Print Page | Close Window

Election 2010 Results Here

Printed From: Just Flight Forum
Category: Just Chat
Forum Name: Just Chat - General Discussion
Forum Description: Forum for shootin' the breeze about subjects not relating to Flight Simulation or aviation
URL: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13682
Printed Date: 27 Apr 2024 at 10:16am

Topic: Election 2010 Results Here
Posted By: VulcanB2
Subject: Election 2010 Results Here
Date Posted: 06 May 2010 at 10:32pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/ - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/election2010/results/

* Hopes for a hung parliament! *

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Replies:
Posted By: AirbusLad
Date Posted: 06 May 2010 at 11:29pm
i voted at 7AM this morning... fingers crossed it was woth it. 

-------------
MacBook Pro | 15inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display | Quad core Intel i7 2.3GHz | 8GB DDR3 | 512GB Solid State Drive

iPad 3 16GB Wi-Fi
iPad 2 16GB Wi-Fi
iPhone 4S
iPhone 3GS

Posted By: Slopey
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:02am
As regards voting irregularity...

If a polling station runs out of ballot papers, that imho is totally unacceptable.

If lists at the polling stations are not updated with current voters, that is totally unacceptable.

If a load of students turn up at 21:55 without polling cards (which slows down the process), then TOUGH. 10 PM is the deadline, if you're not in the building by then, you're stuffed. And if you're that bothered, you should have got there earlier (or voted by post or proxy).

As regards polling stations which have doors open past 10 PM, that is against the law, and totally unacceptable.

-------------
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:11am
And queuing for 2 hours and not being able to vote is also unacceptable.

With the exception of the piles of students turning up late doors, it sounds like there's a really mess in several constituencies.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:19am
Quote As regards polling stations which have doors open past 10 PM, that is against the law, and totally unacceptable.

Is it definitely illegal? There seems to be some uncertainty over this point. One polling station remained open until 2230.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:40am
The Electoral Commission has spoken:

* Those issued with a ballot paper MUST BE ALLOWED TO VOTE

* Those locked outside the polling station at 2200 or later CAN NOT VOTE

* Those locked inside the polling station WITHOUT a ballot paper CAN NOT VOTE

* Doors must be closed at 2200.

This is the law. Apparently if it is broken, the constituency in question will be subject to a petition. The Electroal Commission are calling for reforms to the way people can vote so this doesn't happen again.

It is looking like there may be a legal challenge.

In one constituency it is looking like there may be riots.

The Conservatives want change, change this:

* Proprtional representation

* New laws regulating voting (i.e. if you turn up to vote, you can). Even in Africa they kept the polling stations open for days longer than planned so everyone could vote! It is disgusting that we can not in the UK.

Where are the people who monitor elections? Why aren't they monitoring OURS?

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Posted By: Odai
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:43am

As much as I disagree with the system, and as much as I dislike these political parties, I have to admit this stuff is really interesting. Big%20smile

As long as I don't wake up tommorow (today?) to find Cameron is our PM I'm happy. Tongue 

EDIT: Cool, you can keep up with the results of your local area.

-------------
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:59am
The markets are responding favorably to the current situation. They're reporting they just opened the Bond markets, and that Sterling is trading 1 cent up against the Dollar.

The Tories claimed that a hung parliament would mean bad things for the UK economically, and that the IMF would step in, but that is utter rubbish. Experts were saying a few days ago that the markets are pretty calm regarding either kind of outcome, either hung or Con.

Of course, we don't know what deals have been done or promised ahead of the election (or long ahead of the election...).

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 2:38am
Count faster!!!!! Evil%20Smile

-------------

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 6:06am
Nah - it is a pretty good bet that it will be a hung parliament.

Hopefully it will be a Labour/Lib Dem coalition. Keep the Tories away from power!!

Any budget cuts will have to be made by any party, and I doubt that the cuts, interest rate and tax rises to follow would be that different between the parties, but the Conservatives would do far more damage than that to the country!

Cameron must be rather annoyed at not getting into No. 10 and missing out on that tax free salary.

Assuming a Labour/Lib Dem coalition, and assuming they can make it work for more than a couple of months, I will bet that there will be a Tory leadership challenge and Cameron will be kicked out on a vote of no confidence. If he couldn't do it now, they wouldn't think he could do it later. He couldn't do it in 2005 either.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Posted By: M31
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 7:12am
[Removed by moderator]

Wont make a jot of difference.

Are we done now?

Posted By: MartinW
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:24am
M31... Just a little word, the use of bad language isn't allowed according to the forum rules.

And if you keep interjecting and attempting to derail political discussion that is allowed in the ''Chat'' section, I don't think it will be looked upon favorably by the moderators.

Be a good lad please. Smile

The bottom line, is if you aren't interested in a topic, don't contribute, don't even click your mouse on the topic.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:29am
As long as I don't wake up tomorrow (today?) to find Cameron is our PM I'm happy. Tongue 

this one we agree on Odai. Big%20smile

Hopefully it will be a Labour/Lib Dem coalition. Keep the Tories away from power!!

I'm with you as well Pointy. Big%20smile

Any nonsense the conservatives come out with, regarding coalition government being a negative, is based on the failed coalition government in the seventies, but this is not the seventies, it's a country in a different political situation, the parties themselves are different in many ways.

Coalitions can work.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:44am
Problem is, if Labour are back in and they don't cut spending, that'll damage the markets and the economy.

The UK is a good place to invest in at the moment. Not tied to the Euro with a much stronger economy than some of the other Eurozone countries. But if the deficit continues to rise at the current rate, investors will get spooked that down the line it could go Greek and will resort to the Dollar instead.

The £ is already down slightly on the uncertainty, but it's being eclipsed by the Greek tragedy. We'll know more next week once the market has had the weekend to digest the power brokering.

Another 5 years of that joker Broon - God help us!

Unite will be laughing all the way to the picket line. They'll prevent any serious cost cutting, and have massive leverage over the Labour coalition. The NI increase will hurt business for sure and there'll be more disparity between public and private sector job cuts.

Labour won't have the stomach to battle the Union and the populace won't take kindly to the strikes.

On the up side, if the Liberals go into coalition with Labour, and Labour perform as dire as usually, both of them will end up being despised which will give the Torys a clear run next time.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Posted By: M31
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:46am

Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

M31... Just a little word, the use of bad language isn't allowed according to the forum rules.

Martin, Just a little word.

I wondered when you would use the magic wand, Martin (Bad language, you are having a laugh mate) to cast me down, you know we don't agree on here, and please don't try to deny it. I'll save you the bother mate ... I'll not post here any more, and that's a promise. You Win.

I've deleted my details, also all contact from Just Flight can now be considered SPAM.

Just another reason politics should be kept off boards like this, especially when Mods go into Bully Mode.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 10:10am
Bad language, you are having a laugh mate

References to male genitalia are definitely regarded as bad language.

you know we dont agree on here, and dont try to deny it.

You have every right to disagree with points made and opinions. Feel free. We welcome it.

But you don't have a right to object to forum members choice of topics and apply pressure for that topic to be curtailed. That sir is immature and selfish and not the behavior we would expect from a mature man.

I am absolutely sure every other member on the forum and all moderators would agree with me on that.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:15am
Mr Brown, whose party has 247 seats so far, has returned to Downing Street with aides and may turn to Nick Clegg's Lib Dems, who have so far won 51 seats, to try to form a coalition government.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8667071.stm - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/election_2010/8667071.stm

Well, hung it is, with the LIb Dems not doing anywhere near as well as expected.

As for poll station issues, with some queuing for hours and not getting to vote...

My wife used to be a presiding officer at the poll stations, and many times she has come home and told me how busy it was, and not enough of them to handle all the votes. So despite the extra people the councils employed to do it, no surprise really given the big turnout.

Quote Senior Labour figures have said that under the rules of Britain's constitution, the sitting prime minister in a hung parliament makes the first attempt at forming a ruling coalition.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:35am
Nick Clegg has said that the Conservatives must demonstrate that they can rule in the interest of the country, and that they will consider working with them.

The bonus is that the Conservatives will be forced to rule in the interest of the country and not the party, and not just make a statement to that effect.

We need to wait and see, and that could be a few days.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:42am
It'll be interesting. I'd be perfectly happy with a Con minority supported by the Dems, or a Con/Dem coalition, so that's quite nice.

Big up to Cleggy for not flip-flopping as usual and trotting off to No 10 for a chat, but there's no love lost between him and Gordon.

Maybe if the Prince of Darkness knives Brown for Millibland Snr they might get to the table?

I'm surprised the Dems haven't just gone for Labour coalition to get their foot in the door but Clegg doesn't appear to be stupid.

I did hear an interesting piece on Radio 4 this morning - the Dems have a choice between being a pressure group or a serious political party. If they support from the sides, they stay as a pressure group, if they form a coalition they're trying to become a serious contender.

Given the internal structure of the Dems, I wonder what the party membership would prefer.

All very interesting, but it'll take a while for anything to happen methinks.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:56am
The Conservatives are showing their true colors already!

The in-fighting has already begun, the blame-game has started amongst Conservative politicians over the election, and the Conservatives have said that they will **NOT** entertain political reform as part of any deal with the Lib Dems.

They are also talking about a voting system of Alternative Vote, not Proportional Representation.

It is rubbish that PR creates "weak governments" (according to the Conservatives). The Conservatives don't like it as they don't get absolute power.

We must have PR. The Conservatives are already breaking any hint that they want to move away from "the old politics".

No surprises here so far.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:03pm
Agree with you Pointy. Thumbs%20Up

Those who don't agree with us posses Neanderthal genes... the BBC said. Wink

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:17pm
The Lib Dems have said that if the Conservatives will not consider political reform, they will only support them in part.

They are now suggesting a Labour/Lib Dem coalition.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Posted By: Rich
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:19pm
Going to get messy... very messy

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Just-Flight/15266573498" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:35pm
Quote They are now suggesting a Labour/Lib Dem coalition.

Flip - Flop - Flip - Flop

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:39pm
Hmmm....... I wouldn't say that just yet.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 12:50pm
I think a Lab/Lib coalition is the most likely, but we'll see at 2.30pm.

The problem for the Tories is with a minority government or a coalition there's a very real risk of another election in a year or so. Given whoever gets into power has some unpopular decisions to make, it might be better from a Tory perspective to let Lab/Lib do it and then decimate them at the polls next time than go it alone, and incur the unpopularity.

If they'd had a majority, they'd have 5 years to get it done and get through it, but without that, it may be worth keeping their powder dry to get a "proper" term in a year or so (and possibly an easier victory).

The thing is dressing it up so it doesn't look like they're avoiding a minority government for that reason, but McBroon is desperate to stay in, so it's likely not a problem.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Posted By: Magic Man
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:10pm
It does strike me as slightly odd though that we have a system that allows a losing party to stay in power just because the winner didn't beat them by enough votes. And then that losing part to keep hold of power by joining with a third party that had relatively little votes but just enough to mean the two combined is more than the winner had...

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:13pm
Hence the need for electoral reform.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:13pm
I think a Lab/Lib coalition is the most likely, but we'll see at 2.30pm.

It would seem so, their policies are more alike.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:18pm
Thing is, if Labour agree to political reform, the next election will (hopefully) be PR, so with any luck this will be the last time we have this mess anyway.

Just over an hour to go...

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:22pm
Not exactly an advert for democracy is it, the current electoral system? But you can bet the Conservatives and labour will fight tooth and nail to retain it, because it keeps the game between the two of them.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:22pm
But political reform won't happen over night, and the financial crisis will take center stage. Chances of getting voting reform through before a coalition collapses? Not good.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:25pm
That's based on the 1970's farce though Slopey. Wilson's government wasn't it? Wasn't it Michael Foot that was involved for the Liberals? Can't remember.

Doesn't mean it will definitely go that way this time, could well be a successful coalition... maybe. Big%20smile

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 1:38pm
Maybe, but whoever forms a government will have difficult decisions to make, and I'll bet that it won't be 5 years before the next election, and also that the incumbent pays for the required measures at the ballot box.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 3:01pm
Michael Foot was Labour.

What does Cameron mean by "no compromise on Europe"?????

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Posted By: Marmite
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 3:22pm

Agree with you Pointy. Thumbs%20Up

Those who don't agree with us posses Neanderthal genes... the BBC said. Wink

Really? and you say this after editing M31's post for bad language Ouch

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 3:39pm
Not sure what your saying there marmite. It was humour, not connected to any incident on the forum.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Michael Foot was Labour.

What does Cameron mean by "no compromise on Europe"?????

Best regards,
Vulcan.

was he, it was a long time ago, can'tyvremeber.

"no compromise on Europe"?????

probably means he still wants to be connected with that extreme right wing group the Conservatives are pals with.

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 4:06pm
It means that Europe isn't up for discussion during coalition/support talks.

Liberals are pro-europe, Torys are more skeptical and want to take powers back. The Euro question is moot while it descends into the abyss.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 5:44pm
CAMERON wants to have the option of different ways of running a minority Government. He won't give *US* the option. HE will have the option.

They want a MONITORITY Government, not a coalition.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Posted By: CaptCosslett
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 6:04pm

I think by Monday, we will have a new PM and it will be David Cameron. But unless David fails to convince Nick to form a coalition goverment togrether, we will be back to polls within a year.  

Posted By: Aircraft Aviation
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by CaptCosslett CaptCosslett wrote:

I think by Monday, we will have a new PM and it will be David Cameron.

Lets hope that doesn't happen...

-------------
http://forum.mutleyshangar.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3698">

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by CaptCosslett CaptCosslett wrote:

I think by Monday, we will have a new PM and it will be David Cameron. But unless David fails to convince Nick to form a coalition goverment togrether, we will be back to polls within a year.  

The Lib Dems say they will not be moved on proportional representation, which the Conservatives are dead against, quite simply because it will means they won't win the next election. So unless Cameron is prepared to make a very big concession it's not on. Some have suggested he will agree to a referndum. We will see.

I notice that what Cameron has offered so far, is only what the Conservatives were going to do anyway, so no concessions at all at this juncture.

Posted By: CyprusAirwaysA330
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 6:31pm
Why is everyone so anti-Conservative?  Clearly the country thinks they are the best - therefore they should be in power, either by minority government or by a coalition with the Lib Dems.

-------------
http://www.speedtest.net">

Posted By: 767nutter
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 7:00pm
Why is everyone so anti-Conservative?  Clearly the country thinks they are the best - therefore they should be in power, either by minority government or by a coalition with the Lib Dems.

I was thinking along the same lines, why do some think Labour should still be in power or at least part of it?

The one reason i dont like labour is they lie, one example being that they said we would get a referendum on the EU treaty, did we? No, woke up one day and saw the headline that David Milliband had signed it, Bravo!!

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by CyprusAirwaysA330 CyprusAirwaysA330 wrote:

Ha... Big%20smile Actually no. Add together all the liberal, labour and other party votes, and ''the country'' does not favor the Conservatives.

Plus, what was it 58% of people voted, the others favoured who???

With 8604358 votes for labour, and 6827938 votes for Lib Dem, thats not the ''country wanting conservative''.

Posted By: CyprusAirwaysA330
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 7:54pm

Originally posted by CyprusAirwaysA330 CyprusAirwaysA330 wrote:

Ha... Big%20smile Actually no. Add together all the liberal, labour and other party votes, and ''the country'' does not favor the Conservatives.

Plus, what was it 58% of people voted, the others favoured who???

With 8604358 votes for labour, and 6827938 votes for Lib Dem, thats not the ''country wanting conservative''.

Fine - you got me on my wording there.  But those 58% don't want the same thing, and the Conservatives represent the largest single view.

-------------
http://www.speedtest.net">

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 8:29pm

As I have said before, By Monday we will have a new PM - David Cameron. David will offer Nick the job of deputy PM - Deal done. Do we really want Gordo as PM for the next five years? Labour has always left goverment with the country in a worst position than when they started with.

Posted By: twright
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 9:28pm
What's wrong with Cameron?  I think he'd make a good PM.  Far better than Brown anyway.  That wierd way he inhales during a speech winds me right up.  We need someone charismatic and fresh-faced.  Gordon's just dull. 

My local constituency has always been Conservative.  We've got Boris' brother now!

-------------
Kind regards,
Tom

Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 10:19pm
Don't be so sure that the Torys will dismiss PR. If PR was in place at this last election they'd have won even more seats! So, it may favour them in the short term. However, it won't favour them after 2 years of heavy cost cutting.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Posted By: 737Chris
Date Posted: 07 May 2010 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

What's wrong with Cameron? 

We need someone charismatic and fresh-faced.  Gordon's just dull. 

My local constituency has always been Conservative.  We've got Boris' brother now!

Whats wrong with Cameron - Fresh faced and charismatic

Thats no reason to vote somebody in IMO, we need somebody who will do the country good even if they do look miserable all the time, and not end up just helping people who are already able to help themselves. I have every reason to believe that Cameron is just a shiny coating on the same old Conservative machine. I used to lean towards conservative (believe it or not) but then one day I woke up . . .

Labour IMO is the best balance. All this "13 years of Labour ruining Britain" is rubbish. Tony Blair was very good I think, its just that ridiculous decision he made to tie himself to a lead and let George Bush take him where ever he wanted. Granted Brown hasn't been brilliant. . . I cant defend that. . . .but look at the financial situation we're in, I would feel a little bit safer knowing that our PM had experience with the economy.

Anyway, all we can do is wait and see what happens.

@767Nutter.

Labour Lie. . . . .so does every single other political party!

-------------
Generic forum signature

Date Posted: 08 May 2010 at 8:49am
 But those 58% don't want the same thing, and the Conservatives represent the largest single view.

And we have a fundamentally flawed electoral system.

What's wrong with Cameron? 

Disingenuous, never tells us how the Conservatives will fund anything, latches on to tabloid hysteria in an attempt to win votes, misrepresents liberal democrat policies, etc, etc... 

That wierd way he inhales during a speech winds me right up. 

That proves it then Cameron is better because of the way he breaths.

However, it won't favour them after 2 years of heavy cost cutting.

Which is why I doubt they'll be open to PR, unless they can factor in a dodgy trick or two.

Chris: Well said, good post, we are on the same wavelength with many things. Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: FSaddict
Date Posted: 08 May 2010 at 10:57am
What i find interesting about this hung parliment, is that Nick Clegg finds himself a very powerful position.

As regards to M31 i believe the term is "trolling" or "flaming"

Date Posted: 08 May 2010 at 4:20pm
@767Nutter.

Labour Lie. . . . .so does every single other political party!

That is true, but i would rather have a party that lies about trivial things than Labour who lied on a issue that affected this country massively,

Also you might say the Tories might have the same plans as Labour but are hiding it to get favour from people who dislike Labour in the first place, how do we know? We dont, but its a chance that you take at every election, and all i am saying is that as Labour have actually proved that they dont listen to the majority of the country , why are we saying they are still better for the job?

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 11:41am
As I have said before, By Monday we will have a new PM - David Cameron.

Not a difficult conclusion Captain C! When we consider that labour/Lib Dem wouldn't have much of a majority, and Clegg dislikes Brown, and the feelings mutual. Big%20smile

So we won't give you any medals if it transpires. Sorry.

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 12:54pm

As I have said before, By Monday we will have a new PM - David Cameron.

Not a difficult conclusion Captain C! When we consider that labour/Lib Dem wouldn't have much of a majority, and Clegg dislikes Brown, and the feelings mutual. Big%20smile

So we won't give you any medals if it transpires. Sorry.
I might be wrong, looks like it be a few more days before a deal is done

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 1:02pm
Before Wednesday I think, when the nutters are back at work, abusing each other in the Commons.

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 2:44pm
I think the nutters only go back to work on the 18th.

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 3:24pm
Righto, I did hear them say something about Wednesday though on News 24, and why preferably it should be before then.

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 5:27pm
If there's no deal in time for Monday AM, expect the FTSE to drop a good bit, along with Sterling.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

If there's no deal in time for Monday AM, expect the FTSE to drop a good bit, along with Sterling.

Maybe not, I think the markets know that there is a deal almost on the tables. I think the markets would prefer a good deal, rather than one done over one weekend.

Date Posted: 09 May 2010 at 9:36pm
Maybe, but the markets won't wait very long. 2 weeks+ before a Greek saving deal is finalised, and everyone needs to get out of the Euro *now*. They'll go straight to the dollar if there's no good news Mon/Tues.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 2:22pm
Here is the latest from sky News,
  http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100510/tuk-sources-tories-and-lib-dems-have-a-d-45dbed5.html - http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20100510/tuk-sources-tories-and-lib-dems-have-a-d-45dbed5.html

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:10pm

Don't worry CaptainC, the coalition will be fraught with difficulty, they'll be at each others throats, unable to agree on anything, and then in 6 months, when the labour party have a new leader, there will be an election and the labor party will take the reigns. Big%20smile

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:20pm
It's not for certain yet...

Quote 1514: All the signs are that there is as yet still no deal between the Lib Dems and the Tories, says Nick Robinson. Nick Clegg and his negotiating team have been briefing their parliamentary colleagues for almost an hour and a half already. The word I hear is that, though there's been no outright rejection, there's also been no acceptance either. Meanwhile, Gordon Brown is preparing to make a statement in response to the final outcome of this meeting, which he may use to set out an alternative way forward.

Something like, I'll hang around till Labour have a new leader and then get out of your hair.

Quote But it has now emerged that the Lib Dem negotiating team has also been in what appear to be parallel talks with Labour - meeting Lord Mandelson, Ed Miliband, Ed Balls and Lord Adonis in secret at the weekend.

Now Nick Clegg is asking the very same people who've been trying to bite chunks out of their Conservative opponents to cuddle up to them, and hand David Cameron the keys to Downing Street.

Excitement and concern

This makes many Liberal Democrats feel nauseous to say the least.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/ - http://news.bbc.co.uk/

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:32pm
At least the pressure is off economically for a few days while everyone revels in the Euro bailout (although that's a poisoned chalice if the Eurozone buy up loads of worthless Greek bonds, and knowing the Greeks they'll keep spending and go bust in 6 months anyway).

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Posted By: papeg
Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 3:45pm
knowing the Greeks they'll keep spending and go bust in 6 months anyway

Now, this I believe.

-------------
Greg

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 5:06pm
Well well well, we're off!!! Broon starts formal talks with the Dems, offers himself up on a plate and asks for a Labour leadership contest.

So that could be another new un-elected Prime Minister, with even less of a mandate, from the 2nd place party from the election.

Doubt the public will like that - but happy days! Bring on another election in 18 months!

*facepalm*

Why don't we just ditch ALL the politicians and let the Civil Service run the country, as they're doing ok over the last 4 days so far!

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 5:32pm
So that could be another new un-elected Prime Minister

But thats the case anyway Slopey. If the conservatives try to run the country on their own, Cameron would be an unelected leader.

The system here is a parliamentary system, not a presidency For a party to win, they must get a majority, the Conservatives didn't, no one won the election.

Brown has done the right thing, agreed to step aside to facilitate an agreement, in the interest of the country and his party. Time to stop slating the guy for everything.

And on offer from the labour party, is a FULL coalition, not the conservators half-hearted affair.

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 5:34pm
Bring on another election in 18 months!

Maybe, maybe not. If successful it may work. That labour party and the lib Dem's have similar polices both ideologically and politically.

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 6:26pm

Don't worry CaptainC, the coalition will be fraught with difficulty, they'll be at each others throats, unable to agree on anything, and then in 6 months, when the labour party have a new leader, there will be an election and the labor party will take the reigns. Big%20smile

Or a landslide for the tories. Unemployment will go up under the tories. But most of the unemployment will be within the public sector. Far cheaper for us tax payers to pay the dole to bunch of useless Public sector managers, than £100 000.00 pa for keeping them in a job.
And then there are their pensions. What a load of rubbish. I know a retired firemen and policemen all earning a pension of over £20 000 pa. And that is after only 25 years of service. Both retired before they were 50. And that is for the rest of the lives. If they die, their spouse will continue to get that pension. And my mother, oh she gets about £110.00 per week state pension. Okay she does get an extra £300.00 pa for energy bills as she is over 80. There is a big concern about interest rates rising under a conservative goverment, but there are more savers than borrowers. Low interest rates only help the banks make more profit. And then I could go on about ............, but I leave it there for a momentWink

Date Posted: 10 May 2010 at 7:21pm
Whoever gets into power the Unions have already said they'll run the country into the ground (further).

The Unions don't give a toss about joe public, they are self satisfying politicos with agendas - look at the BA strikes for example.

I say leave it to Labour - they'll be totally ineffective trying to stop their paymasters from striking. It'll be a summer of discontent, the Libs will be tarred with the smelly stick for auctioning off the government to the highest bidder, and they'll both be obliterated at the next election.

Clegg went up in my opinion 100% when he said he's stand by his guns, but he's gone down 100% again for playing both parties off against each other.

He's not the kingmaker, he's a Lib Dem leader who FAILED to perform and LOST seats. The Lib Dems support is not worth prostrating the policies of either the Tory or Labour party, and this could all spectacularly backfire on Cleggy.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 9:40am
Whoever gets into power the Unions have already said they'll run the country into the ground (further).

Links?

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 12:49pm
The Conservatives have said they will only offer the AV system of voting. This benefits only the Conservatives (again) which is precisely what we are trying to get away from.

If the Lib Dems accept that offer from the Conservatives, it will be a very bad day for them and the country.

These talks should not be in secret - they should be held in public. We should then get a vote on which option we want as a country.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Posted By: Rich
Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 12:52pm
The furthest-left and the furthest-right parties are never going to be able to work together on any sort of a lasting basis. Apples and oranges. Labour and Conservatives are more alike than Lib Dems and Conservatives

-------------
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Just-Flight/15266573498" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 1:27pm
Quote The Conservatives have said they will only offer the AV system of voting. This benefits only the Conservatives (again) which is precisely what we are trying to get away from.

If the Lib Dems accept that offer from the Conservatives, it will be a very bad day for them and the country.

Well said Pointy.

And you heard that right folks, I did say ''well said pointy''.  Big%20smile

Quote The furthest-left and the furthest-right parties are never going to be able to work together on any sort of a lasting basis. Apples and oranges. Labour and Conservatives are more alike than Lib Dems and Conservatives

Well said Mr Ras too.

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 1:35pm

Links?

No specific link - it's common knowledge in industry. We have several thousand contract staff involved in refineries, construction, pharmachem, and white collar staff and we're aware of a groundswell of Unionist action. So much so we're getting out of contracts where it'll be problematic.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 2:43pm
I'll ignore it then if you can't provide evidence.

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 2:54pm
Suit yourself. (Not everything on the planet happens on the internet you know. Our people one ground let us know what's happening, until it's news, it won't appear on the net somewhere). Just be prepared for a summer of Union disruption. When the austerity measures hit, it's going to be a nightmare.

And if Labour are in opposition, expect them to back the Unions to the hilt.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 3:38pm
The Conservatives have said they will only offer the AV system of voting. This benefits only the Conservatives (again) which is precisely what we are trying to get away from.

With a referendum, which means there is a chance they wont get it. Its not like they are saying they will put it into force without one, unlike Labour.

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 4:00pm
Quote The furthest-left and the furthest-right parties are never going to be able to work together on any sort of a lasting basis. Apples and oranges.

Actually, I've found apples and oranges taste very good together.

I'll show myself out.

-------------

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 4:51pm

Links?

No specific link - it's common knowledge in industry. We have several thousand contract staff involved in refineries, construction, pharmachem, and white collar staff and we're aware of a groundswell of Unionist action. So much so we're getting out of contracts where it'll be problematic.

Can you elaborate without naming names as to how this might happen?

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 5:51pm
Not without getting into trouble most likely. But there are groundswells of support in the healthcare, transport and education industries.

When the cost cutting starts, they'll object, and that means withdrawing labor. Many of the other unions are being lined up in sympathy.

Also, there's an election/leadership contest coming for Unite.

Anyone seen Tony Woodley since the Unite strike of BA was completely in-effectual? No? What a surprise. He was raining fire and brimstone on BA regarding strikes which didn't work. He now has to "vanish" and let the BASSA people take the blame for BA while he works towards becoming leader of Unite.

Currently, there's more than one leader of Unite, and they can't even stand to be in the same room as each other - that's the mentality.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Posted By: roachy
Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:04pm
So then... to all you people who voted Lib Dem...
Did your party twist the knife around when they stabbed you in the back with it?

-------------
Luke Roach

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:39pm
[quote=Slopey]Suit yourself.[quote]

Indeed, everything in the world doesn't happen on the Internet, but rather a lot does, and if such a union conspiracy was a reality, I would expect there to be something about it on the Internet.

Therefore, as you can't provide any evidence whatsoever, I'll just regard it as... ''something you said.'' Smile

You are indeed, a man of  mystery Slopey, with your secret sources and James Bond lifestyle. Big%20smile

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by roachy roachy wrote:

So then... to all you people who voted Lib Dem...
Did your party twist the knife around when they stabbed you in the back with it?

No idea what you mean Luke, no deal has yet been formalized, no details of a possible deal released. So not sure how you can make that comment.

If the Lib Dem's and Conservatives do form a full coalition, which according to recent reports seems likely, then it will be the only option available, that is if you want some kind of a government to run this country.

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:38pm
Quote If the Lib Dem's and Conservatives do form a full coalition, which according to recent reports seems likely, then it will be the only option available, that is if you want some kind of a government to run this country.

It's not the only option, a minority Tory government would also be an option.

It's the preferable option, especially if it has a fixed term agreed.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:50pm
Quote especially if it has a fixed term agreed.

They're talking 3-4 years according to reports on the radio.

Best regards,
Vulcan

Posted By: Marmite
Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 7:53pm
Doesn't seem overly democratic that the fate of the UK lies in the hands of the smallest of the 3 mainstream parties

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 8:54pm
Job done. Happy New Prime Minister day!!!

Now they just have to get the coalition past the Lib Dem Exec Council/Party.

-------------
AirHauler Developer

Date Posted: 11 May 2010 at 9:28pm

Job done. Happy New Prime Minister day!!!

Now they just have to get the coalition past the Lib Dem Exec Council/Party.

I agree, Happy New Prime Minister Day!!! Yey YeyBig%20smile

Yes, I think it will get past the Lib Dem Exec Council, no backing out now!

Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 9:28am

Mr Cameron, 43, was installed as PM on a dramatic day that saw Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg announced as his deputy.

Four other Lib Dems will take cabinet posts in what is the first coalition government in the UK for 70 years.

Mr Cameron vowed to set aside party differences and Mr Clegg urged doubting Lib Dem voters to "keep faith with us".

The coalition is the first time the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats have had a power-sharing deal at Westminster and the first coalition in the UK of any type since the Second World War.

I suppose there is a slim chance that Nick Clegg can talk some sense into Cameron, as he's his deputy. But more likely Cameron's arrogance will reign, and the coalition will fail, pronto.

Clegg is deputy PM, so subordinate, in other words Cameron is boss and Clegg does as he's told.

Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 9:30am

·         There will be a "significant acceleration" of efforts to reduce the budget deficit - including £6bn of spending reductions this year. An emergency Budget will take place within 50 days

·          Plans for five-year, fixed-term parliaments, meaning the next election would not take place until May 2015

·         The Lib Dems have agreed to drop plans for a "mansion tax" on properties costing more than £2m, while the Conservatives have ditched their pledge to raise the inheritance tax threshold to £1m

·         The new administration will srubbish part of Labour's planned rise in National Insurance and will work towards raising income tax thresholds for lower earners

·          A pledge to have a referendum on any further transfer of powers to the EU and a commitment from the Lib Dems not to adopt the euro for the lifetime of the next Parliament

·          The Lib Dems have agreed to Tory proposals for a cap on non-EU migration

·          The Conseratives will recognise marriage in the tax system, but Lib Dems will abstain in Commons vote

·          The Lib Dems will drop opposition to a replacement for Britain's Trident nuclear missiles but the programme will be scrutinised for value for money

·           There will be a referendum on moving to the Alternative Vote system and enhanced "pupil premium" for deprived children as Lib Dems demanded

Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 4:40pm
Watched the press conference earlier on BBC One and i must say i was impressed. Cameron and Clegg spoke and answered questions equally together, Cameron didnt take all the limelight or only let Clegg speak when he found a question a struggle to answer. They both had equal time to speak and there was no sense of hostility between the two.

suppose there is a slim chance that Nick Clegg can talk some sense into Cameron, as he's his deputy. But more likely Cameron's arrogance will reign, and the coalition will fail, pronto.

Clegg is deputy PM, so subordinate, in other words Cameron is boss and Clegg does as he's told.

To be honest i think it may work, if not i still think it may go past a year.

Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 6:08pm
Quote Watched the press conference earlier on BBC One and i must say i was impressed. Cameron and Clegg spoke and answered questions equally together, Cameron didn't take all the limelight or only let Clegg speak when he found a question a struggle to answer. They both had equal time to speak and there was no sense of hostility between the two.

Oh yes, well of course, they are hardly likely to be anything else than bosom buddies at the moment.

Lets see if you are saying that in 12 months time. Clegg is not the PM. The PM will ultimately call the shots, Clegg will be annoyed,  his Liberal Democrat colleges around the cabinet table will support him, and the whole coalition will be a farce.

Or, they will get on swimmingly, Cameron isn't as arrogant as I thought, he will set aside party politics for the sake of the country, he and Clegg will fall in love, and the cow will jump over the moon.

To be honest i think it may work, if not i still think it may go past a year.

A year yes, maybe. Who knows, most political commentators will be very dubious I would have thought though. Just picture the goings on in the commons, and the back stabbing and egos that are always involved in politics. Liberal Democrat, party members will no doubt be irritated, as the Conservatives settle in and start pushing ''their'' policies more agresively. At which time, the antagonism between them will take it's toll.

Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 7:07pm

No idea what you mean Luke, no deal has yet been formalized, no details of a possible deal released. So not sure how you can make that comment.

If the Lib Dem's and Conservatives do form a full coalition, which according to recent reports seems likely, then it will be the only option available, that is if you want some kind of a government to run this country.

Ah how things change in just one day! For the first time in my life I've also contracted an eye infection this morning, so I'm blaming it on all the slime coming from No. 10 at the moment .

Like Slopey said, a Conservative minority government would also be an option and I think it'd work better than the current coalition - I don't like the idea of a Conservative government one bit but I think that there are going to be more inefficiencies than benefits from the current setup, especially as Clegg is now in a non-job (well, almost) and most of the cabinet are Tory.
Also, I'd think that there will be another election within two years, which would absolutely cripple the chances for Lib Dem and make it hard for Labour because both parties have naff all money to campaign with. The Tories on the other hand have Ashcroft's almost unlimited pot of (metaphoric) gold to dig into: all they need to do is campaign the hell out of all the marginal constituencies out there and they'll win by default. As well as that, because they'll have only been in for such a short term before this next election is called I'd be very surprised if any blue constituencies turn: the government won't have been in long enough to cause any discontent from their misguided economic and/or social policies.

-------------
Luke Roach

Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 7:10pm

[Clegg is deputy PM, so subordinate, in other words Cameron is boss and Clegg does as he's told.

In all seriousness the deputy PM does pretty much nothing apart from the two weeks or so when the real PM is on holiday. But Clegg has been so quick to jump into bed with the Tories something tells me all he really wants is a title and to pretend he has some sort of power - rather than wanting to try and really give the country a fresh start.

-------------
Luke Roach

Date Posted: 12 May 2010 at 7:11pm

Oh yes, well of course, they are hardly likely to be anything else than bosom buddies at the moment.

Lets see if you are saying that in 12 months time. Clegg is not the PM. The PM will ultimately call the shots, Clegg will be annoyed,  his Liberal Democrat colleges around the cabinet table will support him, and the whole coalition will be a farce.
 A year yes, maybe. Who knows, most political commentators will be very dubious I would have thought though. Just picture the goings on in the commons, and the back stabbing and egos that are always involved in politics. Liberal Democrat, party members will no doubt be irritated, as the Conservatives settle in and start pushing ''their'' policies more agresively. At which time, the antagonism between them will take it's toll.

What's the difference between the Tory coalition and IKEA?

IKEA can made half decent cabinets .

-------------
Luke Roach

Date Posted: 13 May 2010 at 8:58am
Like Slopey said, a Conservative minority government would also be an option and I think it'd work better than the current coalition

Seriously doubt that Luke. I am dubious that the coalition will last, as Liberal and Conservative ideology is often diametrically opposed... however, a Conservative only option would have been untenable. They wouldn't have been able to pass any law, without a big enough majority.

agree with much of the rest of your post. And a damn fine joke. Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: 13 May 2010 at 9:03am
Originally posted by roachy roachy wrote:

[Clegg is deputy PM, so subordinate, in other words Cameron is boss and Clegg does as he's told.

In all seriousness the deputy PM does pretty much nothing apart from the two weeks or so when the real PM is on holiday. But Clegg has been so quick to jump into bed with the Tories something tells me all he really wants is a title and to pretend he has some sort of power - rather than wanting to try and really give the country a fresh start.

Yep, it does seem to smack of... ''good grief lads, for the first time in many decades we have a chance of a semblance of power, grab it quick while we can.''

On the other hand, they had little choice.

The Conseravitve only option would have been a disater, as they didn't have a big enough majority to form an effective government, and labour [according to senior sorces in the party] seemed not to be interested in a deal from the begging of the negotiations.

I'm sure Gordon was, but others in his party, senior negotiator,s weren't. Hence, it was destined to fail. Leaving Lib Dem only one option remaining, if the country was to have an effective government at all.

Print Page | Close Window