This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'Deepest ever' living fish filmed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Deepest ever' living fish filmed
    Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 8:47am
Astonishing, 4.8 miles deep.

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 3:22pm
I wonder how they taste...  Tongue

John
John Allard
ConcordeGuy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConcordeGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 3:38pm
Never mind deep fish filmed, more deep fried!

I wonder how they can't get crushed under all that pressure!
Rides a 1999 Kawasaki ZZR600
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 3:46pm
I wonder how they taste...

A bit fishy john. Wink
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 3:50pm
I wonder how they can't get crushed under all that pressure!

A good question, the pressure must be incredible.

Wiki:

Pressure

Due to the extreme pressure of the sub-photic zones, these animals have had to adapt using the process of natural selection in order to survive. The pressure increases by about one atmosphere every ten meters, creating tremendous pressure when going down thousands of meters deep. In order to cope with the pressure, many fish are rather small, usually not exceeding 25 cm in length. Also, scientists have discovered that the deeper these creatures live, the more gelatinous its flesh and the more minimal its skeletal structure. These creatures have also eliminated all excess cavities that would collapse under the pressure, such as swim bladders[1].

RossUK1 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RossUK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 4:30pm
Very interesting, makes you think about what else we not discovered yet.
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 4:39pm
Just shows how there are more species of fish that are waiting o be discovered!

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 5:39pm
4.8 miles- that's deep! 

Edward how far do you dive?
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

4.8 miles- that's deep! 

I'm guessing not 4.8 miles! .
Kind regards,
Tom
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

4.8 miles- that's deep! 

The deepest I've been is 100ft. its awesome down there (although you don't want to stay down there too long). I'll tell you a story. My uncle asked me 'how deep do you want to go today Edward' so I said can we go 100ft. He said OK but said I needed to get a raw egg for him. So we go to the lockers to get kitted up and he asks me 'have you got the egg?' and I replied yes. He took it of me and put it in his BCD (Buoyancy Control devise or a dive jacket). Thinking that I'd seen the last of the egg we began the dive. Because we wanted to maximize our time at the bottom, we headed straight down (because my dad can't equalize as well as me) we decided to leave him with my auntie and continue. So we get to 100ft and my uncle gets the egg out and starts cracking it against some rock. Amazingly the egg stayed in one piece and I can bounce it in my hand (until a fish decides that a raw egg would make good lunch and snatches it out my hand) I'll dig out a picture!
Happy Landings

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 6:05pm
Here are 4 pictures from that dive at 100ft!
Happy landings
Ed

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 7:01pm
That looks well fun!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2009 at 8:31pm
Great pictures Edward. Where was that dive?
Mrbobo View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrbobo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2009 at 10:51am
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Great pictures Edward. Where was that dive?

In a fish tank! .

Great shots Ed!

Would love to take up diving sometime! I've only done snorkeling when I lived in Port Douglas! The great b reef is amazing!
PoorOldSpike View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PoorOldSpike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 3:00pm
BBC quote- "The fish, known as Pseudoliparis amblystomopsis, can be seen darting about in the darkness of the depths, scooping up shrimps"

SHRIMP- "I don't want no trouble!"
PSEUDOLIPARIS AMBLYSOMOPSIS- "Boy you sure got trouble!"
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 5:04pm

Quote The fish, known as Pseudoliparis amblystomopsis, can be seen darting about in the darkness of the depths, scooping up shrimps.

"No-one has ever seen fish alive at these depths before - you just never know what you are going to see when you get down there."

Hmmm. Why are the fish getting all the attention?  What about the shrimp who also appear to be living there.  This sounds terribly discriminatory - there's obviously some media bias at work here.  I demand equal coverage for the shrimp.

John Allard
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 7:44pm
The "deepest ever" living fish have been discovered, scientists believe.

I thought that, but using my incredible powers of reasoning, I deduced...

Dead shrimp that have sunk to the bottom perhaps John. Smile
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 7:59pm

Quote Dead shrimp that have sunk to the bottom perhaps John.

Aha!  The plot thickens.  Then what's killing all the shrimp?  Why are the media so interested in the fish who are eating all the mysteriously dying shrimp instead of the crimes that are obviously being committed higher up?  They always protect those who are higher up, don't they?

I smell a cover-up here.  Could those fish be in on it?  Why are they lurking down there in the dark if they have nothing to hide - tell me that, eh?  Well, I'll tell you - they're consuming the evidence. There's something fishy about this whole story.  It's probably all a red herring to cover up the conspiracy that's responsible for littering the deep with the dead bodies of all those innocent shrimp. Where's the outrage?  There's a perfectly good conspiracy theory in this and no one seems interested.

John Allard
Aircraft Aviation View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2009 at 8:08pm
John are you a member of the fish police or something?.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic