This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'No doubt' sunbeds cause cancer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'No doubt' sunbeds cause cancer
    Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 10:32am
If you have a wife or girlfriend that regularly uses these things deter them lads. Especially if they are under 30.

'No doubt' sunbeds cause cancer

Woman%20on%20a%20sunbed
Sunbeds emit ultra violet radiation

There is no doubt using a sunbed or sunlamp will raise the risk of skin cancer, say international experts.

Previously, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) assessed sunbeds and sunlamps as "probably carcinogenic to humans".

But it now says their use is definitively "carcinogenic to humans".

Campaigners believe the move, announced in the journal Lancet Oncology, will increase pressure for tighter industry regulation of sunbed use.

The new assessment puts sunbed use on a par with smoking or exposure to asbestos.

However, the Sunbed Association in the UK said there was no proven link between the responsible use of sunbeds and skin cancer.

CANCER: THE FACTS
Sunburn

The IARC is an expert committee that makes recommendations to the World Health Organization.

It made its decision following a review of research which concluded that the risk of melanoma - the most deadly form of skin cancer - was increased by 75% in people who started using sunbeds regularly before the age of 30.

737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 4:59pm
Didnt we already know this ?

I only ever use a sunbed once a year, just before I go on holiday to a hot / sunny country, I'll go to get a base tan so I dont burn to death.
Generic forum signature
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 5:01pm
Uhhmmm - this is news?

People really need to grow a brain. Seems to me most people will only do something (or not) because "an expert said so".

TPTB are currently trying to get people to lose weight by forcing manufacturers to make smaller versions of current products.

If people want to eat themselves to death let them! There is no excuse to weigh 30 stone.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 5:21pm
Just get the fake tan out instead!.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:07pm

Didnt we already know this ?

No we didn't. The evidence pointed to "probably carcinogenic to humans".

After further research the opinion is now 'definitively carcinogenic'.

Seems to me most people will only do something (or not) because "an expert said so".

Untrue, on the whole many people ignore the medical evidence and still do it. Smoking is known to cause cancer but many still do it regardless. Saturated fat is known to be unhealthy but millions still consume it in excess.

If people want to eat themselves to death let them!

Interesting philosophy. So we don't attempt to encourage and educate then, to save millions for the national health, in other words your taxes?

There is no excuse to weigh 30 stone.

Not exactly, many with health issues have an excuse, and you could say that as we are genetically programmed to crave sugar and fat, it's actually the food manufacturers that are partly to blame for using our genetically programmed traits to sell more of their product.

People that weigh 30 stone obviously have issues in terms of either their psychology or their body’s ability to regulate their nutritional intake, probability due to appetite disorders.

There aren't many that enjoy weighing 30 stone actually. It’s a hell of a disability.

There’s more to it than 'pull yourself together.'

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:19pm

Not exactly, many with health issues have an excuse, and you could say that as we are genetically programmed to crave sugar and fat, it's actually the food manufacturers that are partly to blame for using our genetically programmed traits to sell more of their product.

People that weigh 30 stone obviously have issues in terms of either their psychology or their body’s ability to regulate their nutritional intake, probability due to appetite disorders.

There aren't many that enjoy weighing 30 stone actually. It’s a hell of a disability.

There’s more to it than 'pull yourself together.'

I would disagree with that.  How did they get that big in the first place? Over eating which is their fault.

I get so angry when C4 make programs about overweight people, it just enncourages people to get fat.  Also why do all the supermarkets seem to sell '2 for 1' on fatty foods?  This is not helping the matter, but people shouldn't give into temptation.  Shops need to sell healthy food cheaper.
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:26pm
The other problem tom is the steryotypeing that goes on. It annoys me that people judge on the way others look not on who they really are. Its a visous circle, people call fat people names, the people eat more and the names get worse and the eating gets even worse

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:31pm

I would disagree with that.  How did they get that big in the first place? Over eating which is their fault.

Don't think you read my post Tom.

Quote People that weigh 30 stone obviously have issues in terms of either their psychology or their body’s ability to regulate their nutritional intake, probability due to appetite disorders.

It's believed that many have a defect in their bodies appetite regulation, they simply don't get satisfied like we do and their appetite is always on, never off.

Viruses have been identified that damage appetite mechanisms. The virus adenovirus-36 to be precise

Hypothyroidism slows the metabolism and causes weight gain.

Being 30 stone is rarely a choice, it's a terrible disability.

There’s bound to be some out there that are a bit mental and keep eating, but don't be naive enough and cruel enough to stereotype all obese people as self destructive. We don't know enough about the biological motivators to make that claim.

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Edward Longe Edward Longe wrote:

The other problem tom is the steryotypeing that goes on. It annoys me that people judge on the way others look not on who they really are. Its a visous circle, people call fat people names, the people eat more and the names get worse and the eating gets even worse

Ok, but why should we pay more tax for fat people to get better health care?  I think in general it is their fault that they are fat and we shouldn't have to pay more tax when they chose to overeat.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:35pm
I think in general it is their fault

You've still not bothered to read anything I've typed.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:40pm
Ok Martin.

There’s bound to be some out there that are a bit mental and keep eating, but don't be naive enough and cruel enough to stereotype all obese people as self destructive. We don't know enough about the biological motivators to make that claim.

The majority are probably over eaters, but I take your point.  The government could do more to help them though.
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

Ok Martin.

The majority are probably over eaters, but I take your point.  The government could do more to help them though.
It can also be inherited

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:48pm

There always seems to be an excuse:  Big boned, inherited, comfort food...

(for most people)  The real fact is, eat less and exersise more.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 7:48pm
The real fact is, eat less and exersise more.

As you get older Tom and your metabolism slows, you'll find it's not as simple as that.

Actually it’s not clear how prevalent adenovirus-36 is, it could be very prevalent.

I suffer from an underactive thyroid [hypothyroidism] along with one in a thousand men and one in a hundred women, that's a lot of people, and one of the effects is weight gain.

It's also known that metabolism slows down with age, and that our foods are packed with hidden sugars and fats.

It's also known that obesity is partly genetic.

It's not as simple as many think. But yes, better education, legislation to stop food manufacturers packing foods with fat, sugar, salt, etc, will all help.

Also more research into exactly why we are becoming more obese as a society because it isn't as simple as fat people are greedy.

Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2009 at 11:45pm
Quote Ok, but why should we pay more tax for fat people to get better health care?

Because the principle of the NHS is to be free at the point of care - for everybody.

Segregating the availability of healthcare is a slippery slope to the US system, where insurance is required and there's a huge gulf between those who have, and those who don't have health insurance.

You're probably too young to appreciate it now, but if you ever have kids, and any of them has any medical complications - you suddenly realise why the NHS is a fantastic organisation.

And also why it's important that people pay taxes. Yes, we all don't like it, but someone has to pay for the Hospitals/Schools/Roads etc etc.

If you ever really *need* the NHS, your viewpoint on taxes and funding will likely change at that point.

I've heard stories of patients in ambulances in the US asked if they want Oxygen, as it'll cost extra.

We want to avoid that kind of segregation and two-tier system at all costs imho. If you want to go private, fine - pay or use BUPA - but that doesn't relieve you of your obligation to pay taxes to fund healthcare for all.

And if you're going to restrict access based on weight, you'd have a field day on smokers - but are you going to deny them treatment when they're in massive pain having smoked all their life?

Not that simple...
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2009 at 9:54am
Spot on Slopey.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic