This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FSX - acceleration - PK1 - PK2 - vista 32

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1 hand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FSX - acceleration - PK1 - PK2 - vista 32
    Posted: 08 Sep 2009 at 3:13pm
I'm a "new boy" with fsx, pk1, vista 32, and just flight, computer info:
       model:               Packard Bell IMIDEA X2416
        processor:        intel core quad Q8200 @ 2.33 GHz, 2.34 GHz
        memory (RAM): 4 GB
        system type:     32 bit operating system
I'm not a programmer but get on with basics. Since I've been reading the various topics that interested me I realise that there is a lot for to learn, not just flying.
When I purchased fsx gold adition it said 'with acceleration', (I can't run fast)
With all the topics I am confused. Looking at some information they say "if you have acceleration you don't need PK 2, and other snswers to questions state like - "with that plane you need PK 2".Question
Another thing that comes to mind is that my computer seemed good but now I realise that it needs much more.
Will this be: more RAM, if so I'll need 64 bit as 32 bit has a maximum of 4 GB. If so will it mean changing the morther board and everything will be back to 'square 1'?
Changing to a much more powerful video card?
I hope some one can help me with this.

John

Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 7:32pm
FSX Gold includes Acceleration Expansion Pack (i.e. it is compatible with all software that requires Service Pack 2). Not only do you not need to download and install SP2, you shouldn't install the separate Service Pack 2 download.

I see three options that you have to obtain computer hardware that is better performing. With FSX, your most important consideration should be CPU performance and buss speed. Also important--but secondary in importance to the CPU and system buss--is a quality graphics card. Here are the options that I recommend you consider:

1. Upgrade the CPU and motherboard.

2. In addition to upgrading the CPU and motherboard, obtain the best-performing graphics card that will fit into the case of your current computer. (The graphics system in your current computer is weak). Look at the power requirements of the graphics card, too, since most high-performance graphics cards need quite a bit of power. Purchasing a new graphics card may require purchasing a better power supply--although a power supply that is adequately powerful to meet the requirements of your new graphics card may not even fit into the case of your current computer. Additionally, your case must be able to accomodate an adequate number of fans to provide sufficient cooling. If you see that you will need a new power supply and/or a new case, my third option would be a better choice, although there are other good reasons for going with my third option, too.

3. Buy a new system that contains both a superior motherboard and a superior CPU, and be sure to obtain a system that has a power supply and case size that is sufficient to accomodate a superior graphics card (such as one of the cards in the Nvidia 200 Series). The case should either contain multiple cooling fans or have openings for adding additional fans. Add the fans, and replace the fan that comes with the CPU with a custom high-performance CPU fan. A high-performance graphics card usually comes with its own built-in fan. You should still add the custom fan for the CPU as well as additional fans. My own system has a fan on the power supply, a custom fan on the CPU, a fan in the graphics card, a fan on the side of the case, a fan at the front of the case, and a fan at the rear of the case (in addition to the power supply fan). If you buy a new system, by all means go with a 64-bit operating system. At this point, I recommend installing 8 GB of RAM in a new system. At a minimum, get 4 GB of RAM in a configuration that leaves RAM slots open for installing an additional 4 GB of RAM later.
1 hand View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1 hand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 12:36pm
Thanks for the information, it gives me a lot to think about.
Finally it explains that Acceleration Expansion Pack or SP2, so if Microsoft some time in the future upgrade with SP3, my list will show my computer history: SP1, AEP, and future aditions SP3, (like I said I'm not computer literate).
I will go to my local computer shop and discuss with them an upgrade and what it costs, they've been good in the past.
Thanks again.
John
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2009 at 2:13pm
You're welcome, John.

To the best of anyone's knowledge, there will never be a "Serice Pack 3" ("SP3") released. Flight Simulator X, and earlier versions of Flight Simulator, were developed by Microsoft's ACES Studio, and Microsoft permanently shut down ACES Studio, earlier this year. The Service Pack 2 that was integrated into the Acceleration Expansion Pack in your Flight Simulator X Gold Edition is likely the final service pack.

There is acually a fourth option available to you that could provide better-performing hardware. Before I list the fourth option, be aware that I recommend the use of a vendor who will build a custom computer system for you if you (and most other people reading this posting) select option "3" or "4." (In your case, since you are unlikely to want to tackle installing any hardware upgrades, yourself, someone who builds custom computer systems should be used for any of the options listed). The reason I recommend having a custom system built is that it will save money, and it will enable you to (within budget constraints) get exactly the hardware you want. Before I had my custom system built, I searched extensively online and found one well-known and reputable vendor of custom systems whose pricing no other vendor could match. (There were some other vendors whose pricing came close). As a result, I saved over 50 percent when comparing my custom-built computer system to truly comparable pre-built systems. Although that level of savings is atypical, it does show the considerable savings possible by going with a custom system.

Also, for both options "3" and "4," I recommend you start a new system by selecting a quality computer case with features that will mean you can stick with that same case and will not have to replace it in order to do any future upgrading. (Moving all of a computer's components to a new case takes considerable labor and, therefore, adds expense). So start with a case that will last. Although an aluminum case costs around twice as much (or more) than a steel case, I recommend aluminum for its superior heat dissipation. Don't get stuck with having to go to the trouble and expense of moving a computer system from a steel case to an aluminum case that you later realize you want and need. Get the aluminum case up front. Be sure the case is of sufficient size to accommodate both current needs and future needs. Many motherboards (the most important component of any computer system) are quite large, and if you decide in the future to get a new CPU for your already custom-built system, you may have to replace the motherboard to get a motherboard with the chip set that is compatible with the new CPU. None of us know what the size of that motherboard will be, so get a large case. Remember, a large case also provides room for large graphics cards, too.

Option "4" is simply this:

4. Get a new custom-built system with lesser specifications than those I recommended in option "3." With this system, too, order a large case and get a power supply with plenty of power. Getting a large case with plenty of room for fans, room for a large motherboard, and room for a large graphics card, and getting a power supply that will meet future needs, means that you will save money in the long run, since you will not have to replace the case or power supply before installing the upgrades that you will likely want and need in the future.

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic