This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Air Hauler > Air Hauler 1 General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCargo Capacity in AH

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cargo Capacity in AH
    Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 4:29pm

CARGO CAPACITY IN AH

NOTE: This has been discussed in numerous threads and needs to be captured here...

Aircraft that are imported into AH, including the FS default AC, have a Cargo Capacity attribute calculated and assigned by AH.  In AH terms, Cargo Capacity is...

MTOW minus Empty Weight minus FULL fuel weight

AI will always be limited to that amount of cargo.  AI always fly with full fuel tanks and only the remaining load carrying capability is available to them for hauling cargo.  They are striclty limited to the AH-derived cargo capacity as calculated by the expression above.

The owner/pilot has more flexibility.  He is free to trade some fuel for cargo and the AH-derived cargo capacity number is not a hard-limit for him.  If he chooses to fly with less than full fuel tanks he can substitute additional cargo weight over and above the AH capacity in equal measure to the weight of fuel he foregoes.

John

John Allard
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 6:24pm

Maybe a dumb question, but, what AI do first, load cargo and then fuel up the tanks, or Fuel first and then load the cargo?

If the AI load cargo first, is better I think, is possible make this sequence?

cheers,

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 6:40pm
I don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but AI don't load fuel, except in the picture we create in our minds.  AI flights are just a series of imaginary events with scheduled times that get written to a database table.  When their completion time has come and gone they get checked off as complete and the results of those events (AC and AI pilot location, cargo location, monetary transactions, AC condition, etc.) get written to the appropriate tables.

The program module that processes AI operations knows the cargo capacity of the AC in use from the aircraft tables and uses that as a limit for the amount of cargo that can be moved in one trip by an AI with that AC. 

John
John Allard
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 6:52pm
Hypothetically speaking with certainty, all is imaginary Ermm, but in my mind, both examples that I say above it has different results in the carried weights (i.e. cargo).
thoughts...Lamp
David View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 7:33pm
The AI pilot will always load and fly with full fuel tanks, because hypothetically speaking with certainty, they are all pessimists who believe that there will not be any fuel at their destination! Wink

Therefore, it follows that they will only be able to load cargo as per the sum :-

MTOW - Empty weight - FULL FUEL WEIGHT = CARGO WEIGHT ( for the AI people, who may possibly be an alien race called Thargoids, who Duncan has come across previously, certainly hypothetically speaking with certainty) .

Delivering your cargo-Right on the money!
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 8:43pm
When I say i.e. cargo, I was to relate the paid cargo, payload/fee. certainly. .

cheers,
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2009 at 9:06pm

I don't know how to say it any more clearly than this....

AI cargo per trip is limited to the amount in the Cargo Capacity field.

John
John Allard
Chock View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 4:16am
Actually, all this hypothetical stuff can work to your advantage too: I had one of my AI pilots fly to the UK from Russia and the trip was just 20 nautical miles short of the maximum range of the aircraft. I wouldn't do that myself, and no real airline would either, but you can get away with it in AH. .

Al
Herege View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2009 at 1:59pm
Al, but hypothetical speaking, you have a smart AI! .
GabethePilot View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2009 at 8:11pm
Thanks John,

your initial post was an extremely concise and erudite account of the weight/fuel relationship in AH, from both the perspective of Ai pilots and the user. Thank you for making it clear. I am sure anyone who is unsure as to the details, will find it perfectly adequate. 

I had often wondered how the Ai pilots decided on cargo/fuel ratio.

n/b................ TIP: fly Ai pilots from your bases - fuel is cheaper !Wink

spidierox View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 7:22am
Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

I don't know how to say it any more clearly than this....

AI cargo per trip is limited to the amount in the Cargo Capacity field.

John

John,

I was wondering if this fuel loading could be optimized since you have all the figures you need :

* distance
* fuel capacity
* fuel consumption
* cruise speed

This way AI fuel can be calculated, with an additional 10% reserves and does seem
to improve cargo hauling capacity.
Now indeed sometimes we invest in an aircraft which results in a cargo capacity - for AI- that is basically not worth the investment just because the fuel tanks are tipped off each time

Would this be feasible then ?

If you can carry it, we can transport it.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2009 at 2:38pm
Fuel consumption and cruise speed cannot be reliably obtained from aircraft.cfg - they are user-entered values.  Suppose you entered 1 gph and 1,200 knots.  You'd have a race of Super-AI in an instant.

As for AC that come up with a negative Cargo Capacity in AH, that's a problem from the developer of the AC.  Why would anyone build an AC whose MTOW is exceeded if the fuel tanks are filled?  Why put those tanks in the AC in the first place when they can't be used?  The developer screwed the pooch when he created the AC for FS.  It's not an AH problem.

For now at least, AH cargo capacity is what it is.

John
John Allard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic