index.html - http://www.dieseldo.scattybat.co.uk/rs/index.html

Posted By: amazedbygrace
Date Posted: 16 Mar 2013 at 6:27am
Hi guys

New here love train sims!!

Live in bradford originally from Liverpool.

I own TS2013 which I manage to run on a laptop without a dedicated graphics card but I a looking to update my pc so I can have a bigger screen.
Love the old steam trains but adore the French TGV but not seen a TGV in a train sim. Does anyone know of one?

Also what program do you use to design the assets? Be it, trains, platforms, stations etc?

Thanks
Mark

Posted By: TrainsareinmyBlood
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 10:25am
Hi people,

I train-sim for a long time and enjoy every minute of playing.

The classic German railroads are my favourite and i hope once to ride the famous Rheingold all the way down from Hoek van Holland to Basel in the S3/6.

Living in the mid-eastern of the Netherlands alongside the railtracks from Rotterdam to the Rhurgebiet.

Mostly TS 2014, but occasionaly MSTS as well

Thanks for accepting me in youre community
Norbert

Posted By: atown99
Date Posted: 15 Oct 2014 at 6:02am
Well here goes. I have had a yearning to get into rail simming for some time now and as I have an APPLE Mac I purchased TRAINZ for Mac. Talk about involved. No instructions, poor forums, crook tutorials - mainly from smart b-----s who treated any enquiry as though you were a moron and in a nut shell disappointing. I have been Youtubing rail sims for a while now and and TS 2014 looks to be ok. Now a few questions if you will bear with me. Will it work on a MAC, What basics do I get for my money (UK/Aust xchange rate is lousy now Cry Can I get (download) various routes, rolling stock etc, are there instructions for all this, are there tutorials (I've found a couple which are great).
All in all, any help for starting off would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
atown99

Posted By: manners cost nothing
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2014 at 1:17am
New Kid on the block.
after years,and many many £s spent. can land the Boeing 767 er by LDS on the money. but looking at clouds for hours got lets say F-ing  boring.
I always loved trains so had a look and bought TS 2015. "but" needed more,FOUND JT LOL wallet now on empty. but boy I'M I loving it. now just like our opening poster Steve  I also live in the North West. I want to do London Euston To Man Pic. sorry can't WHY NOT IT'S A BUSY <very very busy apparently (mod)> MAIN ROUTE. or London to GLASGOW OR EDINBURGH. Wink stopping at exotic locations such as Birmingham New ST. Crewe Wigan. YOU GET THE DRIFT? me thinks some young programmers + other talents could make a good buck on this oneClap  < ="UTF-8" ="chrome://hdv//hdv.js" ="application/"> < ="UTF-8" ="chrome://hdv//hdv.js" ="application/"> < ="UTF-8" ="chrome://hdv//hdv.js" ="application/">

Edited for naughty language - please remember this forum is visited by younger sim enthusiasts.

-------------
Dinger

Posted By: Zulnex
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 11:24pm

Hello everyone.

I have finally found some free time to register. I have been playing many simulators since 2004. MSTS was actually my first game which I have played.

I have a few addons from Just Trains and I am quite happy with my latest purchase - U Bahn Frankfurt.

I am very happy to be here and wish everyone all the best.

Posted By: hifly
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 12:59pm
Hi Zulnex and welcome, I too have JT products and their 'Advanced' range is top notch although you might find the JT forum undersubscribed. The Steam/Dovetail Games forum is more active and usually friendly with plenty of helpful advice. It's worth a look.

-------------
Must Fly!

Posted By: Gerardgeek
Date Posted: 08 Jun 2016 at 9:39pm
Hi Reider

I've been into flight simming for many years however always been interested in railways ... just started train simming since I became aware of great improvements with the software to go along with improvements in hardware ... looking forward to seeing more routes opening up to explore and to visit areas I remember from my childhood ... thanks for the forum and for this opportunity to share our thoughts

Ken

Posted By: Schmidtrock
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2016 at 1:20pm
Hello all from Asheville, NC USA
New train simmer longtime flight simmer. 51 years old, kid at heart, Army Combat vet.
Have been running Run8 for a couple of weeks now and love the  multiplayer aspect for prototypical
RR operations. Downloading TS 2010 right now for what looks to be awesome model railroading features. My grandfather and uncle both worked for SCL/CSX and grandpa and I had a pretty awesome layout many years ago. Looking forward to being able to do this on the PC and take up far less room! Anyway, enough of that, hello to all!
Kevin

Posted By: AuscGWR
Date Posted: 19 Dec 2016 at 12:31pm
Gday all from down under.
I have been interested in the Great Western Railway from a child
The Hornby Catalogue with a Castle designed by CB Collett had a real fascination
The more I read about the history of the GWR and its history just fuelled the interest
I had a model railway as a child and took the interest into my adult life
I have a decent collection of GWR railway books and recently discovered Train Simulator 2016
The chance to have a large collection of stream locomotives and railway operation is impressive
I had the chance to see Pendennis Castle and Flying Scotsman in Perth and double head a train to Northam and back in 1988 what a experience
So Hello to all
Ken

Posted By: RedOne
Date Posted: 30 Dec 2017 at 10:47am
Hello from South Somerset, hoping for some advice on a train sim for lines across Canada.
Regards, Roger

Posted By: wiccanwolfie
Date Posted: 02 Jun 2018 at 10:48pm
Hello everyone

I'm Wolfie from the UK

Print Page | Close Window