This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting blog entry from Phil Taylor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting blog entry from Phil Taylor
    Posted: 01 May 2008 at 4:58pm
makes interesting reading. I would imagine he has annoyed a fair number of people who make add-ons for FSX though Ouch

http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2008/04/29/caveat-empt or-fs9-port-overs-may-reduce-your-simming-experience.aspx
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 5:14pm
Hi,

I agree with him on that - developers should use native techniques, and port only where needed (and by "where needed", I mean "because they don't know how to create FSX models").

Porting an FS9 model to FSX is a tough job, but there is little excuse not to do it properly. First, the textures have to be trashed in order to support the new format. Second, animations have to be re-written to work natively with FSX (they're ALL key-framed now, whereas in FS9 you could use macros for some animations). After that, it is just a case of making tweaks to make it play nice. As Phil noted, iut must also be exported with the FSX SDK; those tweaks I mentioned permit a true FSX model to export, even though it wasn't designed from scratch and was based off a model that was used to build an FS9 version.

It would be interesting to know who's porting and who isn't. It's a cheap way to get an "old" product updated to the new format.

One thing he didn't make clear was that the source files are independent of the final, compiled version. It's simply a matter of making them work with the FSX exporter, to support the FSX way of doing things.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 7:03pm
It's similar to one of his blocs from a while back, nothing new.

worth remembering that many of the top developers program outside of the SDK anyway. The Airsimmer guys told me that the SDK is pretty much irrelevant for them for most things.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic