This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Airband radio booster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bradpl6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Airband radio booster
    Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 7:35pm

i own an airband radio(steepletone) and started off with the aerial it comes with but as i live in a valley i thought the aerial may not be big enough so i bought a bigger aerial but this dosnt seem to be working either. my local airport is just over 1 mile away and im not getting nothing on my radio. so i was wondering can you buy a booster of some sort so i can boost the signal that my radio can receive. i hope everyone understands as i havnt put it in the easiest of contextsBig%20smile

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 8:00pm
Bigger isn't better with antennas (antennae?).  The antenna length is related to the frequency band you wish to receive, in this case 108-136 MHz  (voice will be 118-136 MHz).  The antenna that came with the radio should be of the correct size.
mutley View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
Pilot Extraordinaire!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 9:47pm
John is right, the supplied antenna is usually matched to the receiver.

You could buy a pre-amp to boost the signal but if it is no good to start with you could risk making it worse.

Also if you are serious about listening to ATC you should upgrade your receiver to an ICOM or Maycom dedicated unit you will find an immediate improvement .

A a look here http://www.nevadaradio.co.uk/ you may get some ideas.

Cheers
asdfg View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asdfg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 9:41pm
Hello,

The previous posts are correct ...no matter what the size of your antenna, it has to be matched to your receiver.
Location also plays an important role and if you live on a valley, I realy donĀ“t know if a new receiver will help...

Best regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic