This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AI Crashes into Terrain in Mountains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apollon01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AI Crashes into Terrain in Mountains
    Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 6:22pm
Hello,

After some flying in Swiss Alpes I noticed that in some mountain airfields the AI crashes into high terrain after take off or during approach (I noticed that while I was cleared to land after a plane on base leg that never arrived - to my great surprise there were rescue helicopters taking off and flying to the crash site... just kidding .).

Any idea if it is possible to influence the way the planes arrive or depart so that they survive their departure or approach?

Thanks.

Milan
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 10:24pm
There was some discussion of aircraft altitudes in this forum at "Is Fleet Database screen only for Random Traffic?" There are many Traffic X aircraft that have their maximum altitude set at 10,000 feet. To avoid the mountain crashes you have observed, you will probably have to increase aircraft altitude settings.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 10:58pm
For the greatest realism, you may wish to increase aircraft altitude settings only for planes that are actually capable of flying at high altitudes.  In other words, planes that have pressurised cabins.  Obviously this is true of commercial airliners. But it is not true of all of the GA aircraft. For example, having a Cessna 152 flying at 30,000 is not realistic. A Cessna Caravan would be OK, and perhaps the Beech Baron (Microsoft don't tell us what model of Baron it is, so I suppose it is fair to "pretend" it is a model that has a pressurised cabin). And, of course, it is not just about pressurised cabins, it is about engines that are capable of handling thinner and colder air at alititude as well. Not to mention airframes that have anti-icing capability. And so on and so forth.

One of the problems for small planes at airfields that are at high altitude (airfields in the mountains) is the fuel/air mix. A cessna will struggle to takeoff and climb at a good rate if the fuel/air mix is not adjusted correctly by the pilot. Without the takeoff and climb-out power that would usually be available at sea level, takeoffs in the mountains can be a problematic.

If you want the realism, do some research on the planes and see which of them are designed to fly at altitude. Then set the maximum altitudes realistically. Adjust the flight plans of the others so their routes will not mean they have to try to climb up over mountains.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic