This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Praying man let his daughter die

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Praying man let his daughter die
    Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 9:50am
Religion . . . . pft, what a load of Dead

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8180116.stm

The amount the bible contradicts itself is unbeleivable. . . . . Aethism for the win!
Generic forum signature
Minty View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 10:13am
So after she stopped breathing and they - Then called an ambulance, surely his faith would have allowed him to beleive that she would be resurected from the dead.

Its akin to another religion, that I think originated in the states, am not entirely sure, but I think it was the Mormons, where they do not allow blood transfusions.

Nuts if you ask me.

I have no problem with religion and faith of any kind, but it should surely be tempered with a bit of realism, and dare I say it common sense.
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 10:46am
What a needless waste of life. As an Agnostic (still undecided) I respect others religions and how devoted they are to their respective religions. Althogh my grandperants are devoted catholics (and my dad was when he was growing up) I have had no desire to join the faith. Although the man in question obviously contributed to hid daughters demise.

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 1:13pm
Religion is power/control thing. Makes everyone inferior by telling them to worship a greater more powerful being, and that you will be condemned to hell if you don't obey.

I think the sooner religion is given a lesser status, we'd have a happier world. All the islamic terrorism is religion-based. The nutters really believe they will go to heaven if they kill all the infidels.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 5:02pm
"A mystic is a man who surrendered his mind at its first encounter with the minds of others. Somewhere in the distant reaches of his childhood, when his own understanding of reality clashed with the assertions of others, with their arbitrary orders and contradictory demands, he gave in to so craven a fear of independence that he renounced his rational faculty. At the crossroads of the choice between 'I know' and 'They say,' he chose the authority of others, he chose to submit rather than to understand, to believe rather than to think. Faith in the supernatural begins as faith in the superiority of others. His surrender took the form of the feeling that he must hide his lack of understanding, that others possess some mysterious knowledge of which he alone is deprived, that reality is whatever they want it to be, through some means forever denied to him."

"From then on, afraid to think, he is left at the mercy of unidentified feelings. His feelings become his only guide, his only remnant of personal identity, he clings to them with ferocious possessiveness - and whatever thinking he does is devoted to the struggle of hiding from himself that the nature of his feelings is terror."

Ayn Rand
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 8:30pm
Do you know dustbuster... I Keep meaning to pick up a copy of 'The fountain Head'.

I keep meaning to give Rand's work a read. It must be still in print.

For Christmas perhaps.

Quite a lady wasn't she?

Nice post! Thumbs%20Up
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2009 at 9:22pm
Of course they're still in print. Yeah the Fountainhead is like vol. 1 and Atlas Shrugged like vol. 2. She's faced a lot of criticism because of what they claim is a very individualistic philosophy, she did say "Selfishness is a virtue" but if you fully read Atlas Shrugged you'll understand what selfishness she meant, certainly not the one toward your friends. Her philosophy is entirely compatible with my way of living and I don't ask anyone to judge nor do I try and convince anyone to adopt it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic