This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Heyfever. . . . Isn't Summer Just Wonderful. . . .
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heyfever. . . . Isn't Summer Just Wonderful. . . .

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heyfever. . . . Isn't Summer Just Wonderful. . . .
    Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:04pm
Yes actually, I do like Summer time. 

BUT !

I hate my heyfever troubles!  Its absolutely hurrendous!  (sorry for yelling)

When I get up in the morning, I need to start getting ready for college.  Now although this might sound stupid to those who are fortunate enough not to have heyfever, its probably one of the most dibilitating afliction you can have.

I suffer from "sneezing fits" in the morning.  This prevents you (well me for sure) doing absolutely everything.  When I say I can sneeze every second for about 15 minutes I'm NOT exadurating.  Then I have to overdose on about 3 varieties of heyfever tablets to knock myself out from the discomfort, but then feel awful when I get to school.

"Stop moaning" I hear you say.  Maybe I am hehe but honestly it's incredibly annoying, and because of the physical side effects it brings (constantly wiping your nose!) it really can prevent you going about your day.  =(

Anybody else suffer ?
any good remedies you can suggest ?

-Chris
Generic forum signature
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:13pm
I too am a hayfever sufferer, but certainly not half as bad as what you're describing!!  I find Zirtek tablets work a treat at reducing the sneezing, runny nose and (my personal most annoying) itchy eyes. Only need to take one a day, and they're tiny so easy to swallow!  Don't overdose on antihistamines - it'll knock you out!  And I wouldn't have said it's a particularly good idea to mix different medication either, that's probably why you feel rubbish!
Kind regards,
Tom
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:13pm
Hi Chris,

I'm a sufferer too, but I cannot recommend over dosing on any medication.

As for me I have my Loratadine (one a day),
Otrivine nasal spay, tried the Vicks stuff but it's nasty,
And allergy eye drops, vital bit of kit.

Works wonders for me.

Cheers,
MarkSmile

Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:16pm
It's odd, I have not really been a sufferer of hayfever but when I cycle down a certain country road I get a runny nose and start sneezing.

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
Kelvin_C-J View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:19pm
I take the same medication as TomW and also recommend it.

Surprisingly enough, this year I haven't relaly been affected at all (touch wood).

What's good about the Zirtek tablets, is that they're small enough to swallow without any fluid at all, so easy to take at any time.
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Edward Longe Edward Longe wrote:

It's odd, I have not really been a sufferer of hayfever but when I cycle down a certain country road I get a runny nose and start sneezing.

Looks like you get very mild hayfever, probably caused by being in very close proximity to either grass or tree pollen on that country road.  All hayfever is is an allergic reaction to tree or grass pollen, though some are more affected than others.
Kind regards,
Tom
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:32pm
Thats the key thing.   Some have it worse than others.

Unfortunately I can have violent reactions to pollen including not being able to breathe. (which is scary = bare in mind this isnt helped by my athsma)

overdosing is NOT recommended
but i suffer so bad its the only thing I can do to get some restbite.

ANY KIDS READING  -   ASK MUMMY AND DADDY BEFORE TAKING ANYTHING THAT RESEMBLES A SWEET
Generic forum signature
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 8:48pm
overdosing is NOT recommended but i suffer so bad its the only thing I can do to get some restbite.

ANY KIDS READING  -   ASK MUMMY AND DADDY BEFORE TAKING ANYTHING THAT RESEMBLES A SWEET

Why not discuss it with your GP then.  Scrub that, you seem to know bestWink.  If your self medication was working you wouldn't have started this post in the first place..

737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 10:04pm
Been there done that Mark, what they prescribe is basic stuff which im taking now. I dont know best . . . if that was sarcasm :P:P

No because I still suffer from heyfever dont i, I dont like having to wake up in a sneezing fit then have to take medication that isnt all that good for the old bod.

HOWEVER, i have got another appoinment for a consultation about steroids with my GP during the week.
they arent too safe either, (can be side effects) however they are very good when they work.  Ill update you if i get them.
Generic forum signature
Matt N View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 10:29pm

Air Con works wonders! It filters the irritants from the air.

Matt.
Originally Posted by MartinW

I use mine for spare knickers when I'm traveling.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by Matt N Matt N wrote:

Air Con works wonders! It filters the irritants from the air.

Matt.

I agree. Thankfully most classrooms at my school are air conditioned and it's an absolute godsend in this heat!
Kind regards,
Tom
Minty View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Minty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 11:24pm
I too am a sufferer.

I put up with the condition and take tablets, stuff for my eyes, which can stain my work shirts if you drip and stuff that you squirt up your nose. I have tried various makes for all 3 - all on prescription, and nothing works absolutely spot on, its more trial an error. What works for one individual may not work for another.

10 years ago I used to have kanalog injections (steroid based) and its great for about 6 weeks - no hayfever at all. I asked for it after piling into the back of a Ford Fiests during a sneezing fit. Luckily no one was hurt as I did see the car through watery eyes and was braking. But due to the runny eyes my depth perception was shot.

But - it works by suppressing your immune system and in my case I came down with Bells palsy, which affects facial muscles. It has the appearence of someone who has had a stroke, and they put it down to the Kanalog injection. Overall I have made a good recovery, except if I am over tired or run down, my left eye does droop a little. Its something only my wife recognises so overall not a problem.

As you can imagine I no longer take the injection, but suffer along with everyone else.

Has anyone tried that hayfever supressor thingy advertised on the TV - its supposed to be clinically tested. You put some prongs up your nose and it emits a red light to suppress the red blood cells in your nose.

Would be interested to see if it helps. I would imagine its not a cure, but any help is always appreciated.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2009 at 11:40pm
Quote You put some prongs up your nose and it emits a red light to suppress the red blood cells in your nose.

Sounds bogus to me!!! .  Why suppress the very thing that keeps you alive? It's histamine that is the problem - your body creates far too much in reaction to the pollen, and it is this that causes the itching and triggers the sneezing reflexes.

I started suffering it suddenly 2 years ago, but talked myself out of it (yes, really!). I hated taking the tablets, so forced myself to get over it, and told myself that pollen isn't bad. Worked a treat. I don't suffer now! Big%20smile  I can feel it start, but I can suppress it quite easily so it bothers me for maybe 10 seconds, then nothing for the rest of the day.

As for your eyes (this is the only thing I can't seem to prevent from occuring so easily): rise them with water until the discomfort disappears, then tell yourself it's a BS reaction and to stop reacting if you feel it start to kick off again.

You maybe think I'm making this up - that's fine - but it works for me, no tablets, and no associated drowsiness.

The mind really can conquer matter.

The break-through was being able to detect the pollen (I could suddenly "smell" it), then I could concentrate on what it was, and stop myself reacting to it. Strange, but very true. Now I find I get a very strong smell of pollen (even if it is a tiny amount) instead of reacting to it (hayfever). No probs!! Big%20smile

I equate it to panicking when you're under water. You tell yourself to calm down as you know you're not going to suffocate. Same principle really.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 7:07am
Shocked Oh! Sounds awful! I've never had heyfever (knock on wood). I hope that you all feel better soon. I wish you the best of luck Chris. Sorry I can't be of any help.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 8:31am
 started suffering it suddenly 2 years ago, but talked myself out of it (yes, really!).

Big%20smile Actually Pointy, the placebo effect can be very powerful, but in your case it's far more likely it would have gone anyway.

Do feel for you guys, my daughter suffers badly.

I don't, but do occasional get a few mild symptoms.
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 9:21am
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Quote You put some prongs up your nose and it emits a red light to suppress the red blood cells in your nose.

Sounds bogus to me!!! .  Why suppress the very thing that keeps you alive? It's histamine that is the problem - your body creates far too much in reaction to the pollen, and it is this that causes the itching and triggers the sneezing reflexes.

I started suffering it suddenly 2 years ago, but talked myself out of it (yes, really!). I hated taking the tablets, so forced myself to get over it, and told myself that pollen isn't bad. Worked a treat. I don't suffer now! Big%20smile  I can feel it start, but I can suppress it quite easily so it bothers me for maybe 10 seconds, then nothing for the rest of the day.

As for your eyes (this is the only thing I can't seem to prevent from occuring so easily): rise them with water until the discomfort disappears, then tell yourself it's a BS reaction and to stop reacting if you feel it start to kick off again.

You maybe think I'm making this up - that's fine - but it works for me, no tablets, and no associated drowsiness.

The mind really can conquer matter.

The break-through was being able to detect the pollen (I could suddenly "smell" it), then I could concentrate on what it was, and stop myself reacting to it. Strange, but very true. Now I find I get a very strong smell of pollen (even if it is a tiny amount) instead of reacting to it (hayfever). No probs!! Big%20smile

I equate it to panicking when you're under water. You tell yourself to calm down as you know you're not going to suffocate. Same principle really.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

I smell a conspiracy .

I'm quite lucky in that I don't normally get the symptoms of hayfever, however I do get a runny nose from time to time (normally in the mornings when there's no pollen around), although thats probably just me being strange.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 10:26am
I just mentioned to my daughter, siting in the chair next to me, watching the telly, about this thread and the number of you that suffer. She simply sniffed a few times, looked at me with running eyes and nose and held aloft her soggy toilet paper. Big%20smile
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 4:24pm
@John, thanks very much, I hope I can get some steroids pescribed so that might calm things down.  And a Happy 4th July for tomorrow.

@Minty, I think the steroids I will be getting are in a pill form.  That droopy face is abit of a put off! haha
Boots advertise that prong thing dont they ?  Havnt tried it but Im scepticle about it.

@Vulcan, I dont see how ignoring it would help me.  I couldnt suppress not stop sneezing and difficulty to breathe with the power of my mind BUT i dont disagree with you, things like a basic headache can be aided by doing things/ignoring it.
Generic forum signature
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 5:11pm
Well, just throwing that out there.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2009 at 5:31pm
I don't suffer from heyfever except for the odd (small) sneezing fit in a field, but, i really do feel sorry for the people who do suffer it must make summer hell.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic