This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

@ Martin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: @ Martin
    Posted: 02 May 2008 at 6:28pm
Hey, I just received 2GB of ram, making it 4 gigs total on my pc. Tried out FSX, there seems to be a 7 FPS increase for the following settings:
KSEA, 763ER (LDS), fair weather (FSX weather) the rest of the settings are the same as I always use... if you want to know them, I'll post em...
My memory usage with 4GB was 2.61 GB. Hope this answers your question Martin. Yes, 4GB makes a difference over 2GB with FSX.
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 9:21pm
Somehow, Vista uses more memory too... it must have to do with the pre-fetch thing...
Kelvin_C-J View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:01pm
Know this is kinda irelevent, but there's a good freeware program that let's you free your RAM every now and then, I know it works for XP and I used it fine, but not sure about Vista, sure there's an alternative tough.(If your interested)
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 10:45pm

<cough>snake oil</cough> Wink

Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2008 at 11:34pm
I think I'll just delete this topic... never mind.
@Magic: Yeah, I feel the same way as you do... My mem usage is 2.06G right now, so what?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 11:33am
As Magic will tell you, Vista uses memory differently, so the usage thing isn't relevant.

Interesting you see an improvement with the extra memory. Is the sim any smother in terms of stutters?

You could try the same test again, then power down take two sticks out and try again. Your system may be different from the first time you tested it, or did you test and then immediately install and test again.

Kelvin_C-J View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kelvin_C-J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 11:35am
also if you do get stutters the fsx.cfg and texture bandwidth can help you thereTongue
Best Regards,
Kelvin Chilvers-Jones

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Kelvin_C-J Kelvin_C-J wrote:

also if you do get stutters the fsx.cfg and texture bandwidth can help you thereTongue
Perhaps... but you don't get anything for nothing, prbably results in more blurries.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Dambuster Dambuster wrote:

I think I'll just delete this topic... never mind.
@Magic: Yeah, I feel the same way as you do... My mem usage is 2.06G right now, so what?
You need to test carefully, set the frame rate to unlimited and note the fluctuation,

What was the bottom figure and top figure.

Wait 30 secs or so for it to stabilise before you test.

Test in the air and on the ground.

If you test after different delays you may get a Boeing creeping up behind you and frames will drop.
Dambuster View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dambuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 7:21pm
Oh dear... I did try it with 2GB then immediately put 4GB... What you're asking me to do is to being my heavy case out of its hole, unscrew etc... it will take A LOT of time, and patience and that's what I really don't have at the moment... sorry.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 7:52pm
No probs!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic