This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Constellation Professsional
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leftward Tilt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LTCSZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leftward Tilt?
    Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 11:44pm
When I take off in the Connie, I am experiencing a serious left tilt...Almost uncontrollable...I have calibrated the joystick, and I do not have this problem on other planes...Suggestions are welcome!

Hedgehog
kymsheba View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymsheba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2009 at 12:42am
Only a suggestion but some people turn their autopilot on while still on the ground and when they take off the auto pilot does some crazy things like tilting to one side IF you do have the auto pilot on before leaving ground turn it off autopilot should be engaged once in the air.

Like i said only a suggestion as i don't have this problem but i did an experiment with the auto pilot on before leaving the ground and once i took off i had the same thing happen.

So if you are one of the people who turn auto pilot on while on ground try it turned off and see what happens.

Hope this helped.

Cheers,
Mike
Cheers,
Kymsheba
boilerbill View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boilerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2009 at 8:19am
I had the same problem, but it was a right turn. When I checked the fuel and payload distribution, I was very surprised to find that the aircraft center-of-gravity was way over to the right of the aircraft centerline. And the surprising culprit was the fuel distribution.

I didn't know it, but FSX had put fuel in one of the two center tanks but left the other one empty. When I checked the aircraft.cfg file, I was surprised to find that these two tanks are not centrally located at all. Instead of being in front of each other, like most center tanks, these are separated by 15 feet! Here is the code in the [fuel] section (the 2nd number is the lateral position of the CG for each tank):
Center1 = 0, -7.5, 0, 1555,  0
Center2 = 0, 7.5, 0, 1555,  0
LeftMain = 0, -5, 0, 790,  0
RightMain = 0, 5, 0, 790,  0

Notice that the LeftMain tank's CG is 5 feet to the left of the centerline, and the RightMain tank is 5 feet to the right. Likewise, the Center1 tank's CG is even further out -- 7.5 ft to the left of the aircraft's centerline, and the Center2 tank is 7.5 ft to the right. So the tanks that are called Center1 and Center2 aren't in the center at all -- their centers-of-gravity are 15 feet apart!

Apparently, each wing contains two tanks. The inner one (called a "Main" in this case) holds 790 gallons of fuel and its CG is 5 feet from the aircraft centerline. The outer tank (called a "Center" by our friendly programmers) holds 1555 gallons and its CG is 7.5 ft from the aircraft centerline.

To remind myself how the fuel is distributed, I made a simple change in the aircraft.cfg file. I changed the names of the 2 center tanks, so that the first two lines now look like this:

LeftTip = 0, -7.5, 0, 1555,  0
RightTip = 0, 7.5, 0, 1555,  0

The names of the two Main tanks were left as is. So now my fuel page reads Left, Right, Left Tip, and Right Tip. I know our Connies don't have the tip tanks that some did, but it's easy to visualize them that way when I'm loading up the fuel.

So the moral of this story is to watch how your fuel is distributed, and don't assume a "center" tank is actually located along the center of the aircraft. Wink
davegrover View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davegrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2009 at 11:12pm
I have noticed that because they are called Center tanks, they do not feed at the same time, which causes CG imbalance problems eventually in a flight.

Your tip tank name change should solve this problem.

Dave  :)
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2009 at 8:54pm

Forgive my 2 penneth here but why not change the centre tank position to "centre":-

Centre1 = 0, 0, 0, 1555, 0
Centre2 = 0, 0, 0, 1555, 0

Would this not sort out the lateral displacements? (and the sequential feed also)

I am awaiting the CD release of this lovely aircraft, however reading these posts I seem to be looking at some "do it yourself" fixes first.  I dont mind these but its a little disconcerting that I read these fixes are needed?Ermm

You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

boilerbill View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boilerbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2009 at 1:01pm
Apparently there are only a handful of recognized names for the tanks. According to the SDK manual, this is the list:
     center1, center2, center3, leftmain, leftaux, lefttip, rightmain, rightaux, righttip, external1, external2

Otherwise, I would have used more descriptive names like "Inner" and "Outer" for the wing tanks. But those labels won't show up in the FSX drop-down menu where the fuel load is specified.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic