This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Pair of Well-Done Military Bases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A Pair of Well-Done Military Bases
    Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 7:21am
Those of you who have downloaded my version of NAS JRB New Orleans ("KNBG_Enhanced") and who have read the ReadMe file, know the wonderful hangar and radar models used for the base were provided by developer Jim Dhaenens. If you've been following my military base releases, you also know that I have been, in general, working my way from the U.S. West Coast to the U.S. East Coast. I am currently working on a complete remake of NAS Pensacola, and it will be quite some time before the project is complete. In the meantime, if you have downloaded KNBG_Enhanced, you may be hoping for a nearby Naval base or two that have also been enhanced. Fortunately, you are in luck.

Jim Dhaenens has released exceptionally well-done remakes of Whiting North (KNSE) and Whiting South (KNDZ) in Florida. Forty percent of Naval flight training occurs at these bases. Since Whiting South serves as a training location for helicopter pilots, it provides plenty of helipads for flights between Whiting, Pensacola, and New Orleans. Whiting North provides flight training for airplane pilots.

I highly recommend Jim's renditions of these bases. The detail is extensive and impressive. You will not be disappointed. The name of the file (which contains both Whiting North and Whiting South bases) is whiting.zip. It is available for free download from FlightSim.com.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2009 at 1:45pm
More good news.

If you have downloaded my version of NAS JRB New Orleans, and if you are using Heli Traffic 2009 to provide AI helicopter traffic to supplement Traffic X's airplane traffic, you may already have set up AI helicopter traffic between NAS JRB New Orleans (KNBG) and NAS Pensacola (KNPA). If so, you may have the helipads at those two bases nearly saturated with traffic. If that is the case, you may be wondering where to send departing helicopters from the helipads that are available at Whiting South (KNDZ), which I mentioned in my above posting.

Again, you are in luck, since Jim Dhaenens has done a remake of nearby Spencer NOLF (NRQ). Traffic X does not have its own version of NRQ, and the default FSX version has no helipads even though the base is entirely a helicopter base. Jim's remake of Spencer NOLF provides the helipads.

Spencer NOLF is the base to which helicopters from Whiting South fly to in real life. The file name of Jim Dhaenens' version of NRQ is spnolf.zip. It, too, is available from FlightSim.com.

So get all of the above files, set up some airplane flights from NAS JRB New Orleans and from Whiting North with Traffic X, and save room for some of the new aircraft from Just Flight's upcoming PlusPak for Traffic X.

That's a lot of good news.
jdhaenens View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdhaenens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 3:10am
If you're into Florida, there is also NAS Jacksonville available with the entire seawall full of Helo Parking and NAS Corpus Christi which is both a training command and helo depot for the Army, and a Helo base for the USN.  Evan the coasties are on the seawall.

Also Whiting Outlying Field 8A is available for more rotary wing fun.  All are available at Flightsim.com.  Search by the author's name:  Jim Dhaenens.

The forgoing was a shameless plug for my freeware scenery.!Big%20smile

Thanks for the kind words.

Jim
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2009 at 9:20am
Originally posted by wrote:

jdhaenens

The forgoing was a shameless plug for my freeware scenery.!Big%20smile

Thanks for the kind words.

Jim

Hi, Jim. If you ever develop a modicum of shame, I hope you won't let that stop you from keeping us informed about your latest airport releases! .

Although I read your posting almost immediately after you posted it, I waited a week before replying so that your name would continue to appear as a posting author. (Regular Traffic X Forum users would be the first to tell you that I don't usually extend such a courtesy). . I think it is beneficial for people to know your name. Your military bases are high quality, extensively detailed (usually containing your own GMAX models of buildings), and from the research you do, your bases are among the most authentic renditions around.

I downloaded and installed your Meridian NAS, a week ago, and I populated it with some Traffic X AI flights. I highly recommend your version of the base to all FSX users. Here's a screenshot:

I also think FSX users who do any helicopter flying will certainly enjoy taking off from your Whiting NAS South base and hovering over the extensive work you did with base buildings and  roads between your Whiting NAS South and your Whiting NAS North. I won't include a screenshot. It simply has to be experienced in FSX. (I even drove a ground vehicle up the hill from Whiting South, through the area with all the base buildings, and onto the apron at Whiting North).

Thanks for contributing your posting!

Dan
jdhaenens View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdhaenens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 3:41am
I can't take much credit for NAS Meridian. I just did a quick photoscenery for the ground and added some runway and tarmac markings.  All the real work as far as the custom buildings was done by John Stinstrom.  He had already built the base for FS9 and was gracious enough to let me FSX-ize it. 

Best,

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic